Home

It's time to start working toward the summer Campfire fun at Armijo Springs, NM. The SW gang that created this event (krp, dennisinaz, Darby, CCCC, mudhen, Roninaz, THOMAS MAGNUM) will use this thread for info and planning.

The gathering will take place July 15-17 at Armijo Springs Campground in the Apache/Gila NF. Some will arrive early and stay late, which simply adds to the enjoyment. We had 54 participants last summer, the largest group yet, and that number included 14 ladies and 11 kids. Of course, we encourage those. Actually, our total number is secondary – it's been great no matter the number.

FOOD: Master cook will be krp (Kent) with Darby (Joe) as chief helper and others to be ID'd. They will lead all of the meal planning and organize the volunteered food

SHOOTING: Although there always is plenty of impromptu firearms activity, denninsinaz (Dennis) and CCCC (Paul) will set up/run the organized shoots. Special shooting aspects this year – more later.

CAMP: The campground has ample nice flat sites for tents vehicles and RVs and it features a one-hole unisex USFS privy (no issues with gender mysteries or discrimination). Those who arrive a bit early or stay after have been very good about helping with set up and clean up, and we need that. CCCC will honcho the setup on Thursday PM/Friday AM. He will provide tarps and most of the rope needed for the main shelter and shooting covers, ladders/tools, the US Flag, extra water supply and some other items. Everyone takes responsibility for leaving the place clean – some pitch in with final clean-up.

DRIVING:
From the north:
US Rte. 60 west from Socorro, NM or east from Springerville, AZ.
In Quemado, NM, take NM Rte. 32 south for about 18 miles, passing mile mark 24
Look for sign “Armijo Springs”, turn east (left) on CR A021 and proceed about 4 miles
Turn right at “Y”, drive a bit and listen/look for the commotion.

From the south through Reserve, NM:
NM Rte. 12 east to Apache Creek, then north on NM Rte 32 about 23.5 miles, passing mile mark 23.
Look for sign “Armijo Springs”, turn east (right) on CR A021 and proceed about 4 miles.
Same final.

So, mark the dates, make your plans and advise ASAP if you are coming, volunteer to bring good stuff as practical (just bring yourself if you are traveling long distance) and come prepared to enjoy some fine folks and moments.

Later posts – soon to come – will address food and other needs. Specifics on the shooting contests will be posted within the next 10 days.

IT IS RESPECTFULLY REQUESTED THAT THIS THREAD BE MADE A STICKY.
Thanks for the post, Paul!!!!
frown frown frown

Ed
Ed, them aint smiley faces!
No, they are not.

My presence is required at a training conference in Seattle, WA that week and it begins on Friday. frown This is one I am pretty much required to be at.

Ed
I'll be there!
Gonna try and make it.
Paul, thanks for the post. Alan, a friend (Mike), and I are planning on being there.
PLEASE MAKE THIS THREAD A STICKY.
Sorry you won't be there Ed but Bev and I will be there.
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Gonna try and make it.

Me too.

The question is how many family can come, since my wife is still struggling with the USG about her Green Card and has to await an interview, yet to be scheduled(!), in Tokyo and she will have our 7yo daughter with her. Bummer. At least I can get more work done while they are away.

Meanwhile Syrian illegals are pouring across the Southern border. crazy
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
No, they are not.

My presence is required at a training conference in Seattle, WA that week and it begins on Friday. frown This is one I am pretty much required to be at.

Ed

NOT AGAIN !!!!
"The Warden" and will make every effort to be there - with grandkids - and maybe even children! smile smile
Oh. I forgot to mention. I will be there!
It's a bit of a drive, but I'm going to see if I can make this work.
I am planning on attending again this year. Rio7
Originally Posted by Oldman03
Paul, thanks for the post. Alan, a friend (Mike), and I are planning on being there.

Randy, if young Mr. Alan comes and can get possession of some more homemade shine. I'd send him some money to bring enough... if it ain't breaking some inner'state hooch law.

Kent
See all you reprobates there agin...

Except Ed, we change the date every year cause he bitches, and every year he's doing his hair or sumpin.

Kent
I am, too! It's a different hair each time so I have a different excuse. grin

Seriously, I really miss you guys and this Gathering.

I am going to send my Howell rifles and some ammo so y'all can enjoy them, even if I'm not there to see it.

Ed
Originally Posted by kingston
It's a bit of a drive, but I'm going to see if I can make this work.

Bogtrotter and his lovely wife came from New England a few years ago. Visited the Grand Canyon and maybe Vegas also.

Kent
I am, too! It's a different hair each time so I have a different excuse. grin

Seriously, I really miss you guys and this Gathering.

I am going to send my Howell rifles and some ammo so y'all can enjoy them, even if I'm not there to see it.

Ed

Well DARBY misses you... says you're the only one that will taste his food to see if I spit in it.

Kent
Ed - just saw your frowns. This is not good - don't like it - sure will miss you.
Well my smiling deadpan will be there.... unless the Creeks rise etc...

Don't know if the wife can make it.... the hospital is putting in some software system, and her dept is a pivot point.... and some Einstein upper Level Management has screwed up the implementation and they are behind 60 days or more...so there may be a freeze on all vacations because of it...

She really really enjoyed herself there last year.... even moreso with the Grand Canyon excursion on the way home...

Let me know if I can bring anything beside my old Sad Sack Face...
Originally Posted by Seafire
Well my smiling deadpan will be there.... unless the Creeks rise etc...

Don't know if the wife can make it.... the hospital is putting in some software system, and her dept is a pivot point.... and some Einstein upper Level Management has screwed up the implementation and they are behind 60 days or more...so there may be a freeze on all vacations because of it...

She really really enjoyed herself there last year.... even moreso with the Grand Canyon excursion on the way home...

Let me know if I can bring anything beside my old Sad Sack Face...

I hope we both can make it. A really great venue, well worth the trip for you and I had a great time meeting those who stayed late!
My plans are to be there. It will take a lot to change them. miles
Bump

Originally Posted by krp
Well DARBY misses you... says you're the only one that will taste his food to see if I spit in it.
Kent

You know I taste test Darby's food, I know I taste test Darby's food, Darby knows I taste test his food and you and I know that you would never tamper with it.

Darby does NOT know that I wouldn't... wink

Ed
SHHHHHH....

Kent
Hello All.

