Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

So last year I had the hankering to put together another long range plicker of some sort, and really was planning on a 7mm of some flavor. But reality (money) set in, and I made the executive decision to stick with another 6.5-284, as I had 150 pieces of used brass, plus dies, bullets, powder, and the reamer.

I ordered a new SPS 25-06 for the donor, tore it apart, found a Bartlein 3B 8" twist on line in stock, and sent it and the action off to get chambered and fitted. I picked up a McM Sporter on the fire, sent the bolt off for fluting and tig welding, and cobbled it all together when things came home. Managed to topped it off with an extra 5.5-22x50 NF in Seekins rings and 30 MOA bases.

[Linked Image]

Got a decent load with 130 Berger VLD's at 3150, and ran them to 1200 or so multiple times. Also gave the 142 LRAB's a good test too. They shot good, but couldn't hang with the Berger load in the wind.

I did break it in on a buck in Montana last year at 350.

Hard quartering away, devastating....both lungs and the top of the heart....

[Linked Image]

But I still couldn't shake the 7 thought.....
Ended up buying a S/S magnum bolt last year "just in case".

I wanted something more than a 7 mag offered, but didn't want to go with any wildcat with their related expenses with dies and fireforming. I had read a 100 page thread on LRH about the 7x300WM that planted the seed. I knew TiminTn was a 7 freak, so I finally gave him a buzz. He had a minimum spec no turn 7x300WM reamer and a 7mm throater. Shazaam....

I found a 8.5" twist Krieger RV contour in stock, so ordered it and had it sent directly to Tim. Ordered up 500 Berger 180 Hybrids, and another 500 183 SMK's, a couple hundred Hornady 300 WM brass, A Wilson 300WM inline bullet seater, and 300WM Redding body die, and 7Mag neck die. I seated both bullets where I wanted them, and sent the to Tim for proper throating.

7Mag w/162 Amax vs the 7x300 w/183 SMK....

[Linked Image]

GB1

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Next, I decided I didn't want the Sporter stock, as I didn't want to open it up for the new barrel, so I peddled it, and ordered a new Game Warden in Urban Spectre. For the imediate future, I had my eye on a McM Marksman stock, but it was ADL, inletted for a HV contour, and it was OD green....all wrong.....but I bought it anyway.

Tim got the barrel done in short order, and right back to me. I got everything bolted up, but the weather turned to schitt, which gave me time to address the stock.

[Linked Image]

Fired up the dremel, turning it into a BDL, and bedded the floorplate.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Next up I taped up the barrel with several layers of tape to give it a good float, mixed up some epoxy and micro balloons, and bolted it together to set up. Then I ground out and prepped the action and stock, and bedded the action.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh167/alfbucket/016_zpsfhirdbef.jpg[/img]

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Nice work.

A big 7 has been heavy on my mind.

TB, CWD and Covid-19 , free so far.....
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That'll work.

Old wildcat. Been around a long time. Friends built the 7x300 WM back in the 80's.

Similar to the other 7mm's with about the same capacity.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Next up.....address the green ugliness.....

Rounded up the Rust-Oleum spray bombs, some deer browse,
& proceeded with the snow camo motiff:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B2

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Finished product......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sweet, enjoyed the work up and look forward to the results on the range.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
How's it shoot, Al?

Nice looking rig

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Haven't handled the McM Marksman. How do you like it?

I swallowed up the RV contour with ease. Looks like a very nice rig.

Semper Fi

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by roundoak
Sweet, enjoyed the work up and look forward to the results on the range.

Thanks Wayne......range work is done, play time has commenced.....

IC B3

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jowens
How's it shoot, Al? Nice looking rig

Thanks Josh......damn good..... wink

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by haverluk
Haven't handled the McM Marksman. How do you like it?

The A-5's stole the forend off the Marksman, more rounded, and beefier (wider) through the butt. I tend to hold the guns in the mag area with the off hand, and the sharper corners of the A-5 aren't kind, especially with more recoil.

I have several......

