Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Rock chuck Maine and northern New England whitetail numbers are actually low density,and not numerous compared to states like much of New York, PA etc.

But the state has a lot of unoccupied wilderness type country, big woods, rough winters, mountains etc. Even though densities are low the bucks will move a lot in big country during the day;mostly there is no one around.... smile

We do not have crowded hunting conditions in Northern New England and success rates on a mature buck are well under 10%. Hunting during the rut does no harm.

I have done some rut hunting for mule deer.....they seem to lose all caution and are a bit too easy with a CF rifle,although I guess not always.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BobinNH

I have done some rut hunting for mule deer.....they seem to lose all caution and are a bit too easy with a CF rifle,although I guess not always.

3.5 year old bucks of either species can get pretty stupid here in MT during the rut. The older ones are pretty smart usually. I don't think one is easier than the other, but a 3.5 YO mule deer with decent genetics is a "big one" to a lot of people, which I think gives mule deer their reputation for being easier.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
belly deep I think you're right.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Out West - FACT! LOL
[Linked Image]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Otter6
OK. I was involved in a discussion recently. A bunch of us easterners were hashing out various deer hunting related nonsense. Rifles,calibers,scopes. It seems there is an underlying thread through the whole "Out west" conundrum. Seems flat shooting rifles with high magnification glass are best suited to hunting out west. Yep. That's the skinny. So,here it is. How about all of our resident western deer hunters chime in. What is the average, longest,and shortest range you take mule deer at? A bunch of folks here think all mule deer are shot at no less than 300 yards. (Most have never been west of the Mississippi) I know I can count on the "Fire" to iron this out. They won't listen to me.

All but perhaps 3 of the mule deer I've taken were under 300 yards. Laser wasn't working for two of them and didn't have one for the other, which was back in the 80's. Google Earth suggests 290-320 for the two and about 330-360 for the other. The majority have been much closer, most under 200 yards, with a couple inside 15 yards.

If coming from out of state I'd recommend any rifle capable of 300 yard or longer shots that you can handle well - which is to say I'd leave my .30-30 and other leverguns (.44 Mag, .375 Win, .45-70) at home. Although I've taken mulies with my .300WM, it wasn't needed. As to a scope, I have 3-9x and a sprinkling of 4.5-14x on my bolt rifles. Both work fine but I've never needed the 14x. My advice would be 3-9x with a drop-compensating reticle or knobs and a good pair of binocs.

A .243 Win would be at the bottom of my list for a combined elk/deer hunt but .243's have taken lots of both species. If it was all I had I wouldn't have any problem heading west for mulies armed only with my .257 Roberts and a 100g TTSX, 115g AB or 120g A-Frame or Partition. Over the years I've often considered the .270 Win to arguably be the best choice for a dedicated deer rifle. If coming from out of state for a mule deer only hunt my .280 Rem or 7mm RM with 140g TTSX or AB bullets and a 3-9x compensating scope would be my first choice.

Daughter #1 got a deer tag this year and will be using her .308 Win and a 3-9x Burris Fullfield II with Ballistic Plex reticle during Colorado's combined deer/elk season, as well as for Wyoming antelope. Bullet choice is yet to be determined but we have loads worked up for 130g TTSX and 150g AB. Whichever she shoots best will get the nod for all.

Short answer: Got something between a .243 Win and a .300WM with a decent scope? Bring it.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well since I go back east to hunt mule deer, my perspective is... pretty much in line with Shrap, Ingwe, BobinNH, JG and a bunch of other experienced mule deer hunters. Been traveling and am late to this discussion. Pretty much all has been said, and well. Shrap had it right: hunting is what you make of it. (including how far you shoot).

For folks who consider long range shots at mule deer axiomatic: remember that bow hunters are killing bucks in the same area.

My longest mule deer: (that I can remember) 260 yards.

Closest mule deer: 40 feet (on a 180 class buck). I've got a dozen or two under 50 yards.

Average: Getting longer in recent years as I take the easier-to-get longer shots rather than crawl around in brush. Is probably now over 75 yards. Purely hunting style/choices. You can shoot across a wide open flat or ease through that little strip of weeds and brush along a ditch or a trace of creek.

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

482 members (12344mag, 219DW, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 58 invisible), 2,339 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,143
Posts18,502,764
Members73,991
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.