I'll be there again this year. Not sure if the wife will be attending this time. I might need to buy a trailer to entice her.

Paul, I'm going to try to get there a few days early. Maybe Tuesday, and for sure by Wednesday. I'll help with whatever tasks need taken care of.

Ed. We understand. Sure wish that you could be there. You will be sorely missed.

Kent- Any food assignments? Let me know. Maybe send me a PM. I'm glad to help out.

John. I might need to sit down with you and talk Blue Dot and .223 I have a bottle sitting around here that needs to get used up.

As for the rest of you, I'm looking forward to renewing our friendship.

Jeff
Unfortunately this one will likely never work for me as I head to Idaho for the summer. It sounds like a great trip.
C'mon Ed - you haven't even seen the "shoot" descriptions yet and it's not far. You'll probably need a break from ID by then and feel sure you would enjoy this unusual commotion.
I'll be there. Likely just me and the kids or just me. Those thunderstorms last year played hell with Brandy's migraines. She loves it up there though so there is a chance she'll come.
Can't make it. I'll be in AK with the better half fishing for salmon on the Kenai River.
Originally Posted by THOMASMAGNUM
I'll be there. Likely just me and the kids or just me. Those thunderstorms last year played hell with Brandy's migraines. She loves it up there though so there is a chance she'll come.

We had thunderstorms last year???!!!???!!!

Wow, that shine Alan brought was potent!!!!

It's some good stuff! Smeuuuth as "Guzzler's Gin"!
bump
Originally Posted by krp

Randy, if young Mr. Alan comes and can get possession of some more homemade shine. I'd send him some money to bring enough... if it ain't breaking some inner'state hooch law.

Kent

Kent, it's against the law to make hooch, so I dont know what you are talking about. Must have us mixed up with some hooligans from somewhere in your past.

But, if we find anymore of them quart jars, laying around, we'll try and bring a few. whistle
Spring water... I don't know where I got the term hooch... spring water.

Kent
Originally Posted by krp
Spring water... I don't know where I got the term hooch... spring water.

Kent
From the bayou. Yeah, that's it. Bayou Spring Water. Must be like that Hot Springs Soda Water I tried last May. Outstanding stuff..

Ed
Originally Posted by EdM
Unfortunately this one will likely never work for me as I head to Idaho for the summer. It sounds like a great trip.

It is about 1350 mile for me but we are going. We plan to get there a couple of days early and may stay a day late. Probably stay a day or two in Caldwell then head south. You can follow us if you want. It is worth tube trip.
No, they are not.

Ed

Got a good friend lives down your way. Big guy, real big guy. How about I ask him to go see you and maybe break both legs. Then you will ha e an excuse not to go to Seattle and someone could bring you up to Quemado in a wheel chair.
Hey Scott, Ed's just a 'party pooper'! Probably wouldn't want to do anything if he came to Quemado, but eat, sleep, tell lies, and shoot guns. Folks like that can be...
I'm not bringing my green horn buddy from inner city St Louis or my ammo bag this year either!
Jon, what ARE you bringing??
Some pictures from last year.

Ponderosa pines, crisp mornings, elk chirping alarm clocks.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

THANK YOU RICK FOR MAKING THIS THREAD A STICKY! smile smile
Originally Posted by jmgraham1986
I'm not bringing my green horn buddy from inner city St Louis or my ammo bag this year either!

Hey, Jon! Last we heard, you didn't even have an ammo bag anymore! grin

Did you do the elk hunt and how did that work out?

Bring the family. If my wife and daughter (age 7 now) are back from Japan, I plan to include them.

Did you finally figure out where the bag went to? Or is it long gone ?
Dennis and I think we have settled on the important details of the shooting events/contests. Additional info may come later. Shown below are the the lineup and the requirements. Good shooting - have fun.

FRIDAY AFTERNOON TUNE-UP SHOOT
2:00 pm – Turkey Rimfire Shoot

Shooters may use any rim fire sporting rifle with open or aperture sights (no scope or lighted lens sights) from any hunting position, but not from a bench or stationary rest. Sitting, prone, free-standing shooting sticks, tripod, etc. are OK. Once at the firing line, total time allowed is 4 minutes. Target will be a reduced-size picture of a turkey at approximately 30 yards, with a colored dot at a vital place. Smallest 5 shot group having at least one shot within the dot scores highest. There may be second and third place winners.

FRIDAY EVENING COMPETITION SHOOT
4:30 pm – Long Range .22 Rimfire Shoot

Shooters may use any .22 Rimfire sporting rifle, any sights and shoot from any position. Total time allowed once at the firing spot is 5 minutes. Shooters will fire five shots at an appropriately sized orange circle at a distance of approximately 150 yards. The shooter firing the smallest 5 shot group having at least one shot within the orange circle scores highest. There may be second and third place winners. Shooting bags are not provided. If you plan to use bags, please be prepared with your own.

SATURDAY COMPETITION SHOOTS
9:00 am - Prairie Dog Shoot

Shooters may use any sporting firearm, any sights, and shoot from any position. Total time allowed once at the firing spot is 3 minutes. Shooters will fire one shot from a cold barrel at a simulated PD with 1/2" dot on chest at a distance of approximately 200 yards. Shot closest to the center of the dot is the winner. There may be second and third place winners. Shooting bags are not provided. If you plan to use bags, please be prepared with your own.

10:30 am (or as soon thereafter as possible) – Steel Shoot
This will be a 6 SHOT match where multiple steel targets of different sizes and at different ranges will be engaged. Scoring is based on the color of the targets. There will be three colors worth 10, 8 and 5 points. Highest point total wins. Match must be shot from a field position (no bench rest). Bags, shooting sticks, bipods, tall tripods are allowed. Adjustable tripod style front bench rests are not allowed. Rifle can be any caliber but is limited to a case capacity similar to a 30-06 (to save the steel). No AP bullets allowed. Rifle must be a sporting rifle, not a match rifle. No sight restrictions. Total time allowed once at the firing line is 6 minutes.

1:00 pm - Dangerous Game Shoot
This match will involve a moving target at less than 50 yards. There will be a total of 3 shots available. Rifle must be a legitimate dangerous game type rifle. Minimum caliber is 9.3mm. Minimum energy is 3600 lbs-ft. (9.3x62 full power loads) No reduced loads in larger calibers. Shooters must use open or aperture sights - no scopes. Action can be bolt, double or single shot. No lever actions. 45-70s, 405 Winchesters do not qualify. This is a work in progress and will be tweaked as we set up the range.

