Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Looking at getting a used full size 4x4 quad cab or extended cab truck in the near future. This is not going to be a daily driver but will need to tow boats up to 5k lb, trailers, etc and be reliable enough to travel up to 6 hours away hunting.

Looking at 2000 and up models. What's the best bang for the buck in a used truck like I'm looking for? Any makes/models to avoid? Not a Ford fan but I could get used to one for the right price.

Last edited by UNCCGrad; 07/04/16.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's going to almost totally depend on how well it was maintained in that price range.

From experience, I'll tell you that the first series of Chev HD's (2001 in my case) had defective transfer cases. That was the only real trouble I had with mine, aside from 4 or 5 fuel pumps. The first 4 lasted about 80k miles, the fifth one is still going as far as I know at around 150k.

Anything with a Ford 5.4 you'll want to make sure it's not in need of spark plugs or there is any check engine light/trouble codes that indicates timing/cam phaser issues. The plug change on those motors can go from $500-1000 pretty easily.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Having owned Yukon, Suburban, Explorer, F-250 and Land Cruiser 4x4's, I love my 2000 Tundra.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Had a2003 GMC z71 I bought new. Put 225k on it. Two catalytic converters on one side, one on the ither, and a weeping water pump. We're my only non routine repairs in 10 years. Regret selling it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Had a2003 GMC z71 I bought new. Put 225k on it. Two catalytic converters on one side, one on the ither, and a weeping water pump. We're my only non routine repairs in 10 years. Regret selling it.
Was at Pitt Walmart yesterday and saw an X cab Ram 4x4 for $3500. Looked like a straight body. No idea of the miles or year but it looked good.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The mid-2000s F150s are among the most comfortable ride of any pickup I've ever owned or driven. Fairly damned reliable, too. The Toyota Tundra would be the first I'd look for, though, if it's a comfortable ride for you. Great trucks.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by UNCCGrad
Looking at getting a used full size 4x4 quad cab or extended cab truck in the near future. This is not going to be a daily driver but will need to tow boats up to 5k lb, trailers, etc and be reliable enough to travel up to 6 hours away hunting.

Looking at 2000 and up models. What's the best bang for the buck in a used truck like I'm looking for? Any makes/models to avoid? Not a Ford fan but I could get used to one for the right price.

UNCCGrad, it seems they all have their flaws and lemons get out with every brand. I'm not loyal to any specific company because of this. As of the last 7 years, I've been driving chevy/GMC's. My 2004 GMC sierra has needed:

1. Transmission at 111,000 miles
2. Front differential and other front end parts rebuilt.
3. Transfer case at 130,000 miles.
4. New G80 locker and rear end rebuilt at 130,000 miles.

I love the truck, but hate all the computer controlled mumbo jumbo associated with it. The 4x4 system has a lot of electronically controlled items that can have issues:

Shift encoder motor, 4x4 switch, front actuators, etc. etc.... The transmissions are weak and should be upgraded, however the same has been said about the Dodge automatic trannys and I've also had the ford AOD and E40D's rebuilt a time or 2... Pick your poison, it's hard to know which one is "the best". I know one thing, Toyota makes the best/toughest/most reliable midsized pickup..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My '07 F-150 4x4 Screw 5.4 Triton has treated me well. It currently has 186,000 miles on it and is going strong.
Any truck in the age group you listed would serve you well if proper maintenance has been followed. I think that is the key more so than brand.

I don't eat anything that didn't have a mother.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by kciH

Anything with a Ford 5.4 you'll want to make sure it's not in need of spark plugs or there is any check engine light/trouble codes that indicates timing/cam phaser issues. The plug change on those motors can go from $500-1000 pretty easily.

They were terrible and many started having coils go bad by 50k, Ford claimed the spark plugs had excessive plug gap causing the coil to blow. Only fix was new plugs, coils and coil boots costing $700-$1100.

Ted
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by old_willys

They were terrible and many started having coils go bad by 50k, Ford claimed the spark plugs had excessive plug gap causing the coil to blow. Only fix was new plugs, coils and coil boots costing $700-$1100.

This is why I did my spark plugs myself.
Phone calls to 3 dealers netted 3 quotes:
$143.00 labor, $30.00 for each broken plug, $28.00 for each plug. Plus tax.
$195.00 labor, $150.00 for each broken plug, $25.89 for each plug. Plus tax.
$525.00 for parts, labor, and tax out the door plus $50.00 for each broken plug.
My plugs were $9.00 from Rockauto, the socket/extension combo (not necessary, but darn handy) was $25.00 locally. I bought the Lisle 65600 separated plug tool just in case I needed it. I did not so returned it for a full refund. After the first change following the Ford TSB, subsequent plug changes are simple with no need for the lisle tool.

