Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 16 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 15 16
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Damn I can't wait for the hunting season to start! You boys are board [bleep]! Sh1tless

Last edited by vacrt2002; 05/29/16. Reason: Fixed it

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BullShooter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
... Here's a quote from somebody who used the .270 considerably in its early years: "The expansion of bullets is controlled by various means. One of the first successful bullets of this type was the original 130-grain .270 bullet called by Winchester the Pointed Soft-Point Expanding. It had a heavy solid base, thick jacket along the shank, a sharp point protected from battering by a cap of tin. This is the bullet that made the .270's reputation. I have never seen it fail to perform according to the script and I have shot with it animals from the size of javelina to animals the size of moose."

From page 188 of The Hunting Rifle by Jack O'Connor, 1970, The Winchester Press, 314pp, ISBN 087691007X

That quote sounded word for word like it came out of O'Connor's "The Big Game Rifle" 1952 also.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by vacrt2002
Damn I can't wait for the hunting season to start! You boys are board [bleep]! Sh1tless

You should have edited that post one more time.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If handloading is the order of the day the 280 certainly has it in the bullet selection area.

The 270 has a much better shelf ammo availability.

But then this thread don't have one damn thing to do with the 270.

It's about Finn Aagaard and his thoughts on the 280

It's been turned into the police brigade and forceful recommendations about what may or may not be discussed on the fire have been thrown about.

It appears nobody gives two schits about those recommendations. We're here to discuss many topics including Finn Aagaard

Shod

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by vacrt2002

You should have edited that post one more time.

He still doesn't know, what he doesn't know. grin

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by RinB
I used a 280 a lot until I learned it didnt work any better than a 270. I had mine rebarreled to 270 after I tried to buy but could not find one box of factory ammo. I was driving across southern Idaho into south central Wyoming to shoot an antelope. I stopped at every town from Boise to Soda Springs and all the places across Wyoming without finding a single box. Yes I went into every town and every store.
It is a G33/40, Burgess metal, Monty Kennedy stocked outfit so it was a big deal to put a new barrel on it. I still have it.
The 308 is great but I like the extra velocity of the 270. You can find 270 ammo everywhere big game is hunted.

Shod - Guess who started the 270 aspect in this discussion

Clue - P 2
grin

Just for grins & giggles! laugh

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T

That sounds very much like the Nosler Solid Base, the bullet that eventually got a plastic point and became the Ballistic Tip. But when the Solid Base bullets were soft-points, they held together very well, even at pretty high velocity. I only recovered one back in their day, a 100-grain started at 3000 fps from a .243 Winchester at only 100 yards. It took a whitetail buck in the short ribs on the left side and ended up perfectly mushroomed in the right shoulder, retaining 61.5% of its weight.

I just knew there must be a reason why I have been hanging onto that box of original 270 150 Gr Nosler Solid Base bullets...

Heaven has a wall, a gate and strict immigration policy.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

That sounds very much like the Nosler Solid Base, the bullet that eventually got a plastic point and became the Ballistic Tip. But when the Solid Base bullets were soft-points, they held together very well, even at pretty high velocity.

A few years back and friend and I each had cow tags for the Madison valley. We had access to a big ranch we were living on and could choose our moment to execute our cows. The day finally arrived when elk cooperated so it would be a simple thing to get the truck to the fallen quarry.

My friend was shooting a 300 WM with handloaded 180 NAB's. I had a 270 WIN with handloaded 150 NBT's. We each picked out our cows, both similar sized (on the large side), and both shot. Each of us hit our cows about identically through the ribs/lungs. The range was essentially identical, right at 150 yards. Mine tipped over almost immediately after a couple steps, his took a 25 yard dash. His Accubond was under the hide on the offside, my Ballistic Tip passed through.

So none of this has any bearing on anything, being an example of one, other than that day the 270 was at least the equal of a 300 WM on eating-sized cow elk, and that Ballistic Tips are more bullet than many think!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by BullShooter
... Here's a quote from somebody who used the .270 considerably in its early years: "The expansion of bullets is controlled by various means. One of the first successful bullets of this type was the original 130-grain .270 bullet called by Winchester the Pointed Soft-Point Expanding. It had a heavy solid base, thick jacket along the shank, a sharp point protected from battering by a cap of tin. This is the bullet that made the .270's reputation. I have never seen it fail to perform according to the script and I have shot with it animals from the size of javelina to animals the size of moose."

From page 188 of The Hunting Rifle by Jack O'Connor, 1970, The Winchester Press, 314pp, ISBN 087691007X

That quote sounded word for word like it came out of O'Connor's "The Big Game Rifle" 1952 also.

moosemike-
Agreed. The Big-Game Rifle from 1952 was the first book I took off the shelf to search for MD's quote. I did not find it there, so I went next to the 1970 book where I did find it.

