Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My UPS guy now parks at the end of my 50 yard driveway and walks in because he got gigged for backing his truck up at more than 3MPH.

Fortunately, my workgroup always got the castoff vehicles from other departments so we weren't being tracked from place to place or our driving habits monitored. No keystroke counters on our computers either.

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I had a talk last night with my son who's a supervisor for a large auto insurance co. He was telling me about the woes of getting people to fill all of their positions. An entry level job in claims adjustment pays $50k plus good bennies and usually a year end bonus of up to $4k. He said that very few people will stick it out for even a year, not even long enough to learn the job and get the 1st raise. Young people in their 20's will start but after 8 or 10 months decide they really don't want to work and quit. They have an HR person who does nothing every day but interview new prospects.
Is it any wonder that the person who talks to you on the phone has an unintelligible accent?

Claims Adjuster or Claims Rep? Big difference. Modern day Claims Reps work in a call center environment. If that wasnt enough to dissuade longevity, your every minute is accounted for.
Did it ever occur to you that they just didnt like what they were doing once they got there? Trust me, it is very difficult job. Xref Steelheads post.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Yes, everyone should work jobs that they hate on schedules that make them miserable.

That's what my Dad did. He didn't complain either.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Yes, everyone should work jobs that they hate on schedules that make them miserable.

It's obviously the best choice in how to live life. I don't know why anybody would choose to live otherwise.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Life is just too easy, for too many people

It's called "work" for a reason, Mr. Bluedreaux. If it was fun, they wouldn't call it "work" , they would call it "fun" and they wouldn't have to pay you for it, you wouldn't be kicking the door at 5:00PM sharp, they wouldn't have to allow you two weeks vacation every year and offer you all sorts of bennies. "Work" is what you do for a certain amount of hours in your day so you can go have "fun" the rest of the time.

[Linked Image]
IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by jnyork

It's called "work" for a reason, Mr. Bluedreaux. If it was fun, they wouldn't call it "work" , they would call it "fun" and they wouldn't have to pay you for it, you wouldn't be kicking the door at 5:00PM sharp, they wouldn't have to allow you two weeks vacation every year and offer you all sorts of bennies. "Work" is what you do for a certain amount of hours in your day so you can go have "fun" the rest of the time.

Yes, if it's the only choice between feeding your family or collecting welfare.

I've never had a job I didn't enjoy and if I did I would have moved on to something else.

The say marriage is hard work too, but that doesn't mean you should hate waking up every morning.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Over my years of working I learned that regardless the type of work and how good the pay and benefits are, when any employer has a history of high employee turn-over, more often than not, there are more negatives to working for that employer than meet the eye.

The Hispanics brought in to work at meat/poultry processing plants doing, "jobs that Americans refuse to do", apparently think those jobs suck pretty bad too, because many are quiting as soon as they can find other jobs of any kind. Hence the importing of workers from Somalia and Burma now.

I know a few current as well as several former employees of the Toyota assembly plant in Princeton, In. They've told me that even with a lengthy and rigorous testing/pre-screening hiring process, and above average pay and benefits for this area, Toyota still has a high employee turn-over. Now blue collar new hires must first work through a contract temp service for an extended period before eventually having a chance to become full permanent Toyota employees.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

in a day and age, where jobs are not like ripe fruit, waiting to be picked, there are instances where to earn a good salary, or even have a job, you may have to sacrifice, and perform work you might not have chosen as a first choice.
Since you are in a growth industry, ie, law enforcement, I guess you love your work.

Last edited by Mannlicher; 06/20/16.

Sam......

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by exbiologist
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Not for nothing, but you'd have to pay me 4x that amount to deal with people on the phone all day.

Of course if my family was starving and I was out of work, I'd do anything.

But that's the problem, your family doesn't starve when you're out of work

I don't see it as a problem

You're missing the point. A welfare mother with a few kids collects more than 50K a year in benefits when you add them all up. From their point of view why should they work, it's for suckers.

Starvation is a powerful motivator, but if you don't want to work in America today you don't have to. You just have to hit all the wickets to get your government check and you're set. Our own welfare system is competing with private enterprise for workers, why should you work a crap job to feed your family when you can make more money from welfare?

