-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I had a mini that I sent to Texas and it came back shooting 1/2". Murdered some coyotes with that one.

LOL
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
There have been more than a few minis that have ended up with a shilen tube and some work on them that shoot.

Its not unlike doing the accuracy mods to an M14 I suspect. I say suspect because while I know what to do with an M14 I've never pulled a mini apart to see how closely they compare.

They are supposed to be a clone, IE the name...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I know people that prefer the overall feel and ergonomics of a mini. I don't know anyone who preferred the accuracy of a mini over an AR though. I killed my first few deer with a mini 30 so they have a spot in my collection. However, I just can't like inaccurate rifles and don't find myself grabbing one to take shooting or hunting.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think the Mini gained popularity when the AR still had a spotty reputation for reliability. And yes the ergos do suit some people more than the AR.

I had one in the early 90's that would put 5 in an inch at 100 yards. I wasn't smart enough to keep it, unfortunately. I've also got Dad's 180 series, which has the super-skinny barrel. I've never run it seriously, but if it will shoot 3 or 5 accurately from a cold barrel, that's plenty good for a predator rifle. It will get some use, for sentimental reasons if nothing else.

Not everybody is free to pick what they want for rifles, so in those cases the Mini isn't a bad option. But except for artificial constraints the AR will do just about everything better.

One thing I noticed when I had a Ruger .44 carbine; those silly slick plastic buttplates that Ruger used for years on Minis, .22's, and .44 - play hell with accuracy; the gun slides around on your shoulder when firing. A rubber buttplate is much superior.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hated my M-16 during my time in USMC. I could see the bullets tumbling if the light was right and trying to put it on paper was a waste of time. But the bullets that hit the paper were often sideways. I suppose they were more lethal that way frown.

When I got out, I bought a Mini-14. That was over 40 years ago. They were not so accurate, but much more accurate than that damn M-16.

Now, I own a AR-15, heavy barrel. It is one of my prairie dog guns. Generally I still have this deep down disgust for anything that looks like that damn M-16.

My M-14 in the USMC was much better and I have a fond feelings for those M-14's.

Last edited by Bugger; 06/19/16.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
IC B2

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Where's that BS flag?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I hate those damn slick 'carbine' style butt-plates myself. Ruger adding a rubber pad to the 580 and newer Minis was something they should have been done long ago.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by TWR
Where's that BS flag?

+1

V
V
I agree with the op. I've owned 2 AR platforms and never really cared for them. I will be the first to admit, most AR's will out group a mini pretty easily. The mini I have now shoots a minute-of-barn door group. But I've got several bolt guns that will shoot under a minute, so that really wasn't my concern. I wanted a reliable, simple, high volume truck and plinking gun. Everybody I hand that mini to when we go shoot loves it. Theres no teaching them how to run it, where the buttons are, it's just rack and go. There are alot of reasons why my AR's left, and the mini never will.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by 117LBS
I felt that way once. I got a mini and spent a while trying to get it to shoot before getting tired of it. I had the same misgivings about AR's, but having gotten one recently I have found many things to like. Initial accuracy of the AR was enough to cure me of ever wanting a mini again.
That's pretty much my path, too, but I've had AR's for a while now. Probably about 15 years. I understand the Mini's shoot better than they did 15-20 years ago, but AR's still win the day on too many counts for me.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
IC B3

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can't speak as to the Mini 14. I've only owned one, and for a VERY brief time. Only 3 weeks. Never fired it. Bought it from someone that hated the thing. It had an original factory wire folding stock on it.

I had another buddy that found out about the Mini 14 and made me an offer that I could not refuse. I paid $350 for the rifle, and he paid me $1,000.00 Not bad on the turn around price since I had not even placed it up for sale or told too many people that I owned the darn thing.

As for AR15's. I only own one at the present time. A LMT lower and a Model 1 upper with a Lothar 20", 1" diameter stainless barrel. 1:9 twist. It shoot's MUCH better than I can. It's not something that I'd want to carry afield very long because it's heavy, but it does shoot very well.

As for a true M14. I have a friend that served in Viet Nam. He carried an M14 chambered in 7.62x51.

To this day his go to big game rifle is a Springfield M14 in .308 Deer, elk, bear. Does not matter. He shoots it well, and is comfortable with it.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TWR
Where's that BS flag?

You may not have had the pleasure of getting handed down a M-16 that had been fired on fully automatic for a few years with bores that looked like gravel. I applaud your luck. Our platoon was handed POS's. Lucky you.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Bugger
Originally Posted by TWR
Where's that BS flag?

You may not have had the pleasure of getting handed down a M-16 that had been fired on fully automatic for a few years with bores that looked like gravel. I applaud your luck. Our platoon was handed POS's. Lucky you.

They are out there. And good ones too. But I can tell you a smoothbore mini ain't going to shoot any better...

Comparing a pristine Caprice to one with 300K miles ain't fair...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Varminthunter243
I agree with the op. I've owned 2 AR platforms and never really cared for them. I will be the first to admit, most AR's will out group a mini pretty easily. The mini I have now shoots a minute-of-barn door group. But I've got several bolt guns that will shoot under a minute, so that really wasn't my concern. I wanted a reliable, simple, high volume truck and plinking gun. Everybody I hand that mini to when we go shoot loves it. Theres no teaching them how to run it, where the buttons are, it's just rack and go. There are alot of reasons why my AR's left, and the mini never will.

RE knobs and such... if folks can't find the buttons on teh AR, they likely won't find the safety on teh mini either....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can't say I prefer the Mini, but I don't hate on it like some do.
It was my first semi 5.56, fun to shoot, with good ergos.
It's still in the safe and gets used occasionally.
It's a good starter center fire for the young'uns.
And as someone said earlier, it seems to be accurate enough to get the job done until you bench it and shoot groups.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
J
JoeBob Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
One thing I've ALWAYS hated about the AR is the lack of a conventional charging handle on the bolt. If you learned how to shoot in the Army and/or the AR is the first center fire you really shot, I doubt you think much of it.

Last edited by JoeBob; 06/21/16.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I was never in the military. AR is far from the first thing I ever shot, in fact it was WAY down the line after lots of other guns.

Didn't take more than a glance at the gun to figure it all out.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Army passed their warn out M16's to USMC. I believe due to the war being run by Westmoreland General US Army.

But there's people that have no knowledge yet they still have opinions.

Those worthless M16's went to training too.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've had a brand new M16A1 upper that would do 1.5 MOA without any trouble. It was accurate enough that I floated it and tried to wear it out. Shot and owned enough pencil barrels to know your original statement didn't hold water. Thanks for clarifying.

Basing your opinion on a worn out barrel has done you no favors.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Bugger
The Army passed their warn out M16's to USMC. I believe due to the war being run by Westmoreland General US Army.

But there's people that have no knowledge yet they still have opinions.

Those worthless M16's went to training too.

When you say gravel for bores, I read not accurate at all. If your POS comment meant junk all around, you are still comparing worn out to non worn out. IE if you were handed a mini that had a million rounds down it...

I've never owned a mini, but I"ve had more issues from real M1As over the years ever than from an AR.

And again, I prefer the feel of the M1A, but if I can get used to an AR being an extension of my body, then almost anyone should be able to.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

209 members (12344mag, 257 mag, 2500HD, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 160user, 257robertsimp, 21 invisible), 1,740 guests, and 998 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,495
Posts18,472,146
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.