Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
My family went to Yellowstone last summer and it truly was a trip that we will never forget. We loved it! We are thinking about going again but want a behind the scenes tour. Looking for access to the back country that we would not be able to see on our own. When we were there last summer I saw some "safari" tour vans and we want to consider trying that so we can see as much as we can in limited time.

Any suggestions?

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Why yes...go via Canada, as I am sure a month of leisurely hunting and fishing in that far-flung realm will prepare you for dealing with the hoards of tourists just in from Disneyland.

At least, that is my impression of Yellowstone...and America in general.

How do you put up with all those PEOPLE!

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The "Safari" tours just stick to the roads and the major highlights of the park. Nothing you can't do driving about yourself. They do offer narration which is sort of nice. There's a guide at the Yellowstone Association, his name is Leslie something or other and he knows so much history about the park you'd think he lived it all. If you can get on a tour with him it'd be worth whatever you had to pay. As for real back country, I don't know of any companies doing trips like that. I'm sure there are some but I just don't know who they are or anything about what they might offer.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Bring asian repellent. They're thick as mosquitoes.

Camp is where you make it.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
One place to go is the little parking lot at Calcite springs. Take Binos and a camera and walk up the back or to a clear spot on the new handicapped trail. The bighorn sheep like the other side of the canyon from there and very few people take the time to look for them.
P.S. I was the field surveyor on that trail and spent a lot of lunches watching them. One day they were on the trail with me and walked within 5 feet of my lunch /nap spot.

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Tote a .470 Evans Double Rifle....for grizz!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYs2Iwoc_Ss

Last edited by Sharpsman; 05/10/16.

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Why yes...go via Canada, as I am sure a month of leisurely hunting and fishing in that far-flung realm will prepare you for dealing with the hoards of tourists just in from Disneyland.

At least, that is my impression of Yellowstone...and America in general.

How do you put up with all those PEOPLE!

Known several guys that moved to Canada for the hunting and fishing, and a couple more for other reasons.
All, no exceptions, returned to the USA saying it wasn't worth it.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I am also planning on taking my daughter and grand-children to Yellowstone this summer. We plan to do some hiking as well as touring the attractions on the road system.

Thanks to Wyoming260 for the suggestion of taking the hike behind Calcite Springs to spot bighorns.

I'll be watching this thread for more suggestions. Hopefully there will be more ideas for day hikes.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Beartooth HWY, you'll never be sorry

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Here's the National Park Circus's day hike guide.
https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/dhsampler.htm

Stupidity is expensive
IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Yellowstone Tour Guides (out of Big Sky, MT I believe.) offers guided hiking, photography and backpacking trips in the park. I used them a couple of years ago for a private car tour and they were excellent. I can't speak directly to the hiking/backpacking options.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Wife and I are thinking about going in 2 years after she retirees. How late in the fall can a person go to miss the crowds and not get to bad of weather?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The lodging starts shutting down in September. Check the hotels this year to see when they are closing. The change of colors and the elk rut are pretty cool that time of year.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I think they close the roads in October. September till the close down is the best time to be there. You can get some pretty good deals in West Yellowstone, Gardiner, and Jackson for those times as well.

Stupidity is expensive
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Yellowstone's worth seeing. But if you're got some hiking left in you, you need to check out Glacier National Park someday.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There are plenty of options for guided horseback backcountry pack trips too. Both day rides and multiple day trips.

Although the one or two hour rides with 20 of your "best" friends would be a little lame.

After Labor Day there will be less people than in summer, but don't think you'll be alone. September in Yellowstone is great and lots of people know it.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
We go to Cody Every year for our May 6 anniversary and usually spend 1-2 weeks in the area. This year the east gate didn't open until may 6 and the Jackson/teton entrance doesn't open until may 13. If you go in the fringe seasons, spring or fall,West Yellowstone gate is almost always open and the town has plenty of good accomodations. Cody is our favorite and we intend to hike every trail between Cody and Yellowtone. Did 9 miles on the Elk Creek trail on Sunday and had a ball.

We have seen Elk, Bighorns, Muledeer, Buffalo and 2 Griz while hiking both side of the North Fork of the Shoshone east of Yellowstone. You have easy access to several Wilderness areas and no Oriental tourists. Be prepared for any weather and have and have a ball in one of the worlds' best places.

mike r

Last edited by lvmiker; 05/10/16.

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Yellowstone set an attendance record last year of just over 4 million visitors. This year they are predicting 8 million visitors, brought on by the 100th anniversary celebration of the NPS. Yikes.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I'm glad you enjoyed Yellowstone and I don't know what other parks you've visited but I would reconsider the notion of hitting Yellowstone more than once.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
We are torn between going back to Yellowstone or possibly visiting Glacier. We don't know how many more trips we will be able to do, so that is a factor in seeing a place we have not been to. Thanks for that thought flave. BTW, we went to Cody and the museum was worth the drive. The high desert was amazing to us.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

503 members (1234, 1minute, 10gaugeman, 280ACKIMP, 1Longbow, 60 invisible), 2,740 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,129
Posts18,502,550
Members73,989
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.