-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Need a good Salmon Pattie recipe, plenty of onions, about 1/2" thick 3-4" diameter, used to carry a bunch hunting but mom passed away last year and recipe with her. I try but not the same. Boggy, what you got.--- Some of you salmon fishermen should have some good recipes. -- no

A hint to the wise is sufficient! Experience is the best teacher!
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
NO you askin Boggy for salmon recipies is like me askin Stick for recipies for Rocky mtn oysters...it aint done.
<br>
<br>Here are a couple recipies for salmon patties...used this one this afternoon
<br>
<br>4 cups more or less of flaked and ground salmon mix.
<br>1 egg, I really like duck eggs when I can get them
<br>1 cup of dried bread crumbs, sour dough is my favorite
<br>1 small onion. any kind will do but the red ones are best
<br>salt and pepper and any thing else, for me just s&p
<br>
<br>flake off 2 cups more or less of baked salmon set aside, grind equal amount of salmon mix with bread crumbs, egg, onion, mix thourghly, now mix in flaked gently trying to not mush it up. The flakes give body and texture to your pattie. now place in hot pan with oil of choise, i prefer Canola or Olive. Fry fast to brown then place in oven to warm all the way through. Onion should be soft. You can precook onion if you like your onion done or eat semi cooked as patties come from pan or finish off in oven. Mine usually get done in the oven as I have other things to fix while waiting for patties, Seems I always cook for several folks at a time.
<br>Serve on toasted sourdough slices with a good tarter sause and a cold beverage of choise.
<br>
<br>The second recipie is similar to the first except all fish is ground fresh, not baked and mashed potatoes replace the bread, never use the boxed kind, you can also add small amounts of whole milk, This is an old reciepe from Alaska I prefer the first one. But this is not that bad just little on the mushy side for my tastes. You can also use white fish in the first reciepe I wouldn't care for it done the second way unless the fish were baked first and it was either Ling or halibut.
<br>
<br>Bullwnkl.

Money talks Bull [bleep] walks
Business as usual
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N O, Bullwnkl's recipes are too good to need or to lend themselves to easy improvement, but variety is as much fun with salmon patties as with any other variable dish. If I could swallow, I'd be making mine with occasional trial substitutions for the bread crumbs, which are basically just a filler or extender anyway -- crumbed cheese crackers (my mother crushed soda crackers), crushed potato or tortilla chips, powdered sunflower seeds, powdered GrapeNuts, for example -- and or occasionally with tasty, complimentary additives such as crumbled bacon or hard cheese (and ALWAYS enough chopped onion to let you know they're there!). I envy you the ability to enjoy 'em. I'd also like to try making some with jalape�os. My mother never heard of jalape�os, and my wife (Swedish) preferred most of her ancestrally familiar foods bland enough that some struck me as downright tasteless. I bet Tabasco's new chipotl� (smoked jalape�o) sauce would make 'em special.
<br>
<br>Ahhhh, the wonderful opportunities that can be yours simply because you can swallow real food! Whatever variations you try, enjoy 'em enough for both of us!

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bow to the masters. Just use plenty of fine chopped onion. I use an egg to make it all stick together and have used corn flakes for the bread crumbs.
<br>
<br>BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
You can find some of that boxed Zatarins (sp) stuff at the store that is very good, add some onion if you want. Simple and easy, if your short of salmon, Starkiss makes some good stuff in a foil packet (next to the tuna fish) keeps forever. I've used it in camps all over the country with great results. Enjoy
<br>
<br>Spaulding

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I make mine pretty much like the master, but like to substitute crushed Ritz crackers for the bread crumbs.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
YUCK!!!
<br>
<br>Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Many thanks to you guys for the help. As I set here, no breakfast and too early for lunch, my saliva glands are working overtime. Got to make the trip to Dallas this morning but will work on that salmon when I get home. Ken, the jalapenos sound great and I would never have thought of it. It will be in the first batch I promice. Bullwinkle, everyone looks to you for the cooking, you caused me to put on four pounds when you started talking all that seafood up where you live. I would love a good seafood gumbo with lots of okra and tomatoes but no one down here ever makes it and I am too dumb. A good oyster stew on these cool evenings would be great. That does it, I have got to get out of here NOW. Thanks to all. -- no

