Hop To
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Originally Posted by Bobmar
I'm sure the ATF is going to drop everything and get right on that! His only chance of getting it back, rests with your willingness to return it. Unless somehow, your wife failed to return it in accordance with their divorce decree, or he previously reported it stolen, he's SOL. It's no different than any other property. No, I'm not a lawyer but I've had to deal with similar issues.

Bingo.

Substitute the word "guitar" for "firearm" in your musings.

Property is property. Let him call the ATF... your wife has committed NO CRIME!

This^^

Let him call the ATF, they'll laugh at him if they don't just hang up. Same thing with the local law enforcement. It doesn't matter that it's an AR, it's property and he abandoned it 10 years ago. It now belongs to your wife. Don't try and send it to NY, don't do anything. Just ignore him.

Doing anything other than nothing is just feeding the troll, it's like responding to a post by walt.

Don't make a mountain out of a molehill

GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
What AR 15 rifle?

NRA Patron
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd not respond to the email in any fashion. If the fella is sincere I'd wait for a registered letter.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Originally Posted by cooper57m
You might want to check with someone familiar with NY law or contact the NY State Police. It may very well be illegal for you to send it to NY for transfer or sale. NY has banned the sale and I believe transfer of "assault weapons" as defined by the NY SAFE Act. In order to keep these rifles, they had to have been registered. They either had to be registered or sold/transferred to an out of state person or NY FFL holder. I'm pretty sure it would illegal in NY for you to send it to him. That plus it being declared abandoned property, I'm pretty sure that it is yours. If he plays hardball with you, ask him to send you a letter from the NY State Police stating that it is legal to send this rifle into NY for transfer. That'll never happen and will shut him up.

The NY SAFE ACT:

"Broadens definition of "assault weapon" from two identified features to one. The sale and/or transfer of newly defined assault weapons is banned within the state, although sales out of state are permitted. Possession of the newly defined assault weapons is allowed only if they were possessed at the time that the law was passed, and must be registered with the state within one year."

This would seem to prohibit you from transferring the rifle back to him.

You really need to stfu and go away

Intelligent people will understand that I was just making him aware of the NY law so that he wouldn't get into legal trouble by trying to transfer that rifle to someone in NY. I was not defending the law. I've supported having that law repealed and support the civil disobedience that owners of these rifles NOT register them.

I'm not going anywhere.

Last edited by cooper57m; 06/28/16.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I still wouldn't want a gun I didn't buy and some other guy wanted back.

I'd make it available to him if he wanted it.

Would be no skin off my nose.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
On the off chance that the moron might do something stupid like reporting the rifle stolen, make copies of his email and keep them tucked away.

If it were legal, I might send him the rifle, but it isn't. If I really wanted to close the matter I'd sell it and send him the proceeds, with documentation.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
"Silence is Golden"

Let him talk to himself.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Tell that dork to forget he ever knew his X cause he don't want to know you!

Trump Won!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by wyoelk
How about playing the "Be an adult" game? If its his damn gun, give it to him. Problem solved.

By rewarding his assholiness?

That'll make him stop that, right? whistle

How much luck would any of us have if we called up our ex of 10 years and told her to turn over something we left there?

I understand your point. Here is mine.... Who gives a flying fug? It isn't your rifle. Give it back to him. One less reason to have to deal with him.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by teal
How about playing the "Be an adult" game? If its his damn gun, give it to him. Problem solved.

1. Because it's not his anymore?
2. Abandoned property
3. Not legal to sell/give back for him to possess in the state of NY

That's why

1- Did he sell it?
2- Is it yours?
3- that's his fugging problem

You guys would really keep a firearm that isn't yours? Deep pool of honest men we have here.

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by tedthorn

You are obviously unaware of how many people who divorce interact.

Bless your heart

I've found it to be best to act like grown azz adults. Bless your heart.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by gitem_12
You might want to check with someone familiar with NY law or contact the NY State Police. It may very well be illegal for you to send it to NY for transfer or sale. NY has banned the sale and I believe transfer of "assault weapons" as defined by the NY SAFE Act. In order to keep these rifles, they had to have been registered. They either had to be registered or sold/transferred to an out of state person or NY FFL holder. I'm pretty sure it would illegal in NY for you to send it to him. That plus it being declared abandoned property, I'm pretty sure that it is yours. If he plays hardball with you, ask him to send you a letter from the NY State Police stating that it is legal to send this rifle into NY for transfer. That'll never happen and will shut him up.

The NY SAFE ACT:

"Broadens definition of "assault weapon" from two identified features to one. The sale and/or transfer of newly defined assault weapons is banned within the state, although sales out of state are permitted. Possession of the newly defined assault weapons is allowed only if they were possessed at the time that the law was passed, and must be registered with the state within one year."

