Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 25 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 24 25
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I would get the CZ 550 Kevlar Carbine in 9.3x62 and be done with it. It won't take more than a week or so to have one in your hands.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
I would get the CZ 550 Kevlar Carbine in 9.3x62 and be done with it. It won't take more than a week or so to have one in your hands.

That's a great option. There's also the Zastava. I believe they make them in stainless too. However, I think the OP is pretty dead set on the 35 Whelen..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Guess you missed my previous post.

"your post: 3) Regarding your statement that there is “no shortage of .35 Whelens for sale,” the only CRF factory .35Ws I have seen for sale in current production are the Montana Rifle Co. AVR or V2. I have also seen a few used M77s and Hawkeyes in .35W, but I believe they are now out of production. If you know of other factory CRF .35W rifles for sale that I have not considered, please let me know."

my post: "as I recall reading, the 35 Whelen is not approved for hunting Buffs in Africa, the 9.3x62 is.

as for rifles:

gunsamerica.com has 3 bolt guns w/walnut, CZ, SAKO and Ruger

gunbroker.com has 1 CZ carbine walnut

hinterland.com has 1 CZ rifle walnut"

As for the 9.3 vs the 35, most African PHs prefer the former.
Boutique ammo (Buffalo Bore) is not the same as Barnes,Hornady or Norma.

Partition are fine bullets but Barnes are better (again see what PHs suggest)

Barnes offers in their VOR TX ammo

Cartridge 9.3 x 62mm
B.C .411
Box QTY 20
Weight/Type 286 TSX BT
Velocity 2355
Catalog # 21577

would hammer anything

Barnes also offers a 250 gr bullet that may be pushed to 2600 fps with handloads.

BTW 9.3x62 may be made from 06' cases as Ken Waters demonstrated in his book Pet Loads.

I own two of each plus a 9.3x74 No. 1. think the only reason the whelen exists is that back then 06 cases were easy to come by and metric cartridges were pretty much unknown/disliked.

guess my age is showing. jobs are what we had to get $ to entice the ladies into interesting positions.

sounds like a grand adventure ahead for you.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

True and an excellent choice. I have not ruled it out by any means.

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
That's a great option. There's also the Zastava. I believe they make them in stainless too. However, I think the OP is pretty dead set on the 35Whelen.

I didn’t consider the Zavasta, which I’ll look into. I’m not necessarily dead set on the .35 Whelen. My reasons for ranking the .35W first on the list are as follows:
1) Availability of many different types/brands of factory ammo. A simple internet search on wikiarms.com or ammoseek.com will conform this.
2) .30-06-based, so reloading components are far more plentiful – especially brass.
3) Several options in terms of CRF rifles that could be converted to .35W

Obviously the CZ 550 carbine in 9.3x62, would be easier in terms of simply purchasing the rifle, but factory ammo options are somewhat lacking when compared to the .35W – especially in terms of the bullets I typically like, i.e. Nosler Partition, Barnes, North Fork. For some reason there seems to be several 9.2x63 factory loads that use the Accubond, which may be fine for caribou, but I’d definitely prefer a more heavily constructed bullet for bruins.

Last edited by High_Noon; 06/26/16.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I vote for a Weatherby Vanguard S2 Synthetic in .375 H&H. It retails for $799 and can be had for less.

http://www.weatherby.com/vanguard-synthetic-375-h-h-mag.html

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
stlooiearch: Thanks for the clarification. No, I did not miss your previous post. In my estimation, Sako, although a very nice rifle is not a true CRF – it’s somewhat of a hybrid. I am obviously aware of the CZ in 9.3x62. The Ruger Safari/African in 9.3x62 looks like a nice rifle indeed! bsa1917hunter mentioned the Zavasta, which may also be an option for me.

As far as CRF rifles in .35W, the only complete rifles I have seen are used custom Mausers, a few Rugers and the Montana.

Regarding your statement that by going the .35W route, I am doing it the hardest way possible, I must respectfully disagree. Since a factory CRF .35W is a rare animal, I determined, with the help of the great members of this forum, that the most cost-effective way of getting what I want, namely a CRF in .35W with a sleek profile, that carries easy, and has great 'pointability' is to rebarrel a M70 or possibly a M77, but I don’t view the M77 MKII as excelling in the above characteristics. I think the most expensive and hardest way possible to do this would be a custom Mauser build through an experienced gunsmith. Doing such a build myself is an option, I am very mechanically inclined, but I have never undertaken such a project and I have neither the time, inclination or expertise to do so at this point in my life.

I am also aware that in some African countries, the 9.3x62 is approved for hunting Cape Buff., but that is not really of concern to me – unless I make a boat-load of cash, or one of my wealthy friends offers to take me on Safari – I’ll likely never get the chance to hunt the Dark Continent.

