Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Good point regarding Lenin and the aftermath, but frankly Germany lost that war the second the failed to take Paris and the Royal Navy strangled the country. After 1 August 1914, not a SINGLE merchant ship left or entered German ports and they were not self sufficient.

True, but if the US had been truly neutral, Britain and France would have exhausted themselves as well. They could not have kept it going for so long without US money and material.

It's interesting to speculate. Who knows what would have happened if WWI had not started in the first place. We can be reasonably certain had the US remained neutral, there would have been an Armistice, but what compromises? Alsace-Lorraine? The Balkans? And there is of course the issue of Palestine and the ME. The permutations are endless.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pugs
We complain that many blacks in America haven't gotten over slavery and moved on and yet the south continues to bitch about a poor decision on their part from 150 years ago. The south got to live with the consequences of their actions.

My family is of southern heritage(GA, SC, NC, MS, TX, AR)and came to this country in the 1680's and fought with the CSA. I understand their cause but have zero sympathy for the way they went about resolving their grievances.

Complain all you want but as screwed up as we are as a country we would be a disaster for the last 150 years as a fractionalized groups of country states.

Well said!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If kidnapping a man away from his home and family and selling him aren't sins then nothing is.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by Pugs
We complain that many blacks in America haven't gotten over slavery and moved on and yet the south continues to bitch about a poor decision on their part from 150 years ago. The south got to live with the consequences of their actions.

Agreed.
The descendants of slaves are supposed to just 'get over it' and get on with life, but it's OK for the descendants of Confederates to be bitter and butt hurt till the end of time.

If me and my ancestors for the last 150 years had been pandered to and handed as much free schitt as slaves and their descendants have, I wouldn't be butt hurt about anything......and they're still whining en masse in a pitch so high that, with any luck, soon only dogs will be able to hear it.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by moosemike
If kidnapping a man away from his home and family and selling him aren't sins then nothing is.

So all the Confederates did this?

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by MagMarc

The Arabs did most of the kidnapping and selling....why the indigenous peoples of Africa refused to fight against their would-be captors is beyond me. They basically allowed themselves to be enslaved...which is in line with the history of the world.

Some tribes were noticeably absent...you didn't see a Masai or Nandi enslaved....that would have resulted in Arab Kabob on their spears...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
If me and my ancestors for the last 150 years had been pandered to and handed as much free schitt as slaves and their descendants have, I wouldn't be butt hurt about anything......
You'd like to think you wouldn't be, based on the work ethic and values you now hold, but being handed free chit and pandered to robs people of that ethic and values. That was the democrats choice and it's served them well, as it's gutted America.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
There was no crime, slavery was legal.

Abortion is legal too. Does that mean it's OK...?

THIS!

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by ingwe

The Arabs did most of the kidnapping and selling....why the indigenous peoples of Africa refused to fight against their would-be captors is beyond me. They basically allowed themselves to be enslaved...which is in line with the history of the world.

Some tribes were noticeably absent...you didn't see a Masai or Nandi enslaved....that would have resulted in Arab Kabob on their spears...

Thank You. The truth of how slavery came about is lost on most Yankees.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
why the indigenous peoples of Africa refused to fight against their would-be captors is beyond me.
Their captors had guns.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by RickyD
why the indigenous peoples of Africa refused to fight against their would-be captors is beyond me.
Their captors had guns.

The Africans were a superior civilization, ax any black activist or the current president.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm almost tired of hearing the broad brush of slavery painted on every Confederate soldier.

Was freeing the slaves Lincoln's only reason for invading the south?

Was freeing the slaves the reason southern homes burned?

There's always - ALWAYS - more to the story, and the truth lies somewhere other than the story line.

And I'm afraid I can't accept that the whole country would have been worse off separated as I can that we are better off, right now, united.

Anyway, another academic discussion...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe

Thank You. The truth of how slavery came about is lost on most Yankees.

The buyers are complicit and as guilty as the sellers. Any court of law shows this to be the case.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Good point regarding Lenin and the aftermath, but frankly Germany lost that war the second the failed to take Paris and the Royal Navy strangled the country. After 1 August 1914, not a SINGLE merchant ship left or entered German ports and they were not self sufficient.

True, but if the US had been truly neutral, Britain and France would have exhausted themselves as well. They could not have kept it going for so long without US money and material.

It's interesting to speculate. Who knows what would have happened if WWI had not started in the first place. We can be reasonably certain had the US remained neutral, there would have been an Armistice, but what compromises? Alsace-Lorraine? The Balkans? And there is of course the issue of Palestine and the ME. The permutations are endless.

It was an incredibly stupid war that destroyed the old order. From it came the Soviet Union and international communism, the NAZIs and everything after. Without that war, our world would be almost unrecognizable. I'm convinced that when future historians write the history of western civilization, they'll say WWI killed it. If I had to pick a period in history that today is like, I would say we are about 550 AD in Rome. The empire actually fell 80 years before, but there was still a barbarian who styled himself as emperor. There was still a Senate. There were still occasional games in the Colisseum. No one really realized that it was already finished. It wasn't until much later that historians looked back and said "470 was the end of the empire."

And as for America involvement in that stupid war, we did nothing but prolong it and cause its effects to be worse in the end.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
There was no crime, slavery was legal.

Abortion is legal too. Does that mean it's OK...?

THIS!

Yup.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lincoln's primary reason for the war was to prevent states from leaving the U.S., ie; exerting more federal control, no states rights............how's that federal control working for you today? everybody happy?

Slavery was just lip service reason of convenience & another excuse for justifying the war because of secession.

MM

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
You are simply another northern transplant that moved south that doesn't know our history or respect our culture. You look down your nose at us while proclaiming your moral superiority and wonder why we all hate you.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You are simply another northern transplant that moved south that doesn't know our history or respect our culture. You look down your nose at us while proclaiming your moral superiority and wonder why we all hate you.

You mean this is the south? Every other person seems to be an Ohian. I was a Civil War reenactor. I might know a little about the circumstances leading up to the war.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
You're a carpetbagger.

There goes that superior attitude, can't stop yourself.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Lincoln's primary reason for the war was to prevent states from leaving the U.S., ie; exerting more federal control, no states rights............how's that federal control working for you today? everybody happy?

Slavery was just lip service reason of convenience & another excuse for justifying the war because of secession.

MM

Yep.

As has been said time and again, secession was a right reserved BY the states in their votes to joint the US and reserved TO the states by the Constitution. Slavery was Constitutional, and the way to change that is via an Amendment. The actions of the Southern states were Constitutional and legal. The actions by Lincoln and the Feds were neither.

All else fails against those facts.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

468 members (21, 12344mag, 160user, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 38 invisible), 2,093 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,124
Posts18,483,796
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.