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I didn't see welfare mother in there anywhere. He clearly stated that my family doesn't starve when I'm out of work, and he's right, they don't.

I do understand about the other, but that's not how it was presented.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

Then how did you know?

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by joken2

The Hispanics brought in to work at meat/poultry processing plants doing, "jobs that Americans refuse to do", apparently think those jobs suck pretty bad too, because many are quiting as soon as they can find other jobs of any kind. Hence the importing of workers from Somalia and Burma now.

And people wonder why nearly every pre-modern society included either slavery or a caste system. My theory is that it was, to some extent, the only way to make the societies function.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

It's obviously the best choice in how to live life. I don't know why anybody would choose to live otherwise.
Yes, sometimes it is the best choice. Because the other choices are charity in one form or another. In the past Americans disdained the charity of others unless it was the ONLY choice.

My Dad belonged to the Oil, Chemical and Atomic Workers Union and they went on strike a couple of times when I was a kid, against Dad's wishes and vote. I remember all of us going and painting houses so we wouldn't get behind on Bills and such. I worked all through my childhood.

You don't always get the choices you want, even in America. Sometimes there is no "good" option. I will not dishonor the memory of my Father or the other millions of men like him, who slaved away every day in less-than-optimal circumstances, in order to put food on the table and gas in the station wagon.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I quit quite a few crappy jobs. They were all crappy until I got hired by L.A.County F.D.
I blew up foley catheter bags and dunk tested them. Cleaned a donut shop twice a day. Janitered a little. Managed a small tire store which meant I did sales and busted tires.
I never left a job though unless I had a better offer and I took those crappy jobs because laying around wasn't in my upbringing.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I will not dishonor the memory of my Father or the other millions of men like him, who slaved away every day in less-than-optimal circumstances, in order to put food on the table and gas in the station wagon.

Who's dishonoring anyone?

The thread is about people choosing jobs. If you only have one choice, then that's the one you take. If you have a choice, then any sane person will choose a profession that they enjoy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jnyork

I'm sorry that's been your experience with the jobs you've had.

I worked at a used car lot for a few months in high school and hated it, so I quit. I removed asbestos for a while and thoroughly disliked the work, but enjoyed the people I worked with and knew that it was opening up doors for better work.

Other than that I've framed houses, roofed houses, built scaffolding, installed industrial insulation, done sheet metal work, mowed yards and a handful of other things. Of course there were bad days in all of those and days of hard work, but I thoroughly enjoyed all every one of those jobs. In fact, I really do miss them and if I were independently wealthy I'd still wake up every day and and do one or the other.

Lots of things that are "work" are also enjoyable. I'll be back at work tomorrow after a week off and I'm looking forward to it. If I quit tomorrow I'd miss it (and end up paying money to do the same thing I do now for recreation).

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I haven't worked in years but when I did, I really enjoyed it.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
What exactly is this "work" so many of you speak about?

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by jimy
What exactly is this "work" so many of you speak about?

Hahaha. Exactly.

What a buncha losers.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Joseywales
I have family in insurance. One handles complex claims and enjoys it. The 20 something is in sales and doesn't enjoy that so much. The company really likes her and asked her to stay on full time after she graduated college. She was then promoted from CSR to sales. I don't think she likes sales. Decent pay, great benefits and she won't leave until she finds something else. My guess is she'll keep looking in house.

My son is finishing a degree I fear he'll never use. He works for a hardscaping company and enjoys it. He knows he can't do that forever, but I don't see him behind a desk. Should be interesting.

BTW, I've worked shiftwork and it's the worst. Especially the 3-11 shift. Ours was a 3 week rotating shift, so graveyards, then days, then nights/weekends. You can't raise a family that way. Heck, you can't start one that way either!

Working a rotating shift is pure hell. I would much rather work straight nights for years (and I have) than to work a rotating shift for even one month.

Those are things companies could to do improve the working conditions without spending a dime.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

368 members (1badf350, 1Longbow, 1lesfox, 160user, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 34 invisible), 2,176 guests, and 1,077 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,452
Posts18,528,948
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.