Hop To
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Bob,

The ONLY hunters I've known who've had minor difficulties with running a "long" bolt action have been severely height challenged. One in particular was a woman who claimed to be 5 feet tall, but I believe was actually 4' 11". She had to use a shorter length of pull, and a long bolt came back so far that she had to pull her head off the stock to get out of its way. Because her arms were proportionately short, she had a much easier time handling rifles with barrels no longer than 20". Both of which were major reasons why her favorite rifle was a Remington Model 7 in 7mm-08. But I know several women around the average American woman's height of 5' 4" who can easily run a full-length bolt while keeping their face firmly on the stock, even if they do use a slightly shorter LOP that the standard 13-1/2".

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Poconojack,

"The M24 weighs 1/2 lb. more than the M20...."

Really?

The model number of NULA actions is their weight. Do the math: A Model 24 weighs 1/4 pound more than a Model 20, when fitted with the same contour barrel.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
John, just a guess, but is there a weight difference between the 24 and 20 stocks? Another 4 oz there would make up the rest of the half pound.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Jordan,

No, there's not. The M24 action is only 3/8" longer than the M20, and the part of the stock that's lengthened is through the magazine area--where there's slightly more "cut-out" for the longer magazine.

I've weighed a bunch of Model 20, 24 and 28 NULA stocks, and they vary more due to the fact that they're individually made than the action length. And that's rarely more than an ounce or two--which can be due to the particular paint used.

John Steinbeck
K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by Kaleb
Can't see the long action on a well thought out light deer rifle......

What a joke..... Please do tell what is inherently superior about a short action?

He's probably not kidding. Stick is so short that he has problems running a long action too. Must paddle in the same boat with the poor short bastid... You know those munchkins have to stick together.....

Read what was said you stupid old bastsrds. I said a well thought out..so tell me why you'd choose a long action while dreaming all this chit up for a light deer rifle. No reason to don't need to. Now I never said better you made that chit up idiot.

I'm not even responding to the bitch that turns everything into something about stick. Screw stick who why bring him up?...lol

IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Poconojack,

"The M24 weighs 1/2 lb. more than the M20...."

Really?

The model number of NULA actions is their weight. Do the math: A Model 24 weighs 1/4 pound more than a Model 20, when fitted with the same contour barrel.

John,
Right off the website, unless the 5.5 lb listed weight for the M24 is 5lb. 5 oz.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Tanner
Man, you guys sure get worked up over a couple inches in action length... If we start talking about backpack size, is somebody going to put a hit out on me...?

Not sure they'd put a hit out on you, but you might cause a few to have a stroke cause they've never had a need/want for the same backpack.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Only reason I mentioned action length is the guy is thinking of ordering a new light deer rifle. He said that not me so I can't see a advantage for a long action....for the op and what the op said he wanted. My light rifle is a long action but I didn't order it from NULA either. Long action isn't a big deal but sure can't see it being an advantage for the purpose this whole thread was started about.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Poconojack,

Yeah, I've seen that number, but have weighed a bunch of NULA rifles and haven't seen that difference, and suspect the listed Model 20 weight is from one of Melvin's early .284's, perhaps the first very first one.

Once owned a M20 in 7x57 with a 22" #1 which with a 7.5 ounce 4x28 Leupold Compact weighed 5 pounds 10 ounces. My wife had a M24 .270 Winchester with a 22" #1 that weighed 6 pounds on the nose with a 11.5-ounce Bausch & Lomb Compact 2-8x. The barrels would weigh just about exactly the same, due to the similar calibers. Subtract the difference in the scope weights and the difference in the rifles themselves was only two ounces.

My present M24 .30-06 with a 24" #2 barrel also weighs 6 pounds on the nose with a 6x33 Leupold weighing 8.5 ounces. My wife has a Model 20 .257 Roberts with a 24" #2 barrel that weighs 6 pounds 10 ounces with a 12.5-ounce 3.5-10x40 Leupold VX-3. The VX-3 weighs 4 ounces more than the 6x33. Subtract that from the .257 and it still weighs 4 ounces more than the .30-06. Half of that is the approximate 2 ounces of difference between the .25 and .30 caliber barrels, but the fact is that Eileen's .257 Model 20 actually weighs a little MORE than my Model 24 .30-06.

I could provide other examples from actually weighing a bunch of NULA's, but the truth is a Model 20 does NOT weigh half a pound less than a Model 24, and sometimes doesn't weigh any less. The scope mounts on all those rifles, by the way, are the standard NULA rings.

John Steinbeck
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

What a joke..... Please do tell what is inherently superior about a short action?

He's probably not kidding. Stick is so short that he has problems running a long action too. Must paddle in the same boat with the poor short bastid... You know those munchkins have to stick together.....