IC B3

U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
I'm on the fence on paying cash up to 7k or putting 5k down and take a small loan on the rest and get a little nicer truck. The wife and I are about to start building a house so I'm reluctant to let go of so much cash. My 98 Cherokee is to the point where I'm not going to dump any money in it. It needs a head at a minimum and possible a new motor. The lack of bed and towing capacity is the nail in the coffin for it.

A local guy has a 03 Ram Quad cab with the 4.7, has 200k on it and looks to be in really good condition. I had a Dakota with the 4.7 and liked it, and a 07 Ram with the Hemi which was a good truck, but I'm not sure about the long term durability of the 4.7. Seems it may be underpowered in a full size too. He's asking 7800 but I'd not pay more than 6500, and even that may be too high for that particular truck.

I've been leaning towards the 00-05 Chevy/GMS. Seems to be more of them out there

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have owned a F150, a Tundra and currently drive a Tacoma...my vote is get the best Toyota you can afford...

Cheers/bg

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have no personal experience but have heard the 4.7 is to be avoided. Hopefully more experienced folks will chime in.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
luck of the draw when buying anything that old in any brand. thats getting to the amount of miles that everything can be worn out.if you are looking at loaded trucks for 10,000.00 you can buy a work truck basic truck for a lot less money. i bought a stripped model gmc full size regular cab in 2009 .it was a 2007 with only 13,000miles. i bought it from a chevy dealer for 13,000.00 recertified with 100,000 mile drivetrain warranty.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by old_willys

I just kept extra coils and a 7mm socket in my truck they went out so frequently

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm on the fence on paying cash up to 7k or putting 5k down and take a small loan on the rest and get a little nicer truck. The wife and I are about to start building a house so I'm reluctant to let go of so much cash. My 98 Cherokee is to the point where I'm not going to dump any money in it. It needs a head at a minimum and possible a new motor. The lack of bed and towing capacity is the nail in the coffin for it.

A local guy has a 03 Ram Quad cab with the 4.7, has 200k on it and looks to be in really good condition. I had a Dakota with the 4.7 and liked it, and a 07 Ram with the Hemi which was a good truck, but I'm not sure about the long term durability of the 4.7. Seems it may be underpowered in a full size too. He's asking 7800 but I'd not pay more than 6500, and even that may be too high for that particular truck.

I've been leaning towards the 00-05 Chevy/GMS. Seems to be more of them out there

IMO, the 4.7 doesn't belong in a full size truck. I had an '02, first year 3rd gen Ram with that engine. No problems, but very underpowered and thirsty. 14mpg city and 17 hwy. Would have been easier to swallow if it was able to pull a greased string out of a wildcat's ass.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by badger

IMO, the 4.7 doesn't belong in a full size truck. I had an '02, first year 3rd gen Ram with that engine. No problems, but very underpowered and thirsty. 14mpg city and 17 hwy. Would have been easier to swallow if it was able to pull a greased string out of a wildcat's ass.

+1
Have 297k+ miles on my 04 Dakota's 4.7 and it has been very dependable BUT would want more power in a full size.

Last edited by old_willys; 07/04/16.

Ted
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by badger

Ahh, the old greasy string from a wildcats ass .. the true test right there.

smile

G

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I am a pretty big fan of the 97-03 F150s, especially the 01-03 Supercrews. The 5.4 is bulletproof if maintained properly, and the rest of the drivetrain is great. The cab, especially in the crew cabs, is very roomy.

They have reached the age where parts are plentiful and cheap, and the trucks themselves are still available with relatively low mileage for a reasonable cost. They are just modern enough to be comfortable for every day use, but simple enough to maintain on my own.

My current 2002 Supercrew is by far the best truck I have ever owned, and plan to hang onto it as long as I possibly can.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kecatt
I have no personal experience but have heard the 4.7 is to be avoided. Hopefully more experienced folks will chime in.

The 4.7 is known for blowing head gaskets, mine did twice in 158,000 miles.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

402 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 19rabbit52, 1lesfox, 10gaugeman, 47 invisible), 3,389 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,638
Posts18,533,576
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.