Print Thread
Hop To
Page 23 of 33 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 32 33
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I have two dutch ovens, only time they are spoken for is saturday evening enchiladas... otherwise they are up for grabs.

Kent

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Made the machaca today...

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Originally Posted by Scott F
Wish we would have known, we have five at home but that is two days in the wrong direction.

Thanks Scott. I may be able to rig up some kind of double-boiler contraption, but I imagine someone will have a dutch oven out there.
- Kevin

I have four or five..... if one is not too rusty I'll bring it.

I've also got 5 or 6 pounds of catfish filets leftover from a fish fry a couple weeks ago which I'll throw in for Friday night.

I have David [Paladin] on speed dial and I'll check with him when we come thru Roswell to see if we need to pick up any last minute items.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Gene - is Paladin planning to get to the gathering? As far as I know, we have not heard a peep from him on this thread.

Kent - are you able to have a good headcount from replies so far?

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
About 40 but better count on 50 plus like last year.

Kent

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I will have a big cooler full of water, some soda that everyone is welcome to. I'm planning on bringing shareable snack stuff too.

The kid and I will be there Friday evening. The time will depend on when I am able to get away from the office.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by milespatton
Also, I was thinking of trying my hand at biscuits and gravy for breakfast on Thursday. Any thoughts ???

I like biscuits and gravy. miles

Is there anyone who grew up in the south that doesn't like Biscuits and Gravy?

If so, I never met 'em....

with grandkids and others coming in over the last week or so, l think biscuits and gravy were an addendum for breakfast a half dozen times, nobody complained.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
While camping, I used to make biscuits out of self-rising flour and then fried them in bacon grease. Not pretty or flaky by any means, but they were fairly tasty. I imagine you could probably make more conventional biscuits in a dutch oven, but I've never tried it.

My daughter and I will probably be there on Saturday around noon (or a bit after lunchtime) and we'll likely depart on Monday in the late AM.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CCCC
Gene - is Paladin planning to get to the gathering? As far as I know, we have not heard a peep from him on this thread.

He called a couple weeks ago and said he was planning on making it. I haven't heard since then. I'll call him.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by curdog4570

He called a couple weeks ago and said he was planning on making it. I haven't heard since then. I'll call him.

Hello all and Paul,

Still not 100%, but maybe 90% sure I'll be there at this point. Have held off saying anything due to uncertainties.

Let me know what is needed or if there is anything anyone hasn't spoken for. Otherwise I'll pitch in money to the kitty.

I believe my sister Nancy and her husband Pat will attend a day or two and they also need to know what to bring.

I'll be bringing a .416 Howell and the .470 NE for big bores.

Hope to be there.

David

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
David, I hauled an old A/Cond unit to the scrap yard last week and discovered brass is bringing top dollar. Them big cartridges ought to weigh out a right smart so don't worry about "policing the range". grin

CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks, Kent, and given the late news coming in from some folks, I think your 50 number is wise.

For all - looks like Dennis and I may have run up against a need for the Dangerous Game shoot. We are hoping/planning to have an incoming target rigged on something like a zip line. Up here I don't have a strong line or small cable long enough for the job (needs to be stretched fairly tight, I think) - probably at least 200 feet without a knot or joint. If anyone has or can get and bring such a line (maybe 1/4 or 5/16 dia.) it may help us have a fun shoot. If not possible, don't worry it - we will try to rig something to make it all work.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
FWIW, I went through the entire thread last night and came up with 37 confirmed--now 38 with David.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Well,it depends on when I can get canal water for hay and corn. So count me as a definite maybe. Will let you guys know later this week.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Ben, are you bringing green chili burros?

Kent

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks, Kent, and given the late news coming in from some folks, I think your 50 number is wise.

For all - looks like Dennis and I may have run up against a need for the Dangerous Game shoot. We are hoping/planning to have an incoming target rigged on something like a zip line. Up here I don't have a strong line or small cable long enough for the job (needs to be stretched fairly tight, I think) - probably at least 200 feet without a knot or joint. If anyone has or can get and bring such a line (maybe 1/4 or 5/16 dia.) it may help us have a fun shoot. If not possible, don't worry it - we will try to rig something to make it all work.

Dennis & Paul,

I have some fairly large aluminum pulleys used for stringing power lines. Let me know if you want me to bring them. I'm sure that you could rig up some sort of attachment for the DG shoot.

Originally Posted by RoninPhx
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by milespatton
Also, I was thinking of trying my hand at biscuits and gravy for breakfast on Thursday. Any thoughts ???

I like biscuits and gravy. miles

Is there anyone who grew up in the south that doesn't like Biscuits and Gravy?

If so, I never met 'em....

with grandkids and others coming in over the last week or so, l think biscuits and gravy were an addendum for breakfast a half dozen times, nobody complained.

All:
I'll plan cooking on biscuits and sausage gravy for Thursday morning breakfast. I'll probably bake the biscuits at home Tuesday evening. Just heat them Thursday morning.

Have any of you ever had egg gravy? Same as sausage gravy except made with scrambled eggs. Was a Mormon pioneer staple. I grew up on the stuff. Maybe I'll make a separate batch for ya'll to try.

For those of you that don't like sausage gravy, bring some home made jams, jellies or such.