KEN HOWELL REMEMBRANCE

Ken always did his best to visit us during these summer gatherings, at least for an afternoon or so. It seems fitting, due to his recent passing, that we do something special this summer in remembrance. Following on a great suggestion by one of our loyal and long-distance participants, you are encouraged to bring any Howell rifle – chambered in one of his cartridges and/or one of his many gifts to Campfire folks – to show and share for shooting by others. Bring ammo too. At a later time we will announce just when during the weekend this activity will be featured.
Man am I sorry that I am going to miss this. The shooting plans look great.
yeah Ed, there are those of us sorry you can't make it either... really did enjoy meeting you at Roosevelt Lake in Feb....you definitely make a fine addition to the crew...

personally sorry to see both you and Ed Too Many Letters can't make it...
Wii take the 9x57 and the .450 Howell if it's ready. Still have some bugs to work out on the .450.
there was a fellow at the lake roosevelt gathering that shot a reminton model 14 in .30carbine. And I can't remember his name. If he sees this or someone knows who it is appreciate letting me know. thx.
I'm thinking it must be nifty-two-fifty or possibly EdM.

Kent
EdM is the oil guy, Ron.
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
EdM is the oil guy, Ron.

Geez Dennis,

Is that all I am? I am retired now and short of a bit of RDS stock I like cheap gas. Well, not really... grin

Next summer, with our last son off to college prior, I will work to book this trip before heading north. I truly enjoyed my first trip to Tonto this year and with son #3 in college my wife and I should be able to haul the trailer and join.
I remember the remington, cause i have one. But not like his. It was made to replicate a rifle made for the canadian mounties. Barrel had been chopped to 18inches, and a nice peep installed on the back of the reciever.
I was watching the sight in on that scoped rifle, and he pulled the carbine out and first round rang the gong. We were both laughing. Pretty good for a 100 year old rifle.
That was me with the 30 Rem carbine. I had a great time at the Tonto Basin get-together.

I am keeping Armijo Springs in mind as a possibility. I would sure like to make it if the stars will align for it to work out. It will be a fine group of folks, for sure.
Originally Posted by nifty-two-fifty
That was me with the 30 Rem carbine. I had a great time at the Tonto Basin get-together.

I am keeping Armijo Springs in mind as a possibility. I would sure like to make it if the stars will align for it to work out. It will be a fine group of folks, for sure.

sending you a private messasge
by the way i got my rifle back. the fellow just had too much going on in his life to make rem30 brass out of 30.30 brass for me.

"Fine group of folks"?

I've been there - "renegades" is more fitting! smile smile smile
Originally Posted by mark shubert

"Fine group of folks"?

I've been there - "renegades" is more fitting! smile smile smile

The "other" group of "America's Most Wanted"... whistle
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

sending you a private messasge
by the way i got my rifle back. the fellow just had too much going on in his life to make rem30 brass out of 30.30 brass for me.

Ron,

Buffalo Arms did have a new shipment of 30 Remington brass and some ammo . I I dunno if they still have any in stock mightcheck their website.

Bob
Originally Posted by Anjin

Hey, Jon! Last we heard, you didn't even have an ammo bag anymore! grin

Did you do the elk hunt and how did that work out?

Bring the family. If my wife and daughter (age 7 now) are back from Japan, I plan to include them.

I got a new one laugh

The elk hunt went ok. I choked (see buck fever) on a bugeling bull opening morning and then wounded a cow on day 7. Im pretty sure I put the arrow into no mans land above the lungs and below the spine.

I'm marking my calendar. Hope to be able to make it work.
Sure looking forward to this years edition of Armijo Springs especially after having missed Tonto/AZ by a "foot".
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
This is very good - hope you can bring the sons.
Wycolocowboy, By all means bring your boys, looking forward to seeing you all again. Rio7
Bcolorado, Bring the bacon, I will have the coffee ready. Rio7
Looking forward to seeing all of you again. miles
I think have a picture of Miles at Ed's place in Gilmer. I think he fried up about 273 lbs of bacon. It was great stuff.
First year there I could not keep Paladin from eating it half raw. Also first time I ever cooked bacon in a wok. miles
Originally Posted by CCCC
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
This is very good - hope you can bring the sons.

That's what we are trying to figure out. Son #1 has the Rocky Mountain Leadership Camp at CSU-Pueblo that week and is done about noon Friday. The following week, they both have a barbershop camp in Estes Park and then #1 is off immediately from there to Ontario to compete in the 2016 North American Envirothon (Forestry, wildlife, aquatics and soils). We might have to pack light if his Mom let's him be gone for three weeks straight..

Originally Posted by milespatton
First year there I could not keep Paladin from eating it half raw. Also first time I ever cooked bacon in a wok. miles

Since you admit to being a skilled bacon cook... You have been unanimously chosen to be the 'official bacon chef'.

grin
F

Since you admit to being a skilled bacon cook... You have been unanimously chosen to be the 'official bacon chef'.

grin

Works for me.
Scott, you got that new camper all figured out? Ready to hitch on and go? If this &*%$# cancer will allow it, I plan on being there with my old Chinook.

Miles, did anyone get up the courage to tell you that the bacon you cooked in your wok tasted like sweet and sour cat?

grin

I second the motion.

All in favor ?
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
Scott, you got that new camper all figured out? Ready to hitch on and go? If this &*%$# cancer will allow it, I plan on being there with my old Chinook.

Yep. I can have it hitched up, packed, and ready to go in less than twenty minutes. Praying you beat it and can come. Love to spend some fire time with you.
kaywoodie
if you promise not to slobber on it, i might bring along a model 14circa 1914. Do to the kindness of some people on this forum i actually now have brass for it. Or is that too late a vintage?
I need ammo for a mauser 71/84 straight pull by the way, the metallic black powder stuff.
Dang I had four rounds on my old work bench when I left, Ron! For real!!!

Oh and postscript,

I'll let you slobber on several of the newest additions to the pile of 1895 Winchesters I'm abringin'!
When are you two slobberers going to leap a century?

Which direction?
In the rim fire turkey shoot Friday afternoon, does a lighted lens include fiber optic front sight?
Since you admit to being a skilled bacon cook...

Fixed it for you. Don't mind helping anyway that I can. miles

Damn Paul! When I finally got to the 20 century, they went and changed it on me!!

