-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I got 2 voice messages yesterday from the IRS (supposedly) saying they were filing a law suit against me and gave me a number to call. Now I know that the IRS does not do calls like that, so I did not call back, but scammers must get some business or they would not call. Everybody be aware. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Looks like Lois Lerner is running things again and targeting the 'Fire.

Meanwhile, Sally Twochins filed last year, she paid $1300 in taxes and received a return for $5100.

I've never understood how that happens.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ol_mike
I got a letter from them about a month ago -they say I owe $341 from year 2000 -I asked for more information -haven't heard back from them.

So I guess they were going over my tax returns from 16 years ago and found a mistake ---yeah right .
Thieves -nothing more.

Like I told a friend -what if they did this to one million people ? That would be a good little chunk of change.

from 2000?

are you sure this isn't some kind of scam? I thought they always said you only go back 5 years.

I just can't believe the IRS has the resources to go after credit card cash back and 16 year research.

I'd google those phone numbers and addresses to make sure they were legit

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Unless there is fraud involved, 7 years is the limit.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
No, it is not a rewards card. Even if it was, those just refund a percentage of the interest you paid.

The IRS claims to have a 1099 reported. I never received one. There is no record of the CC company issuing one. I'm trying to get a letter stating that.

Regardless though, to somehow think I earn an income from having a CC is ridiculous. The worst part is I am 99% sure I'll have to pay the bill in the end. I hate the IRS.

Have them produce the 1099.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
The IRS says I owe $1200. Yeah, not a huge amount, but I sure as hell don't owe it and won't pay it without a fight.

That means you made several thousand dollars on a credit card. I'm not sure credit cards work that way.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by milespatton
I got 2 voice messages yesterday from the IRS (supposedly) saying they were filing a law suit against me and gave me a number to call. Now I know that the IRS does not do calls like that, so I did not call back, but scammers must get some business or they would not call. Everybody be aware. miles

Got the same call yesterday also. Thought the same - Scam.

GK

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
If you used an accountant to prepare your taxes, hand him/her the letter and say, "Handle this."

Thats one reason we use an accountant

Damn right men, that firm gets 2K a year so I/we don't see chit like this.mad

Trump Won!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I bet it's some sort of scam.

I got a letter from our state treasury dept a couple months ago, saying I owed several hundred dollars in state taxes from this past year.

That same week I had gotten the expected return check from the state treasury

I called a friend of mine who is an investigator for the state AG office and met with her. She made a few calls and determined that none of the numbers listed nor the po box listed belonged to the state.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
She made a few calls and determined that none of the numbers listed nor the po box listed belonged to the state.

I never use the numbers they supply on the phone. If I need to talk to someone about my CC, IRS, insurance or anything like that, I look up the number on line or in a phone book and call that number. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
getting the same calls in canuck land just hang up and smile.

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by milespatton

Those calls are 100% scams. Do not ever return a call to the remote number the scammer issues.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Kodiak Island - Good luck on that letter!

With regard to scams, the Fairfax County, Virginia Police Dept has this on their website:
http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/news2/hang-up-4-common-phone-scams/

Hang Up! 4 Common Phone Scams

Scams stink. Scams peddle fear in return for money. Don’t fall victim to these four common phone scams, which are happening in our community:

Sheriff’s Warrant for Your Arrest Scam

Have you received a phone call from the “Fairfax County Sheriff’s Office” saying that you have a warrant out for your arrest? Recently, scammers are claiming you have failed to appear for a court case and a warrant is outstanding. These scammers, falsely claiming to be deputies, are requesting credit card information for court costs and providing a “new” court date to the victim.

IRS Scam

Callers claim they are from the IRS, a government agency or a law firm and you owe money. If you do not pay immediately, they threaten the police will show up at your door and arrest you. This is simply not true.

Family Member Critical Emergency Scam

Callers generally claim they are your teenaged/young adult-aged family member (grandson/daughter, nephew/niece). They tell you they’ve been arrested, are in jail and need money, either for bond or court fees. They will ask you to wire money to a non-existent attorney or bondsman, or possibly to a friend who will pay the alleged fines so they can be released.**The scammer could know your name, your family member’s name, nicknames commonly used between you and other accurate details about you and your family (i.e. actual college they attend, state in which the real family is located, etc.)**

Child Abduction Scam

Police from around the region report a relatively new child abduction scam when a parent/guardian gets a phone call during a school day and they hear a child crying or a child stating they have been kidnapped. Then, a stranger gets on the phone and tells the parent their child has been abducted and demands ransom for the child’s return. The scammer tells the victim to wire the money to a specific location.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by chuck_tree
Kodiak Island - Good luck on that letter!

Thanks I'll need it.

Unfortunately, this is the real deal. Common sense does not apply. Of course you can't earn an income from a CC, but I doubt the IRS will care. It's much harder to prove you didn't get something than it is to prove you did. The thing about the IRS is you are guilty until proven innocent. Due process is the letter informing you of your guilt and allowing you to reply back with a check.

Thankfully my attorney works for free.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Back in the mid-90's we had a legit - and I use that term loosely - IRS agent inform us that we didn't know our children's names (didn't match their records - and the kids were in Jr High already), so we had to re-file our forms with the names on record.... I can only figure that she thought that since we were living at the end of the world (Barrow) at the time, we were stupid. Or something.

- Pause -

Wife said, "Let me speak to your supervisor!" (We had initiated the call after paper notification). You probably have to know my wife, but it was resolved in less than 5 minutes. On the phone!

A friend of ours went to work for IRS. White male - he had to score in the 99th percentile to get the job. Same day he started, a black lady started at the desk next to him. Very nice woman, he said. After a couple weeks, she would gather her purse and stuff up and leave at noon. He asked her about this.

"Oh, I have to go home to study so I can pass the test"....

Last edited by las; 07/03/16.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
If you used an accountant to prepare your taxes, hand him/her the letter and say, "Handle this."

We got a letter from the IRS about 10 days ago concerning disbursements from our HSAs (in 2014) as "income" and telling us we owed taxes plus penalty. Called our CPA and she said she would handle it.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
No 1099 To bad for IRS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by savage62
No 1099 To bad for IRS

Wrong.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Happy July 4th weekend! I get a fat envelope from the IRS today. Seems they want me to pay back taxes and penalties from unreported income in 2014. The income they reference: money I earned from my credit card. Yep, that's right, some how I figured out how to MAKE money with a credit card.

I know I'm screwed because the IRS has already determined I'm guilty and accessed a fine on top of what they say I owe. If I'm lucky I can get a letter from my CC company saying they did not pay me any income by having and using the card, but I'm not sure I'll be able to get anything from them in writing because the idea is so absurd.

I'll fight it, but in the end they can take it out of any refund I have coming in the future, plus more penalties and interest.

Anyway, happy 4th of July. the anniversary of when we gained freedom from such unfair taxation.

Are you even sure the letter is from the IRS? It has scam written all over it because the IRS doesn't consider cashback on credit cards as income. The IRS considers it as a "discount" on your purchases. Discounts are not taxable income.

Now "sign up rewards" can generate a 1099-MISC.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
off topic a hair, but it applies...

[Linked Image]

whistle

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 1234, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 59 invisible), 2,281 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,389
Posts18,488,664
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.