Since I plan to take up reloading for either caliber, I’ll be able to cook up whatever I want using premium bullets of my choice, i.e. Barnes, Partition or North Fork, etc.

As far as the job/position question is concerned, at 47, it’s difficult to have to face the fact that I am starting over, especially when the vast majority of my friends and family are well established and successful. Unfortunately, the successful business I had was devastated by the events of 9/11 and its aftermath. I’ve struggled to find my way ever since – not to mention the state of the economy and the problems it has caused for me. I am really past the point in my life where a simple job will allow me to accomplish what I want to in life. And though enticing the ladies into interesting positions is still of great interest, it’s not my primary concern at this point – providing for both my daughter and my future is much more critical, especially in this new liberal/PC world that has devastated our economy. Hopefully, things in the U.S. will begin to turn around in November.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by postoak
I vote for a Weatherby Vanguard S2 Synthetic in .375 H&H. It retails for $799 and can be had for less.

http://www.weatherby.com/vanguard-synthetic-375-h-h-mag.html

If I was going to get a non CRF rifle, I would definitely consider an Accumark, but for dangerous game, CRF is my strong preference. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

- Del Gue
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by High_Noon

True and an excellent choice. I have not ruled it out by any means.

That's a great option. There's also the Zastava. I believe they make them in stainless too. However, I think the OP is pretty dead set on the 35Whelen.

I didn’t consider the Zavasta, which I’ll look into. I’m not necessarily dead set on the .35 Whelen. My reasons for ranking the .35W first on the list are as follows:
1) Availability of many different types/brands of ammo. A simple internet search on wikiarms.com or ammoseek.com will conform this.
2) .30-06-based, so reloading components are far more plentiful – especially brass.
3) Several options in terms of CRF rifles that could be converted to .35W

Obviously the CZ 550 carbine in 9.3x62, would be easier in terms of simply purchasing the rifle, but factory ammo options are somewhat lacking when compared to the .35W – especially in terms of the bullets I typically like, i.e. Nosler Partition, Barnes, North Fork. For some reason there seems to be several 9.2x63 factory loads that use the Accubond, which may be fine for caribou, but I’d definitely prefer a more heavily constructed bullet for bruins.

High noon, if your are seriously considering getting into reloading you could go with the 9.3x62mm. That's one of my favorite cartridges. Very comparable to a 35 Whelen. I would buy Nosler partitions for very reasonable prices at SPS (shooters pro shop) if that's the kind of bullet you like. I've seen the blemished/seconds 286 gr. pills sell for less than $20.00/box. That's why you see many of my 10 shot and 5 shot groups posted here... laugh . Anyway, I'm not going to tell you one is better than the other. Or for that matter, why a 200gr. nosler partition in the good ol 30-06 won't work as well as either of those 2 cartridges either. Hell, I might even try to steer you into getting a 338 win mag or 375 H&H since you are talking big critters. I like them all and shoot them all, can't say enough about all the bigger cartridges I enjoy shooting. Either way, it sounds like you are level headed enough to make a good decision...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Wow. Just tuned into this discussion, had to go check the calendar, thought I had missed a few months and winter had set in the way the hash was slinging here. My only advice on the 35 Whelen, PM Mart when you are in AK and need some help, I think from my limited PMs with him, he will help you a lot. Good luck.

"The day I went to work everybody showed up to watch Johnny Luster work. Well, they had a wheelbarrow there, and said I was to push that thing around all day. I looked at it, then turned around and headed for the mountians..."
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by stlooiearch
So lets sum this up:

the OP is going to take a "position" not a job

he is planning on getting a 35 whelen, clearly inferior to the CZ 9.3x62 he could buy for about the same money.(he already owns a CZ, so no learning curve)

if he MUST have a whelen, he is doing it the hardest way possible by reboring something else, is spite of no shortage of factory CRF 35 whelens for sale

now, because all 35 whelen factory ammo is inferior to that available for the 9.3x62, he's thinking about reloading

can hardly wait until we move on to a scope for the rifle.

Can hardly wait until your worthless ass moves on permanently. FOAD

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
High noon, if your are seriously considering getting into reloading you could go with the 9.3x62mm. That's one of my favorite cartridges. Very comparable to a 35 Whelen. I would buy Nosler partitions for very reasonable prices at SPS (shooters pro shop) if that's the kind of bullet you like. I've seen the blemished/seconds 286 gr. pills sell for less than $20.00/box. That's why you see many of my 10 shot and 5 shot groups posted here... laugh . Anyway, I'm not going to tell you one is better than the other. Or for that matter, why a 200gr. nosler partition in the good ol 30-06 won't work as well as either of those 2 cartridges either. Hell, I might even try to steer you into getting a 338 win mag or 375 H&H since you are talking big critters. I like them all and shoot them all, can't say enough about all the bigger cartridges I enjoy shooting. Either way, it sounds like you are level headed enough to make a good decision...

bsa: Thanks. I’ve been planning on taking up reloading for many, many years. I have several books on reloading and a few manuals as well. I’ve even goon so far as to design my reloading bench. Unfortunately, life has taken precedence. Since I’ll basically be starting my life over upon my graduation, I plan to make several major changes. My life is more than half over and I’ve come to realize that I need to make the most of what time I have left. Part of that equation is doing more things I enjoy, which will include more shooting, hunting and reloading.

