Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thought I would post this while waiting a couple hours for Jack First to open for a phone call. Friend brought by a '39' Model 70 with a broken safety lever/lock.Searching online it appears this is the proverbial hen`s tooth and wondered if anyone here might have a suggestion as to other sources or of a conversion that could be done. The rifle is a hunter having been drilled so am not concerned about collector status.
Joe

"......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Maybe Jim Wisner might be able help....he is on AR.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Luck of the Irish today. The only one Jack had is on the way from SD. Think I will go buy a PowerBall ticket tonight.

Joe

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I was kind of put out with the backwards function of my pre war safety. A pretty good local smith advised that the commercial models available would fit right on. After thinking on it, I decided to leave well enough alone.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I cant give you specifics as to how to fix your friends rifle, but I believe prewar's can be converted with a post war safety.

my '37 has a old aftermarket Tilden lever safty that works like a post war.

One of the wiser more knowledgable veteran members here like BobinNH or Shrapnel will probably know more details.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Interesting. The lever from Jack First came in and will work fine.Am thankful that my friend kept track of the spring and plunger and the pin that holds the lever in position. I say "interesting" because I have a '37' 7xxx serial # and had never given much thought to the safety until now.It is not the same as the one for the '39'and am thinking it must be the Tilden conversion described above . Works like a postwar. From what I can see the installation looks to have required the milling off of the the wall/stop on the original bolt end or replacement with another. It is such a good job with no trace of the pin hole or original stamping I tend to think it was replaced as a unit with the lever.Anybody know ? Yes,as mentioned above the '39' safety that came in is a backward safety and to me is awkward also. I am thankful that my '37' was converted but am sure my bud will be happy to have his working again regardless.
Appreciate the input from everyone.
Joe

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Actually, there are three different configuration safety levers. Type 1 or Pre-War (1936-1947) which I have seen referred to as the 'flag' safety lever, Type 2 or Transition (1947-1948) have seen this one referred to as the 'clamshell' lever safety and Type 3 or Latter Era (1948-1963). As with some other M70 parts, there may be some overlap in the dates these safety levers were installed at the factory....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I always thought the transition safety was cool looking.

Originally Posted by Poconojack
Actually, there are three different configuration safety levers. Type 1 or Pre-War (1936-1947) which I have seen referred to as the 'flag' safety lever, Type 2 or Transition (1947-1948) have seen this one referred to as the 'clamshell' lever safety and Type 3 or Latter Era (1948-1963). As with some other M70 parts, there may be some overlap in the dates these safety levers were installed at the factory....

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Few photos of both of them. The scope on the '37' is a Zeiss Zeiklein with Lee dot in a Noske side mount. When I got the rifle I shot 3 rounds at 100yds that could be covered with a quarter.Have never messed with it and taken several deer over past 20 years.

'37' with the conversion.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

'39' with original. Note last photo with the wall/stop that would've had to be milled off for a side lever.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Check with Ed Lapoure in Bremerton WA...he manufactures some pre 64 parts..I Bought a compleat firing pin and safety set up to convert a model 54 to mod 70..he makes nice parts...

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

182 members (2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 34 invisible), 2,217 guests, and 1,068 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,704
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.