-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 27 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 26 27
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Welcome to 24hr. It's great to see companies coming on here asking questions and taking feedback. Keep up the good work.

You ain't about that life.
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I don't know didly squat what a particular marketer dictates to the OEM (not the other way around), and I'm betting you don't either. Retail price points determined by Zeiss, Leupold, Kahles, etc.....not the OEM, depending on the margin wanted by the marketer. If you're lumping Tract, or even Maven into the equation, did you miss the no middleman part?

Assume the Tract is made in Japan by Kamakura, same as the Zeiss Conquest HD, which is fantastic BTW. Zeiss marks it up $400 to you through the retailer, Maven/Tract do not.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Oh yes. As far as glass, HD, UHD, etc. are all different names for the exact same thing, and that's ED glass. ED being the "proper" term.....

And there are numerous grades of ED glass, at varying price points.

W
WRO Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by JGRaider

I'd say there is some truth to that, and a lot that's not. For instance there can be 5 different brands, made by LOW or Kamakura in Japan, and have different glass, OEM specs, etc, etc etc. About the only thing they could have in common is the OEM.

A good example is that, unbeknownst to many, a Zeiss Conquest HD, Vortex Razor HD, and Kahles binoculars are all made in Japan by Kamakura. Leupold's fantastic Gold Ring HD was too. They are obviously not identical products. Also unbeknownst to most, there are varying grades of HD/ED/UHD glass, even though all of it is termed "HD" or something similar depending on the particular brand it's marketed under.

I highly doubt anybody is going to find out how good these products are by reading about it. I have a Meopta HD, Swarovision, Gold Ring HD, and my buddy Big Al has a SLC HD. I'm going to get my hands on a Toric 8x42 ASAP and find out for myself, and leave the speculating to the experts here on 24HCF.

Khales say Austria on them, Does the glass come from Komachura?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There may be different grades of glass, but I'd bet the price points don't vary much if at all on said grades. You get what you pay for. Especially with scopes that are made on contract.....

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
There may be different grades of glass, but I'd bet the price points don't vary much if at all on said grades. You get what you pay for. Especially with scopes that are made on contract.....

I was wondering where you been.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
They are made in Japan, and have been for several years now, no matter what the box says.

Mule Deer mentioned it here:
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...90107/all/kahles_riflescopes_1_inch_tube

and a Euro-dude named jan van dalaan over at Birdforum owns an optics shop over there somewhere and has mentioned it several times over there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WRO
[quote=JGRaider]

I will tell you right now:

Anyone who thinks the German/Euro makers haven't pulled their hoodies over their heads and ducked into the Japanese glass plant for a shopping spree is misinformed at best.....

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

So a NF NXS, SS, Bushy HDMR's, Huskemaw's are the same, since they're all made in the same Japanese factory?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What up Scott? Yeah I have a veddy busy (polite term) year thus far. Lotta $hit goin' on.......grin.

Funny I was thinking on picking your brain on something about an hour ago......

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So a NF NXS, SS, Bushy HDMR's, Huskemaw's are the same, since they're all made in the same Japanese factory?

Not so sure they are all made in same factory.

What's more, I believe NF designs their own scopes. They are not one of the companies who utilizes what I would call the "classic Japanese design". Such as found on scopes like Nikon, Weaver, Bushnell, etc., etc.

Back when I was real into caring about this stuff, which I no longer am, I found that only the U.S. companies designed their own scopes. Meaning Leupold, Redfield, Weaver (micro trac scopes), Burris.

The other big name Jap scopes used the same basic designs generated on the same Jap computer programs. Little to no difference in quality, reliability.

They now have optics houses in Thailand, Phillipines, China, etc. Sometimes these firms are contracted out by larger firms, and sometimes they compete directly against them. I will pick on Nikon again (to support my earlier statement about them) and say that they contracted out to the lowest bidder. That's why they no longer say Japan on them. Profit was more important than quality. Make no mistake, Japan is still years ahead of the other Pacific rim mfgs........

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Not so sure they are all made in same factory.

What's more, I believe NF designs their own scopes.

Well they are.

As to your "NF designs their own scopes", that was my point with the binocular marketers...they do the same thing.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T

So Trevor, while we are being "straight up and honest", I would like to know if ALL your rifle scopes (don't care where the other optics are made) are made by the same (one) mfg. and/or if they are made by LOW.

It's no real secret to those in the know that LOW produces some "big name brands", and that they are capable of producing some very fine products.......

Absolutely correct, no big secret. The Toric, Tekoa, and Turion riflescopes are all coming out of LOW.

Toric and Tekoa Bino's coming out of Kamakura.

As for ED glass, 15 different and counting for me in my career. Also why we go so far to be open about the glass and where its coming from.

Trevor
Tract Optics
www.TractOptics.com

Use discount code: 24HOUR5 for 5% off your order!
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by WRO
[quote=JGRaider]

Anyone who thinks the German/Euro makers haven't pulled their hoodies over their heads and ducked into the Japanese glass plant for a shopping spree is misinformed at best.....

I can confirm that. Was part of a transition plan for one of them in a former life.

Trevor
Tract Optics
www.TractOptics.com

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by WRO
[quote=JGRaider]

Many companies who claim "made in ....." don't have the glass made there, or quite frankly, some of the components. Very common now actually, a lot use Schott but say "made in US".

Trevor
Tract Optics
www.TractOptics.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for confirming who makes your scopes. I appreciate the honesty. And for getting this thread back on tract.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TRACT_Optics
Originally Posted by WRO
[quote=JGRaider]

Many companies who claim "made in ....." don't have the glass made there, or quite frankly, some of the components. Very common now actually, a lot use Schott but say "made in US".

Agreed. However, Schott does make some glass in the U.S. though, do they not?

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Thanks for confirming who makes your scopes. I appreciate the honesty. And for getting this thread back on tract.....

anytime...and wish I had a drum and symbol right now grin

Trevor
Tract Optics
www.TractOptics.com

W
WRO Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by WRO
[quote=JGRaider]

The good schitt still comes from Schott in Germany though.

Victory HT's&SF's
Everything Swaro
Leica (not sure on the new stuff)
Meostars

Last edited by WRO; 07/11/16.
W
WRO Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
They are made in Japan, and have been for several years now, no matter what the box says.

Mule Deer mentioned it here:
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...90107/all/kahles_riflescopes_1_inch_tube

and a Euro-dude named jan van dalaan over at Birdforum owns an optics shop over there somewhere and has mentioned it several times over there.

Do you have anything a little more rock solid internet Heresay?

That being said, they do look amazingly like a Japanese OEM glass.

Page 5 of 27 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 26 27

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (1_deuce, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1234, 1minute, 16penny, 66 invisible), 2,377 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,538
Posts18,472,814
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.