Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I see lots of wood/blue in those photos.....Nice.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I've never been a 1 trick pony, regardless of what many may think.

Besides, a Ruger 77 was my only rifle for many a years. Barrel rusted out towards the muzzle and stock cracked in 2 places.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Gotta love it.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
twenty five yard "finisher" 416 Rigby. (Initial shot at 40 yards by my friend off sticks)

[img]http://lavikinga.com/jorge/Zimbabwe/CD1A.cfm[/img]

~ seventy yards whilst on a l-r "trot" and in low light (scope cut the ol' schnazz)

[img]http://lavikinga.com/jorge/Zimbabwe/CD2.cfm[/img]

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Not counting Namibia where all my game shots were offhand facilitated by shooting sticks, in my case a 5' tall tripod, this is the only true offhand game shot I can remember, taken without other support. I invariably hunt the plains, or open mountain areas where game is usually not close so there is no need for a true offhand shot. A rest, any rest, or a bipod can be used without risking a bad outcome.

This was an Idaho bull in the predawn grey at about a hundred and fifty yards and as I was up to my armpits in ferns and the bull was almost broadside and at ease I went for it.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe

I was always under the impression that offhand meant you weren't resting the rifle on anything....

Me too, and I love to use old iron...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by shrapnel; 06/07/16.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by ingwe
Im kinda liking all these photos with captions" rested on a tree" or "sitting...20 yards..." etc.
I was always under the impression that offhand meant you weren't resting the rifle on anything....

Does this count? grin

There was the time when the first shot on a hard quartering at around 30 or so went too far left. Offhand it was. The Doe took off running, (correction) her front right dangling, and picked my point on the compass to run to. She recognized me at-well it was getting close-and made a leap which I'm not sure would have cleared my head. Second shot was from the hip and she crashed at my feet. Never did practice for that one. smile

Last edited by battue; 06/07/16.

laissez les bons temps rouler
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Another thing to consider is game rarely stands perfectly still and waits while you get down in position or scramble for a rest, or is moving past/away from you to begin with. I'll take a step and lean into a tree or something to steady my aim, if circumstances allow, but more often than not- here in the Eastern woodlands- it's an offhand shot right now or not at all.

I have a lot more respect for a rifleman who can hit a paper plate every time offhand at 100-200 yards than the guy who can produce ½" groups off the bench but can't hit the berm when shooting off his hind legs.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by battue

Does this count? grin

There was the time when the first shot on a hard quartering at around 30 or so went too far left. Offhand it was. The Doe took off running, front left dangling, and picked my point on the compass to run to. She recognized me at-well it was getting close-and made a leap which I'm not sure would have cleared my head. Second shot was from the hip and she crashed at my feet. Never did practice for that one. smile

I bet you did. Who, as a kid, never practiced emulating Chuck Connors, "The Rifleman"? grin

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
RE moving animals, I will not fire at them. Just my choice, but it sure seems like a few folks out there are good at it. And thats great!

My theory though, is for the way and places we hunt, it rarely takes moer than a few seconds to grab some kind of rest, and I'll do that every time. Even if it costs me the game.

Just a different way, but if you practice for getting a rest as another poster noted, then its second nature and quick.

Of course I rarely shoot an animal unless bow or my old war musket, thats close. Generally all my shots are around 175 and further out, its mostly due to where and how I choose to hunt. Pretty common to take at least a couple of shots at 300-350 on a particular trail. While I'm pretty sure I could do that offhand on a good day on our deer, Its much more reliable to get a rest. And since I won't shoot unless I"m 200% sure, its about the only way I do it these days.

Alaska fall hunting is a bit different at times and I"ve made a few quick moose shots around 125-150 off hand with zero other rests around. But they are not small and standing still...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I didn't mean to imply that my shots were offhand. My point was that even though I practice it, I rarely use it. Sitting here thinking about it the only truly offhand shot that comes to mind was a small muley buck at about 75yds while I was still hunting a river bottom. 100gr interlock from my Ruger 77 250 savage. Deer was facing me pretty close to straight on. Bullet entered just below the chin a few inches and followed the spine on back a bit.
Ruined about 4 inches of backstrap.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Scott

I failed to notice your pics earlier. Besides nice shooting and irons as always, I really enjoy the mix of stuff you use. I figured I was kinda weird for using anything from a home made recurve to a crossbow to a civil war musket all the way to a Mc stocked custom rifle.

Those blacktails sure always make me want to go back. Hopefully in less than 5 years that will happen, and I can figure a way to hunt them every fall. If nothing else hopefully can drive to Valdez and make somethign work out of there!

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you do all your pre-season shooting from a bench rest, be sure to take a bench rest with you when you go hunting.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I don't consider shooting from a bench to be practice for hunting. I shoot a scoped air gun in my basement regularly and practice offhand, kneeling and sitting at the range, mostly with a .22.

I rarely shoot offhand when hunting though, except in the thick stuff, and when I'm in open country I usually carry shooting sticks.

Last edited by bowmanh; 06/08/16.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
shrapnel

I was thinking the same thing of the gopher shooting about a 1/2 hr ago. Shot 15, most unsupported. One on the run. I am getting better since I have lots of practice lately.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
I spend most of my range time shooting the 2 and 300-yard gongs off hand. Once I get the rifle zeroed I'm either shooting from seated on the ground or standing off hand. I was at my best when I was shooting groundhogs two days a week back in Maryland.

Edit for side note: I was banging away at the 200yd gong with my scoped 223 and there was an ancient gentleman down at the end of the range matching me shot for shot with a '03A3 with iron sights. It was humbling.

That is the truth too! I was at our local range and an old timer was hitting a 5-inch plate at 220 yards shooting off hand with Winchester M70. 3 out of 3 was the norm. My barrel is waving all over the place with off hand range shooting.

What is the secret to better off-hand shooting?

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Adk_BackCountry

How do you get to Carnegie Hall?

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by RickF
Originally Posted by Adk_BackCountry

How do you get to Carnegie Hall?

laugh

Actually I found to start squeezing the trigger as soon as its on target. Sure its gonna wobble around while you're doing it, but eventually, with practice, the wobble gets smaller.

Holding your breath and or position waiting for it all to get better NEVER works.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
1) Knowing how to mount a rifle. Lots of guys FIND game/target in the scope, WRONG way to do things.

2) As Ingwe said, quick is best. You can't be standing there for 10 seconds (see #1). You don't have to be quick draw, bring rifle up, find the spot (you should be close if you know how to mount a rifle) and shoot.

3) A good trigger HELPS much

4) I prefer a rifle with a little weight out front, or at least neutrally balanced. A butt heavy gun sucks for offhand.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
And yea, practice. It's an odd day when I don't sling a magazine of ammo through an open sighted 22 off the back deck or a pellet gun.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

105 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 2ndwind, 10Glocks, 18 invisible), 1,625 guests, and 977 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,242
Posts18,485,916
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.