OK, off to the market for a few supplies.

Kent, please call me when you have a minute. Maybe we could travel together. I'm going to be pulling a trailer also. Could be of help to each other in case of some sort of road trouble like a flat tire. 480-720-7908.

Jeff

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by curdog4570
David, I hauled an old A/Cond unit to the scrap yard last week and discovered brass is bringing top dollar. Them big cartridges ought to weigh out a right smart so don't worry about "policing the range". grin

At $3 apiece for empties there's no worries about policing the range. I'll hunt all of them down.

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
OK Guys and Gals - when we try to set up these organized shoots in first class form, thy can gobble up quite a bit of time/energy and sometimes we need to revise. So, here is the latest and (we hope) final poop sheet on the shooting events.

ARMIJO SPRINGS, NEW MEXICO SUMMER 2016 CAMPFIRE GATHERING

Organized Shoot Events – REVISED/ADDED INFORMATION

Friday 3:30 pm – Turkey Rimfire Tune-up Shoot (revised start time)
Shooters may use any rim fire sporting rifle with open or aperture sights (no scope or lighted lens sights) from any hunting position, but not from a bench or stationary rest. Sitting, prone, free-standing shooting sticks, tripod, etc. are OK. Once at the firing line, total time allowed is 4 minutes. Target will be a reduced-size picture of a turkey at approximately 30 yards, with a colored dot at a vital place. Smallest 5 shot group having at least one shot within the dot scores highest. There may be second and third place winners.

FRIDAY EVENING COMPETITION SHOOT (revised start time)
6:00 pm – Long Range .22 Rimfire Shoot

(Note: because the challenge level for this shoot rises significantly with wind effects, we planned to take advantage of the normal wind “die down” toward sunset – but recently the breezes have continued until after dark. So, the start time has been moved later with some hope – and some wind flags.)

Shooters may use any .22 Rimfire sporting rifle, any sights and shoot from any position. Total time allowed once at the firing spot is 5 minutes. Shooters will fire five shots at an appropriately sized orange circle at a distance of approximately 150 yards. The shooter firing the smallest 5 shot group having at least one shot within the orange circle scores highest. There may be second and third place winners. Shooting bags are not provided. If you plan to use bags, please be prepared with your own.

SATURDAY COMPETITION SHOOTS
8:30 am - Prairie Dog Shoot (revised start time)

Shooters may use any sporting firearm, any sights, and shoot from any position. Total time allowed once at the firing spot is 3 minutes. Shooters will fire one shot from a cold barrel at a simulated PD with 1/2" dot on chest at a distance of approximately 200 yards. Shot closest to the center of the dot is the winner. There may be second and third place winners. Shooting bags are not provided. If you plan to use bags, please be prepared with your own.

10:30 am (or as soon thereafter as possible) – Steel Shoot
This will be a 6 SHOT match where multiple steel targets of different sizes and at different ranges will be engaged. Scoring is based on the color of the targets. There will be three colors worth 10, 8 and 5 points. Highest point total wins. Match must be shot from a field position (no bench rest). Bags, shooting sticks, bipods, tall tripods are allowed. Adjustable tripod style front bench rests are not allowed. Rifle can be any caliber but is limited to a case capacity similar to a 30-06 (to save the steel). No AP bullets allowed. Rifle must be a sporting rifle, not a match rifle. No sight restrictions. Total time allowed once at the firing line is 6 minutes.

1:00 pm - Dangerous Game Shoot (revised yardage)
This match will involve a moving target at less than 75 yards. There will be a total of 3 shots available. Rifle must be a legitimate dangerous game type rifle. Minimum caliber is 9.3mm. Minimum energy is 3600 lbs-ft. (9.3x62 full power loads) No reduced loads in larger calibers. Shooters must use open or aperture sights - no scopes. Action can be bolt, double or single shot. No lever actions. 45-70s, 405 Winchesters do not qualify. This is a work in progress and will be tweaked as we set up the range.

KEN HOWELL REMEMBRANCE

Ken always did his best to visit us during these summer gatherings, at least for an afternoon or so. It seems fitting, due to his recent passing, that we do something special this summer in remembrance. Following on a great suggestion by one of our loyal and long-distance participants, you are encouraged to bring any Howell rifle – chambered in one of his cartridges and/or one of his many gifts to Campfire folks – to show and share for shooting by others. Bring ammo too. At a later time we will announce just when during the weekend this activity will be featured.

NOTE REGARDING ANY TOP PRIZE AWARDS
We hope to be able to award some significant first prizes for the competition shoots. Of course, ALL attendees are welcomed and encouraged to shoot for score and recognition – but award of any actual prizes for the top performer in any competitive shoot will be limited to persons, or family members of persons, who are registered and participating members of the Campfire at the time of this posting (early evening, July 11, 2016)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by krp
Ben, are you bringing green chili burros?

Kent
Yes!

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ben, you want to shoot my 204 Ruger you won the P D shoot with last time I came? I think you were the last one to shoot it since I haven't been to a dog town since.

I'll bring it and some ammo.

Page 23 of 33 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 32 33

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (35, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, beefan, 300_savage, 8 invisible), 1,447 guests, and 783 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,593
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.