Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You don't need a lawyer!

Give him his gun back

OR

turn it in at next police "gun buy back" program you an find!

You'll be done with it for good either way!

Ray

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by taylorce1
Originally Posted by bangeye
Do you really want to hassle over a silly AR that was his originally. I would tell him to send you a hundred bucks to cover shipping and handling and a FFL that he wants it sent to. Get your FFl on your end to send it to his FFL and make him yellow sheet it again. Then go buy yourself a new AR. If it makes you feel better take it out and do about 20 mag dumps as fast as you can pull the trigger u till the barrel droops and the throat is cooked but I would not get a lawyer to try and keep something as trivial as a rifle.

I'm sure we're headed to court one way or another, that's just his M.O. If he doesn't get exactly what he wants he threatens and takes us to court. A couple years ago we had to let our attorney go after our last time in family court with him. He decided that he'd only correspond with us through our attorneys. So we had a monthly bill of about $200-300 for attorney fees for email correspondence, and our attorney told us that if we "fired" him then the Ex was the only one paying attorney fees.

As far as I'm concerned if he gets a stripped lower receiver then we've sent the rifle back. However, he doesn't care about the rifle he just wants the ATF to secure it. He's just making trouble for us.

He must be an officer to foot bill.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I just don't know what kind I'll need.

Here is the back story, my wife divorced her first husband in 2006. He left behind his AR-15 rifle, and has never asked for it until today. Today he said he's calling the ATF to have it recovered.

Here is a quote from the email He sent my wife:

Are you in possession of the AR15 rifle I left with you? I need to know the disposition of my rifle. I intend to notify ATF and take all legal measures to secure this weapon.

Now I'm hoping whomever answers the phone at the ATF is intelligent enough to ask the proper questions. I don't care about the AR-15, but I don't want this to escalate into a problem for me and my wife owning our current firearms and any future purchases. I don't know how it'll affect us when the rifle has been in possession of my wife for nearly eleven years. I can't legally send him the rifle because he lives in NY and teaches at West Point. Plus there is the principal of not giving him any satisfaction because he suddenly wants to make something an issue.

So is this a family law (divorce), a property rights, or some other?

If you are in possession of his rifle why don't you just give it to him (through a registered firearms dealer to cover your arse)...problem fixed.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by JSTUART

If you are in possession of his rifle why don't you just give it to him (through a registered firearms dealer to cover your arse)...problem fixed.

The point is: So long as the ex lives in NY, the OP and his wifle can't legally transfer that rifle to him. The rifle is not registered, it's too late to register it and no FFL in NY can legally transfer it. The only way for the couple with the rifle to avoid legal jeopardy would be if the ex went to them and took the rifle back. Then when the ex transports it to NY, it is the ex that has the legal jeopardy, not the OP and his wife.

Now, don't shoot the messenger - again (Gitem 12 talking to you). I didn't make the law or support it, just letting the OP (and others here) aware of the very restrictive nature of the SAFE Act and trying to keep the OP and his wife out of any potential legal trouble they probably don't want.

Last edited by cooper57m; 06/28/16.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by cooper57m

The point is: So long as the ex lives in NY he can't legally transfer that rifle to him. The rifle is not registered, it's too late to register it and no FFL in NY can legally transfer it. The only way for the couple with the rifle to avoid legal jeopardy would be if the ex went to them and took the rifle back. Then when the ex transports to NY, it is the ex that has the legal jeopardy, not the OP and his wife.

Now, don't shoot the messenger - again (Gitem 12 talking to you). I didn't make the law or support it, just letting the OP (and others here) aware of the very restrictive nature of the SAFE Act and trying to keep the OP and his wife out potential legal trouble they probably don't want.

No...the point is that when it is in the hands of a registered firearms dealer the problem no longer exists.

If the ex wishes to take it up with the ruling authority then he may do so at his own leisure.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

The point is: So long as the ex lives in NY he can't legally transfer that rifle to him. The rifle is not registered, it's too late to register it and no FFL in NY can legally transfer it. The only way for the couple with the rifle to avoid legal jeopardy would be if the ex went to them and took the rifle back. Then when the ex transports to NY, it is the ex that has the legal jeopardy, not the OP and his wife.

Now, don't shoot the messenger - again (Gitem 12 talking to you). I didn't make the law or support it, just letting the OP (and others here) aware of the very restrictive nature of the SAFE Act and trying to keep the OP and his wife out potential legal trouble they probably don't want.