So I figger it will take me least another 40 years to catch up.
Originally Posted by 45_100
In the rim fire turkey shoot Friday afternoon, does a lighted lens include fiber optic front sight?

Nah - it's good to go - no battery power.
Miles, did anyone get up the courage to tell you that the bacon you cooked in your wok tasted like sweet and sour cat?

Wern't my wok, but belonged to a fellow from West Texas. I think I got all of that cooked out of it. miles
Not your wok? Now I know what to get you for your birthday.
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

Damn Paul! When I finally got to the 20 century, they went and changed it on me!!

So I figger it will take me least another 40 years to catch up.

and one finds one retrogressing. I have some 41brass tumbling right now, to load a 175 grain lead powdercoated bullet in. And with the powder i got today i am looking for around 750-800fps. and i got to thinking. of that flat spring colt double action 1892 in 41colt that they made like three different diameter bullets for. and aren't i duplicating that? oh wait a minute, i spied a box of brand new 38wcf brass i used to load those old colt bisley saa's at 180grain bullet at about 800fps. Then i get confused.
As to the 1895's yes, i will admit i WANT one. Preferable in 30govrnment. and the reason i don't have one is i know where there is one sitting in a safe from that period that has never been fired. and he ain't gonna sell it, but he let me hold it one day. the last century was better, in so many ways.
i got a rifle that came out of afkanistan. a british army rifle dated around 1860 something a snyder. has the leather, bayonet, all of it. and i have got to get some 577 ammo put together for it. got that in a carbine too that probably hasn't been fired since 1870.
I heard there is Vietnamese cookbook named how to wok your dog
Miles, always has a ham sandwich in his pocket he doesn't have to worry about cooking. Rio7
"i got a rifle that came out of afkanistan. a british army rifle dated around 1860 something a snyder. has the leather, bayonet, all of it. and i have got to get some 577 ammo put together for it. got that in a carbine too that probably hasn't been fired since 1870."

Ron,
When I get to Quemado I will explain the method we employed to make ammo for the .577 Snider. Sure to raise an eyebrow! Would certainly make the most fearsome Afridi tribesman giggle!

I will edit and say it's cheap, easy, and relatively safe!

Huh?

Most important thing is to bring your 22s sighted in for 150 yards. It takes quite a bit of twisting on the scope to come up from squirrel zero to 150 zero.
Huh? Dennis, I think the inquiry is about the open/iron sight rimfire turkey shoot at normal yardage (no scopes) - not the 150 yard .22 rimfire challenge.

Most likely when I do! smile
Miles, always has a ham sandwich in his pocket he doesn't have to worry about cooking. Rio7

Ya don't get to be my size missing meals. miles

Most likely when I do! smile

Mark! You gonna bring that M1905 winchester of yours? I'm throwing my 32/20 Colt in the truck this year too!
Dang, all this old iron... maybe we could have an old/fart old/ iron shoot....

This could be fun... Hamms beer cans at a 100 yards...
I read somewhere that Bob has give up on Hamms, so we would not have enough targets. miles
Yeah. But I'll prolly have a case or two of Pearl! Them cans make pretty targets!!!
Originally Posted by bcolorado
Dang, all this old iron... maybe we could have an old/fart old/ iron shoot....

This could be fun... Hamms beer cans at a 100 yards...

Mebbe 50 yards. After, We are old ( and some are blind) farts!
think I would qualify for the old fart shoot gotta a couple of guns with iron sites. and i am old and fart a lot.Rio7
I have heard of iron sights but it has been many years since I have seen one.
I'm in with you old dudes.

Now, iron sights are one thing and old farts are another - but it's those old iron farts you gotta watch out for.

Plenty at the gathering last summer - Kent says it wasn't his cooking.
Mark! You gonna bring that M1905 winchester of yours? I'm throwing my 32/20 Colt in the truck this year too!

I'll try to remember the 1905 (missing the rear sight - hint, hint), and see your Colt 32-20 with another! Might even bring the Marlin takedown in 32-20 smile
Any interest in me bringing a 1893 Marlin in 25/20? I've heard the manufacture date was 1894 and then someone else deduced it was 1906....

history on the rifle, is it belonged to a Doctor friend of mine who passed, it was handed down thru his family... his Great Grandfather had bought it new in Indiana...

Damon and his wife never had any children and he had one sister, who is a typical San Francisco leftist, anti everything normal.. they did not get along.

She actually wanted the rifle, so she could destroy it, claiming it had been a family embarrassment.. so at the twelfth hour it was given to me...after he passed in 2003.
Well, I'm going to bring Alan's brand-new, in 1937, Win model 62.

When Dad came home from WWII, the train stopped in Denver. They had a layover and Dad walked to a shop and bought the used rifle for $10.

Sounds like this is shaping up to be quite a vintage affair! I mean vintage firearms too!!!
[quote=kaywoodie]Sounds like this is shaping up to be quite a vintage affair! I mean vintage firearms too!!! [/quote

Uffda...been called many things in life...some good... some not so good...

But...

VINTAGE?....

uFFda...

Now this here is the "vintage" area at Armijo Springs...

lol..
Brian,

I think most of us attending are what would be considered 'vintage'... maybe instead we need to set up a kids range for the younger crowd, 40 and under...

I'll try to remember the 1905 (missing the rear sight - hint, hint), and see your Colt 32-20 with another! Might even bring the Marlin takedown in 32-20 smile

Mark,
I may have several sights that might just work. A couple may even be Winchester. I will bring them!
Us old guy's like old guns,by the way I remember when no one we knew in the whole county had a scoped rifle, we called open sites iron sites because a peep site was not an open site to us, I have some old iron that I can bring to shoot that has not been shot in years.think I will dig it out and bring it along. Rio7
This sounds like it is going to be a lot of fun.
Brian,

I think most of us attending are what would be considered 'vintage'... maybe instead we need to set up a kids range for the younger crowd, 40 and under...

John, probably ought'a make that 50 and under! smile
Brian,

John, probably ought'a make that 50 and under! smile

Or 60 and under! When I was 50, I could still see!!!
I haven't been able to "see" officially since 1963 - my "good" eye was 20/150. I used-to-could shoot OK, though. smile
I can still shoot just fine at 67. I have no idea if I ever hit anything but I can still shoot.
No....I'm 56 and I lost the ability to focus the front sight last year. I need a sympathetic optometrist who can make some glasses for me so I can see the front sight again.

