Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Many claim the .308 Win, 300 Win Mag., 6mm BR, 6.5x47 Lapua and others are " intrinsically accurate" vs other cartridges. Fact or fiction?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had two .308's and neither one shot. .30-06's I've had a lot more of and they've been mostly accurate. The two most accurate cartridges that I've experienced in a good representation of rifles have been the .243 and .270 not counting varmint rounds.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by moosemike
I've had two .308's and neither one shot. .30-06's I've had a lot more of and they've been mostly accurate. The two most accurate cartridges that I've experienced in a good representation of rifles have been the .243 and .270 not counting varmint rounds.

Same here. I've also ran into some freakishly accurate 22-250's, 6mm remingtons, and 9.3x62mm's.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Not to forget the reputation the .222 had, back in the day....

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by cra1948
Not to forget the reputation the .222 had, back in the day....

That and the 6.5x55.. The 300 WSM is also inherently accurate.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
243 and 25-06 have both been in the category of 'intrinsically accurate' for me. Current 308 falls in there as well.
Had one 223 I wish I'd never sold.

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I may believe the "inherently accurate" cartridges argument just a little.

In the past, have also bought into the argument that AI versions produce better accuracy than their parents with hot loads.

Almost bought into the short and fat cartridge is better and more accurate argument.

Used to be concerned about the potential accuracy problems surrounding belted magnums.

Have read many times here about the inconsistenct pressure spikes that can be encountered with the 7mm RM. Don't want that smile

I have been highly concerned with the ballistic coefficient of bullets despite never taking a shot over 400y. Therefore own no .308 or .277 caliber rifles.

There obviously are many more commonly kicked around myths surrounding cartridges.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've never understood why one cartridge is intrinsically more accurate than another. A cartridge is just a pressure vessel an if all is equal (accurate bullets, accurate powder weight, quality primers, barrel quality, etc., then they should shoot equally well.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by djs
I've never understood why one cartridge is intrinsically more accurate than another. A cartridge is just a pressure vessel an if all is equal (accurate bullets, accurate powder weight, quality primers, barrel quality, etc., then they should shoot equally well.

I think some are just easier for the average reloader to get accuracy out of.

Personally, I'd ask the question a little differently, and pose it to Mule Deer (and others) who've done objective testing of different cartridges as well as other things that affect accuracy:

What characteristics of cartridges (neck length, ratio of volume to bore size, etc.) seem to make a difference in accuracy?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I believe some might be slightly more accurate, the barrel does the directing and the bullet is the final word. If I was looking for extreme accuracy I would look to the components and assembly of the rifle, quality of loaded ammo, then worry about 308 vs 30-06.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think that the 17HM2 is an intrinsically accurate cartridge. I've yet to own a bolt action 17HM2 that wasn't capable of shooting sub-MOA groups.

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter

After having shot a bunch of different superb, best quality custom rifles for articles, I believe that a good deal of fine accuracy comes from the four B's.

Finest quality Barrels, Bedding, Brass and Bullets.

Beyond that, barrel fitting, a truly square chamber and trued action undoubtedly help a lot.

As far as cartridge configuration ... I'm an agnostic; maybe, but prolly not.

Blessings,

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I think its more the driver than the cartridge.My Son does not reload and has lots of rifles.He can pick out any one he has or one of mine and shoot groups that will make Riflemen cry.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Every rifle I own is intrinsically accurate, unfortunately, the ammo not so much...:(

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'm sad now...

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by djs

So you're dismissing the possible benefits of the 30 degree shoulder all together?

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
One needs to define intrinsically accurate".

IMO opinion the cartridge that is easiest to make shoot well is the 222 Rem. It was developed by Mike Walker a Remington engineer/benchrest shooter specifically for shooting small groups. It turned out that not only was it capable of shooting small groups but it does so with a great many powder/bullet combinations.

While it may be argued the 6 PPC is an "inherently accurate" cartridge on examination this does not hold true since its best accuracy comes only within a narrow range of velocity, bullet weights and powders which IMO opinion removes it from the "inherently accurate" list.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Started shooting on a regular basis enough to become semi serious about it in the late 1960's. Had had a couple converted Milsurps by that point, and backed into a SAKO 579 243 that has spoiled me forever more.

Chased that performance level with only slightly tuned factory rifles and stumble bum reloading techniqes until I again backed into a 1979 1st production run USRAC M70 Fwt 257Rbts that would and did regulary stack factory ST 100gr'ers in dime sized groups...and Nuthin else I built or bought in ammo came close in that'un...and shot the barrel out it. Rocked along until I dug up a CZ 550 American in 9.3x62 and wa lah it was magic, especially with Finn Aagards 270gr Speer load...a former neighbor has the had the same experience in a wider variety of bullets and powder after he became the proud owner at great expense.

Have had numerous Rugers, SAKO's, Winnies, an occasional Remmy and other stuff but those guns from 40 years of paper punching & game performance in days gone by are what I use to judge the new to me shooters by these days....and nuthin so far stands out from that crowd....and of course I no longer own any of them. Oh Well

FWIW most accurate calibers have been 243, 257 Rbt's, 6.5x55, more than a few 270's in several brands and the most consistant overall, 300WMg and 9.3x62...with decent acceptable game performance from 308's, '06's, 7x57, 300Wby & 25'06 in that order.
Ron

TIME FOR TERM LIMITS !!!! Politicians are just like diapers, they need to be changed often and regularly for the same reason...Robin Williams.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My most accurate centerfire rifles have been a Walther barreled Model 70 in 9.3x62 and 2 375 H&Hs (Model 70 and old Mauser action Sako. Most accurate overall is a Cooper 17 HM2.

Who is John Galt?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (10Glocks, 35, 308ld, 808outdoors, AdventureBound, Bclark, 6 invisible), 1,139 guests, and 778 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,687
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.