Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Allen Day told me that before my first trip to Africa and at least in my experience, he was spot on. I used to go for the double lung shot on game and yes they all died, but they ran a ways. When I switched to the central shoulder shot, animals if they ran, didn't go very far.

If you hunt in places where an animal can run 200 yards before it dies, and there are inaccessible-to-you locations within that radius, lung shots are less likely to put meat in your freezer and horns on your wall than shoulder-heart shots, in my experience.

From my experience with non African game, I have one train of thought. If it has to be DRT for whatever reason, the target is the brain. NOthing else and you better hit it.

Breaking bones even on deer does not render them immobile, only the CNS does that. Spine is too small... brain is the target.

I"ve often wondered WHY shoot an elephant for the brain but nothing else?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Let me add, on precision shots, and all shots for that matter, folks get to hung up, IMHO again, on the fact taht if the PH or guide says you can shoot that animal, they feel its the PH or guide saying you HAVE to shoot that animal and NOW...

The ability to know when and where you can and should shoot is much more important.

I've passed shots on larger animals than I"ve ever seen, because I had not a good shot. OTOH I"ve shot game where I had a good shot a lot farther than most ever will.

The ability to know when and when not to, is very important.

And teh guide should never be saying... hurry he's getting away... or he's going to run....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
What country are you thinking of hunting Bob?

elkhunter: SA and Namib for plains game.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Check references and make sure you go with a very reputable PH and have a solid contract in place. Trust but verify everything. Have fun; it will be great. For buff, you're best to target Zim on your journey from SA to Namibia smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Pat I have a perfectly good pre 64 FW 30/06 here that has never been hunted.

And a good supply of 165 gr Bitterroots.

It's been awhile since I hunted with the 30/06 and would just like to bring that rifle.

.. and more reason to bring it I can not think of.

:-)

To the rifle loon happiness is 'choice contentedness'.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

IC B2

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ready: Exactly. smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rost495
[

Most elephants are taken with heart/lung shots and not brain shots. A brain shot is the preferred target, but harder to hit. Also, elephants are quite easily immobilized with a shot to the pelvic girdle or rear leg bone. As to DRT and the brain, I also have to disagree. Virtually all of the deer (for example), that I've taken with a 257 Weatherby and shoulder shots, have been DRT. In my view the secret is a mix of penetration, shot placement and velocity.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
What country are you thinking of hunting Bob?

elkhunter: SA and Namib for plains game.

cool

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
[

Most elephants are taken with heart/lung shots and not brain shots. A brain shot is the preferred target, but harder to hit. Also, elephants are quite easily immobilized with a shot to the pelvic girdle or rear leg bone. As to DRT and the brain, I also have to disagree. Virtually all of the deer (for example), that I've taken with a 257 Weatherby and shoulder shots, have been DRT. In my view the secret is a mix of penetration, shot placement and velocity.

I think the higher shoulder shot often is close enough that shrapnel, or pieces of bone break the spine, and if it doesn't it gets both lungs. I have more DRT than with typical lung shots.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

I have taken a handful of Cape and NW Red Buffalo, maybe a dozen in total. I've shot them with .450/00. and the 9.3 x62, I've brained them 8mm Mag, dropped one on the run with a .338, and even used a handgun with the 9.3 JDJ. My hunting mates have used .375, .416, and .458s.

I've found a few things to be true.

- Premium expanding bullets are more effectiv than solids in rendering a quick take down.

- a well placed shot on an undisturbed buffalo takes them without drama or complication. A shoulder/lung shot puts them down usually within yards.

- Botch your first shot and they become near bullet proof and you must hit the central nervous system to bring them down quick.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
[

Virtually is the key word there. My 257 Wtby experience mostly mirrors yours with deer/pigs other than I"m not blowing the shoulders or such apart rather simply punching ribs/lungs or heart. Instead of DRT, we get a 30-50 foot run generally. Not enough to worry about. I can see hitting bone, but regardless, virtually is not the same as always.

I'd think, but don't know, that always would be the thing you look for on dangerous game. Rather than virtually.

RE pelvic bone on elephants, thats a preferred shot too? I had not read that. Generally I"ve read very little, but almost all old writings, about braining elephants rather than chest shooting them.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No, the preferred shot is the heart/lung on elephant, mainly because clients are not that proficient on front end brain shots. Side brains are easier, as the ear gives you a decent aimpoint. But they DO run, hence the pelvic or rear leg bone to keep them from running, particularly if close to a concession border.