All I've got that is iron-sighted is an M1A and a handful of handguns.
FYI Wife and I have penciled in our rout and dated. We plan to be there on the afternoon or early evening of the 13th. I also plan on bringing a saw to cut up some fire wood. Does anyone know if those piles of wood are still there.
Missing this is killing me....
Originally Posted by EdM

Ed, this is important. Think about it.
I want to hang around a bunch of old farts like myself. My wife works for Southern Illinois University in Carbondale. All these youngsters everywhere has begun to wear on me.
Originally Posted by EdM

One simple way to eliminate that problem Ed...

once someone has been to one of these, they are considered a regular....
Trust me, this I understand. The issue is our last son's "getting ready for college trip to A&M" that my dear wife has volunteered for without me in trade for getting the Idaho house "ready for her arrival". When the dust settles we have reached a compromise, the story of our happy 33 years... I, maybe we, will be at Tonto next year.
It's a 1200 mile trek for me. Long ride.
You guys coming from exotic places like AR, LA, TX ought to try to car pool.
Originally Posted by Magnumdood

that's about the distance I drive every year to get there...

and that's even driving thru California, or sparse and barren Nevada....
It take me almost 10 hrs. to get out of Texas, then it's 8 hrs, to Armijo Springs,it's worth the effort just to visit with everyone. Rio7
Bingo! My yearly pilgrimage. I gotta get out of here. Will be nice not to deal with stifling humidity for a while.

I'm gonna tote my 9.3 x 62 along this time, as well as several wore out 1895 Winchesters. And a handgun or two!!!!

Oldest son was making some noise about showing up again this year. Miles, I'm sure he'll have your little Buddy in tow.
Bob, I would like to see both of them again. I bet Mike has grown since I last saw Him. miles

How long does it take you?

Is it a tent/camper affair? Are there any hotel rooms within a reasonable driving distance?

Around 1100 for me. Depends on which route I choose. miles

It is a 24 hour drive for me.
Magnumdood - yes, it's tent/other camping at a small NFS campgound with an anygender toilet. We bring everything we need in, especially some fine folks.

The nearest motels (two - one quite decent) are 22 miles away (4mi. on gravel rod and 18mi. paved).
Well, the shoot plans are shaping up. Should be big fun.

A rare event - recently came across a prarie dog on our place (seems like only one) and tried to figger out how to catch it - maybe could make the PD shoot real for at least one shooter. But, was out fixing some far fence this AM and that critter popped up again in a new place. Went to the house and grabbed the only .22 sitting out and went back to fence work. Before long he popped up again about 75 yards away. This Marlin 56 has peep sight and is set for 25 yards - held a bit high and nailed his head. Big/fat one (Gunnison type) probably because he had all the grub to himself.

The PDs on the shoot targets are not that big. And, they are 200 yards out.

How long does it take you?

Is it a tent/camper affair? Are there any hotel rooms within a reasonable driving distance?

I suppose we should have put up the motel info, quite a few folks use the motel and drive the 30 minutes to camp.

Largo Motel in Quemado, it has a good cafe and the owner has mounts from guiding hunts. (575) 773-4686

Kent
Thanks!

Miles, you make the best half raw bacon I've ever et. The full raw stuff in Tonto a couple of years ago was pretty good as well but I don't remember who made it.

You gonna attend this year?
I certainly want to but don't know at this point. As always, it depends on work, or lack thereof.

Does anyone need brass? .270--.308--.243-- 9mm--.45acp--.223, that's what I have the most of but have some other stuff also haven't got it all sorted out yet. we have been bagging it up in baggies about 100 pieces per bag.

I will give it to who ever wants it for a donation to the kitchen crew for food and whatever. let me know what you need and if I have it I will bring it. Rio7
I could use a hundred 308.
Blue,

sign me up for some 243. a bag or two would be fine.
Seafire, OK.
Scott F, Gotcha covered.

Add .40 and .204 to the list don't have a lot maybe 500 pieces.

Have 3 ranch hands sons sorting brass, we may be finished by this evening, if we find anything else worth posting I will post it. THanks Rio7
If anyone has some 444 brass, I am looking to make some 45 Colt shot shells.
I'd send a check to the procurement officer, just in case "The Warden" and I can't make it.
Let me know to whom.
Blue,

I can always use .270 brass. Between me and the older grandkids, I have several to feed.

Thanks!

Ben
Howdy Ben, You are talking to the right guy, how much do you need? we bagged around 2500 pieces today of once fired Hornady, and some Federal. Blue
I have a little more that a hundred 45 Auto Rim up for adoption. If somebody has a Webley the work well.

Also Brian and I have been working on a fun shoot. We plan to bring the equipment and ammo for a bowling pin fun shoot. If anyone can fins a few bowling pins it would be helpful. I have the required ten pins but having a few extras is a good thing. Usually if you ask a a bowling alley the will give you some scrap pins.

Originally Posted by Scott F
I have a little more that a hundred 45 Auto Rim up for adoption. If somebody has a Webley the work well.

Also Brian and I have been working on a fun shoot. We plan to bring the equipment and ammo for a bowling pin fun shoot. If anyone can fins a few bowling pins it would be helpful. I have the required ten pins but having a few extras is a good thing. Usually if you ask a a bowling alley the will give you some scrap pins.

this bowling pin thing makes me nervous. does that mean i have to put more powder in the casings?
Nope, not at all.

Unless you want to knock one off the table. wink
Don't you have a Webley? Interested in adopting some orphaned brass?

A "survivor" from a Washington get together a few years ago...

[Linked Image]
Wow, looks like somebody actually hit it! Amazing!!! grin
Blue - I place myself at the end of the line behind others who may need brass, but can use some .243, .45ACP, and/or .223 if there is any left.
Blue - I place myself at the end of the line behind others who may need brass, but can use some .243, .45ACP, and/or .223 if there is any left.

Blue if you only have a small amount of 243 brass, put Paul ahead of me.

Paul, If you need 223 brass, PM me.
Wow, looks like somebody actually hit it! Amazing!!! grin

What the heck Scott! I hit the bowling pin every time I took a shot.. granted that they were the ones that were to the left or right of the one I was aiming at... BUT I still hit one Every TIME....

My Indian Name isn't old "Crossed Eyed Dead Eye" for nothing...

