Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Journeyman
I have over 300 custom knives. My comment would be to deal with a "real" professional, not a hobbyist. Some of the pictures of knives folks pay top $ for, with uneven grinds, offset plunge lines, non-symmetrical scales, pins and liners, etc...... is astounding.

Speak with the revered makers on here from the Arkansas, Mississippi, Oklahoma and South Carolina schools and you'll be golden.

this is good advice. my favorite steel is ats-34

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by JeffG
My frustration is getting them to hold an edge.

I know exactly how you feel. Go ahead and buy a "big boy knife" if you want something super nice. I have a couple that I don't use much. However, try applying a small micro-bevel to one of your current knives. You might be surprised by its improved edge holding ability if you have never tried this trick.

Plenty of knife enthusiasts on Youtube have been nice enough to do videos describing the technique better than I can. It has helped me out a great deal when it comes to producing better edges. For example, last year I gutted, skinned, and quartered a decent whitetail doe with a Case pocket knife which would still half ass shave when I was finished and the doe was on ice. I did not cut off the legs or the head with the knife nor did I split the pelvis with it but I did cut through the sternum. IN times past I would probably have dulled a couple of knives doing the same thing on a deer because my edges were weak. I probably could have made at least a good start on another deer with my Case last year before it got dull enough to start aggravating me, maybe finished one off. In the scheme of things that knife is made of "soft" steel. I have learned that a clean, quality edge on a decent mass production knife will last a surprisingly long time. About 30 years ago an old guy told me he could clean a bunch of deer with his Buck knife before it needed sharpening. I thought he was lying but he probably wasn't.....I was just a little ignorant. I should have took the time to ask questions but I knew everything back then.

Another good thing about micro-bevels is that you can easily touch them up a few times if necessary before you have to regrind everything.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rick Menefee makes some good blades. I like his work a lot, along with Tim Olt, David Winston, Gene Ingram, Larry Rossi.
This one, by Rick, has gotten a lot of use.
[Linked Image]

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Find out if there is anyone local making custom knives. Go visit with them. Have them show you their knives, and ask questions. Handle the knives. And then buy the one you like best.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Ive made knives, as an expensive hobby and a means to blow off steam after 5 PM, for 34 years now and am closing in on #3000.
My preferred steel is CPM154CM stainless. Great steel, made in the US (Unlike ATS-34, 440C, and many others). It cuts great, maintains sharpness, easy to re-sharpen and is a joy to work. I also forge, using W2, O1, 1075 and 1084, as well as old files.

To the OP: A $5 Home Depot razor blade will indeed work up a deer. What separates my knife (and other handmades)is workmanship and pride of ownership. I start with American made steel and ensure that it is worked, heat treated and tempered properly...that's what you are paying for. Some of my knives are shown below. You can't find them in the big box stores for a reason. When you study up on various makers & finally make your choice, you'll enjoy your one of a kind knife for years to come.

This is a personal knife of mine. It skinned and quartered an 8x6 bull elk in 2013, then once I came home, it gutted and skinned 4 deer...and still shaved without any touch-up. That's why I love CPM154CM steel:
[Linked Image]

Copy of a Randall 23:
[Linked Image]

Cute little every day carry:
[Linked Image]

I work with Damascus as well:
[Linked Image]

Cute little hunter with stabilized pecan handles:
[Linked Image]

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
IC B2

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Very nice Godogs'.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
MichiganRoadKill is your huckleberry.

this

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Whelenman
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
MichiganRoadKill is your huckleberry.

this

He made a standard drop point hunting knife for me that I won't EVER get rid of. I'll give it to my son when my days are through.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Godogs57

This is a personal knife of mine. It skinned and quartered an 8x6 bull elk in 2013, then once I came home, it gutted and skinned 4 deer...and still shaved without any touch-up. That's why I love CPM154CM steel:
[Linked Image]

How much?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by eastcut96
I have only owned custom knives from a few makers but without question the best knives I have are from Gene Ingram.
I can usually get 4-5 whitetails cleaned before I need to resharpen. That is with S30V steel.
Also Gene is a pleasure to deal with. Half of the fun is talking with him about what exactly you want in your knife.
There is a wait for Genes knives but it is well worth the wait!

^^^This!^^^

A Gene Ingram in S30V is hard to beat! And he is one of the nicest knife makers to deal with in the business.

I also own several from Bob Dozier made of D2 that work real well. But it's at least a 3 year wait, and not near as nice as a Ingram, IMO.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (257robertsimp, 7mm_Loco, 808outdoors, AKislander, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 13 invisible), 1,409 guests, and 839 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,494
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.