This would seem to prohibit you from transferring the rifle back to him.

You really need to stfu and go away

Intelligent people will understand that I was just making him aware of the NY law so that he wouldn't get into legal trouble by trying to transfer that rifle to someone in NY. I was not defending the law. I've supported having that law repealed and support the civil disobedience that owners of these rifles NOT register them.

I'm not going anywhere.

All I see you do on this forum is cry out for everyone to make sure they follow the safe act, and let's just compromise and give up standard capacity magazines.

As I said, he should sanitize the gun and drive it to west point, drop it off at the door of the CO'S residence with a note saying who it belongs to and that it is not registered per safe act regulations.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
It would depend on how he treated my 'now' Wife.

Trump Won!
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I'd be inclined to just give the fella his rifle back. I'm guessing he is the one that bought it?

If we allow him to do this to us now, what else will he try to do in the future.

Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by taylorce1
Originally Posted by 4ager

Ah. Time to tell him to f'k off. Sounds like he only gave a schit about the kid when it was clear that YOU give a schit about the kid.

She's my daughter not his, I've raised her for the last eight years since she was five.

If she's your daughter, act like it, and never ask him for anything.

This whole episode began when you initiated contact with him, asking for money.

The more you keep him out of your lives, the better your lives will be. There's no upside is giving him an opportunity to mess with your wife and daughter.

I didn't ask him for anything, and I didn't want the money. However, he's always trying to find my wife in violation of the decree at every chance he gets. I read the decree and she has to inform him of any extraordinary medical/dental procedures and both parties are supposed to pay half the expenses not covered, orthodontia was one of the examples as well. So my wife was abiding by the divorce decree when she sent him the quote with the costs and what his share would be and ours from the orthodontists office to be in compliance with the decree.

I never cared one way or another if he paid or not, my daughter needs the braces and she'll get them. However, I don't want to give him any ammunition to use against us in court when we wind up there again. My wife and I will allow him to violate the decree all he wants, it just helps us out in court.

I read in the decree he was supposed to remove any items from the residence as soon as possible when he returned from his deployment to Tunisia. It also specified that any long term storage of his items was supposed to be agreed upon by both parties in writing. Even though the AR-15 was his before the marriage it wasn't listed in his non marital assets on the decree.

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by 280shooter
I hope anyone who is reading this and considering marrying a gal with kids thinks it through first. A lifetime of pain in the azz - generally from losers.

Best thing I ever did was marry my wife, I got one awesome kid in the deal. I'd deal with 10 lifetimes of pain in the azz losers to have my daughter.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
It's unfortunate the random acts of violence that seem to befall such people. Tsk Tsk. A real shame.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
" ...It isn't your rifle. Give it back to him. ..."

Not quite. As he bought it when they were married, it became community property, therefore, it was at that time only ½ his.

Whoops. Just read the man bought the rifle before they were married.

L.W.

Last edited by Leanwolf; 06/28/16.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I never cared one way or another if he paid or not, my daughter needs the braces and she'll get them. However, I don't want to give him any ammunition to use against us in court when we wind up there again. My wife and I will allow him to violate the decree all he wants, it just helps us out in court.

If being the good guy in court, or in life, is important, then doing like wyoelk suggests and agreeing to get the rifle to him in compliance with applicable laws at his expense, or, at least, offering to do so, helps in that goal. Life's too short to waste energy and money playing mind games with negative people.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by 280shooter
I hope anyone who is reading this and considering marrying a gal with kids thinks it through first. A lifetime of pain in the azz - generally from losers.

Best thing I ever did was marry my wife, I got one awesome kid in the deal. I'd deal with 10 lifetimes of pain in the azz losers to have my daughter.

Same here, I wouldn't trade my stepdaughter for anything, she is polite, very smart (national honors society, and straight A student) just a really great kid, despite her real dad being a dipschit

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
If she's your daughter, act like it, and never ask him for anything.

This whole episode began when you initiated contact with him, asking for money.

The more you keep him out of your lives, the better your lives will be. There's no upside is giving him an opportunity to mess with your wife and daughter.

So my wife was abiding by the divorce decree when she sent him the quote with the costs and what his share would be and ours from the orthodontists office to be in compliance with the decree.

Ok,

Now I understand.

Of course, if he's as much of a dick as you describe, he doesn't see it that way, he sees it as he ex-wife trying to squeeze him for some cash....but that is the nature of these things....

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 06/28/16.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

649 members (160user, 1badf350, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1234, 63 invisible), 2,784 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,237
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.