No...the point is that when it is in the hands of a registered firearms dealer the problem no longer exists.

If the ex wishes to take it up with the ruling authority then he may do so at his own leisure.

Ok, one more time. No FFL in NY can legally accept the shipment of the AR-15 from out of state for transfer to a NY resident. NY FFLs can accept them from NY residents for transfer OUT of the State. There is one way to do it legally and that would be if the OP and his wife converted the AR-15 into a NY compliant form, removing all the cosmetic features that make a rifle an "assault rifle" in NY and sending it without a high capacity magazine. Why would or should the OP go to that expense to send the ex this rifle. Have the ex come and get it in the OPs state and then its all on the ex if he transports it into NY. That's about as clear as I can make it.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Ok, one more time. No FFL in NY can legally accept the shipment of the AR-15 from out of state for transfer to a NY resident. NY FFLs can accept them from NY residents for transfer OUT of the State.

So don't give it to a NY FFL...give it to the closest out of state FFL and let the ex sort it out.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The OP can try, but what out-of-state FFL will accept it under those circumstances, for transfer to an out-of-state resident who can't legally own it in the State where he resides? The ex can't "sort it out" there is no way for him to legally possess this rifle in NY, unless it is made to be NY compliant.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The OP can try, but what out-of-state FFL will accept it under those circumstances, for transfer to an out-of-state resident who can't legally own it in the State where he resides? The ex can't "sort it out" there is no way for him to legally possess this rifle in NY.

1. any that wishes to send a missive to the ex stating that if the firearm is not picked up with-in 30 days the firearm will be forfeited in lieu, or wishes to charge the ex $100.00 a month storage (my favourite).

2. who gives a flying f ck what the ex thinks about it?

Do the legal thing and let the ex sort his end out.

Last edited by JSTUART; 06/28/16.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by bangeye
Do you really want to hassle over a silly AR that was his originally. I would tell him to send you a hundred bucks to cover shipping and handling and a FFL that he wants it sent to. Get your FFl on your end to send it to his FFL and make him yellow sheet it again. Then go buy yourself a new AR. If it makes you feel better take it out and do about 20 mag dumps as fast as you can pull the trigger u till the barrel droops and the throat is cooked but I would not get a lawyer to try and keep something as trivial as a rifle.

I'm sure we're headed to court one way or another, that's just his M.O. If he doesn't get exactly what he wants he threatens and takes us to court. A couple years ago we had to let our attorney go after our last time in family court with him. He decided that he'd only correspond with us through our attorneys. So we had a monthly bill of about $200-300 for attorney fees for email correspondence, and our attorney told us that if we "fired" him then the Ex was the only one paying attorney fees.

As far as I'm concerned if he gets a stripped lower receiver then we've sent the rifle back. However, he doesn't care about the rifle he just wants the ATF to secure it. He's just making trouble for us.

He must be an officer to foot bill.

That was a pretty condescending statement, but nothing new for you.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Sweet Jesus, I've worried more about a hangnail than the sheit the ex is trying.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Sweet Jesus, I've worried more about a hangnail than the sheit the ex is trying.

If I were a betting man my money would be on us not getting all pertinent information, otherwise it would have been handled already.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

The point is: So long as the ex lives in NY, the OP and his wifle can't legally transfer that rifle to him. The rifle is not registered, it's too late to register it and no FFL in NY can legally transfer it. The only way for the couple with the rifle to avoid legal jeopardy would be if the ex went to them and took the rifle back. Then when the ex transports it to NY, it is the ex that has the legal jeopardy, not the OP and his wife.

Now, don't shoot the messenger - again (Gitem 12 talking to you). I didn't make the law or support it, just letting the OP (and others here) aware of the very restrictive nature of the SAFE Act and trying to keep the OP and his wife out of any potential legal trouble they probably don't want.

The point is once the OP writes him a letter to the effect sure We have it but if you want it I'll be happy to transfer it it to you or you can come and pick it up at a local FFL that is holding it for you etc. just let me know how you want it transferred. At that point the legal maneuvering stops and it puts the onus on the EX. What's he going to do take you to court after you said he could have it.If you want give him a time frame like 30 days or you are going to turn it into the police, sell it etc. Let him figure out he can't bring the gun into NY thats his problem.

