Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
"Archeryking" Bob Weggel in Wisconsin here. This morning I picked up a nice 1st model S & W K-22 Outdoorsman. It has aftermarket grips, but looks like it was cared for with not too much use. I took it to the range and performed well with a nice trigger pull (they all have) and it shot tight groups. I was picking up the .22 hulls after extracting them and the 22 empties look a bit bulged most of the length but not right near the rim.
Cylinder borings look clean and smooth with the very lightest step where the shell case would end. The empty .22 case will not insert into the FRONT of the cylinder. It is now too fat. This tells me the cartridge borings in the cylinder are TAPERED !!!! Is this correct on this old revolver from the 1930's????

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
It could be that someone put a .22 Mag cylinder on it. Or reamed the .22lr cylinder for .22 Mag.

Just guessing based on the info.

That may bulge, or even split cases from bulging.

Might see if a .22 mag will go in the chamber. If it does, you have your answer. It could be just a slightly oversized chambering of the cylinder. I've not seen that in S&W K22 models I have had though.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Thanks for the S & W cylinder problem info. The gun shop owner had the gun labeled as another model and marked .22 mag. The cylinder is very long. Barrel is marked .22 L.R.. Thanks again, Bob

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I bought, new, a M48 S&W in the waybackwhens. It had a .22LR barrel and cylinder installed on it. The box was marked M18, though.

Factory mismatches aren't common, but they aren't exactly rare, either. A buddy of mine has a M57 in .44 Magnum, for example, that came out of the box, new, that way.

It might be, that you've stumbled into one, like I did, and like Terry did. Stuff happens at the Smith plant.

Far as that goes, another buddy of mine bought a Combat Commander, satin-nickeled, that had a .38Super/9mm breechface, but a .45 ACP barrel, and the slide was marked .45 ACP, too.

Colt and Smith have made a LOT of guns over the years, some of them are bound to be assembled improperly.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
It turns out that the cylinder in the outdoorsman is 22 magnum (WRM ?) I do not know when the WRM was introduced. There was another magnum cartridge (similar but older) with a different name. I will look up birth date of cartridge. Cylinder looks great. If reamed, a good job. If the magnum cartridge was available in about 1933 maybe I stumbled onto something. Bob
P.S. The older cartridge I was thinking of is the WRF. It is slightly less potent than the WRM and will chamber in the WRM but may not be recommended to shoot. If a WRM will not chamber then I have a WRF where ammo is at best a gunshow item. The Outdoorsman is a only then but I have been told the later k-22 cylinders may be the same fit.

Last edited by archeryking; 06/20/16.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by archeryking
It turns out that the cylinder in the outdoorsman is 22 magnum (WRM ?) I do not know when the WRM was introduced. There was another magnum cartridge (similar but older) with a different name. I will look up birth date of cartridge. Cylinder looks great. If reamed, a good job. If the magnum cartridge was available in about 1933 maybe I stumbled onto something. Bob
P.S. The older cartridge I was thinking of is the WRF. It is slightly less potent than the WRM and will chamber in the WRM but may not be recommended to shoot. If a WRM will not chamber then I have a WRF where ammo is at best a gunshow item. The Outdoorsman is a only then but I have been told the later k-22 cylinders may be the same fit.

The Winchester WRF preceded the WRM.

The WRM is the 22 magnum as we know it today.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Left to Right

.22lr, .22 WRF, .22 WMR

[Linked Image]

Each will chamber in the longer, but not vice versa.

Not a good idea though. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
And WRF can be found frequently online and in non-big box gun shops. I would stock up for that revolver if it were mine. Very accurate combo you have.

Go with the Aguila or Winchester as is a Lead bullet and works better in the tighter bores of the older revolvers.

http://www.targetsportsusa.com/22-wrf-ammo-c-204.aspx

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
my first experience with that .22wrf was in a 1900's semiauto winchester which i thought was a .22lr. until i fired a round. After unsticking it i discovered what .22wrf was. Took me a while but finally found a brick of it. They had multiple versions of .22 in that period including black powder.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by T LEE
And WRF can be found frequently online and in non-big box gun shops. I would stock up for that revolver if it were mine. Very accurate combo you have.

Go with the Aguila or Winchester as is a Lead bullet and works better in the tighter bores of the older revolvers.

http://www.targetsportsusa.com/22-wrf-ammo-c-204.aspx

notice it's all out of stock

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It will be back, my local GS keeps a brick of the CCI in stock all the time. It did not shoot as well in my single shot as the lead did but it worked.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Old cat turd!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1badf350, 01Foreman400, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 57 invisible), 18,513 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,963
Posts18,539,741
Members74,052
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.