I’m aware of the ability a .30-06 with 200s or 220s. I am also aware of what my .270 M77 MKII loaded with 150 gr. Nosler Partitions is capable of. In my estimation, the 9.2x63 is a substantial jump in power over the .270 or even the .30-06. I am more of the school that believes in large chunks of lead thrown at moderate velocities.

Notwithstanding my .270, which is somewhat high-intensity, the recoil of the .338, which I view as high-intensity, is sharp and is at the limit of what I can easily tolerate. The .375 H&H is also a bit past my limit. What I like about both the .35 Whelen and the 9.3x62 is that they are not belted magnums and that the recoil is easier for me to tolerate. I have also shot a friends .45-70 Marlin Guide Gun w/ 350 grained pills and I found it to be manageable. If I’m honest with myself, I need to accept that as I get older, recoil will become more of an issue.

I am confident that when the time comes for me to purchase this rifle, I will make the right decision. I really can’t go wrong with either caliber, where I can go wrong is with the rifle I choose.

Last edited by High_Noon; 06/27/16.

- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
deleted

- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by maggie
My only advice on the 35 Whelen, PM Mart when you are in AK and need some help, I think from my limited PMs with him, he will help you a lot. Good luck.

Thanks Maggie. Mart has very generously offered to help and I will certainly make contact at some point in the future.

- Del Gue
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
My 35 Whelen on a pre-64 Model 70 action

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Shoots pretty good with Federal Factory Ammo. Ill load up a bunch after I run out of factory stuff.

Last edited by Sakohunter264; 06/26/16.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sakohunter264
My 35 Whelen on a pre-64 Model 70 action.

Very nice! & a nice grouping too!

I saw the St. Augustine grass in the photo, and thought you must be in Texas. I was correct.

- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I keep waffling between the CZ 550 Kevlar in 9.3x62 and the M70 Extreme Weather SS either bored out to .35W or with a Douglas. A difficult decision. My concern with the CZ is the twist rate of 1:10 and the delicate trigger, but the trigger could easily be replaced with a Timney. From all accounts, the B&C stock on the M70 Extreme Weather is crap & would have to be replaced as well. Perhaps I can find one that already has a McMillan. At least with the M70, I could specify a 1:12 or 1:14 twist rate. Still leaning towards the Whelen.

- Del Gue
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
High Noon-

Check your PMs. The flashing envelope icon near the top.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
LARRY ROOT, poor misunderstood LARRY ROOT...

"your post: 3) Regarding your statement that there is “no shortage of .35 Whelens for sale,” the only CRF factory .35Ws I have seen for sale in current production are the Montana Rifle Co. AVR or V2. I have also seen a few used M77s and Hawkeyes in .35W, but I believe they are now out of production. If you know of other factory CRF .35W rifles for sale that I have not considered, please let me know."

my post: "as I recall reading, the 35 Whelen is not approved for hunting Buffs in Africa, the 9.3x62 is.

as for rifles:

Cartridge 9.3 x 62mm
B.C .411
Box QTY 20
Weight/Type 286 TSX BT
Velocity 2355
Catalog # 21577

would hammer anything

Barnes also offers a 250 gr bullet that may be pushed to 2600 fps with handloads.

BTW 9.3x62 may be made from 06' cases as Ken Waters demonstrated in his book Pet Loads.

I own two of each plus a 9.3x74 No. 1. think the only reason the whelen exists is that back then 06 cases were easy to come by and metric cartridges were pretty much unknown/disliked.

guess my age is showing. jobs are what we had to get $ to entice the ladies into interesting positions.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Brian, poor misunderstood Brian

as for rifles:

Cartridge 9.3 x 62mm
B.C .411
Box QTY 20
Weight/Type 286 TSX BT
Velocity 2355
Catalog # 21577

would hammer anything

there corrected.

just who is this guy you are so concerned about ?

btw, who might you be ?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If stuff doesn't go right on a hunt or two..u would be hard presses to bum a few whelen rounds much ...much less some 9.3x62.....just saying

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Page 5 of 25 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 24 25

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 160user, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 57 invisible), 2,164 guests, and 1,078 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,561
Posts18,531,616
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.