Last edited by bangeye; 06/28/16.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
You needed the lawyer far before this.

You should have had the lawyer send the orthodonist letter requesting the money. You can't be handling this stuff yourself.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Man, there is some stupid advice on this thread.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
If I were a betting man my money would be on us not getting all pertinent information, otherwise it would have been handled already.

What information do you want to know? My wife made it a point to not have contact with her Ex unless it is dealing with her daughter. So he only gets notified if it's a medical issue or if she's doing something special with her school, 4H, or sports in case he wants to show up. He has made it known that he'll not visit his daughter where she lives, and she will only visit him where he is stationed or at his parents homes in the Carolinas or Florida.

I've been with my wife since 2008 and she was divorced in 2006. This is the first time he's ever asked about the AR-15 rifle since I've been with her. So there is a two year gap I don't know nor do I care about.

Now there have been several times in the last eight years he's tried to stir trouble up for us. He never asks or offers a compromise, he gives us orders on what we'll do and when he expects it done regarding his daughter and other things like this rifle. However this is the first time he has ever threatened to involve any form law enforcement and not just the courts.

It's not about the rifle at all for me and my wife. If her Ex would show up at our house and politely ask for it we'd hand it over, even though after I read the abandoned property laws for CO he has no legal right to it. I'm done with it, and I'm not going to allow my family to bow down to him in fear of legal or litigation issues every time he threatens it.

My wife's lawyer that handled the divorce is now retired. The lawyer we used last time for the modification of parenting time is a two hour drive away since we moved for my work after the last time we were in court. I was just more interested in figuring out what kind of legal advice we would need to seek if the ATF or other Law Enforcement agency showed up asking questions.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

What information do you want to know? My wife made it a point to not have contact with her Ex unless it is dealing with her daughter. So he only gets notified if it's a medical issue or if she's doing something special with her school, 4H, or sports in case he wants to show up. He has made it known that he'll not visit his daughter where she lives, and she will only visit him where he is stationed or at his parents homes in the Carolinas or Florida.

I've been with my wife since 2008 and she was divorced in 2006. This is the first time he's ever asked about the AR-15 rifle since I've been with her. So there is a two year gap I don't know nor do I care about.

Now there have been several times in the last eight years he's tried to stir trouble up for us. He never asks or offers a compromise, he gives us orders on what we'll do and when he expects it done regarding his daughter and other things like this rifle. However this is the first time he has ever threatened to involve any form law enforcement and not just the courts.

It's not about the rifle at all for me and my wife. If her Ex would show up at our house and politely ask for it we'd hand it over, even though after I read the abandoned property laws for CO he has no legal right to it. I'm done with it, and I'm not going to allow my family to bow down to him in fear of legal or litigation issues every time he threatens it.

My wife's lawyer that handled the divorce is now retired. The lawyer we used last time for the modification of parenting time is a two hour drive away since we moved for my work after the last time we were in court. I was just more interested in figuring out what kind of legal advice we would need to seek if the ATF or other Law Enforcement agency showed up asking questions.

None of which has any bearing on this matter...why haven't you just taken the firearm to your nearest FFL and informed the ex as to it's location?

Please don't tell me no one will handle it as we all have a mate in the trade that helps in these matters.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Only thing I see is the ex husband still has control of the ex wife.
Ex speaks, ex wife listens and gets upset.

Ex husband is shooting back for the upcoming new expense.

Sell the AR and use proceeds for the braces.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Here is a quote from the email He sent my wife:

Are you in possession of the AR15 rifle I left with you? I need to know the disposition of my rifle. I intend to notify ATF and take all legal measures to secure this weapon.

Have your wife email him back & ask for a copy of the FFL he wants you to send it to...check it out on the DOJ website.

If it's on the up and up I'd go to the NY DOJ & make sure I wasn't in violation of their state law by shipping it to the dealer....HE pays for shipping...............OR...if face to face transactions are legal in your AO, simply tell him you sold it years ago....your choice.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
You don't need a lawyer. Ignore him. Don't jump through any hoops, don't do squat. Just ignore him and move along.

Last edited by JoeBob; 06/28/16.
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (bbassi, 10gaugemag, BALLISTIK, 6mmbrfan, 907brass, Akhutr, 8 invisible), 1,277 guests, and 977 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,227
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.