Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Multiplication is fun.

GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
JeffhomO, how much elevation did you gain by going with those Talleys? I'm just getting into shooting, so I'm taking notes from skilled veterans. Thanks!

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by ol_mike
I googled big sticks "270" that shoots a 105Hpbt -read page after page -and still ain't got a clue.

Sam Olsen , hope that burp made you feel better !

Jeffster , those are some nice goldfish !

Tonight's a Strawberry moon & tomorrow is the same + the summer solstice , won't see it again for 70 years . It will change the way scopes perform from here on out -wonder what the new best scope will be then ???

6x45 is the new .270 wink

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok that explains it --> NOT. confused +p++ ?

Imagine a newcomer to 24hr'fire -he decides to read this thread -no way in hades would he believe what he's reading or even know what the hale is going on with this thread about a 6x scope..
He'd ponder "will a moderator dynamite this thread ? " NO WAY --!
That's the beauty of the Fire' .!P +P ++

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
6x45 = 270

5.56x45 necked up to 6mm = 6x45

I can't simplify it or condense it any more than that...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ol_mike

Jeffster , those are some nice goldfish !

Thanks.... they are Booners for sure... started out 10-12 years ago when my kids got tired of cleaning their goldfish tank so I put them in the stock tank. The fish, not the kids. Several goldfish and a couple shebunken. They bred. I have 75-100 fish in there now; it's a problem!

There was significant jip-jappery involved in getting the rifle to stay put like that.... grin.... see the wire?

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Right after that pic, the f*cking Talleys snapped, scope fell off, and scared the hell out of my fish. Aaaargh. Now my SHV smells like pond funk. I KNEW I shoulda gone SWFA.... far better to have a $300 scope that smells like Suzy Creamcheese the morning after prom night, than a $900 one........ fück me and my stubborn, stubborn ways....

The irony of you bashing on stick for talking schitt on wares he has "limited experience" with.... while you talk schitt about wares you have ZERO experience with... is hilarious.... and par for your Democrat course....

Ok, I'll bite.

What wares am I talking shït about?

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
SWFA glass (which is what this thread is actually about) and 1913s on a Kimber....

You're also talking schitt about others using the same wares you use so proficiently.... like ass-shots. Your hypocrisy and idiocy know no bounds....

I love the sound you make when you STFU...

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm not talking shít about SWFA glass. Scroll back, prove otherwise. My only opinion on it is that it would appear to have great bang for the buck.

EHG did post some specifics about tracking/RTZ errors he measured. I'm not EHG.

Stick, on the other hand, DOES talk shït about NF, and as we have seen has very minimal experience with it....... to put it kindly.

He also shot a deer in the ass with a 162 Amax, on purpose, at long range. Is what it is.

But you are missing something here. This is in good fun. Humor, man! Lighten up, Francis.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
You're the one missing something here.... namely brain cells and a sack....

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Funny you can't show me dissing SWFA, though, don't you think? Are you conceding that one, or would that take too much brain cells and/or sack?

SO GLAD I don't have to live in your grumpy-ass world. crazy

I'd actually like to try me some SWFA sometime; people I trust, say good things.... but I decided to just skip the buy cheap then "upgrade" route (as Tanner put it) and go straight to NF. So far, I'm very happy with my POS Nightfarce scopes.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
jeff0, how far have you stretched out those Nightforce? I'm looking into getting into long range, and you are a wealth of information. Thanks!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by STS45
Scope is ordered, what is the best mounting system for a Kimber Montana in 270. Needs to be tough will see lots of miles on a 4wheeler and maybe even a horse (I hate horses).

My advice... Warne bases (steel), with Maxima rings (steel).

I had Talley's crack on my 84. Mine were not fully bedded, but I'm not sure if bedding would solve the problem anyway. Others claim that it does, but I have no firsthand experience and would just skip the Talleys.

[Linked Image]

And I had Leupo DD crack...

[Linked Image]

No problems once the Warne bases and rings were installed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here's my setup. Warne bases that I had my gunsmith buddy open the cross slot on. With the APA rings, the scope height is perfect. Eye aligns perfect for me, no need for any stock pack or cheek risers.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep. If Maxima rings, or other Weaver-style rings, don't do it for you on Warne mounts, then open the slots on the mounts. You can mill/file/Dremel the rear face and keep things square on the recoil face.

Last edited by 4th_point; 06/21/16.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Originally Posted by STS45
Scope is ordered, what is the best mounting system for a Kimber Montana in 270. Needs to be tough will see lots of miles on a 4wheeler and maybe even a horse (I hate horses).

My advice... Warne bases (steel), with Maxima rings (steel).

I had Talley's crack on my 84. Mine were not fully bedded, but I'm not sure if bedding would solve the problem anyway. Others claim that it does, but I have no firsthand experience and would just skip the Talleys.

[Linked Image]

And I had Leupo DD crack...

[Linked Image]

No problems once the Warne bases and rings were installed.

Dang, torquemiester.....

You'd think someone would come along with steel LW'esque rings. Remmie had something floating around. I'd guess they were crap though. I think Echols does some, but I wouldn't wanna refinance my house for a set of rings.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
16B,

Failures like those are interesting, and make me think that there might be more at play than recoil magnitude and/or fastener torque. Others have mentioned that the receiver might be out of spec. But.. all three brands of mounts fit the receiver well, and a center-less ground rod showed no issues with co-linearity.

Makes me wonder if mode shapes would reveal anything. One of these days I'll do a modal test and instrument a rifle with transducers to collect data while firing.

Jason

Last edited by 4th_point; 06/21/16.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Speak English 4th.

grin

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by 4th_point
16B,

Failures like those are interesting, and make me think that there might be more at play than recoil magnitude and/or fastener torque. Others have mentioned that the receiver might be out of spec. But.. all three brands of mounts fit the receiver well, and a center-less ground rod showed no issues with co-linearity.

Makes me wonder if mode shapes would reveal anything. One of these days I'll do a modal test and instrument a rifle with transducers to collect data while firing.

Jason

?Do you feel that less torque (say 28"#'s) and bedding bases to the receiver is best.
With any action I have a gun smith square I provide a base and ask it to be set up with pins. I always looked at threads like a splitting wedge. I also think a tight fit pin, pinning the base to the receiver may stop the sheer from every so slight front to back movement during recoil. The pins would allow the screws to be focused on just clamping down as they are intended then my OCD beds the base to the receiver well because it's OCD and every bit helps.

Also what transducer are you using for pressure testing ect? I'm a fan of the piezo transducer but never used them out side of pressure testing with a wiseman universe receiver. I have rolled around the idea of an exterior set up to test hunting rifles but they seem less than reliable and not easily adapted to the rifles I would be interested in collecting data in.

Last edited by fredIII; 06/21/16.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by 16bore

You'd think someone would come along with steel LW'esque rings. Remmie had something floating around. I'd guess they were crap though. I think Echols does some, but I wouldn't wanna refinance my house for a set of rings.

Those Remington 700 ringmounts were not too popular. I ran across a rack full of them today, just medium height one-inchers, at $15/set and two sets marked $5 each! Skipped those even. I forget the particulars, but as I recall, there was a brand name associated with them before they became Remingtoons. This should be helpful information to those mounting SWFA 30mm scopes on their Montanas. wink

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I think they have were called Durasight. I have a set on an AR.

Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (02bfishn, 160user, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 1Longbow, 1234, 56 invisible), 2,503 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,431
Posts18,470,796
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.