-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
My grandson and his stepbrother both have deer tags for a slugs-only area for this fall.

My first thought was to get a Savage 220 for them to share, but it dawned on me that any one of my 16ga drillings would work fine with a Brenneke slug in the right barrel, and they're all scoped.

Have any of you used a combo gun as a slug gun; how did they shoot?

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Funny you asked this, I just did this for a post over at doublegun. This is the little coyote gun you like so much. The red aiming point is 2".

6.5x58R Sauer/16ga x 16ga Leupold VX-1 1-4x20mm shotgun scope.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by erich; 05/29/16.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I don't shoot a lot of slugs, but I do have one in the hole often in my drillings or my Merkel combo gun when deer hunting. The Merkel shoots the Breneke @ 4" high @50 yards. Prefer them to any other slugs I've tried, but haven't tried the sabot types. I use slugs a lot in locating the center of the pattern also. When working on gun fit for shooters, I use them to determine whether they need more stock pitch or cast off, etc.
I haven't actually shot a deer with one in my combo guns, but have in shotguns with devastating results.

Just need to be sure it's legal to carry one in a shotgun only hunt. My wife's cousin in a wildlife officer in IN where it's shotguns only (though they're trying some rifle hunts this year I think) and it's illegal to use a drilling even if you have no rifle ammo. He has a Sauer drilling he would love to hunt with.

Greg
"An abundance of information can exacerbate ignorance if the information is of poor quality" Tom Robbins
http://classicsportingguns.com/
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My Meffert Hubertus 16/8x57 dural frame drilling shoots slugs from the left barrel to point of aim to 35 yards and is only an inch right at fifty. At sixty five it's almost three and at seventy-five it's almost five inches to the right. Elevation goes fromabout two inches high to just a smidge below point of aim at those distances. The right barrel crosses a badly and carrys no. 1 buckshot. In my O/U 16/8x57 I use a twenty gusage adapter with twenty gauge brennekes. It is good to fifty yards. Both guns wear scopes and have accounted themselves on whitetails. None of my other drilling has put slugs to sights. Both the O/U and drilling shoot as well as my slug barreled 835.
The buckshot loads provide effective patterms to thirty five yards, but nI further.
Bfly

Last edited by Blackfly1; 05/31/16.

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by erich
Funny you asked this, I just did this for a post over at doublegun. This is the little coyote gun you like so much. The red aiming point is 2".

6.5x58R Sauer/16ga x 16ga Leupold VX-1 1-4x20mm shotgun scope.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Love the funny holes those Brennekes cut.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 117LBS, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 60 invisible), 2,407 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,159
Posts18,502,996
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.