Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
TF49 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
So, I have this shack on the Front Range and have had a bear pay a trio of visits. Pushed a door in and got some leftover peanuts and did the best he could with a bottle of Wesson oil. Next time he raided the outdoor mousetraps and kinda upset my outdoor kitchen set up. Once he feasted on blue timber marking paint and made a mess.

Folks are up there at least every week and have not seen him and he comes by when no one is there. I don't want to have to board up the place and then come back a few days later and undo everything.

What can I do to discourage him from visiting the camp?

Thinking about a trip wire and oc spray but that is pricey.

Other ideas?

Thanks,

TF

A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Clean up the area.

Stop any reward...

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Plywood laid on the ground or deck with nails sticking up. Put it in front of doors and windows.

LOL
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
.375 H&H whistle

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Somebody said something about a can of bear spray wrapped with bacon. I'm don't know nothing, but sounded like a good idea when I read it. I'm pretty sure it was in Elf's recent bear thread.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Shutters over windows, including door if it has window. Bears less likely to go in if they can't see thru window or see a reflection. Hinged or just plywood cut to fit and set over windows with some kind of latch.

Boards with nails seem like a good idea until you or a guest forget they are out there. We used to use them, shutters work better.

Also tried electric fence charger with battery and wire strung on insulators around camp, across windows and doors. Works right up until battery goes dead. Shutters work better!

(Notice a theme here?)

Baited aerosol cans of whatever just leave a bigger mess when bears go ape$h!t, and only train one bear. (done that too, shutters work better!)

As for your outdoor kitchen, if you want to keep it best fix involves leg hold traps and slugs.

But, if you already have a bear trained/acclimated to finding tasty stuff at your camp, nothing may really work until you get rid of that bear. And if its a sow it could train next year's cubs too!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sounds like a lifelong supply of pot roasts.

LOL
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by TF49

Thanks,

TF

Stop feeding it.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
you just have to learn to live with them.remember you moved to there area.they are just pretty little bears til they tear up your chit.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by MikeL2
Shutters over windows, including door if it has window. Bears less likely to go in if they can't see thru window or see a reflection. Hinged or just plywood cut to fit and set over windows with some kind of latch.

Boards with nails seem like a good idea until you or a guest forget they are out there. We used to use them, shutters work better.

Also tried electric fence charger with battery and wire strung on insulators around camp, across windows and doors. Works right up until battery goes dead. Shutters work better!

(Notice a theme here?)

Baited aerosol cans of whatever just leave a bigger mess when bears go ape$h!t, and only train one bear. (done that too, shutters work better!)

As for your outdoor kitchen, if you want to keep it best fix involves leg hold traps and slugs.

But, if you already have a bear trained/acclimated to finding tasty stuff at your camp, nothing may really work until you get rid of that bear. And if its a sow it could train next year's cubs too!

Mike: Is that a Dissertation on the Welfare SYstem in our country? You are a smart man.

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by MikeL2

(Notice a theme here?)

Exactamundo. grin

Back in the early 70's I spent a lot of time in the far back-country of the Alberta Rockies. The NPS had ranger cabins set up in these remote areas, and they were fully stocked with canned goods, etc. They weren't locked up, but they were stoutly closed up with heavy plywood shutters. Some had doors with nails pounded through them (pointy end out), but most just had a stout plywood door that was hinged to open outward instead of inward.

Bears get into cabins by pushing. A stout shutter will resist the push, and the bears will give up and move on.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
A solar charger is what you need. It will keep the battery going indefinitely. They're not cheap but they're a lot cheaper than repairing torn up doors, etc.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Plywood laid on the ground or deck with nails sticking up. Put it in front of doors and windows.

This

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

T
TF49 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Ok guys, thanks. Will start with the shutters and nails.

May get the trip wire with oc canister later.

I was up there alone once and one night he gave me an irritated "woof" from behind some willows. Persistent sonuvagun.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Ok guys, thanks. Will start with the shutters and nails.

May get the trip wire with oc canister later.

I was up there alone once and one night he gave me an irritated "woof" from behind some willows. Persistent sonuvagun.

Sounds like your warning, kill it.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by ironbender

Thanks,

TF

Stop feeding it.

rule #1

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
A grizzly will make your black bear problem go away...

T
TF49 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Yes, that thought crossed my mind.

A bear, maybe this one but maybe not, got into a neighbors chicken house and also took two pigs from a place a couple miles away.

Last edited by TF49; 06/17/16.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Yes, that thought crossed my mind.

A bear, maybe this one but maybe not, got into a neighbors chicken house and also took two pigs from a place a couple miles away.

If the bear has learned easy pickings at farms and camps it has to go - relocation or killed. I'd be keeping a loaded 12 gauge handy if staying at your camp.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A load of #4 steel shot to the a$$ from about 30 yrds or more with an open choke and preferably a short barrel.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

230 members (2ndwind, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 17Fan, 32 invisible), 2,319 guests, and 1,094 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,078
Posts18,501,585
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.