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Some bullets for comparison:

120 BT - 140 BT - 162 Amax - 168 Berger VLD - 180 Berger Hybrid - 183 Sierra Matchking

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice work aalf. Sharing pics with the new Game Warden on Thursday?

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 6MMWASP
Nice work aalf. Sharing pics with the new Game Warden on Thursday?

Thanks Mike.

Might be like Santa.....naughty vs nice deal on pics...... whistle

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Looks great! Here's another bullet pic to add:

195 Hybrid, 180 VLD, 162 AM Moly

[Linked Image]

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Jordan,

I had my finger poised on the buy button for the 195's, but chickened out. I felt it was going to be almost a wash in the performance comparing drop/drift with the Hybrids from a hunting standpoint, which I would most likely limit myself to under 1K in perfect conditions, and realistically under 750, depending.

I was hoping for a good load for the two I bought, the 183's for LR play, and the Hybrids for hunting. My OAL w/ SMK's is a hair over mag length, which was planned as single shot anyway with where I wanted the throating, and the Hybrids shoot fine jumping while fitting the mag....win/win.

The 713 BC for the Sierras is real.....

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

So the sole reason for this build was to have a LR toy to replace my 338/300 Ultra that I sold. I never cared for the A-5, it was a tad heavy at 15 1/2 pounds, and while fun to shoot, I didn't want to deal with the blast and concussion in lighting one off any more. I had taken it as far as 1925 yards in the past, and was hard to ignore the performance at distance. To me, it didn't make sense to unleash the beast unless you were going beyond 13-1400 yards or so. Plus I have other things more fun to shoot out to that distance w/o the "drama" and hassle setting up those targets, so down the road it went, and funded the new parts.

Bat HR single shot action, 29" fluted Rock barrel, Hollands brake, McM A-5,
Bat 40 MOA base, Seekins rings, 5.5-22x50 Nightforce.

Berger or Sierra 300 grainers at 2820.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

So the goal was to equal the 338/300 Ultra's performance, which stayed supersonic beyond 2000 yards, keep the weight to around the 12 pound mark, skip the muzzle brake, and still be able to spot my own shots, while making it more portable.

The last requirement was I had to stay within the confines of the feed rails, as this is still a switch barrel gun with the 6.5-284 barrel, and need it to reliably feed either cartridge. That ruled out the Ultra/Nosler sized cartridges.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by aalf
Jordan,

I had my finger poised on the buy button for the 195's, but chickened out. I felt it was going to be almost a wash in the performance comparing drop/drift with the Hybrids from a hunting standpoint, which I would most likely limit myself to under 1K in perfect conditions, and realistically under 750, depending.

I was hoping for a good load for the two I bought, the 183's for LR play, and the Hybrids for hunting. My OAL w/ SMK's is a hair over mag length, which was planned as single shot anyway with where I wanted the throating, and the Hybrids shoot fine jumping while fitting the mag....win/win.

The 713 BC for the Sierras is real.....

aalf,

Sounds like a solid plan! Good to know on the MK's. The 0.755 G1 matches up nicely on the 195's also, out to 1420m at least, which is as far as I've shot them so far. I built a rifle around that bullet, so I'm running it well within mag length and kissing the lands, with the bottom of the bullet shank just below the neck/shoulder junction.

That bullet certainly is an animal, and even makes the 162 look silly in the wind. You can definitely tell the difference between the two when they hit steel. When the 195 hits it sounds like somebody hit the plate with a sledge hammer.

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Sounds like a solid plan! Good to know on the MK's. The 0.755 G1 matches up nicely on the 195's also, out to 1420m at least, which is as far as I've shot them so far. I built a rifle around that bullet, so I'm running it well within mag length and kissing the lands, with the bottom of the bullet shank just below the neck/shoulder junction.

That bullet certainly is an animal, and even makes the 162 look silly in the wind. You can definitely tell the difference between the two when they hit steel. When the 195 hits it sounds like somebody hit the plate with a sledge hammer.