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Well, I don't fish for salmon however my landlady likes to bring me tons of canned foods, including a boxer's weight in canned salmon. Actually quite good for canned. Anyway, salmon patties my way are very simple. I don't care for onions myself so my "recipie" contains none.
<br>-1 can (15oz.) salmon
<br>-6 to 8 slices of bread, toasted and broken up into small bits.
<br>-1 tbsp. Old Bay (crab seasoning) or Lawry's season salt
<br>-1 small egg (optional)
<br>Mix together, if too wet add more bread. Fry in shallow oil in cast iron skillet, turn3 times. (cook twice on each side)
<br>Very simple and quite good for me. Not the same without Old Bay, though. Anyone from the northern regions feeling a lack of Old Bay and can't find it in your area can contact me...I'm marketing it, direct shipment from the eastern shore of maryland!! lol Stephanie [Linked Image]

I may be little but this miss knows her deer!
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Bamby you little rascal, what do you know about salmon except it's fish in armor? You don't post enough to know where you are. When will you be back in Arkansas? Bring me a bottle and I will come get it, even pay for it. How does the AF get along without you on duty? -- no

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
NO, seafood gumbo might be a delight to many but my one lone contact with okra was not a good experiance, The food in question ranks right up there with mystery meat. The green things, Iwas told they were vegetables, looked a lot like withered slugs after one puts salt on the poor creatures. The taste was.... well somewheres between terrible and gawd awful. Now before you think I am some sort of food snob let me explain how I came to love oysters. at first I hated the things plain wouldn't let one pass between my lips. That was due to my mothers way of cooking them...in bread crumbs. Slime balls in crumbs. It seems I love the smell of fresh schucked oysters so I was convinced there had to be a way to make them palatable. Eureeka I found it
<br>started out with raw extra smalls a shot of tabasco and down the hatch...yummmy then sauted now I eat them any way except bredded. So NO get your self some extra large oysters...the bigger the better out of the shell place the critter in boiling water for a little bit 60 to 120 seconds par boiled let cool and drain a bit then slice up into 1/2 inch more or less size hunks toss in to a pot with milk...or if you don't mind the fat and calories half and half...kinda like heart attack in a bowl. Simmer at least 1 hour...the longer the better and add plenty fresh ground black pepper. If you are cheap and want to streach the stew you can add potatoes. Not me. Serve with the freshest oyster crackers you can lay your hands on. Hot coffee or strong black tea is a good drink with this one. Clam chowder eat your heart out.
<br>
<br>Bullwnkl.

Money talks Bull [bleep] walks
Business as usual
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
There you go again, I'm no stranger to heart attacks, got that down pretty good, had two and two quadruple by-passes so bring on the food. Wanted to stay at 180 pounds but back to 190 already, too much Texas soul food, chili, tamalies, viena sausage, cheese, you know good stuff. Tomorrow it's salmon patties for sure. Can't get good oysters here, only caned. -- no

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sonnie,
<br>
<br>The aformentioned master recipe is a good one. I like to add grated parmesian cheese, the real stuff, not the powder that comes out of the green can, adds a nice bite to the taste. You can also add mayonaise if you like the patties moister. Green onions are also good in the mix, and you could added roasted bell or jalepeno peppers, garlic, tobasco, and I'm sure I've thrown in some other stuff at times.
<br>
<br>Patties and salmon balls are a great use for left over baked/broiled/bbq'd salmon. Salmon balls are pretty much the same mix, but use cooked rice instead of bread crumbs, form into balls, cover with cream of mushroom soup, and bake @ 300 for 30 minutes.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

272 members (1minute, 264mag, 204guy, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 222ND, 28 invisible), 14,403 guests, and 1,103 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,228
Posts18,543,947
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.