Blind in one and can't see out of the other...
Paul, I have a lot of.243?? nickle plated or brass, will bring a bunch,also plenty of .223 and ,45 not as much but may be 5-6 hundred pieces I think I have you covered,

Seafire, not to worry I have plenty of .243

Scott, I have a bunch of bowling pins I can throw in my trailer, don't know how many how about 10??

Rio7
Scott, I have a bunch of bowling pins I can throw in my trailer,

Don't get it so heavy that it can't make the trip. grin miles
Blue,

Please put me down for a couple hundred .270 cases--a hundred of each headstamp, if it's not too much trouble.

Ben
Miles, That's not funny, I did that last year, Damned near burned the whole state of Texas, down with a hot wheel. Rio7
I know. Reminder to be careful, although you could not have seen that coming. miles
Ben, got ya covered, we didn't sort by head stamp, it's a get what you get, catch as catch can kinda deal, but it all should be one or the other. Rio7
Originally Posted by RIO7
Paul, I have a lot of.243?? nickle plated or brass, will bring a bunch,also plenty of .223 and ,45 not as much but may be 5-6 hundred pieces I think I have you covered,

Seafire, not to worry I have plenty of .243

Scott, I have a bunch of bowling pins I can throw in my trailer, don't know how many how about 10??

Rio7

That is more than enough, thanks.
Blue, thanks...

if you do sort nickle from regular brass, I'd prefer the nickle...
Seafire, Will set aside nickle .243 for you. Blue
Don't you have a Webley? Interested in adopting some orphaned brass?

scott
i have at least three revolvers that use it. And will take it assuming no response from others.
If anyone has some 444 brass, I am looking to make some 45 Colt shot shells.

scott
i would have to go look but i think i made some of that 45colt shot shells using .410 shotgun wads. I think i used an inverted 44gas check at the mouth, or you can use a casing to cut steyrofoam to enclose. then i used a hot glue gun to seal.
i bought a bag of no12 shot on line, only place i could find it.
venturino had a article in handloader a few years ago on doing this. much better stuff than the commercial, will absolutely shred a potato.
Hello Blue.

I too would be interested in .223 & .243 What ever is avail after the others get their shares.

Thanks,

Jeff
Jeff, Have plenty of .223 and .243 will put your name on some of it. Blue
Thanks for all of this, Blue. Very generous with your time and effort.
http://rs53.pbsrc.com/albums/g61/BlueRIO7/IMGP0151_zps00rsk0r1.jpg~c100[Linked Image]

Brass, here's about 1/2 of what we have bagged so far
Paul, It's my pleasure, We have so much brass at the end of hunting season, we don't know what to do with it, not many people in this area reload, and I always have more brass than I know what to do with, figured some of the fire members could use it. I have a big box with the brass that's spoken for, with bags marked with names. Blue
Yes, THANK YOU !
I still haven't heard who to send a check for supplies (food, paper goods, water, any other necessaries)
We're hoping to make it, but (again) will not be sure 'til shortly before time.
Mark - a considerate and responsible thought, but best to wait until you know you are coming and then check in to find what we may need you to bring - or you could donate something to the food cause once you get here.
I still haven't heard who to send a check for supplies (food, paper goods, water, any other necessaries)
We're hoping to make it, but (again) will not be sure 'til shortly before time.

You have to come Mark. I can't be the only google looking one there.
Speaking of supplies....

Kent, get with me. I have a few things to drop off to you.

Jeff
Would not miss it ! Are dogs okay ?
Originally Posted by mountainpappa
Would not miss it ! Are dogs okay ?

You getting married Larry?
Ignore him.
The only of his names I have not put on ignore yet. It was just to good an opening to pass up. I will not see if he replies just as we will not see him at the gathering.
Personally, I hope he shows.
I 'd like to see if he's as big an A-hole in person - or not.
Blue,do you have any 6mm Remington brass?

I have no desire to see him for any reason. miles

I have no desire to see him for any reason. miles
+1
Sorry no 6mm. Rio7
Ok.
Blue-
Hope you invited Jude back down again this year.
Blue-
Hope you invited Jude back down again this year.

Yeah, I second that... I really enjoyed talking to your son the last time he was there Blue...

great kid, nice guy...
I would like to meet him too.
I have asked Jude, to come again this year,he had a great time last year. and enjoyed meeting everyone. Rio7
Hey guys - it's been trying to rain here but nothing much since mid-May, and we need some soakers to make sure the forest is open and safe for our campfires. So, star with the rain dances and burnt offerings.
Will do!
If Cross, and Ed toomanyletters would show up - we could burn some Slivovitz with Albanian dwarves. Just do it up proper, so to speak!

smile smile smile

Or maybe just drink the sliv. smile
We had about half an inch last night in a thunderstorm. Trying again tonight, but I don't think that it's going to get it done. It's too early to start worrying, but the sooner it starts, the better.
Hey guys - it's been trying to rain here but nothing much since mid-May, and we need some soakers to make sure the forest is open and safe for our campfires. So, star with the rain dances and burnt offerings.

Y'all didn't get any of those clouds I sent your way from here????? We've been pretty dry this week! Figgered them rain clouds was cooperating and headed your way!

I'll try again!
Kaywoodie - you missed! We've been getting small thunder showers up here, though. 4 tenths last night.
Thank you for your poor aim smile
Got a little rain again last night, proving once again that prognostication is not one of my strong suits. Still, I'm not worrying about USFS banning campfires this year. I think that we only have to worry about everyone in attendance having a dry place to sleep, especially in the third weekend in July.
U

Will do. Can you tell me if the piles of wood that were there two years ago are still big enough to use for fire wood? We plan to be there a couple of days early and bring a chain saw to cut wood for the gathering if there is wood to cut. Seems to me that would be easier than hauling it from Oregon.
There is always wood available anywhere I've camped in AZ or nm, no need to bring any.

Kent
Thanks. But we should bring saw and axe right.
Sure
Scott, we have beaucoup firewood. Not only is Kent correct, but the USFS has not yet burned those big slash piles that are scattered around the forest - wish they would.

Hope you can cut and burn most of that one pile near the shooting venue - it's in the way at times and am thinking that some Albanian dwarves still are living in there.
Mr DARBY has issued a chili challenge, anyone wanting to bring some I guess that'll be lunch during saturday's shoot.

I'll make mine AZ style with beans.