Jordan,

I always start load work in the lands .020" or so. Both dummies were set up for that, with the bullet's pressure ring at the n/s junction too. The Bergers were about .020" under box length, the SMK's about .050" over. I've moved my seater out .010" at the 450 round count. Smart move on my part for not adding the third bullet to the mix for testing at this point. Have you tested jumping the 195's?

I just ran another side by side ballistic comparison, the 183 .713 BC vs the 195 .755 BC, with a WAG velocity loss of the 195 at 125 fps. A virtual tie across the board at 2K, except the SMK's 3 MOA less drop.

From a LR plinking standpoint, I think the SMK wins, edging the 195's in drop and cost. But from a hunting standpoint, my 180 Hybrids run about 2 MOA behind the SMKs, so the 195 wins there. However, I pointed my Hybrids, so the true figures are likely worse, as I don't want to shoot pointed bullets for hunting.

I was about to replenish my Sierra stash, maybe I should re-think the 195's.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Jordan,

I always start load work in the lands .020" or so. Both dummies were set up for that, with the bullet's pressure ring at the n/s junction too. The Bergers were about .020" under box length, the SMK's about .050" over. I've moved my seater out .010" at the 450 round count. Smart move on my part for not adding the third bullet to the mix for testing at this point. Have you tested jumping the 195's?

I just ran another side by side ballistic comparison, the 183 .713 BC vs the 195 .755 BC, with a WAG velocity loss of the 195 at 125 fps. A virtual tie across the board at 2K, except the SMK's 3 MOA less drop.

From a LR plinking standpoint, I think the SMK wins, edging the 195's in drop and cost. But from a hunting standpoint, my 180 Hybrids run about 2 MOA behind the SMKs, so the 195 wins there. However, I pointed my Hybrids, so the true figures are likely worse, as I don't want to shoot pointed bullets for hunting.

I was about to replenish my Sierra stash, maybe I should re-think the 195's.

aalf,

I do the same thing by starting into the lands about 0.020" and working backwards if need be. I have jumped the 195's a little bit, no extensive testing by any means, but the little I did work with the bullet jumping about 0.060" off the lands showed a lot of promise. A starting load produced a few groups of 5 shots into about 0.5-0.75 MOA, from a couple of different rifles. It's been a very easy bullet to work with so far.

In my rifles I usually get about 100 fps more with the 180 Hybrid than the 195, just FWIW. Though you're right about the cost. The Sierra or a Hornady would certainly be more cost effective when burning through thousands of the things, though the 195's wind-cutting performance and impact on target are pretty satisfying smile

Honestly I'm not sure you'd see much difference between the 3 bullets in all practicality. I'd probably run whichever shot better/was cheaper for plinking, though it wouldn't hurt to try a box of the 195's just to see what it'll do in your barrel. I'm definitely liking the idea of the 195 for LR killing, though ironically the only game animal I've killed with it so far has been a WT buck at 100m *grin*

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very cool, my friend. One of these days you're going to run out of itches to scratch. grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Very nicely written, great pictures. You are very handy with doing your own stock work, the bedding looks great. Glad to have been able to help out, Tim.

My 7/300WM works great with RL25 and the 160 NAB. 3225 fps and nice tight groups.

You get tired of that, we can ream it out to the 7mm338RUM!

Proud Member of the AccuBond Society.......
aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SKane
Very cool, my friend. One of these days you're going to run out of itches to scratch. grin

Ha ha.....doubtful....

One of these days you'll need to get your ass down this way... whistle

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tim_in_TN
Very nicely written, great pictures. You are very handy with doing your own stock work, the bedding looks great. Glad to have been able to help out, Tim.

Thanks.....and thanks for the "help".

My 7/300WM works great with RL25 and the 160 NAB. 3225 fps and nice tight groups.

Load stuff coming for mine....been too damn busy.

You get tired of that, we can ream it out to the 7mm338RUM!

That's OK, I'm good...... wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How do you like the Game Warden?

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 6MMWASP
How do you like the Game Warden?

I'm not sure yet. Probably wont give it a ride till fall.

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Another reason for the 7x300 was I had a couple left over 8 pounders of H-1000,
that should be been perfect for the cartridge.

