Print Thread
Hop To
C
CFVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Has anyone here used any of the invisible dog fences that don't use buried wires? Looks like there are two types that I can find, one that uses a circular pattern with a variable radius and another where you can program a zone for your dog to stay in - can be any shape you want. Mainly interested in the latter but would like to hear opinions of any of them.

What brand would you recommend? Stay away from?

Reliability?

Thanks.

Last edited by CFVA; 06/16/16.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy...
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I have one that encircles about an acre and a half of yard for my dogs. I buried it where I mow otherwise it's above ground at the edge of the woods. It works fantastic.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I'm not sure of the brand but I bought it at lowes and it was around $200 plus I needed to buy another 500' of wire. It's very reliable but only as reliable as your connections. Minimize the number of connections if possible.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

We started our pup on this one today: Fence

It does 1/2 acre and the collar had 5 shock settings, I think. We set ours on level 2 and our 9 week old pup learned her boundaries in about 30 minutes.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

We started our pup on this one today: Fence

It does 1/2 acre and the collar had 5 shock settings, I think. We set ours on level 2 and our 9 week old pup learned her boundaries in about 30 minutes.

I have that one too. My main complaint is that if I take the collar off the dog, I can't figure out how to turn it off without removing the battery.

A secondary issue is the batteries for the collar are proprietary.

Carpe' Scrotum
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I had one put in 15 years ago made by Petsafe. No problem other than a broken wire at the driveway crossing. Inlaws had a wireless unit like you referred to. It wasn't very good, the boundary would fluctuate and the dog would get zapped for no apparent reason which made him very hesitant to move around the yard (don't blame him!).

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No experience with dogs, but I was involved with some fenceless cattle handling once (same technology) using radio gear as opposed to wire perimeters. Goal was to avoid excessive use near streams. The functional radius was rather unstable varying substantially with weather conditions. Warm and dry and cattle avoided the proper zones. Humid/wet weather, however, would find them crowded up against the back fence trying to escape the seemingly amplified signal.

I'm aware of other systems capable of handling very complex perimeters programed into GPS systems. Coupled with some other software, one can effectively schedule livestock moves to desired portions of extensive pastures. When the move date/time arrives, they're repeatedly tickled until movements begin toward the desired area or azimuth. Obviously it stops when they near the selected locale. They work very well with cattle quickly developing the proper responses, but to date cost, battery life, and durability issues have made them impractical. Thus, they've not been marketed. When a 1,000 lb cow leans on something or scratches it on a post, it has to be pretty stout to keep working.

Last edited by 1minute; 06/16/16.

1Minute
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Worked great for my chessie and gsd.

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had the same system that Steve and Bearcat are recommending. We've used it for two labs over a 12 year period. It's been outstanding and we trust it completely. Once our dogs figured out what their range was, we could have turned it off. As long as they had their collars on, they wouldn't go near the edge of their range. It's far better than any fence and nothing to bury.

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by CFVA
Has anyone here used any of the invisible dog fences that don't use buried wires? Looks like there are two types that I can find, one that uses a circular pattern with a variable radius and another where you can program a zone for your dog to stay in - can be any shape you want. Mainly interested in the latter but would like to hear opinions of any of them.

What brand would you recommend? Stay away from?

Reliability?

Thanks.

Some missed this. wink

Tagged as we're looking the same way for a new pup.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
the invisible fence might keep your dog in, but it does nothing for other dogs just waltzing across, and attacking your dog.

Sam......

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have one that I would take with me and power off an inverter in the truck. It worked, but I stopped using it. I didn't think moving the perimeter all the time was good for the dog. If you used it in a fixed location, it would work. I wouldn't waste my time. Just bury a fence and be done with it. It installed easy with an edger. If you want the wireless one PM me and I'll ship you mine cheap!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
C
CFVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks to everyone for the responses, I appreciate them.

I've helped some friends install the wired type and wouldn't have a problem doing it again, they're just not very practical in this particular instance. One of the local rental places has a unit with a cable spool on the front and a trenching blade on the back which cuts the trench and buries the cable in one pass, works really well but doesn't like muddy conditions.

Thanks again.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by kingston
I have one that I would take with me and power off an inverter in the truck. It worked, but I stopped using it. I didn't think moving the perimeter all the time was good for the dog. If you used it in a fixed location, it would work. I wouldn't waste my time. Just bury a fence and be done with it. It installed easy with an edger. If you want the wireless one PM me and I'll ship you mine cheap!

I need to install one (wired) to surround my 2.45-acre property (I don't want to restrict the dogs from any part of my property, but I don't want them wandering off it), and I've been dreading it. I never freakin' thought of using an edger! Duh!

Thanks for the idea!

Part of my perimeter is in woods. Based on some posts here, I'm wondering it I'm ok to just use those metal "staple" things used for holding down weed barrier and just run it on the surface and hold it down with those things?

Burying it in the woods will suck....

C
CFVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Rent one of these, you'll be glad you did!

Cable Trencher

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Just checked the rental place where I get equipment I don't want to own but need to use....not an option there. There's another place within reasonable driving distance I can check, though.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by tddeangelo
Originally Posted by kingston

I need to install one (wired) to surround my 2.45-acre property (I don't want to restrict the dogs from any part of my property, but I don't want them wandering off it), and I've been dreading it. I never freakin' thought of using an edger! Duh!

Thanks for the idea!

Part of my perimeter is in woods. Based on some posts here, I'm wondering it I'm ok to just use those metal "staple" things used for holding down weed barrier and just run it on the surface and hold it down with those things?

Burying it in the woods will suck....

I did the same thing on the wooded sides of my property, i.e. burying the wire with a thin layer of forest debris minus the sod staples. My main concern preventing another animal, e.g. deer, coyote, neighbor kid, etc. from tripping on it. I wasn't to fussy and more forest debris quickly accumulates. I also had several areas where I just left the cable on the ground for several years. It had been buried, but I kept severing it when digging and grading and would have to go find the break. FYI: this is best accomplished with a tone generator. The wire doesn't need to buried very deep. As others have said you can rent an E-Z Trencher. I have a Stihl YardBoss with the modular tiller and edger heads. It works well in the yard. My driveways are compacted 3/4 minus crusher run. I used a single fork on the pallet fork carriage attachment for my wheel loader to drag a 6" deep trench crossing these areas. Everywhere else, 3-4" is plenty. Way back when, I took the advice of a professional installer and used heavier 14AWG single strand sprinkler wire from the local supply house. You can now buy it as dog fence wire on Amazon.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Best dog accessory I ever purchased. My 7 year old lab can sniff around the yard all day without any worries of him wondering off.

J
J
I had a large area fenced, lightning would fry the unit on the wall, I started unplugging the leads from the loop during storms. I used the single strand wire, and in the woods laid it on the ground.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The sell a lightning protection circuit. I have one installed.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000P7NX9S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_QZkzxbRYXRS4M

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (anothergun, 10gaugemag, BallisticBRYAN, 15 invisible), 1,527 guests, and 716 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,641
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.