Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#11214955 05/29/16
mog75 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Having recently moved west, and being I've got apples, pears, service berry, and raspberries in my yard I'm trying to read up on bears and I find this comment:

Rich K. says:

November 5, 2015 at 18:26

Park rangers say you should wear little bells and carry pepper spray when in bear territory. THe bells are to keep you from accidentally surprising the bear napping off after stuffing itself with berries, nuts, or whatever. They also say you can identify what kind of bear is in the area by looking at bear scat (aka turds – yes, they DO sh*t in the woods!). Black bear scat will be full of seeds, insect parts, stems from berries, etc. Grizzly bear scat will be full of little bells and smell like cayenne pepper…

It's down in the comments.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/11/dean-weingarten/two-more-bear-spray-failures-in-montana/

I realise I'm not right in the head, but I keep going back rereading it and lmfao. Is it this IPA I'm trying or is that some funny [bleep]?

http://pin.it/_WJQ2xO

and FREE EYEBALL!
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Old joke, but still funny.

Deus Juvat

mog75 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
It's new to me. Any others I should be prepared for? I didn't move far but it's like a different world here. South end of the valley.

and FREE EYEBALL!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Near Victor?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
mog75 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ironbender
Near Victor?

I work between victor and hamilton. Wife works in hamilton. Both in the sporting industry. Renting a place south of Conner. D2. Still trailer trash. grin I own my place in ND and refused to sell it in case this doesn't work out. Going better than expected so far.

and FREE EYEBALL!
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Been through there 3 or 4 times. I have friends/ former l
clients that moved there. Nice place. Good luck with your new endeavors!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
mog75 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Lovin' it so far. Elk in the back yard most nights mule deer in the mornings. East fork bitterroot river ~100 yards off the front porch. 270 is a trophy mule deer unit (We live in it) with slim to none draw odds from what I read. Never was a trophy hunter and never will be anyways. I see idaho almost gives away leftover bear tags so probably try that first. I'm a nonresident according to montana for another 5 and a half months so not really seeing any hunting here as affordable this year. I'm actually going to miss the trapping more than the hunting. Seems almost impossible without knowing someone. We're just concentrating on work for now. Cost of living is low, and we can make it work with what we're doing if nothing changes. We stayed out of the seasonal jobs and have high hopes.

and FREE EYEBALL!
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by mog75
It's new to me. Any others I should be prepared for? I didn't move far but it's like a different world here. South end of the valley.

It is a different world from the rest of the states, except Wyoming.

Another you'll hear quickly is to save the last bullet for yourself in a grizzly encounter. Once you've seen a couple up close ( they skeer me... eek ) I'd opt for the opposite....shoot yourself with the first five, and if that doesn't work, try shooting the bear.

You might consider the same with bear spray...that way you wont be able to see whats about to happen to you.....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Don't forget to file off the front sight on your handgun. That way it won't hurt so bad when a griz shoves it up your backside.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I thought you spayed the bear after you shot it......

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
funny how much bear 'wisdom' comes from people that don't mingle with them much.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by vacrt2002
I thought you spayed the bear after you shot it......

Real men do it first.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Not a bad joke but I'd not venture into grizz country without spray.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A friend of mine had a habituated black bear come into camp. Two problems w/ bear spray for him were wind and range. When they shot it at the bear he simply side stepped the pepper cloud and kept bothering them. Then the wind blew it back at them and they all suffered. Definitely has it's limitations.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My daughter has precious video of the son-in-law carrying bear spray in yellowstone. He had it in the pocket of his shorts with the safety clip off in case he needed it quickly.

For him it quickly became bare spray... laugh

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by tkinak
A friend of mine had a habituated black bear come into camp. Two problems w/ bear spray for him were wind and range. When they shot it at the bear he simply side stepped the pepper cloud and kept bothering them. Then the wind blew it back at them and they all suffered. Definitely has it's limitations.

Reading the can helps.

Dave

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by johnw
My daughter has precious video of the son-in-law carrying bear spray in yellowstone. He had it in the pocket of his shorts with the safety clip off in case he needed it quickly.

For him it quickly became bare spray... laugh

Did he spray himself?

Clark

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh... Yeah....

Soaked his shorts and shirt with it...

Last edited by johnw; 05/30/16.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Having wasted two industrial size cans on two different brown bears at staplegun range I cannot develop any trust in the stuff beyond making curious bears go away.

Guns work far better...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
mog75 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deflave
Not a bad joke but I'd not venture into grizz country without spray.

Dave

It apparently works. I talked to a guy who was putting pepper in his bird feeders to keep the bears from tearing them down.

If memory serves you were one of the guys advocating IPA's. So far I've tried Big Sky and Moose Drool. They definitely slow down the rate of consumption. Any recommendations on that subject?

and FREE EYEBALL!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 160user, 1936M71, 10ring1, 67 invisible), 3,066 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,382
Posts18,469,582
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.