Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I've been trying to get an answer for this for a while, and hope someone here can help.

I have two rifles that, when the muzzle is tipped straight up then straight down, I can hear a cartridge sliding back and forth in the magazine box. If only one cartridge is loaded, there is no movement; however, if more than one is loaded, there is fore and aft movement ending in a metallic "clink" as the cartridge impacts the side of the box. I have two other rifles of similar design, and neither of them do this. The two with the issue are a M70 and M98; the two without are a M70 and an MRC 1999. All four rifles feed flawlessly, so it's really more of an annoyance than anything else.

Any ideas for how to stop it?

Thanks.

RM

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
GB1

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I am certainly not sure But I feel the sliding brass in your magazine is related to leak spring tension. I would order another magazine spring before hunting season. Life is full of regrets why push the opportunity on letting a real dandy get away.
ABLE

I see four more years of economic stagnation and high unemployment if Obama is reelected. He lies every time he opens his mouth. "The GREAT DECEIVER"! Scary prospect.Worst president EVER.
UPS HAS ROTTEN CUSTOMER SERVICE, THIS I HAVE EXPERIENCED

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Not a smith but out of curiosity what kind of M70?

I would bet part of the problem is an ill fitting magazine box.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Featherweight. But I have a M98 that does the same thing.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
So many M98's..... smile There are different lengths of M98's,too.

And M70's. Generally Winchester stopped making boxes matched to the cartridge in 1964 and everything since has been a "one size fits all" arrangement. Take a look at Rules book on the pre 64 M70 to see what I mean.

On M70 Classics and other after 1964 they may have generic boxes to fit (say)30/06-270-7x57...mostly OK but not really perfect.

Have no idea if that's the problem but worth checking,along with spring tension of follower but have to admit I have never seen a cartridge sliding back and forth in the box like that.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Not a smith but out of curiosity what kind of M70?

I would bet part of the problem is an ill fitting magazine box.

That's what I'm thinking.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks for the replies and ideas. I'm going to take things apart this afternoon and see what I can find.

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
By the way, this clearly could have been "user error" as well. I didn't notice any movement when I first bought the rifle - it may have been there but I didn't notice it - but certainly did notice it when I reassembled after the rifle and I received a thorough drenching a several months ago.

So here's the question: Is there a preferred way to put the magazine box back in once the action is place? Drop it in then screw on the bottom metal? Or press the box into the action first, then put the entire thing in the stock and screw on the bottom metal?

I guess I've never really given that any thought before.

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
So here's what's happening. I loaded three cartridges in the magazine, seating them firmly to the back, and closed the bolt on an empty chamber. I tipped the muzzle forward, then slowly opened the bolt. The cartridge resting on the left side of the follower (with the muzzle facing away), which would have been the second from the very bottom of the magazine, had slid forward to the front of the magazine box. I cycled the action to eject a cartridge and once again closed the bolt on an empty chamber, leaving two cartridges in the magazine. I tipped the muzzle down then again slowly opened the bolt. This time it was the cartridge resting on the right side of the follower that slid forward. I assume that the friction of the bolt held the top cartridge in place each time. So, in effect, the only two cartridges sliding are the two that are resting on the follower itself. The only thing I have done to that rifle is put Dyna-Tech Gun Shield on the exposed metal. I can't imagine it has made the follower so slick that it won't grip a cartridge.

Any thoughts?

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I thought I'd read and posted on a thread similar to this. Still no resolution on that thread either. But I have an idea. I'll post if it works.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/10746790/1

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

And M70's. Generally Winchester stopped making boxes matched to the cartridge in 1964 and everything since has been a "one size fits all" arrangement. Take a look at Rules book on the pre 64 M70 to see what I mean.

On M70 Classics and other after 1964 they may have generic boxes to fit (say)30/06-270-7x57...mostly OK but not really perfect.

"One size fits all"???? My parts book lists 14 different magazine boxes for the Classic M70 - although a handful just designate between blued and SS...

