Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Chipolopolo

About 8 years ago, I discovered fishing in South America. It gives me all the adventure I need, The costs, I can do 4-5 trips to Brazil, Guyana or Suriname for the price of a single Buffalo hunt in Zimbabwe. There is no taxidermy, no trophy fees, no dipping and shipping. The weather is nice all the time. three hours time difference from Arizona (no jet lag) .

So I assume you brought every fish back and is stuck on your wall somewhere. Please post some pics. If you didn't you're an egocentric, unethical sportsman.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
GB1

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by JGRaider

About 8 years ago, I discovered fishing in South America. It gives me all the adventure I need, The costs, I can do 4-5 trips to Brazil, Guyana or Suriname for the price of a single Buffalo hunt in Zimbabwe. There is no taxidermy, no trophy fees, no dipping and shipping. The weather is nice all the time. three hours time difference from Arizona (no jet lag) .

So I assume you brought every fish back and is stuck on your wall somewhere. Please post some pics. If you didn't you're an egocentric, unethical sportsman.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It's called catch and release.

Last edited by Chipolopolo; 05/09/16.
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by smokepole
If you think putting up more pictures is the way forward, carry on.

If you think that's what I said, you should improve your reading comprehension.

I said we shouldn't be afraid to.

Come on Smokepole, That was clearly (I thought) meant to read as "you" the collective.

I understood your comment. I'm not afraid to post pictures either, I just know better.

I can look back at my African hunting and feel pretty comfortable in knowing I did pretty much all I wanted to do. With Ethiopia being the exception. When I did Tanzania in October, I said to myself, several times, this is getting ridiculously complex. The gun permitting, the airlines gun policies, dealing with curt and rude TSA and Immigration officers.

I also appreciate the fact that my days are mine. I have an Indian boat driver, who just goes where I ask him to go. It's all on me. My success or failure is mine an mine alone.

Point being, many of us, myself included consider ourselves sportsman first, hunter or fisherman it doesn't matter to me, I'm an outdoorsman.

I never thought there would come a time in my lifetime that I would see the sunset of hunting in Africa. As Mike70560 states, without the iconic species being hunted, the rest don't stand a chance in wild Africa. There will likely always be game farms for us to hunt if thats what we desire.

Not sure what all that has to do with posting photos, but if you don't want to, then don't.

But don't try to tell me that I can't.

Not trying to tell you what to do. It's called a discussion. Do as you will.

What it has to do with posting photos is, this last episode with the Dentist and Cecil has tipped the critical mass of effort/rewards on hunting to a point that many,many sportsman are looking elsewhere for adventure. There is a thread on another forum right now. It is discussing how African hunting has become so expensive and complicated, many are pulling the plug.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JGRaider

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It's called catch and release.

You unethical slob........

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Egocentric, Unethical slob, Noted.

What amuses me with this forum. There is precious little posting in this sub-forum. This thread, as of right now, has 63 posts and over 3,000 views, since Friday.

There are only a few on the front page that have more and those have been up for weeks or months. There are a few forum "cool kids" here. They seem to set the tone.

It's obvious to me, that someone with real world experience, that has some views contrary isn't really welcome here. So, that said, I won't bother you or any of the other forum superstars any longer.

You know what they say when the name calling starts eh? You've lost the argument.

Cheers and good hunting.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Chip, you keep bringing up Cecil. The issue there was not that the "Hunter" posted a photo. It was the backstory.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Save the money for mounting and shipping, towards another trip

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rather than hijack somebodies thread, I figured I'd start this as its own thread.

I would like to know this forums feelings about going to Africa, whacking a few animals and leaving everything behind.

Further, using those savings of not dipping, shipping, mounting everything to go back sooner?

Steve

I see absolutely no issue with that.

To suggest that someone is not ethical because they choose not to deal with all the hassle and expense is ludicrous.

I am going on my first trip to Africa in a little over a month. I do not have any set plans as to what I will do with any of the animals I have successfully hunted. The hunt and the experience will determine what will get mounted, turned into a rug, European, or stays on continent.

I am not going over there with a grocery list that needs to be checked off, or a tape measure. I am going over with the attitude that I am getting to experience Africa and will gratefully accept whatever the hunt brings.

Taxidermy of our hunts are special to us in this house and each bring back memories of special or challenging hunts, and lifetime experiences.

I am much more concerned about your language of "whacking critters". That tells much about your hunting mentality regardless of what you do after they are "whacked"

Arcus Venator
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
If you ain't bringing back ALL the meat to eat, you're a slob.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
It's obviously up to the individual. No wrong answer IMO.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead
If you ain't bringing back ALL the meat to eat, you're a slob.

Yeah, I'll tough it out being a slob then. cool Really looking forward to the evening meals though. smile

EdM, you are spot on.

Arcus Venator
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by EdM
It's obviously up to the individual. No wrong answer IMO.

Concur..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (160user, 1minute, 10ring1, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 2,398 guests, and 1,358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,162
Posts18,484,348
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.