Priming the new Hornady brass, I was surprised how easy some of the primers seated. After the initial firing, fifteen or so never made it to round two, and that number again after round two. I have 60 some left now, still going on their 4th & 5th firings.

Shooting at 200 yards with the H-1000/183 Sierra SMK combo, 77 grains yielded a best group of .880" at 3147 fps.

Best group also, at 1.1", was with the same 77 grains and the 180 Hybrids at 3175 fps.

I went to 80 grains with both, and got the first tattoo, so felt I was OK at 77.

I loaded up a bunch of both at 77 to test seating. All loads were .020" in the lands, and I went off in .015" increments.

The Sierra didn't like getting off the lands at all.

The Berger Hybrids lived up to their reputation as not being fickle in seating preference, laying in a nice 1" group .080" off the lands, leaving plenty of room in the mag box for hunting.

So the results met what I was going for, the Sierras for play, the Bergers for fur.

Except.......

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

I didn't care for the Hornady brass, and while I got decent accuracy,
it seemed I could never got consistent results.

So, I sent back the other 100 pieces of Hornady brass, and ordered some Nosler.....
world of difference. Luckily I always use my Sinclair priming tool, as the 'ol Lee Auto-Prime woulda fell to pieces trying to seat primers.

At the same time, I had a burning desire to try some R-33. Just so happened the closest supplier had an 8 pounder in stock. After another round of testing with both bullets, I settled on 82 grains with either giving single digit ES's at 3125 fps.

I went back the next day and bought another 8...... wink

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]

Play time.....

[Linked Image]

The victims from 550 to 1K.....

[Linked Image]

Moved back a little to stretch to 1400 or so....

[Linked Image]

Aftermath.....

[Linked Image]

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

FYI.....for the new Sig rangefinder fans.....

The 2nd closest jug, at 625 yards, the orange one sitting just on this side of the creek bank, the Sig could not pick it up to save it's ass......

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That's interesting......geezus which of these damned rangefinders is worth crap? confused

I need a new one...

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH
That's interesting..geezus which of these damned rangefinders is worth crap?
I need a new one...

You'll like the Sig, as you don't shoot beyond 600, and you're not worried about ranging a coyote laying out in the middle of flat ass nowhere. It's reload speed is amazing, and does damn good to 1K for the most part.

That day it struggled ranging on the jugs as I went further up the hill, and couldn't get the last couple, which was 1K or so. Ranging into a hillside is a piece of cake, the level schitt on small stuff is a problem.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Got it. Will it pick up individual deer?

My Leica flunked that last year in Kansas.

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Got it. Will it pick up individual deer?
My Leica flunked that last year in Kansas.

Like most answers....it depends....900, 1200, 1600?

I had the old style 1200 and liked it, but when I built the big 338, I was outshooting it's capability, so I was forced to update to the 1600B. That ended up marginal for my needs, so I updated again.

The sunlight plays a huge role in getting consistent readings too. I haven't had the opportunity to range many deer with the Sig yet, but the small testing so far is favorable.

As inexpensive as they are, you can buy one, give it a good workout, and peddle it w/o losing your shirt if it doesn't meet your needs.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good. Thanks. Scott said his findings are like yours. I will give one a go.

I was pretty frustrated in Kansas last year...even short readings were tough on the deer.

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

More play time.....

Filled up some more jugs with colored water:

[Linked Image]

Backed up a little bit and got set up:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Not really the best day to be out there, as it was cold with the winds huffing & puffing more than predicted. But worse yet, it had rained a little bit, which made spotting impacts sketchy at best. The bullets were just bombing out little divots. Managed one kill for my effort though.

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Aalf what do you like about the Nosler brass v the Hornady? What makes groups/shooting with the Nosler brass more consistent?

v/r
Joel

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Judging from your other posts Al, I take it the Game Warden wasn't the ticket? Pros/Cons; the good, the bad, the ugly.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by joelkdouglas
Aalf what do you like about the Nosler brass v the Hornady? What makes groups/shooting with the Nosler brass more consistent?Joel

I had a 375 Ruger, & I thought the brass was great.