IIRC, the pre-64 had a total of 8 boxes..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Are they both 7X57's? The reason I ask is because I have a Mark X Mauser that was converted to7X57 from 30.06 and it does the same thing. However, dummy 7X57 rounds loaded into my M70 270 Classic do not slide around.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Redneck

"One size fits all"???? My parts book lists 14 different magazine boxes for the Classic M70 - although a handful just designate between blued and SS...

IIRC, the pre-64 had a total of 8 boxes..

Lee I have found the pre 64 boxes work better. But I'm not a gunsmith.

In general my experience has been the pre 64 is not as prone to function issues as a Classic.

Again I am no smith but it must be the box, the follower or the spring tension that is causing the OP's problem. Neve seen a pre 64 do something like that.

Something doesn't fit right...... confused

Last edited by BobinNH; 07/13/16.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
My first item to check in the OP's issue would definitely be the mag spring.. I've seen a few so weak that it would barely lift the last round into position - but the spring had been 'modified' at some point by the (or a previous) owner..

A proper mag spring tension should alleviate his issue..

The difference between the pre-64 boxes and post is related mainly to the difference in the action feed rails between the pre and post actions.. ..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
T
tcp Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I am NOT a gunsmith, but have experienced this exact problem. When trying to get a 300 WSM to feed in a Model 70, I experimented ALOT with different follower shapes and magazine box widths.

I found that if the mag box was too roomy width wise, by having too big a window cut in it, cartridges slid around as the OP describes. Shape of the follower and magazine spring strength also contributed, as in if you put in an obnoxiously strong magazine spring it stopped the sliding - but also caused unfired rounds to auto empty from the magazine if the bolt was racked hard. FWIW the best follower shape was Winchester's original (to the WSM) aluminum follower, I tried a MRC and Ruger follower and they did not work as well.

I don't see that the OP mentioned the cartridge he is working with, but if the follower or mag box was originally meant for a cartridge with a different taper or width, the rounds bellow the top round can definitely move around.

When I initially read this, I wondered if the OP had accidentally assembled the rifle without the mag box in place- I made this mistake once and discovered it when I heard the cartridges slopping around as I carried the rifle.

Seems like the cartridge specific magazine boxes and followers ala Mauser were more than just German OCD.

Last edited by tcp; 07/14/16. Reason: spelling

If you can't be a good example, may you at least serve as a dreadful warning
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by jonz
Are they both 7X57's? The reason I ask is because I have a Mark X Mauser that was converted to7X57 from 30.06 and it does the same thing. However, dummy 7X57 rounds loaded into my M70 270 Classic do not slide around.

Yes, both 7x57. The Mauser is a Zastava (same as Mark X/Daly/etc) and the other is a M70 of new (SC) manufacture. My Montana Rifle Company ASR (7x57) doesn't do this, nor does an older M70 FWT (pushfeed). I may just put a strip of duct tape on the follower to keep the cartridges from sliding around. As I said, they all feed flawlessly; this is just more of an annoyance than anything.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I may just put a strip of duct tape on the follower to keep the cartridges from sliding around.

Don't use redneck engineering that will just create more problems.
Try adding some spacers under the spring to increase the tension.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Nah, I'm not going to Bubba it. But I'm wondering about the spacers: where would they go? Both ends of the spring slide into slots milled into the floor plate and follower.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Might try the shim on the bottom of the mag spring next to the floor plate.
Have you tried another spring in the Mauser?

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by plainsman456
Might try the shim on the bottom of the mag spring next to the floor plate.
Have you tried another spring in the Mauser?

I have not tried another Mauser spring yet as I don't use that rifle very often. The M70, though, sees the field at least once per week. How would you suggested crafting the shim? A wooden wedge? A steel wedge? Toothpicks or coins? (don't laugh, I've seen worse). I'm curious as this may be the simplist solution until I contact Numrich Arms for magazine spring replacements.

Thanks

RM

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

289 members (222ND, 160user, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 24 invisible), 1,820 guests, and 1,065 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,828
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.