Hop To
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14
A
aheider Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Mounted my first Super Sniper scope this evening on my Kimber 84L. Went from 6lbs 8oz with a VX1 to 7lbs 1oz with the SS 3-9X42 (both weights include a lightweight sling)

There is a little tunneling at 3X but disappears nicely from 4X and higher. The reticle is plenty bold enough to use for hunting and I plan to roll it this year for several hunts. I believe Formidilosus is spot on with his assessment of the glass.

Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Mechanical function is vastly more important than "glass", and those who use their stuff know this.

The 3-9x SS is absolutely on par with a VX2 optically. Have seen several dozen, have had them side by side, have measured them in direct comparison. Most can not tell the difference between the VX3's.

Now I just need to get to the range to get it dialed in. grin

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I predict dialing it in will be a revelation. smile

Where'd you get that mule deer in the sage in your avatar?

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I would guess he got that deer in Colorado.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Dre Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I'm going to say south Eastern Oregon on the muley

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
A
aheider Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Public land Colorado.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dre
I'm going to say south Eastern Oregon on the muley

That's what I was thinking too. I've seen some like that in northern Nevada where I grew up. Aheider, keep us posted on your SS scope. I am thinking about trying one as well...Looks like you gained about 1/2 pound, but may be worth it in the durability department. I also agree with formid about mechanical function and durability. I've given up on Leupold, as I've had too many fail.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
aheider Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Here is the link to that buck in my avatar, forgot is was 2012.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...lorado_mule_deer_vs_partitio#Post7072905

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Great buck aheider

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've been very happy w/ my SWFA SS 3-9x42 on my Kimber 84m. Used it to take my (1st) mule deer last year. It's a good combination.

David

A
aheider Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
David,

Anything you don't like about it? For the most part I have been a holdover guy which has worked pretty well out to 500 yds. I have used Leupold CDS for a short time but never trusted the repeatability of the turret. Basically decided that if I want to run the turret I have to accept the weight penalty.....

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How much does the SS 3-9x42 weigh? I'm going with the LRHS 3-12x42 on my Montana 243AI but that scope weighs 25 oz...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by aheider
David,

Anything you don't like about it? For the most part I have been a holdover guy which has worked pretty well out to 500 yds. I have used Leupold CDS for a short time but never trusted the repeatability of the turret. Basically decided that if I want to run the turret I have to accept the weight penalty.....

I have only the most minor of complaints - nit picks...

1) At first I wished it had more eye relief. The more I've used it, the more I realize the eye relief is more than adequate. It has a large "eyebox" and if you get fwd in the eyebox the eye relief seems minimal.

2) The large ocular prevents me from mounting the scope as far fwd as I would like. Even w/ the front Talley reversed, I would still like the scope fwd about another 1/2". Pretty minor gripe - a rail would fix and I haven't been bothered enough to do anything about it yet.

3) The magnification adjustment is rather stiff and can be difficult to move in cold weather. It has not loosened up much to this point.

The glass is good, the performance in all ways regarding tracking, repeatability, RTZ, etc are perfect. The turrets are very positive and have never moved unintentionally. I zero at 100 yds and when hunting open country crank in a 200yd zero to carry the rifle. The scope is a huge confidence builder - reliably, repeatedly hitting steel gives me a lot of confidence when I'm hunting.

David

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
How much does the SS 3-9x42 weigh? I'm going with the LRHS 3-12x42 on my Montana 243AI but that scope weighs 25 oz...

19oz

David

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have this scope on a savage 30 06. It has been spot on so far in repeatability,and return to zero. The glass is very good and th MQ reticle is really nice for hold overs in a hurry, and wind holds. I'm using mine out to 600yds with very dependable results. Rifle shoots about .8 at 100yds. The reticle on this scope is plenty thick enough to hunt with for those used to a sfp scope.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That's one heck of a buck! I've killed a couple mulies in the sage... it's addictive...

Jordan Smith has that scope on his Kimber 8400 and really talks good about it.

I have come to agree, after much screwing around: if you are gonna dial for real, use a scope built to do that. I ended up going NF SHV on my Kimber just because, I guess, I wasn't ready to take the F1 plunge. The extra weight (it's also about 20 oz) doesn't bug me at all. My first range session with it was an eye opener. I've used a Leupold, Conquest, and Swarovski AV on it and I dialed all of them. The SHV mechanically blows them all up and it was plain as day when zeroing it and shooting a quick tall target test. I suspect the SWFA will do just as good, and cheaper too.

Talley makes 30mm extension rings for Kimbers. I guess that does you no good if it's the ocular hitting the rear ring that's the problem.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
A
aheider Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Canazes9
Originally Posted by aheider
David,

I have only the most minor of complaints - nit picks...

1) At first I wished it had more eye relief. The more I've used it, the more I realize the eye relief is more than adequate. It has a large "eyebox" and if you get fwd in the eyebox the eye relief seems minimal.

2) The large ocular prevents me from mounting the scope as far fwd as I would like. Even w/ the front Talley reversed, I would still like the scope fwd about another 1/2". Pretty minor gripe - a rail would fix and I haven't been bothered enough to do anything about it yet.

3) The magnification adjustment is rather stiff and can be difficult to move in cold weather. It has not loosened up much to this point.

The glass is good, the performance in all ways regarding tracking, repeatability, RTZ, etc are perfect. The turrets are very positive and have never moved unintentionally. I zero at 100 yds and when hunting open country crank in a 200yd zero to carry the rifle. The scope is a huge confidence builder - reliably, repeatedly hitting steel gives me a lot of confidence when I'm hunting.

David

Thanks!

The magnification ring on my scope turns nicely and I'm pretty impressed with the eye box. I mounted it in a set of Talleys and on the 84L it appears to be far enough forward and only limited by the location of the magnification adjustment. So far so good. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was going to guess Northern Missouri for that Mule deer in the sage

They're thick over here ya-know

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
A
aheider Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Always willing to travel!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Canazes9
Originally Posted by Kimber7man

19oz

David

Thank you sir.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

I have come to agree, after much screwing around: if you are gonna dial for real, use a scope built to do that. I ended up going NF SHV on my Kimber just because, I guess, I wasn't ready to take the F1 plunge. The extra weight (it's also about 20 oz) doesn't bug me at all.

Thought you bought an NXS... whistle

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

672 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1eyedmule, 01Foreman400, 67 invisible), 3,326 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,378
Posts18,469,479
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.