Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
So, having only dabbled in knife 'collecting' from a while back, and mostly from a military perspective, I'm short of knowledge on latest/greatest makers/designs. However, what I WANT: 4.5-6", drop-point (or?), heavy hunter/tactical/survivor, that's going to fill my needs for practical use AND staying alive, whether I'm hunting/cleaning/skinning, farting around in a jungle somewhere, or on a mountainside somewhere else, or going through more SERE, or sticking in something living, as a last resort. Needs to be non-flashy, but not necessarily 'tacti-cool'. Not looking at some $400-800, cool kid edition, but willing to pay for good to get good. Want to likely have a custom leather or kydex made to carry a few other essentials like my preferred fire starter and magnesium, some hooks/braided line, etc. Any heavy chopping/sawing, and I'll have tools to resort to for that (usually), but I guess it needs to fill in a pinch? Becker BK2 seems along those lines, but I have no idea of quality of that or anything else these days.

What I need is help shopping that: 5Ws.

....if you would?

Thanks

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 06/09/16.
GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Charlie May's OSK1 design was made for that purpose, but it's not quite as big as you're listing. If you want something BIG his Tallahalla might work.

My preference is his Skifa design.

I'd like to try one of his Bladie Mae's except with an OSK1 handle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gene Ingram's #6 Drop Point.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
The Charles May looks like it might fit the bill. The Gene Ingram #6, maybe not. The OSK looks nicely done and in the right quantities.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
All of the knives and makers mentioned above are some of the best. You may also want to look at a Dozier Wilderness in D2 or a Blind Horse Knives PLSK1 in o2 steel with the sabre grind. These are both bigger knives.... I also like the BHK Woodsman Pro but it is somewhat smaller blade. My $.002....

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by antlers
Gene Ingram's #6 Drop Point.

For a all around strictly hunting knife, Gene's #6 Drop Point is my absolute favorite of all the knifes I own. It resides permanently in my back pack.

While I'm out hunting or working at the Ranch, my so called "survival" knife rides on my hip. Usually one of my many Cold Steel Bowie models is hard to beat for the money, IMO.

Two knifes are always better than one! cool

Last edited by chlinstructor; 06/09/16.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
I could pick bigger, true survival or tactical blades, or smaller true hunting blades, but the 4.5-6" is a pretty firm criteria on blade length....otherwise it won't work within certain parameters I deal with. I'll keep checking every lead y'all can give me. There's usually a folder, a multi tool, and even hatchet and caping knife and hand chain and folding saws in my pack....this would be something to stay on me, that could cover in a pinch and be a primary fixed knif/tool.

BTW, the wait on doziers?

Anything on A.G. Russell? Used to be well regarded, and the sandbox hunter looks promising, but 'unavailable'?

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 06/09/16.
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Check out the thread on "Bushcraft Knives" a few topics down (right now anyway).

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The BK2 is a sharpened pry bar. It's tough but so heavy and thick it's usless to me, it's more of a short chopper. I don't like it, except the Beckers have great handle ergonomics. Bark river Gunny might suit you, or the Gunny Hunter, it doesn't have the ramp.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by robertacabin
All of the knives and makers mentioned above are some of the best. You may also want to look at a Dozier Wilderness in D2

Great selection - fits OP requirements nicely.

[Linked Image]

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Look into Fallkniven S1 or A1.

Either with likely be right up your alley. Hard to go wrong with one of these as they are designed to do exactly what you are looking for.

Semper Fi

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Or get rough and real...

http://www.plowshareforge.com/

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
You need to provide Dale Atkerson an example of the blade shape and length and ask him to make you one out of D2. Dale will make you a working knife that is RIGHT and will stay right.

I've done this with 2 knives that Dale made for me, and they're exactly what I wanted and made exceptionally well. They are very hard working knives for me and they exceed all expectations.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
My one knife for all places, any season, all purposes and maybe poke a fella is a Treeman Tactical Hunter. Handy enough to carve a whistle and tough enough to chop through 8" of lake ice.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lvmiker
My one knife for all places, any season, all purposes and maybe poke a fella is a Treeman Tactical Hunter. Handy enough to carve a whistle and tough enough to chop through 8" of lake ice.

mike r

Pix or it didn't happen.... grin

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I must learn to post pics. I enjoy the pics I see on this site so I should contribute. I recently retired so I am running out of excuses.

mike r

Wish you were better

Craig Douglas ECQC
A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
That's mine on the right, thanks add. I received it as a gift from my co-workers and it is a brute but I have come to like it a lot.

mike r

Last edited by lvmiker; 06/16/16.

Wish you were better

Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I'd tell the OP to start his quest, by disabusing himself that there is a 'one knife fills all needs' blade out there.
Buy what works best for hunting, and processing dead animals, and then buy something for that 'tactical operator' inside you, that is struggling to get out. smile
Compromise knives never really satisfy anyone.

Sam......

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

If you don't mind hunting for one, I'd suggest trying to find one of Nathan Carothers' Field knives. Some will come up for sale on bladeforum from time to time.

Like all good makers, I sent one back to Nathan and he did an overhaul on it for free and sent it back on his own nickel.

long before Rodriguez stole that goat.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 1lessdog, 58 invisible), 2,476 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,470
Posts18,471,431
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.