Kent
What is the menu looking like other than chili?

Depends on my work schedule if I can go.

Judy
Saturday dinner will be mexican.

If Paul doesn't have plans for friday we can do pull pork.

Kent

Also will try to catch some fish tomorrow.

Kent
Scott, we have beaucoup firewood. Not only is Kent correct, but the USFS has not yet burned those big slash piles that are scattered around the forest - wish they would.

Hope you can cut and burn most of that one pile near the shooting venue - it's in the way at times and am thinking that some Albanian dwarves still are living in there.

laugh

Will bring the saw and see what we can do.
Originally Posted by NMLady
What is the menu looking like other than chili?

Depends on my work schedule if I can go.

Judy

You had better show up. I have been telling my wife about all the nice ladies who show up every year. If you want me to come back you have to prove I am telling the truth.

You had better show up. I have been telling my wife about all the nice ladies who show up every year. If you want me to come back you have to prove I am telling the truth.

I start a new job on the 19th of this month. I did request time off, but don't have my work schedule for campout time.
New jobs can be good. I hope you all make it.
Originally Posted by krp
There is always wood available anywhere I've camped in AZ or nm, no need to bring any.

Kent

I could be wrong, but my understanding is that New Mexico bans bringing out-of-state wood into forest areas to prevent the spread of pests.
I could be wrong, but my understanding is that New Mexico bans bringing out-of-state wood into forest areas to prevent the spread of pests.
Am I in any danger of being arrested? I brought some pecan wood last year for folks to smoke meat with. Maybe the statute of limitations is under a year. miles
Getting ready to load some .223 from brass that I think RIO7 gave me a couple of years ago, and I found 9, .204 Ruger mixed in. I think He has one and I will bring those brass for Him, or Whomever is in need. miles
Getting ready to load some .223 from brass that I think RIO7 gave me a couple of years ago, and I found 9, .204 Ruger mixed in. I think He has one and I will bring those brass for Him, or Whomever is in need. miles

Well Scott is bringing an axe and a saw... that ought to be good enough to trim that 204 brass right up there Miles...
Caught a couple... or 75...

Kent

[Linked Image]
Filleting that many looks like work.

Well Scott is bringing an axe and a saw... that ought to be good enough to trim that 204 brass right up there Miles...

I am a fair hand with an axe but not anywhere that good.
Originally Posted by krp
Mr DARBY has issued a chili challenge, anyone wanting to bring some I guess that'll be lunch during saturday's shoot.

I'll make mine AZ style with beans.

Kent

Well, Mr Darbyshire told me how he makes his... WOW, ought to be pretty good. I can't wait.

laugh

Will bring the saw and see what we can do.

Dennis and I will be there a day or two early trying to get things ready. I think both of us are bringing chainsaw also.
Filleting that many looks like work.

[Linked Image]
Well it look like the camp eill be full of cutups.
Looks like if the weather's good we'll be coming on our bikes. Six coming so far. Should be interesting.
Kent, Maddy and I don't have a specific idea for Friday evening meal - will be glad to coop/help with the pulled pork and fish, and provide side dishes, if you want to do that one. Or, we can do that meal ourselves as last year. Just let us know.
Originally Posted by mountainpappa
Looks like if the weather's good we'll be coming on our bikes. Six coming so far. Should be interesting.

Cool!

Kent
Kent, Maddy and I don't have a specific idea for Friday evening meal - will be glad to coop/help with the pulled pork and fish, and provide side dishes, if you want to do that one. Or, we can do that meal ourselves as last year. Just let us know.

I'll cook the pork and we have fish. Others who want to provide side dishes would help greatly.

Not sure Cheryl is coming, her sister and niece will be in town in some capacity for the Dodgers during their Diamondbacks pregame.

Kent

[Linked Image]
Ok - we will help you with the pork and fish and will bring plenty of deviled eggs and at least one other fitting side dish. Would fried taters go with that?
Pork I will precook and fish I'll fry there.

I usually make fried taters with fish, so ya...

I don't like coleslaw but others might.

Kent
Ok, good, we will bring the deviled eggs and some cole slaw as well. Will do the taters on-site.
Am I in any danger of being arrested? I brought some pecan wood last year for folks to smoke meat with. Maybe the statute of limitations is under a year. miles

I saw it still there as people left but it looked awfully clean so I doubt that there was much risk. It was offered to me and if I had the space. I would have taken and used it. grin
Paul, Dennis,

Any updates on the shooting games? Will Jon's Pennsylvania long range tripod be legal for any of the events? If so, which ones? Any more particulars on the DG shoot? Will a bulls bag on a bench be permitted for the long range .22 rimfire shoot and/or the prairie dog shoot?

Thanks!

Did you forget that you brought that from my place?
smile There is more out there BTW smile
Did you forget that you brought that from my place?

I thought you lived in Nevada. Las Vegas. grin miles
You had to detour, but, not that far! smile
Originally Posted by mudhen
Paul, Dennis, Any updates on the shooting games? Will Jon's Pennsylvania long range tripod be legal for any of the events? If so, which ones? Any more particulars on the DG shoot? Will a bulls bag on a bench be permitted for the long range .22 rimfire shoot and/or the prairie dog shoot? Thanks!

No changes from the posted shoot descriptions. I was thinking about a scoring revision on the .22 LR long range shoot to insure that a shooter with a really good group but none in the bull would not lose to a shooter with a lesser group but a flyer in the bull - talked with Dennis - we will leave it as first stated.

Hey, Ben - Jon's big tripod is good for any of the shoots not done from the bench (steel shoot and rimfire turkey shoot) - or a shooter could use it instead of the bench in those "any position" shoots (PD and Long Range .22LR).

Not sure what a "bulls bag" is (maybe I know it by another moniker) but those two shoots done from the bench allow a front rest and rear bag(s) etc. Apparently the layout for the Dangerous Game shoot is going to get designed/arranged on-site once we get there - so - no further particulars there.

Looks like D and I are going to be pretty busy from Thursday afternoon forward with the shooting arrangements and contests. Hoping to be able to concentrate on some good shooting this time.

Hope you all are getting ready - there are some good challenges waiting.
Plan on a total of 6 in my crew this year (2 adults & 4 kids). We'll arrive with Mudhen sometime on Thursday (assuming dad will let us stay with him Wednesday night). wink

Plan to put us to work in the set up process.

