So last year I had the hankering to put together another long range plicker of some sort, and really was planning on a 7mm of some flavor. But reality (money) set in, and I made the executive decision to stick with another 6.5-284, as I had 150 pieces of used brass, plus dies, bullets, powder, and the reamer.

I ordered a new SPS 25-06 for the donor, tore it apart, found a Bartlein 3B 8" twist on line in stock, and sent it and the action off to get chambered and fitted. I picked up a McM Sporter on the fire, sent the bolt off for fluting and tig welding, and cobbled it all together when things came home. Managed to topped it off with an extra 5.5-22x50 NF in Seekins rings and 30 MOA bases.

[Linked Image]

Got a decent load with 130 Berger VLD's at 3150, and ran them to 1200 or so multiple times. Also gave the 142 LRAB's a good test too. They shot good, but couldn't hang with the Berger load in the wind.

I did break it in on a buck in Montana last year at 350.

Hard quartering away, devastating....both lungs and the top of the heart....

[Linked Image]

But I still couldn't shake the 7 thought.....
Ended up buying a S/S magnum bolt last year "just in case".

I wanted something more than a 7 mag offered, but didn't want to go with any wildcat with their related expenses with dies and fireforming. I had read a 100 page thread on LRH about the 7x300WM that planted the seed. I knew TiminTn was a 7 freak, so I finally gave him a buzz. He had a minimum spec no turn 7x300WM reamer and a 7mm throater. Shazaam....

I found a 8.5" twist Krieger RV contour in stock, so ordered it and had it sent directly to Tim. Ordered up 500 Berger 180 Hybrids, and another 500 183 SMK's, a couple hundred Hornady 300 WM brass, A Wilson 300WM inline bullet seater, and 300WM Redding body die, and 7Mag neck die. I seated both bullets where I wanted them, and sent the to Tim for proper throating.

7Mag w/162 Amax vs the 7x300 w/183 SMK....

[Linked Image]