Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A HAPPY CHICKENBUCK FOURTH
OF JULY
to you all!!!

Stan in SC

Last edited by Stan_in_SC; 07/03/16.

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The old Jurassic park is very violent

Hi, I'm northerndave's youngest boy.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Happy fourth everyone

Hi, I'm northerndave's youngest boy.
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
You and everyone else Joey!!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Pork ribs. There a few different cuts you can end up with. Baby backs are probably the most presentable if it's a visual thing, because they are the most semetrical with a nice little bone from one end of the rack to the other, no cross grain junk. Spare ribs can be a better value I think. Price per pound is usually better and the racks are bigger. But you have to inspect your "spare" cuts at the store, feel the package, feel for bone etc. Spares can sometimes be rib tips and kind of a belly cut. That's ok if that's what you are looking for, you can cook them the same and they taste good, it's just not as clean and predictable as a higher cut (closer to the spine).St Louis cut is usually a safe bet, it's a cleaned up spare rib rack. They trim the biscuit flap off the bottom of the cut.

Anyways, as far as cooking the ribs goes, you can do a multi step process with wrapping part way through or you can go full out chest thumping man card mode and thumb your nose at the foil.

I like to check the back side of the rack for membrane. If it hasn't been peeled by the meat cutter it will be slick and shiny. You can work a butter knife under it to loosen it, then grab with your fingers and peel it off like a big bumper sticker. I like to dry rub both sides of the rack and i start my cooking with the meat side up. I try for about 220-225 air temp in the cooker, I use charcoal. Some indirect placement or at least a good distance from the coals will help you. (This is just my opinion, I don't care for black, crispy burned food)

I add wood chips to smoke hard right away, I hit it with the smoke as soon as it goes on. My fav is s fruit wood like Apple or cherry, but hickory, alder, mesquite, what ever, it all works.

A popular process for a heavy rack is to cook)smoke at around 225f for 3 hours, then wrap in foil with 6 oz or so of apple cider added in the foil, meat side down, close the foil so you are trapping steam/moisture. 2 hours like that, same cook temp. Then you open the foil, carefully roll the rack back over meat side up and finish without foil. This is where you can brush on a sauce if you like. Cook for up to an hour like this to kind of firm the rack up a bit and caramelize the glaze (sauce) if you like.

Smaller, thinner racks will want reduced times for all of these steps. Thinner baby back racks may call for 2.5, 1 and maybe 1/2 hour.

If you don't want to mess with foil wrapping, you can shoot for 5-6 hours on the heat, bone side down and you can brush or mist with something like an apple cider mixed with vinegar to keep the meat from drying out.

You sir, are a scholar and a gentleman. Thanks for pulling me out if the fire. I did your method above and they were a great hit! My folks only have a gas grill, so I had to watch it little closer. The ribs were devoured. Unbelievably tender with a good bark. The apple juice foil step is pure gold. Your post should be a sticky in the Food Thread. Awesome! Thanks Dave!

Ribs pre-foil, smoke packets on front burner.
[Linked Image]

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Happy 4tha all!!

Camp is where you make it.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot

[Linked Image]

Those look great!

Something clever here.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice GOING CFT !!

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Sounds like a chainsaw party will be happening in the neighborhood. Some trees down. Been awhile since we've had a storm like this.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Pretty good thunder storm, with lots of small hail & high winds, here Monday evening ! Thankfully, no damage done to our property.

Here's a couple of snaps from fishing & shore lunch, over the long weekend !!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It didn't suck !

Paul.

IC B3

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
That looks a lot funner, than cutting a tree down all day that landed on my Yeti fish house. I gots 2 holes in the roof. There saying more storms later tonight. Awesome cant wait.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Duckless, yep, that sux man !

You're alive & only have some "minor" damaged stuff !

smile

Lots of storms through here, so far, this summer. Been lucky, unless you consider all the power outages !

Paul.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
noduck - Deer Riverish?

Support your local brewer.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just got back from a week up Nort'. We fished every day, ate everything in sight, swapped copious lies with the locals, and had a great time. Of course we made our annual pilgrim mage to the Log Cabin Bar in Emily on Wednesday night for some bingo with the natives. Came within 1 number on the $500.00 coverall, but no dice.

"A great time was had by all".

Saw all the usual suspects-owls, eagles, snapping turtles, deer, ducks geese, and more than a couple inebriated jack pine savages too.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Pointbock
noduck - Deer Riverish?

Nope Prior lake.

GG sounds like a very nice relaxing trip. Jealous i be.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, it's hard to come home. It's a quiet little resort in Emily. We had geese and ducks right outside the door, eagles circling, loons out on the lake. It was a nice week, great weather, and a great getaway. Hey 'Duck-don't you live over by Fish Lake? How's the fishing this year?

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
been off for a week and just now able to check in, lots to catch up on!

I see some folks are running their smokers, and I just happen to have one I bought at a garage sale a year or so ago.
neighbor has some apple wood I can have and I have a shoulder roast in the fridge ready to go. I have it in a marinade in a gallon ziploc bag with no air in it. and honestly I have no idea where to go from here.
any advice? tips or am I doing something wrong by marinading it? I have no idea.
temp, time?
my uncle smokes stuff a while then wraps it in plastic and foil to cook the rest of the way. I have no idea what to do. this one will be a learning experience so if anyone has any tips I'd sure appreciate it!

the smoker I have is one of them old green egg type lookin things from cabelas with the electric heating element.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Before putting it in smoker take meat out of fridge let it sit out for a little bit. Try to keep the cooking temps around 175- 200 degree. Real rough cook time but i think 3to4 pounds roast at those temps will take 2hours. Get a meat theramoter and it hits 140 degree foil it up like a tepee. For 5 minutes done. I just got a green mountain grill for my birthday been cooking a little bit on it. It's all new to me as well. The BBQ guru ND will chime in.

GG i can see the lake while i type this.. Bite was good this spring eyes and crappies. Have'nt heard much of lately. See people catching bass here and there.I'll keep me eyes and ears open and let you know.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
cooked at 200 degrees for about 3.5 hours. when internal temp hit 140 I put it to low and covered.

it came out awesome, mama loved it and asked when we could do the next one. it's not that tough, I still want to learn more tips and tricks. I used plum wood from some local dead plum trees. seemed to work just fine for being free

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Man, am I worn out! We had a good sized maple tree that was leaning in on the house and needed to come down. A tree crew was working across the street, and doing a good job. I had them come over and knock the maple down yesterday morning. I've been cutting it up and moving it to the roadside ever since. My heart failure is nothing to mess with, and I'm good for about 15 minutes of physical work, and then I need a break. Most of it's done, but now I'm down to the heavy lifting part of the job-the main trunk. My 16" Poulan barely reaches at the base of the trunk. Man, it sucks to be so friggin' weak. I'll definitely be glad when this is done and the mess is cleaned up. No more of those damned helicopter seeds clogging our gutters! Maybe I won't have to go up on the roof and blow out the spoutings every two weeks now.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Page 1,595 of 1,842 1 2 1593 1594 1595 1596 1597 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 21, 1minute, 1OntarioJim, 56 invisible), 2,420 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,432
Posts18,489,277
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.