Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Some of y'all have seen some of these pics. Some of the pics are brand new.

[Linked Image]
I cut down the big black walnut tree three years ago in February. It is important to get a winter cut when the sap is down, this minimizes checking and splitting.

[Linked Image]
I used the big Stihl to cut the tree into a beam. I have hundreds of black walnut trees on my property. I selected this tree because it had a nice 4 inch curve that I wanted to incorporate into the finished beam.

[Linked Image]
The big beam measured 8 inches thick, 18 inches high, and 18 feet long.

[Linked Image]
I attached the big summerbeam to the home made log cart, and carried it up the mountain to the carport to season for 2 years. Needed the big piece to dry some and lose some of that water weight. The big beam was so heavy I wasn't sure the little log cart could hold it.

Last edited by simonkenton7; 06/02/16.
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Not sure if it is vs forum rules but it takes more pics to tell this story.

[Linked Image]
Last summer moved the big beam onto the work surface of the new log cabin with the home made crane. The little crane could barely lift the big beam. Here I am sanding the summerbeam down with the 7 inch Makita disc grinder.
It was very rough with chainsaw marks on both sides. Had to sand it at first with 36 grit discs. Then sanded for 45 minutes with 50 grit discs. Then sanded for 45 minutes with 80 grit discs. Then polished it off with 100 grit.

Black walnut is difficult to work with. A black walnut tree that is growing releases toxins that will kill most vegetables that are nearby. You cannot grow potatoes, tomatoes, or blueberries near a black walnut tree.
This sanding produced 10 pounds of fine, powdery black walnut sawdust. This powder sawdust is also toxic. My helper Adam sanded for 20 minutes and had to leave the room because he was sick. I was not as sensitive to it as he was but it also made me sick. But, it had to be sanded down to achieve the look I wanted.

[Linked Image]
Adam and I chisel pockets into the beam. This is where the joists will set. Thank God, the chips from chainsawing or chiseling the black walnut are not toxic.

[Linked Image]
The summerbeam is set in place atop the capitol, which sets on top of the king post. The 6x6 joists have been installed. The subfloor has been installed. The subfloor is 12 foot construction grade 2x10s from Lowes. The lumber marks are sanded off. This makes a very strong subfloor. It will be the ceiling for the space beneath the loft. A finished floor of oak will be installed on top.

[Linked Image]
This pic was taken two days ago. The log cabin is finished.

Last edited by simonkenton7; 06/02/16.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Great post.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Very nice! I recently cut some very large cedar of similar dimension. I cut for my cousin who has made some beautiful items with it. I have some Poplar, Pine, Beech and Red Oak air drying, for sale and for future projects. Your Walnut would made a nice mantle.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Cool stuff. I remember when you cut that tree.

How did you get it on the cart?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Scott F
Great post.

Might be a pun there. 😎

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
[Linked Image]

The log cart works as a lever. You roll the cart to where it is above the timber. You grab the big logging hooks and pull down and hook the log. Then you grab the end of the hickory beam and pull down to where the beam rests upon the timber. Then, you tie the end of the hickory beam to the beam that you are pulling, and you are rolling.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
VERY interesting post!

I love working with walnut, but one needs to wear that respirator or you can eventually become very sensitive.

John

U
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
U
Some of our 'Fire members, and I'm not one of them, have some enviable skills!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Too Kool!
From another Sawdust Mechanic.

IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Very interesting. Thanks for showing what usefully educated people can accomplish. It must be wonderful to sit in a cabin built w/ your own hands.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (1234, 007FJ, 160user, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 12savage, 61 invisible), 2,535 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,684
Posts18,475,043
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.