Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by saj
Tell her that your grandson should know how to safely handle guns unless she does not want him spending time with you.

Show her the photos of his smile and ask, Would you rather he learn from an experienced pro or some kid on the street or a tV show or video game.

I coach a rifle Team at high school (air rifle) same reasoning there.

Safety, responsibility, respect...

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One tip, mark:

He may be too young now...

...but next weekend, he'll be older.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by carbon12
Campfire wisdom

Stick: threats to daughter of shunning grandson, kicks to liberal daughter's ass, blatantly showing preference for the other daughter.

Carrot: learning to swim is drown-proofing. Learning to shoot and gun safety is gun-proofing. Water and guns will be encountered in a boy's life. Best to know how to handle both.

This!

Swim lessons are EXPENSIVE, but I realize the value of your statement and will gladly fork it over to save their lives which hopefully will never happen.

Shooting is different, though, money is no object! grin

You're on the mark, they are both life savers!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What Steelhead said, lay low for a while, you planted the seed, he won't forget a day like that.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe she just wanted you to ask her if it was ok to take him shooting. It could be a respect/boundary thing and have little to do with guns. If it was me I would talk to her in a neutral setting. Not at your house or her house and just the two of you. Take her to lunch or get some coffee. Tell her you know that it is her son and it is her decision to make. Don't get defensive or mad. You need to be the voice of reason. Explain that guns were an important part of your upbringing and you want to pass it along to your grandson. Tell her that showing the kid how to use a gun responsibly under supervision will make him less likely to abuse or misuse them. Invite her to come along, so she can see the safety precautions you are using to protect the little guy. The important thing is to make her feel like it is her decision not your decision.

I wish you well. She may not let him go and she might apologize for blowing up and give you her blessing. Hard to say from here behind the keyboard. Don't lose your cool, she is sitting in the catbird seat.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Shooting glasses wouldn't hurt.

Yeah! What's with that? Are you sure you are qualified to teach gun safety?

I hate to take that attitude with you but it is a glaring safety risk.

What would your daughter's reaction have been if you brought her son back with a cut or burn on his cornea from an ejected casing? Or an eye full of ejecta from a burst rim?

National Rifle Association - Patron Member
National Muzzleloading Rifle Association - Life Member and 1 of 1000
Illinois State Rifle Association - Life Member
Carlinville Rifle & Pistol Club
~ Molɔ̀ːn Labé ~
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Leave an upper decker in her bathroom.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm with Gunreader on the glasses.If you are such a 'stickler" and "no excuses",make sure he wears them.Rims do separate on rimfires.And hopefully your daughter will come around.You're a good Grampa for that boy,plain to see by the smile on his face! Scott

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for all the replies. Yes he did have eye protection on at the time of firing. We had an agreement this morning that only .22 LR would be used until he is older. I can respect that. Then she goes to work and talks to her Liberal [bleep] friends on FB and back to "NoDeal". I feel sorry for my grandson for the fact that his mother is a closed minded follower.... FWIW the sperm donor for my grandson is NOT in the picture. Thanks again.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Parents do have a right to raise their kids. Remind her that everyone should know about guns, even if they do not shoot.

I was raised in a non hunting non shooting family. When we visited cousins I was wild to get to the dump with a .22 if I could talk my cousin into it. There is a mystique about guns for a lot of us. So a kid that wants to shoot will find a way, or be a wound up spring. IE

The day I turned 21 I bought a revolver, kinda made the clerk uneasy, but I never did anything bad with it. I was an adult before a friend invited me to go hunting with him, showing me the ropes of gutting, skinning, and butchering. It was all things I wanted to do, but never had a chance.

DO not punish the kid if mom will not let him shoot, still maintain a good relationship and do other things.
BTW, my range will not let me take in a minor without the parent along.

Last edited by kennyd; 06/21/16.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by barm
Maybe she just wanted you to ask her if it was ok to take him shooting. It could be a respect/boundary thing and have little to do with guns. If it was me I would talk to her in a neutral setting. Not at your house or her house and just the two of you. Take her to lunch or get some coffee. Tell her you know that it is her son and it is her decision to make. Don't get defensive or mad. You need to be the voice of reason. Explain that guns were an important part of your upbringing and you want to pass it along to your grandson. Tell her that showing the kid how to use a gun responsibly under supervision will make him less likely to abuse or misuse them. Invite her to come along, so she can see the safety precautions you are using to protect the little guy. The important thing is to make her feel like it is her decision not your decision.

I wish you well. She may not let him go and she might apologize for blowing up and give you her blessing. Hard to say from here behind the keyboard. Don't lose your cool, she is sitting in the catbird seat.

Good advice, Remember the "Don't lose your cool" part.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mailmanmark
We had an agreement this morning that only .22 LR would be used until he is older. I can respect that. Then she goes to work and talks to her Liberal [bleep] friends on FB and back to "NoDeal". I feel sorry for my grandson for the fact that his mother is a closed minded follower.... FWIW the sperm donor for my grandson is NOT in the picture. Thanks again.

You did a piss poor job of raising her.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Give it time. That kid will not forget your day of shooting. The fact that his mother is against it will probably make it all the more appealing to him. If he is like most boys he will bring it up every chance he gets, she will get sick of hearing about it. Fat chance mom will get that kid to lean liberal when Grandpa leans the other way. Most boys idolize Grandpa and their beliefs, not mom. You will get the chance to teach him how to shoot again, just a matter of when.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Really,....sometimes apples roll away from the tree.

Just the way it is, and I won't put you down for the way she's turned out.

You're doing GREAT, and time IS on your side,...pace yourself, and don't let the kid become a pawn, it'll all work out, Gramps.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Remind her that life isn't all about her...

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I can tell, by the look on his face, you have already won. ;-{>8

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You might want to remind her that introducing the kid to guns in a controlled environment will help end some of the curiosity about guns. It's curiosity that gets the best of children when they find a loaded gun in a friend's house.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Guns exist in the world. Without thoughtful training by a responsible adult, preferably grandpa, the proper use of a gun will be dictated by Hollywood or the gangbangers on the news. Should he encounter a firearm, whose influence will keep him safer?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
pellet gun.

ultimate compromise.

also, ask her if she feels safer for her son if he knows nothing about guns and finds on in a friend's home, or knows a lot, and finds one and tells someone.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by viking
Cut her out of the will, liberals only care about money. Name the boy instead. But that is my knee jerk reaction.

Exactly my thoughts....

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (12344mag, 219 Wasp, 222Sako, 1eyedmule, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 56 invisible), 2,532 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,570
Posts18,473,278
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.