The similar passage in the 1952 book is this: "Western-Winchester preserves semi-spitzer shape with the Silvertip by protecting the soft lead point by a thin jacket of tin. Same stunt was used on the now obsolete Winchester protected soft-point bullets in .25, .270, and .30 caliber. They are now obsolete, but the 130-grain .270 bullet of that construction with its sharp point and heavy reinforced base was largely responsible for making the reputation of the .270 cartridge. It was an expensive bullet to manufacture, but so are the Bronze Points and the Silvertips."

--Bob

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Shodd
If handloading is the order of the day the 280 certainly has it in the bullet selection area.

The 270 has a much better shelf ammo availability.

But then this thread don't have one damn thing to do with the 270.

It's about Finn Aagaard and his thoughts on the 280

It's been turned into the police brigade and forceful recommendations about what may or may not be discussed on the fire have been thrown about.

It appears nobody gives two schits about those recommendations. We're here to discuss many topics including Finn Aagaard

Shod

Amazing isn't it ?

I thought his comments regarding the 7mm Express/.280 Rem within the article which Brad recently posted on the .270 Win were rather prophetic :

"For the handloader the 7mm Express/.280 Rem has the advantage that 175 gr bullets are available for it, but the chap who does not reload will find that a far greater variety of loads are offered by the manufacturers for the .270 than the .280

In any case, the differences between the two are so trifling as to be quite inconsequential for any hunting purposes save campfire discussions "

emphasis mine

Last edited by 338Rules; 05/30/16. Reason: clarity
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So, having shot both .280s and .270s extensively (and having read this whole thread), can anyone enlighten me as to the proper pronunciation of Finn's surname? Thanks in advance!

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mudhen
So, having shot both .280s and .270s extensively (and having read this whole thread), can anyone enlighten me as to the proper pronunciation of Finn's surname? Thanks in advance!

LOL, there was two pages of discussion about this on the Aagaard thread I put up last week.

I've always pronounced it Ah-guard, and Mule Deer confirms that's the way Finn pronounced it himself. However, that wasn't quite good enough and the requisite pole vaulting of mouse-turd ensued. grin

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Brad

That sounds very much like the Nosler Solid Base, the bullet that eventually got a plastic point and became the Ballistic Tip. But when the Solid Base bullets were soft-points, they held together very well, even at pretty high velocity.

A few years back and friend and I each had cow tags for the Madison valley. We had access to a big ranch we were living on and could choose our moment to execute our cows. The day finally arrived when elk cooperated so it would be a simple thing to get the truck to the fallen quarry.

My friend was shooting a 300 WM with handloaded 180 NAB's. I had a 270 WIN with handloaded 150 NBT's. We each picked out our cows, both similar sized (on the large side), and both shot. Each of us hit our cows about identically through the ribs/lungs. The range was essentially identical, right at 150 yards. Mine tipped over almost immediately after a couple steps, his took a 25 yard dash. His Accubond was under the hide on the offside, my Ballistic Tip passed through.

So none of this has any bearing on anything, being an example of one, other than that day the 270 was at least the equal of a 300 WM on eating-sized cow elk, and that Ballistic Tips are more bullet than many think!

Most people who bag on the BT have never used them to any extent. I HAVE been using them since they first came out and they have always worked great.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I too have been using them since the 80's, and have never been disappointed, antelope through elk. Though I've only used them on two elk, one cow and one heavy, mature bull, they seem perfectly up to the chore.

C
C
I have five 280s, the last one a Ruger #1. I would not even dream of buying ammo over the counter for a serious hunt. I guess I would qualify as a rifle loony. I used 140gr ballistic tips for roe deer and wild boar and 140 accubonds for Ibex, red stag and roe. I am not crazy about the 140 gr accubonds, and plan to try heavier bullets next time. Roe deer are no problem with the ballistic tips in 140 gr.
A very experienced friend of mine took the 7X64 to an extensive African trip and was VERY disappointed. He now uses a 270 but for roe only. He bought a 375 also.... He over reacted.
After hitting a relaxed wild boar with two perfect shots using 140 gr ballistic tips we had to track him in a tall wheat field with flashlights in the middle of the night. Now I load 175gr Swift A Frames. This is precisely the advantage of the 280 over the 270. (Also the 280 is way too common for a rifle loony)
I am not deranged, when the wife of a very good friend asked me to choose a rifle for her to give him on his 60th birthday, I bought a 30-06 with a plastic stock and free floating barrel.
So far he has 128 roe, many wild boars and stags, fallow deer, Ibex and has done Scottish doubles on wolf,roe and wild boar. He started with 150gr for roe etc but now uses only 180s for everything.
For my son I chose a 308 and he has gotten his whitetail every year for the last 15. I load monolithic only. I also got him a 300 win mag since he is not sophisticated at all...
I guess the question is who has the most fun....

