Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
OP Offline
W
So for most of the family plinking rifles I usually put Vortex Diamondbacks on them and call them good. They do the job and they are reasonably priced. I've been putting together a varmint rifle to try and thin a Coyote boom we are having lately and settled on the Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10x40. After spending some time with it the last couple days and even unmounting a Diamondback for side by side comparisons I'm a little underwhelmed.

The Leupold has much better color and contrast, the glass is a little clearer, but after sunset where the Leupold is supposed to shine with low light I can't tell any difference with them side by side on the same magnification. Supposedly the Diamondback has 92% light transmission and the VX-3i is 98% but I wouldn't believe it. Also the VX-3i has a small field of view which I didn't think would bother me as much as it does.

Am I asking too much from the VX-3i?

GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Diamondback HP's......?

have two 2-8's & one 3-12......all DBC's

love 'em.......call Doug at Cameraland...big sale this weekend

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The Leupie is head and shoulders above the Diamondback. Not even close.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Everyone's eyes are different. For me the the Leupold is much better.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
W
OP Offline
W
Leopold vs Diamondback; Glass quality is a win, low light about the same, and FOV not even close.

It's my first Leupold, and I'm not upset about it, just doesn't fill the need I have. I needed something to bust coyotes with from just before dark to after dark and thought that's what I was getting.

Just wondering how a Viper HS would compare in low light since they are about the same price.

Last edited by WingsFanDetroit; 05/27/16.
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have no experience with Diamondback scopes but love my VX3 3.5-10X40 scope. You mention FOV the Vortex wins but never mention what scope you are using. Looking at all the current offerings from Vortex, the diamondback lineup all has a better FOV listed than the VX3i you bought. I never believe light transmission claims, not unless an independent laboratory has done the testing.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Have had several units from both makers. While Vortex does make models that compare to the VX III, their Diamondback line is not among them. You'd need to go Viper, Razor, etc.

The 'everyone's eye sees differently' line does not cut it here. Everyone can perceive 4 cylinder Japanese cars differently, but anyone who can't discern between a stock Corolla and a Subaru WRX STI has not driven both.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
WingsFan
I'm like you I have a bunch of Leupold. I bought a Diamondback 4x12 ao an its clearer than my VX 3s. I have been a leupold snob for a long time but, There is a new kid on the block and the Vipers are better yet. Buy a Vortex warranty is good as gold.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I have come so close to buying vortex a few times but always go with leupold

Tater
W
OP Offline
W
So to those who have both how is low light on the Viper HS vs the VX-3/VX-3i? They are the about the same price.

Talus, I'll totally agree that the Leupold has better glass than the diamondback, I said as much in my first post. Just hoping that the VX-3i lived up to the low light hype and marketing.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Can't say about the HS, but the regular Viper and the VX3 are very similar.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
You still haven't told us what diamondback scope you are using.

W
OP Offline
W
I have several diamondback models (no HPs) on various rifles.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Wings,

Re low-light hype -- All the scopes I have ever owned would allow me to shoot well after legal shooting hours. That's a few minutes after. Which is not as impressive as it may sound, because lots of light is left then (many times).

I have had Vortex scopes and Leupolds perform this way. The Vortex was a Viper, though.

Of all the scopes I've ever owned, the Leupy holds on a little longer in the VX III class, as well as the 6 x 42 with the better glass.

But live up to the hype? No. None of them do that. They still do far better than my eyes. I have tested this throughout my hunting career, though, which includes many years with better eyes. Lowlight performance gets worse as your eyes get older.

Good Shooting,

Jeff

BTW, I now own an illuminated scope and have never used it after legal shooting hours, so cannot comment on it. If I predator hunt at night, which is legal here, I will.

W
OP Offline
W
Thanks Talus. Because I'm shooting coyotes to protect the livestock there is no legal shooting hours, and from their activity it'll mostly be 1-2 hours after sunset which there is still some light out.

Just trying to find a scope that will gather every last little bit of light that won't break the bank completely.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Can you change the zero on the custom CDS dial or do you have to order a new dial? For instance, if you wanted to change from a 100 yard 0 to a 200 yard 0?

”Those who would give up liberty for security, deserve neither.” Ben Franklin
W
OP Offline
W
Originally Posted by KoolBreeze
Can you change the zero on the custom CDS dial or do you have to order a new dial? For instance, if you wanted to change from a 100 yard 0 to a 200 yard 0?

I think someone posted in the wrong thread.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by KoolBreeze

Just move the dial to 200 yards. But, the zero stop will still be at 100. If you want, you can drill a small hole and insert a ball bearing for a zero stop, just like the factory does. That would save $65 for a new dial. The ballistics and trajectory will be the same, whether you have a 50 yard zero or a 350 yard zero.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
If you have a custom yardage dial, that won't work. The MOA dial will, but not yardage.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by KenMi

.... If you want, you can drill a small hole and insert a ball bearing for a zero stop, just like the factory does. That would save $65 for a new dial.....

This is what I did, and here is what I used Chrome balls on Amazon. Just be sure not to drill the hole to deep... I almost did. smile

"...buzzards gota eat same as worms" Josey Wales
NRA lifer
Hunting is Conservation
RMEF Member
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (007FJ, 160user, 1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 58 invisible), 2,576 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,476
Posts18,471,546
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.