With this brass, the primer pockets were too loose on some right out of the gate. The Nosler brass has some TIGHT pockets. Maybe it was just this lot number, I don't know.

It was the R-33 that seemed more consistent, not the brass. I'm still shooting 60+ Ruger cases.

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WiFowler
Judging from your other posts Al, I take it the Game Warden wasn't the ticket? Pros/Cons; the good, the bad, the ugly.

Dean,

The white Marksman was supposed to be a stopgap measure till the Game Warden came it. After putting all the effort into it, it seemed like a backwards move to schitcan it in favor of the GW.

I thought long & hard on selling the GW, but for what this gun was built for, I much prefer the Marksman for those endeavors.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Any comments on how the comb height of the GW compares to the HTG? Biggest complaint I have with the HTG is the comb is too low for my liking. I've had KMV hardware installed in half of my HTG holdings,to date. Debating on whether to 'dump' the others and go to a chassis - XLR or MDT LSS-XL.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Any comments on how the comb height of the GW compares to the HTG?
Biggest complaint I have with the HTG is the comb is too low for my liking.

As is most other's complaint.....

I shouldered the HTG, GW, and the Marksman trio a hundred times trying to find an objective favorite. Specs say the GW's comb only has a 1/16th height advantage over the HTG.

Very seldom can I shoot prone where I go long, and I tend to hold lower than most, so my preferences are a bit less critical in that regard.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't do a lot of prone shooting either - too damned hard to get back up! That said, off a bench the HTG is shy in the comb height department.

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Interestingly, I went through various McM specs on combs and still haven't quite figured out the 16th or two of hate for a HTG vs others:

A-5 - 1/4"

Varmint - 1/2"

Sporter - 1/2"

Mountain - 9/16"

Game Scout - 9/16"

HTG - 5/8"

Classic - 11/16"

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

A little tidbit I forgot to include on the last outing:

It was at 1785 yards......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

But can ya hit anything close, and in a no-wind condition? grin

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Looks like you were still in the same ball park though . laugh

TB, CWD and Covid-19 , free so far.....
aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

But can ya hit anything close, and in a no-wind condition? grin

Depends on your definition of close........bigger grin..... grin

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Time to stretch it a bit more.....1825 yards...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The previous night's forecast called for light winds this AM, so I went out after supper that night to set the steel up, to take advantage of good conditions.

Well that didn't pan out, the wind never did lay down and was still huffing as soon as I rolled out of bed. Right in my face too....oh well....

[Linked Image]

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

So I dialed in 56 MOA and took two sighter shots in the dirt to foul the bore and get a wind reading, then moved over on the 24" square (12x24 each) steel.

First shot was the low/left hit, next was the low impact in the dirt just below it, 3rd was the upper right hit, 4th was just a RCH left of the steel (in the shadow), and 5th was the low right hit. I'm calling it around a 24" group. Not bad consider the head on blow.

[Linked Image]

Looking back.....

[Linked Image]

Set-up was at the back treeline in the gap three quarters of the way to the right by the tallest tree....

[Linked Image]

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

FYI....the Sig could not range the steel nor the treeline anywhere behind it....

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I need to get my sig out and see if I got one of the greatest things ever or one of the good enough for my needs kind. I haven't took a shot over 300 yards all year so it's not been a priority.

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kaleb
I need to get my sig out and see if I got one of the greatest things ever or one of the good enough for my needs kind.

I'm not dissing the Sig, just give my experiences and the limitations I have found with it.

Right now, you'd think you have the Superman of rangefinders in your mitts with all the foliage on the trees and brush. I too can range houses, barns, water towers, etc to ungodly ranges, but typically don't find many critters to shoot holed up next to them.

Again, for most people's needs, they are the cat's ass to sane distances, just not the holy grail some state.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
It'll be fine for me then. I've never shot past 1000 and don't get to do that anytime I want. I can shoot to 675 when I want and I still have plenty of practice to do there..haha.

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Last time at 1850 or so....just jugs for targets....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Some of the carnage....

[Linked Image]

Exit of 183 SMK.....zero expansion....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Nice shooting!

