Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
I'm pretty easy about pit bulls and that ilk. They visit my property, they die.

My inflexible attitude stems from having been taken down at age 4 by a doberman which attacked without provocation. A good brother and a handy piece of 1-1/2" galvanized pipe kept me alive.

And then there's the S-I-L's second husband who was mauled by a pair of pits owned by a neighbor. This was after knowing the dogs for several years w/o issues, and one day out of the blue they climbed the fence and took him down. 3 surgeries later they had his face back in place and about 75% functional. Cute little dogs saw me about a half hour later and were all warm and wagging their little butts. They even wiggled a little after a dose of buckshot each.

No chitt, you got one of those beasts and want to get rid of it, bring it by someday. Rotties too, I don't discriminate much.

I look for excuses to whack those bastards too.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The one statistic I'd like to see would be what % of the vicious attacks were from unaltered males. Guessing it's a very high percentage.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Did not look like the tazer did a thing... yet studies with brown bears showed them at 100% effective on big bears...

Huh? You've seen results of a study showing the effect of tasers on big bears? That's kind of hard to believe. Could you post a link to that?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by McInnis
Did not look like the tazer did a thing... yet studies with brown bears showed them at 100% effective on big bears...

Huh? You've seen results of a study showing the effect of tasers on big bears? That's kind of hard to believe. Could you post a link to that?

I linked it earlier in this thread, but here is the link. I also bumped it up in the AK forum the other day, if you want to just click instead of C&P.

Here is the link to my thread from Feb of this year.
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads..._A#Post10924746

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It is still on the first page on the AK Forum threads.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Pits are the "assault rifle" of canines.

So lets throw in some other "statistics".. Say, pit attacks per numbers out there, correlated with other large breeds. Psych profiles of owners. Reason for owning. Prior ownership of dogs. Dog training experience? Main source of income (drugs)?

I will give you that if a pit latches on you, you are in serious chit! I'd not go looking for one, any more than I would an "assault rifle" - but if one should come my way...

We kept a half-lab/pit one time for about 6 weeks until we could find an acceptable owner. He was under a year old. When Tripper Lab (about 5 at the time) pushed him too far one day, Trip was backed across the room a half inch in front of about 8 inches of ivory teeth....

My wife wanted to give Trip away and keep the pup... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Here are the thoughts on the breed from a recognized expert, in case anyone's interested.

Definitely not interested.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I had 2 male pit puppies show up on my farm several years back, cute, maybe 9 month old, baby teeth gone, 35# each I would guess, friendly fun little critters. I hadn't decided what to do about them- humane society, looks for friends who might want them etc... They were nice so I figured I would try to help them.

So, walking across the field with my little (4 year old) girl one day, these little dogs join in. They are playful and cute, and they start frolic with my daughter. At first she likes it and is giggling, but then they intensify, they start to pull on her clothes in different directions and she right away calls for help and starts to cry. This triggers something and their yips turn to little puppy snarls and they and now using their weight, trying to take her down.

This whole progression only took a couple of moments. I was just paces away and it was easy to diffuse with only a couple of swats, but had I not been there I think it might have gone badly. An hour later they found their new forever home in the ravine. They are still there, my daughter is now 21.

That wasn't badly trained or misguided dogs or bad owners. That was just a highly developed killer instinct. I have one word for pitbulls that show up on my farm unattended- ravine.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Come on guys, pits aren't born vicious. They simply choose to be that way.

Just like the gays.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by justin10mm
Come on guys, pits aren't born vicious. They simply choose to be that way.

Just like the gays.

With all due respect Justin, they are chewing people to death not f cking them.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Keeping a dangerous, aggressive dog around, regardless of breed, is akin to pulling a pin on a grenade and putting it in a Mason jar. Sooner or later, something's gonna happen. Lots of breeds tend to produce nippers and biters; Springer Spaniels are one I've had experience with. Pits, Rots, Danes, etc, are just equipped better to deliver mayhem when they go off. Only a tiny percentage of the owners of these dogs are capable of training and managing them.

I can load a revolver and put it on a coffee table where it can sit for a thousand years without deciding to get up and kill someone. Dogs, on the other hand, have a mind and will of their own and can and do decide to attack for no good reason. Protection from dogs is about fifty percent of the reason I carry, everywhere and every day.

What fresh Hell is this?
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
I'm pretty easy about pit bulls and that ilk. They visit my property, they die.

Same here. My personal experiences are what I base my behavior on.

Pit & pit mixes die RFN if they show up on our place. No exceptions, no wasted tears. Leave the carcasses for the coyotes and buzzards.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Keeping a dangerous, aggressive dog around, regardless of breed, is akin to pulling a pin on a grenade and putting it in a Mason jar. Sooner or later, something's gonna happen. Lots of breeds tend to produce nippers and biters; Springer Spaniels are one I've had experience with. Pits, Rots, Danes, etc, are just equipped better to deliver mayhem when they go off. Only a tiny percentage of the owners of these dogs are capable of training and managing them.
I find nothing in that statement with which to disagree.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (358wsm, 300_savage, 358WCF, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 11 invisible), 1,202 guests, and 806 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,216
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.