So the sole reason for this build was to have a LR toy to replace my 338/300 Ultra that I sold. I never cared for the A-5, it was a tad heavy at 15 1/2 pounds, and while fun to shoot, I didn't want to deal with the blast and concussion in lighting one off any more. I had taken it as far as 1925 yards in the past, and was hard to ignore the performance at distance. To me, it didn't make sense to unleash the beast unless you were going beyond 13-1400 yards or so. Plus I have other things more fun to shoot out to that distance w/o the "drama" and hassle setting up those targets, so down the road it went, and funded the new parts.

Bat HR single shot action, 29" fluted Rock barrel, Hollands brake, McM A-5,
Bat 40 MOA base, Seekins rings, 5.5-22x50 Nightforce.

Berger or Sierra 300 grainers at 2820.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

So the goal was to equal the 338/300 Ultra's performance, which stayed supersonic beyond 2000 yards, keep the weight to around the 12 pound mark, skip the muzzle brake, and still be able to spot my own shots, while making it more portable.

The last requirement was I had to stay within the confines of the feed rails, as this is still a switch barrel gun with the 6.5-284 barrel, and need it to reliably feed either cartridge. That ruled out the Ultra/Nosler sized cartridges.