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Lol....sure is. I do good to do that a thousand yards closer

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just damn

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
You are having waaay to much fun.....

Proud Member of the AccuBond Society.......
aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Thanks all, tis a blast, but I can't leave well enough alone.

Stay tuned.....
whistle

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[font:Arial Black]Thanks all, tis a blast, but I can't leave well enough alone.

This, I know. laugh

Looks like you're getting plenty of calcium. *grins*
I'm guessing you're not shooting today.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Looks like you're getting plenty of calcium. *grins*

Understatement there.....if I get under a half gallon I start to panic. Always buy two at a time.

I'm guessing you're not shooting today.

Fuc that......

[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
To fuel your contemplative fire:

7WSM, 30" Brux bbl, 162 A-max, R-25.

[Linked Image]

Lawton single shot, left port, right bolt, Shehane Tracker stock.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by horse1
[Linked Image]
Lawton single shot, left port, right bolt, Shehane Tracker stock.

I'll see your Lawton and raise you a Bat, single shot, dual port, Shehane, etc....

[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I was more pointing out the nearly 3400fps 162's.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by horse1
I was more pointing out the nearly 3400fps 162's.

That didn't go unnoticed.....

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Sticking with the "can't leave well enough alone" theme.....

I was running low on the 183 Sierras, and was all set to restock the stash, but the nagging thoughts of the 195 Bergers were still festering. I could ignore it no more, and made the executive to order a box.

[Linked Image]

7MM Lineup:

120 BT - 140 BT - 150 BT - 160 Sierra - 162 Amax - 168 VLD - 180 Hybrid - 183 SMK - 195 Berger

[Linked Image]

Loaded up a few test rounds in one grain increments, & hit the "range". Set up the target at 200 yards with a switchy tail wind, and found the sweet spot in 12 shots.

[Linked Image]

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Finally had a narrow window of opportunity, weather wise, to give 'em a test out further. So I got out there by 6:30, got the steel set up, ran a few jugs out another couple hundred yards, and moved back to the 720 yard mark:

[Linked Image]

Almost zero wind, so I dialed in the come-ups, and let one go at the far right steel:

[Linked Image]

Damn....shot two more:

[Linked Image]

I had the 6x47 Lapua along as well:

[Linked Image]

Shazaam....

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I knew you wouldn't be able to resist! grin

Those 195's are fairly wicked. It looks like your dope is pretty spot on- did you base your come-ups off of advertised BC values? They're hammering for me, with published numbers...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I knew you wouldn't be able to resist! grin
Those 195's are fairly wicked. It looks like your dope is pretty spot on- did you base your come-ups off of advertised BC values? They're hammering for me, with published numbers...

I gotta blame you for pushing me over the edge...... smile

I just ran JBM's simplified version with the .754 BC at 3010fps to 2000 yards. It's within a click to 1K so far. I got tangled up last night and never finished my post to show the 1000 yard results.

Guess I'll have to point a few to see what improvement it gives way out there.....

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Keep us posted. I'll be interested to see what pointing does for you on those bullets

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

So after the 720 yard performance, I moved back to the 1000 yard mark, hoping for a repeat. Of course, the wind decided to make an appearance by then.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I dialed in the up, with a couple MOA of wind, & sent one sighter in the dirt. That went a hair high right over the spot, so I clicked down two and moved to the steel and banged off three. The first two damn near touched, with the last one a bit right....

[Linked Image]

Grabbed the 6x47 Lapua, and had the exact same result....

[Linked Image]

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Next up, I dialed one MOA out of the Lapua's scope, and proceeded to ventilate the three water jugs.

[Linked Image]

Just got the deed finished, when the farmer came rolling in to cut first crop hay. I was planning on moving back to 1400 or so, as I had set some jugs out in the far field that had been baled already, not knowing he still had hay to tend to up and around the corner. Snapped a few pics, loaded up, and headed for home.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

^^^^^^^

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

641 members (007FJ, 160user, 1minute, 1234, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 66 invisible), 2,828 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,370
Posts18,469,135
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.