-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm worried the knurls will hold tape too good and effect accuracy. Better get JeffO on this pronto.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
Please tell me then how a light weight mountain rifle (and yes some of us hunt Elk, Moose, and sheep in the mountains) benefits so greatly from a 12 oz can screwed to the end of it? Not to mention the added length.

I'll try, as this argument always baffles me. Hunter A wants to use a suppressor. Hunter A wants a light weight rifle on which to use his suppressor. Hunter A only owns 8 lb plus guns. Hunter A decides to buy a 6 pound gun for his suppressor. Hunter A now owns and hunts the mountains with a 6 lb, 12 oz setup instead of an 8 lb, 12 oz setup. All other benefits Hunter A seeks from using a suppressor are still in tact.

Last edited by TheBigSky; 05/15/16.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I no longer shoot for recreation frequently. My hunting country is almost depleted of prairie dogs and there are no other colony dwelling targets.

If I shot targets regularly or if I were shooting volumes of the above mentioned pests, I would be all over a surpressor. For that type shooting, a Montana is not even close to first choice.

I'm old, well stocked with all types of firearms, and would be open to a can on a short barreled rifle - in fact my 16 1/4" Contender .223 actually screams for one - but, not on my 24" FN. I don't even like 30" shotguns with pump or semi actions. Too long! Doubles, ok.

Perhaps I need to go modern however, my ears are already damaged. You younger guys are on to something, if you can live with the looks.

Best,

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Yes..... because that 12oz serves a purpose. If you don't own/shoot/hunt a suppressor..... then you have NO idea what you're missing.

Folks just don't know what they don't know.

Especially the spelling impaired; I gonna buy a threaded Kimber that weighs far less than 6.5 lbs BY using the Internet.

Shooting critters and steel targets suppressed is one of the joys of my life.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Looks like a real floor mat eater!

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Yes..... because that 12oz serves a purpose. If you don't own/shoot/hunt a suppressor..... then you have NO idea what you're missing.

Yes I do. 12 ozs.

And a lot of brain cells....

Wow you're a tough guy. Please tell me then how a light weight mountain rifle (and yes some of us hunt Elk, Moose, and sheep in the mountains) benefits so greatly from a 12 oz can screwed to the end of it? Not to mention the added length.

A Montucky with a suppressor is is still lighter than an un-suppressed Rem 700.

I've missed a couple critters in my day.... ones I wish I'd have had another poke at..... can would have helped there....

There is almost no reaction to the suppressed shot by critters.... they have no idea what just happened....

Just because you've never used one.... or don't see the use for one.... or theoritically don't like the length.... doesn't mean it's a bad idea.... it just means you like to make ignorant comments about schitt you know nothing about.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

Yes I do. 12 ozs.

Wow you're a tough guy. Please tell me then how a light weight mountain rifle (and yes some of us hunt Elk, Moose, and sheep in the mountains) benefits so greatly from a 12 oz can screwed to the end of it? Not to mention the added length.

I've missed a couple critters in my day.... ones I wish I'd have had another poke at..... can would have helped there....

There is almost no reaction to the suppressed shot by critters.... they have no idea what just happened....

Just because you've never used one.... or don't see the use for one.... or theoritically don't like the length.... doesn't mean it's a bad idea.... it just means you like to make ignorant comments about schitt you know nothing about.

I never thought about those that can't hit what they are shooting at. Good point. Thanks for the clarification.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Two kinds of hunters in this world.... those who've missed.... and liars.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Two kinds of hunters in this world.... those who've missed.... and liars.

Or those that actually hunt.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I had no idea such an anti-suppressor/thread faction existed.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Peasants..... trying to convince themselves they're not missing anything.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by deflave

Dave

I could care less about the suppressor. Fill your boots. But to do it under the guise of the overwhelming hunting majority is, well, asinine.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Yes I do. 12 ozs.

The few suppressed rifles I shot felt like there was a significant reduction in recoil also (beyond just adding an additional 12 oz of weight).

David

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
There is a reduction in recoil.... but WTF do I know.... apparently I've never hunted a day in my life and can't hit schitt with a rifle....

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

In the past several years, legal suppressor production has exploded. In 2014 the NFRTR listed 571,150 registered silencers while information released earlier this year showed 792,282– a growth of some 39 percent. The numbers of NFA-compliant suppressors currently listed nearly eclipse the total number of select-fire weapons, short-barreled rifles, and short-barreled shotguns, combined.

http://www.guns.com/2015/10/22/bill-introduced-to-remove-suppressors-from-nfa-regulation/

David

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by deflave

Dave

I could care less about the suppressor. Fill your boots. But to do it under the guise of the overwhelming hunting majority is, well, asinine.

I think the majority of the gun community wants a suppressor.

I've never met anybody that didn't.

Dave

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Canazes9

The few suppressed rifles I shot felt like there was a significant reduction in recoil also (beyond just adding an additional 12 oz of weight).

David

The adaptor that my can threads onto is a muzzle brake. You just can't see it with the suppressor attached.

Dave

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Most of the gun community also hunt from a stationary blind, their truck, and pack $500 package rifles.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I like to add an in-line compensator to direct some noise away from the shooter, and protect the crown from the floorboards. Threads are fine with me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Most of the gun community also hunt from a stationary blind, their truck, and pack $500 package rifles.

Guilty as charged on count 1, but my Package Rifle was put together by me for about $3K-ish.

My buddy and I dropped 6 antler less deer and a big bobcat on a control hunt in January with seven shots.

Cat was at 150 all deer 200-350 w CTR .260, Leupold Mark 4, Silencerco Harvester & Fed Premium 120 BTs.

Animals kept coming because there was no thunder. Fairly steady shooting for 50 mins. Pics elsewhere on this forum.

Dogshooter & 'Flave are right; nothing wrong w suppressed. Good suppressors are going for no more than $350 U.S. in Europe because they're socially acceptable, cuts down noise pollution and hearing loss.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (Anaconda, 35, 33sixSS, 907brass, 300_savage, 8 invisible), 1,432 guests, and 930 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,412
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.