Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by muleshoe
I get my 2,4-D in a 2 1/2 gallon jug from my local COOP and mix my own. Not sure about the 3 or whatever ounces per gallon of water, I go by the glugs. I mix mine up pretty strong and them yellow devils don't stand a chance.
If it's the 47% stuff then yes, 3.2 oz/gallon is correct (for covering 4,300 sq/ft). You can go a tad higher, but do not exceed 15% (roughly) more than that. All that would do is burn the foliage but not get to the root and you'll be right back where you started in a few months..

Originally Posted by milespatton
Got ready to do some spraying yesterday with my ATV mounted sprayer. I have already used it this year, but yesterday it had pin holes in all the hoses. Looked like somebody poked them with a needle. Could not see them until the pressure hit and then I took a shower. miles
WTH happened to those hoses??

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If you have hard water, it might be good to add some ammonium sulfate (AMS) to the tank as well. I buy mine at Tractor Supply in the herbicide section.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by muleshoe
I get my 2,4-D in a 2 1/2 gallon jug from my local COOP and mix my own. Not sure about the 3 or whatever ounces per gallon of water, I go by the glugs. I mix mine up pretty strong and them yellow devils don't stand a chance.
If it's the 47% stuff then yes, 3.2 oz/gallon is correct (for covering 4,300 sq/ft). You can go a tad higher, but do not exceed 15% (roughly) more than that. All that would do is burn the foliage but not get to the root and you'll be right back where you started in a few months..

I mixed some Remedy Ultra to take out some tough huisache brush. Mixed it strong for IPT treatment, and saw some tough weeds I'd been wanting to hit for while... So I sprayed them while I had the sprayer going. Even though Remedy is broadleaf, it killed the grass around the weeds too... Oh well... wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by speedsixman
Why mess with them ?
I like to see then in bloom. After they go to seed, not so much.
Brightens up the yard, and you can mow just before they hit the seed stage.

Crap, mine can have no yellow when I go to bed, wake up to a yard of yellow by mid morning, and have seeds blowing around by late afternoon. Those things always amaze me how fast they transition.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The guy across the street from me does no yard work until the city leaves him a warning note. Knee-high "grass" which is composed mainly of weeds. Some of them noxious and invasive, such as Dyer's Wode.

And damndelions. Lots and lots of damndelions.

I put down a bag of pre-emergent fertilizer very early every Spring, follow that up with Weed & Feed in late Spring (like now), and two more feedings in early August and late October.

I get very few damndelions, unlike all my other neighbors. The few that show up appear at edges and other thin spots. For those, I either dig or use a spot spray. Not enough of them to warrant napalm (to bring the thread full circle.)

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Dave the 24d products all work well on what you are targeting post emergence, spray before seeding at a young stage for best control. There are really good 24d products out there that are broad spectrum as well and have long residuals which will only have the need to spray once a year (Grazon is one) but may not be available in your area without licensing. Pre-emergence products are a good choice too and can go down to prevent the unwanted seed from sprouting. Atrazine is a good one. Get a handle on it for a couple of years and you may be able to skip a couple of seasons. Good luck...

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
The guy across the street from me does no yard work until the city leaves him a warning note. Knee-high "grass" which is composed mainly of weeds. Some of them noxious and invasive, such as Dyer's Wode.

And damndelions. Lots and lots of damndelions.

You need to visit your neighbors house in the middle of the night with a few gallons of Round-Up. wink

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
When I was unemployed I would take a weed pulling fork and crawl around the yard pulling them up one at a time. Right after a rain is a good time. Otherwise the root breaks off and no real benefit.
But if you pull out the root they don't come back.
You can try Weed be gone and Weed need but I suggest pulling them out. You can make wine out out of them I have been told.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Do not hire the USU grounds crew, they can't tell the difference between glyphosate and 2-4,D.

On the other hand they did kill the dandelions.

[Linked Image]

What would Porter Rockwell do?
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
OOOOPPPPPSSSSS! sorry about that. My bad! Can we talk about that promotion now?

Or was it 'No habla englais"

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
[Linked Image]images by Rick Mulhern, on Flickr

Even birds know not to land downwind!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
stomatador.

That is what you call a 'low maintenance' lawn !

Been tempted a few time to do that myself.

Myron

How many peckers can a Pecker Checker check if a Pecker Checker could check peckers?
(stolen from shootinurse)
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
OOOOPPPPPSSSSS! sorry about that. My bad! Can we talk about that promotion now?

Or was it 'No habla englais"

No language excuses. Apparently it was a labeling mistake BUT he sprayed half the hill before he decided that it didn't smell like 2,4-D (glyphosate/roundup is pretty much odorless). His supervisor took the fall.

What would Porter Rockwell do?
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
roundup smile

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by stomatador
Do not hire the USU grounds crew, they can't tell the difference between glyphosate and 2-4,D.

On the other hand they did kill the dandelions.

[Linked Image]

Oh chit!!

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I know a guy that accidentally did that to his lawn right before his sons grad party. Lol! It was some free chemical, he thought it was 2-4D I think but it was more like roundup. Nice brown lawn for the grad party, killed the whole thing. Lol

Something clever here.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Roundup... (2-4-5-T?) Works every time. Them dead spots in the lawn only last a couple years, A year longer than dog-chit, but those yellow bastids are GONE. Mostly I use it on peripheral stuff- like on the gravel driveway.

Don't do it near the lilac bush or anything important- wife did. After 5 years, the thing is starting to look like it might live after all....

Wee-b-gone doesn't kill the grass, but works slower. Sometimes takes a couple shots a few days apart.

Fighting dandelions is like fighting ISES.... no end to it.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fighting dandelions is like fighting ISES.... no end to it.

Dandelions do not bother me but white flies in my Gardenias do, and I can't get rid of them. On some advice that I received, I use a granule fertilizer called Rose and flower care that is supposed to take care of the problem, but it is just temporary. Any ideas? miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
WTH happened to those hoses??

No idea. Like I said, I have already use the thing this year and no freezes since, so that is not the problem. I just cut off a length when the first one showed, but they kept popping up. Like I said, looked like a needle was shove into them. Squirrels tear up everything here, but they make bigger holes. Leave an extension cord out for a little while and they eat the insulation off. Have had them cut the hoses on a propane torch, but this is different. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Tordon mixed with a little Warbex and some sour gasoline?

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 62 invisible), 2,541 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,716
Posts18,475,719
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.