-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It is worth posting the whole story... wink Even if it is dated...

Plane nose breaks through lake ice near Wasilla
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2008

WASILLA - Two men in a small plane have survived chilly plunges in a Wasilla area lake after the nose of the aircraft broke through the ice while taxiing for an attempted takeoff.

Tom Shankster, 52, of Aurora, Colo., and his passenger, Jason Johnson, 37, of Wasilla, jumped from the Piper PA-18 Supercub when the mishap occurred Saturday afternoon on Anderson Lake.

The men swam across a short stretch of open water and crawled onto the ice.

Johnson said the worst part came next, when they faced a 100-yard walk across rotten ice back to shore. The men broke through but managed to climb out.

Neither man was hurt.

The men were flying to a remote campsite to drop off Johnson, who planned to drive back a snowmachine.

The plane was equipped with skis, said Shankster, a former Palmer resident who owns the plane and keeps it in Alaska. He said he might have taken off without a problem if he'd gotten the plane up to speed right away, rather than taxiing into position.

The plane sank up to the wings. Area residents watched it through binoculars as it slowly sank.

A helicopter from Northern Pioneer Helicopters in Big Lake arrived later to lift the plane from the ice. Shankster said he believed the plane is mostly undamaged.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Strange, I must have seen the wrong date as I thought this just recently happened. Need to get some stronger reading glasses I guess.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Nmlarry,

I don't know you from Adam, nor do I really give 2schitts. But I can tell you this, the only bunch of folks tighter than those here on the Campfire are a bunch of Alaskan hunters.

Coming onto this forum with something like 30 posts and having the dialog that you've had in this thread tells me everything I need to know about you.

If this were my website, I'd tell you to hit the road and not to let the cyber-door hit you in the ass on the way out.

Good luck with whatever you're endeavors might be.

Last edited by Akbob5; 02/09/15.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am presently at the Alaska Board of Game meetings and just attended a Dall sheep workshop meeting. Seeing as I've been hunting and guideing sheep hunters for 35yrs quite a few of the people present were known to me it's easy to ask a ?? or 2. The responces about Shanster's operation were unanimous,, totally disorganized mess with never enough guides or legal rams and hunters freaking out just wanting to get the hell out of his camp! [bleep] food and no toilet paper about sums it up,, this is from 3 other people who were just makeing casual observations not trying to codemn him at all.

I tend to use more than enough gun
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
IC B2

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I spoke with my sheep guide in AK regarding Shankster. They tried to get him on wanton waste for the moose hunt above. Apparently, he hired Fitzgerald, who is the guy if you are facing charges with the Alaska State Troopers. Evidently, he got off on a technicality and will be back at it this fall for the next line of suckers ready to piss away their hard-earned money on their dream hunts.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
damn shame to hear that. I know other guides that hate how crooked Shankster is.

But it'll catch him eventually.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I just looked up his case status on Courtview. It shows him having a court date on 7/29, and that his lawyers name is Bergt. I wouldn't say he's gotten off of anything quite yet.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by GrizzlyKid
I just looked up his case status on Courtview. It shows him having a court date on 7/29, and that his lawyers name is Bergt. I wouldn't say he's gotten off of anything quite yet.

Yup

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
TTT, always good for a laugh.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (BALLISTIK, 6mmbrfan, 907brass, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 1,476 guests, and 939 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,222
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.