On buffalo, lion, leopard and indeed everything else, If you shoot the shoulder, you WILL get the lungs and top of the heart. As to "always" on DG, that rates a "DUH". The shoulder shot accomplishes TWO things, punches the heart or lungs area AND degrades mobility, which is sort of important when it comes to DG. A heart lung shot will not.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I learn every day.

RE the DG stuff though not running brain shots on other stuff, (IE I get the elephant stuff, seems lazy that folks don't research and practice but thats another soap box of mine) Why don't you shoot lion/leop/buff etc.. in the head? There is NO issue if you brain those? Again simply the non ability of shooters is my guess? And much larger room for error on a low shoulder shot? Or do you strive for the high one and if you miss top of heart, thats fine, because the chances of damaging the spine are much higher?

I suspect since I was a kid and my mentor taught me brain shots on deer as I grew up, that I"m a bit biased to that shot and how easy it is to locate the brain and that you either know you'll make the shot or you pass it up for the next shot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I learn every day.

Why don't you shoot lion/leop/buff etc.. in the head?

I've taken Cape buffalo with a frontal brain shot, but it's not a big target - between the eyes and under the boss. It worked for me once, but once was enough. Botch that and you have 1600+ pounds of trouble after you.

As for cats, braining them is a bit more tricky. A frontal shot has been known to fail because of the flat slope of the skull has been known to deflect a bullet without penetration. Cats, especially leopards on bait, move around and don't stay still for you to concentrate - often in failing light - on a plum sized target. Add to the equation that a head shot jacks up your trophy.

I took my elephant with the classic heart shot. He presented broadside, and I was confident in the shot. A right and left from my double, and he was down in 50 yards.

I've been a fan of the high shoulder shot. It takes out the lungs and stuns the central nervous system for down on the spot results. If you shoot high, you severe the spine, go low and get the heart.

Truth is Grandad was probably right when he told me to shoot everything slightly behind the shoulder braodside or center of the chest looking at you. Can't really go wrong there.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
And I've always been a fan of A-FRames.....

AFRAME FAILURE.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Read the thread. I'd sure like to know more about the hunt, the brush, the shot, but shows nothing is foolproof.

I've had some superb results with the RWS H-Mantle. I wish I could still find them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DocRocket
. I just finished reading Ian Nyschens' book on elephant hunting,

"Months of the Sun"? Great read! I know several old Rhodesians that knew Nyschens and all said he was one peculiar dude. You'd have to be to spend that much time in the bush. Pondoro's books are some of my favorite reads.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's an old thread as you can see, but the key is velocity. it certainly demonstrates if you are a speed freak, monos are the way to go...

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
And I've always been a fan of A-FRames.....

AFRAME FAILURE.

mmm....never seen one mashed flat like that.

Jorg how about Northfork? Solid base and all that?

The Barnes 270 TSX? Read many good reports on those?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Bob: Truth be told, even though I've mostly transitioned to the TTSXs, the old fart in me still prefers copper and lead. When my best friend and I went for buffalo (he with a 375 and I used a 416 Rigby), I loaded both with A Frames with great results, same for a bunch of PGs where I also used Partitions in my 300 Weatherby, all with great results.What drove me to the TTSXs, was the overwhelming conversion by experienced African and Big Game hunters to them, that and another friend who really helped me with my first safari, experienced a failure with a Partition (not enough penetration) out of his 375 on Buffalo. On the North Forks, even though I've taken no game with them, everyone I know that uses them loves them, including a very experienced and mutual friend John S. My 450NE double LOVES them in both softs and solids and if I ever get back to Africa I will give them a try. Incidentally, for my upcoming elk hunt, even though I have 180 TTSXs loaded up in both my 300 Weatherby and H&H, I just purchased some North Forks and will try them out this week. Lastly, on the 270 TSX, both Randy and Connie Brooks prefer them to the 300 grainer-for buffalo- and the same for the 350 v the 400 on the 416. jorge

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (35, 6mmbrfan, 257_X_50, 2500HD, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 6 invisible), 1,388 guests, and 838 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,511
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.