Read what was said you stupid old bastsrds. I said a well thought out..so tell me why you'd choose a long action while dreaming all this chit up for a light deer rifle. No reason to don't need to. Now I never said better you made that chit up idiot.

I'm not even responding to the bitch that turns everything into something about stick. Screw stick who why bring him up?...lol

Whatsamatter Cupcake?

You want to be the self anointed expert on what constitutes a well thought out deer rifle and tell the world it has to have a short action, which by implication means that any deer rifle with a "long" action is not "well thought out".

What a stupid thing to say.

So you get called on it and your panties get bunched. Poor baby. frown

Watch who you call a stupid old bastard you ignorant, young ,impudent dick head. I bet that super duper short action POS you hunt with didn't go a mile from the truck last year.....you kill any deer that dressed over 75 pounds?

BSA and I will hunt your ass into the ground if you're not careful LOL..... grin

What a tool. smirk

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B3

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Holy sh it, we've gone from beat downs to hunt downs.

This place is the best entertainment EVER!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Can't see the long action on a well thought out light deer rifle. Would also toss the 708 or one of the 6.5's in the running for a almost exclusive as you say deer rifle.

Curious I am. How many Nula's have you handled or shot?

laissez les bons temps rouler
K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Lol....a man asked about ordering a NULA to hunt deer. I don't see an advantage for a long action for a light weight deer rifle. I never said a long action is a poor choice as I have light weight long action rifles. If starting from scratch which he is I see no advantage in using a long action to build a light weight deer rifle.

I'm sorry action length means so much to you fellas. Try sex horseback riding fishing or having friends outside of the Internet?

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by battue
Can't see the long action on a well thought out light deer rifle. Would also toss the 708 or one of the 6.5's in the running for a almost exclusive as you say deer rifle.

Curious I am. How many Nula's have you handled or shot?

I guess about a half dozen or so. Never fired one. I'm curious as to why you feel a long action would be better? I doubt Melvin would suggest a long action for this application either. I know he told me he built his daughter in law a 260 for Africa.

For the life of me I can't figure out how me thinking a short action for a ligh weight deer rifle is a better choice than long upset so many....lol.

So to all you with sand in your vaginas.....why would you choose a long action since you feel the short is such a silly choice?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You never fired or hunted with one, yet the subject is Nula Rifles and I seem to remember the OP asking for opinions by those who have actually used them. So, not sure WTH your opinion is worth.

I've been around a few, shot them and carry them hunting on a frequent basis.Mine are short actions, however if you re-read M.D. comments, and he has been around them more than a little....

I could provide other examples from actually weighing a bunch of NULA's, but the truth is a Model 20 does NOT weigh half a pound less than a Model 24, and sometimes doesn't weigh any less. The scope mounts on all those rifles, by the way, are the standard NULA rings.

....when it comes to weight there is an insignificant difference between the short and long when it comes to Nula's. In which case there is a point to be made for going with long. The reason if I was getting another, I would perhaps give additional thought to the long.

Last edited by battue; 07/04/16.

laissez les bons temps rouler
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Nice move, Kaleb. First you strongly imply anybody who choose anything except a short action for a deer rifle is semi-stupid, then you claim they're the ones obsessed with action length.

John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

Please do tell me what is inherently superior about a long action?

Unless of course it's a 10 pound pre-64 in 243, that one is skookum.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
I still don't understand how I'm such a bad guy for recommending a short action for the op's new deer rifle? I get it that the way I worded things I hurt feelings. I'm sorry.

All this was started because I recommended a short action rather than a long action for a new light weight deer rifle. I could have and should have been more polite(sorry again) but I still don't think I'm wrong about the actions.

Heck I think one in a 270 would be great but I don't think it would be better than a 243,250,260,any creed,the x47's,708,308. Big difference in what I said and the way it all unfolded.

So I've answered all the questions the best I can about why I said short is a better choice. Now why would the long action be a better choice?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Now why would the long action be a better choice?

Because it accommodates the 270 WCF..

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Nice move, Kaleb. First you strongly imply anybody who choose anything except a short action for a deer rifle is semi-stupid, then you claim they're the ones obsessed with action length.

You're awful quick to put words in someone's mouth aren't you? You really took what I typed the wrong way. When I said well thought out I meant spending time thinking or dreaming this hypothetical rifle up. If you were dreamin up a deer rifle build would you use a long action over a short?

I never meant to imply a long action deer rifle was not well thought out. I have them myself. If starting from scratch and thinking it out I don't see any advantage to using a long.

Seems everyone that got hurt feelings needs to keep in mind things typed can be took the wrong way. I've apologized for the last time about this. I'm sorry my statement was took the wrong way by some but I still don't see how it turned into such drama.

Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

508 members (219 Wasp, 219DW, 2500HD, 1badf350, 1936M71, 222Sako, 57 invisible), 2,458 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,441
Posts18,489,474
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.