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy

Popularity has little to do with "killing performance". You really mean to be taken seriously to suggest that a bullet that is .007" difference in diameter is going to eclipse another in "killing power"?

Lighten up. This is just a forum...and it's all for fun.

If you read everything i said, instead of cherry picking,you'd know I think the 280 has nothing over the 270. This business of .007 in bullet diameter making the 280 something special is the purview of the 280 lovers....not me.

So "no" I don't believe there's a difference. Stop putting words in my mouth.

I use them both, interchangeably. There is no difference in killing effectiveness between them. That's bullet dependent.

Popularity has nothing to do with killing effectiveness; but if the 270 didn't work well as a BG cartridge, it would not have sold and been popular.It's record in that regard is obvious. The 280 in all it's various guises, fell flat, because it tried to fill a niche already occupied by the 270,and did nothing really different.

The 7 Rem Mag polished it off. frown That's part of cartridge history too.

I get the fun part. I love reading revisionist history. I don't care who heard of what in 1925. You had the 270 and no 280. Those are facts. wink

I think it's silly the topic even comes up....but 280 lovers refuse to let it die. "if this"...."if that"...the 270 would never exist. Hilarious.

Point is there has been some form of a 7mm (284) on a 30/06 capacity case in existence since 1917-1918 (whenever) and it has not even dented the sales, popularity and big game killing performance of the 270 Winchester,and never will.

Your exact words.

As a note the 280 lovers comment. I like the 280, I've owned and hunted wtih two of them. I have hunted and liked the 270, the 7 Rem Mag, the 06 and several others. I've come to the conclusion, however, that for my type of hunting, there is nothing that I cannot do with a 308 or 7-08 that I can do with the others. YMMV

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Not a startling statement--which is why these discussions of very similar cartridges go on longer than any others: Hunters like to nitpick, because some believe there IS an actually difference in how a few hundredths of an inch in bullet diameter, or a few grains in weight, kill big game animals. But many want to justify their choice, when they have used relatively few cartridges on relatively few big game animals.

As a magazine editor, now retired, once said: "Somebody who's only hunted with the .308 Winchester can't write a good article about the .308 Winchester, because they have no perspective."

The same could be said about a lot of scopes, bullets, etc.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Popularity has little to do with "killing performance". You really mean to be taken seriously to suggest that a bullet that is .007" difference in diameter is going to eclipse another in "killing power"?

Lighten up. This is just a forum...and it's all for fun.

If you read everything i said, instead of cherry picking,you'd know I think the 280 has nothing over the 270. This business of .007 in bullet diameter making the 280 something special is the purview of the 280 lovers....not me.

So "no" I don't believe there's a difference. Stop putting words in my mouth.

I use them both, interchangeably. There is no difference in killing effectiveness between them. That's bullet dependent.

Popularity has nothing to do with killing effectiveness; but if the 270 didn't work well as a BG cartridge, it would not have sold and been popular.It's record in that regard is obvious. The 280 in all it's various guises, fell flat, because it tried to fill a niche already occupied by the 270,and did nothing really different.

The 7 Rem Mag polished it off. frown That's part of cartridge history too.

I get the fun part. I love reading revisionist history. I don't care who heard of what in 1925. You had the 270 and no 280. Those are facts. wink

I think it's silly the topic even comes up....but 280 lovers refuse to let it die. "if this"...."if that"...the 270 would never exist. Hilarious.

Point is there has been some form of a 7mm (284) on a 30/06 capacity case in existence since 1917-1918 (whenever) and it has not even dented the sales, popularity and big game killing performance of the 270 Winchester,and never will.

Your exact words.

As a note the 280 lovers comment. I like the 280, I've owned and hunted wtih two of them. I have hunted and liked the 270, the 7 Rem Mag, the 06 and several others. I've come to the conclusion, however, that for my type of hunting, there is nothing that I cannot do with a 308 or 7-08 that I can do with the others. YMMV

Who cares? Take a hike....

If you can't understand what I was saying that's your problem, not mine.

Last edited by BobinNH; 05/30/16.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I understand exactly what you said. You started with something foolish...and then persisted...even when given an out.

Have a great Memorial Day.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
[video:youtube]BbU4Cb4A4-o[/video]

David

Page 6 of 16 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

334 members (160user, 1lesfox, 10Glocks, 222ND, 10ring1, 12344mag, 25 invisible), 1,942 guests, and 1,101 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,842
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.