I'll bring a couple of different dessert options. Let us know if there is anything else we can bring.

Donelle
Donelle, this is fine news. It will be very good to see you and yours again. Safe travels.
For those who might be interested, the Louis L'Amour western novels are set in various locations throughout the West.

"Flint," which has been reissued in paperback, is set in the area around Quemado/ Armijo Springs and points north, mainly the Malpais Lava Beds off Route 40 along Route 117, and ranches to its south.

That is the route I took last year and it was a spectacular area. The map in the front of the book is of course missing all the current names, but one can certainly figure out where everything is.

Presumably the time period of the book was the 1880s, since the railroads had been built west of Santa Fe. Paul or Ben could likely say much more about the area.
Anjin,

Have you seen the latest book on the Lost Adam's diggings???

Interesting!
Anjin,

Interesting!

Where can it be found and what is it titled?
Most is here Scott.

http://www.frontiershadows.com

It's a neat story, dunno if I'd shell out for the book. But is is still interesting. Heck even if it is all BS.
Anjin,

Interesting!

I did not know about it, but I will have to check it out.

When I was a child in Toledo, OH I lucked into a small nearby school library (Ottawa Hills) with a big collection of adventure, hunting and exploration books, one of which was J. Frank Dobie's Apache Gold and Yaqui Silver. I have not read it for over 60 years, but it made an impression. I will have to chase down a copy of that, too!
Used to drive by Dobie's old house on 24th street everyday going to work. Knew an old geezer when I was a kid who was serious about the old Jim Bowie's alleged silver mine up around Menard!!!

He claimed that his camp was "visited" one evening by the ghosts of Spanish Conquistadors who told him where to look!!! LOL! I suppose they spoke English! Or he got in the Evan Williams a bit too deep! wink.

That old man was always on the hunt for lost gold!!
I met Mr. Dobie socially a coupe of times when I was an undergrad at UT, thanks to Dr. Wilson Hudson who introduced us. He did not like to talk about either Apache Gold and Yaqui Silver or Coronado's Children as people had pestered him nearly to death for more details about the circumstances and locations of the lost mines about which he wrote.

Dr. Hudson told me that in the late 1930s and early 1940s a caravan of people would form up and follow him whenever he left town on a trip. They hoped that he might have finally figured out where one or more of the forgotten treasures were, and they wanted to be in on the find.
OH CRAP. Well it was fun while it lasted. We left our new cap trailer at the farm as we will begging back in a week. They had a little storm and our daughter sent up pictures. We will be talking to our insurance agent on Monday and see what he says. This does not mean we will not make it but it may not be what we planned.

[Linked Image][/URL[URL=http://s721.photobucket.com/user/compassrosefarms/media/IMG_3218_zpsl5ugyziw.jpg.html][Linked Image][/URL[URL=http://s721.photobucket.com/user/compassrosefarms/media/IMG_3215-2_zpskfeymr1u.jpg.html][Linked Image]
OH No Scott.

I hate it when things like this happen.

Sure hope that the insurance can make a quick resolve and that you're happy with the results.

Keep us updated.

Jeff
Ouch!!!!! Sorry for that misfortune Scott. But like you said, hope you can still make it!
Scott - I am very sorry about that - knowing that you were enjoying the trailer so much and looking forward to using it down here in July. But, maybe not as bad as it looks - as we've been through some similar events. Those skylights are screwed on so maybe replacement units, good sealer and some effort will get it tight again. Those folded screen items under the skylights - can't see what they are or do - but maybe not too difficult to replace if the mfr. or a big supplier has them.

The bigger issue may be water damage inside. Did you suffer that? And PLEASE tell me that vertical limb stump has not pierced the roof. If it has, that will take a big cork stopper.

You are a resourceful guy - you will shape this thing up and be on the road.

Yep, it went through and left a nice hole. Not much water at least that is what we were told. We are headed up Sunday or Monday a weed from now. May now more then.
As much as I want to make it this year, I don't think Michael and I will be there. He has a scout camp at Camp Geronimo the week of 7-2 until 7-9 and with me being out of work due to my shoulder surgery we could barely afford that trip for him. I am back to work as of a couple weeks ago but playing catch up with the bills. Maybe next year, hopefully.

Enjoy the gathering and stay cool. Take a lot of pictures and post them up.
Bear will sure miss Michael.

See you in Arizona next year RR65.
Hope the shoulder heals quickly! We will miss you, and let Michael know that he will be missed as well. Well, maybe not in the shooting contests...
How s the forest looking Paul? Getting any rain yet?
OH OH.... Look Out, I'm getting my taste buds ready. KW's better half may be canning a batch of Chow CHow.

Wifey is trying to get all her stuff together. Gonna build a batch. I hope she can pull it off by herself. Probably gonna wear her out. But she said if it was any good I could take some to Quemado in a few weeks.

She still has some mobility issues.

I picked her some cucumbers out of the garden this past week, and she was able to get two batches of freezer pickles put up by herself!

Report to follow!!

Can't wait to try it. Yum Yum
Hi Thomas - the forest still LOOKS good above ground, but the understory is becoming more dry and brown/brittle by the day. As with all of the SW, our day temps have been well above normal, which is a good rain factor, but no rain since mid-May, and none in sight.

We need some disturbance down southwest on the Mex coast/gulf or southeast in the G of M to send some moisture sweeping this way. We've had a few big puffy clouds yesterday and today, but no heavy darker stuff seems to be brewing. Unless ours circles up around from the G of M, you guys down there will know it is coming before we do.
Originally Posted by Owl
OH OH.... Look Out, I'm getting my taste buds ready. KW's better half may be canning a batch of Chow CHow.

Wifey is trying to get all her stuff together. Gonna build a batch. I hope she can pull it off by herself. Probably gonna wear her out. But she said if it was any good I could take some to Quemado in a few weeks.

She still has some mobility issues.

I picked her some cucumbers out of the garden this past week, and she was able to get two batches of freezer pickles put up by herself!

Report to follow!!

Can't wait to try it. Yum Yum

Well,,, I helped her put up some pickles today. So I hope she can get a batch of how chow ready. I suppose the beating will continue now.

And understand, she ain't the one getting beat! smile

I suppose the beating will continue now.

Glad I'm not the only one that get's in the same predicaments.
Originally Posted by Owl

I suppose the beating will continue now.

Glad I'm not the only one that get's in the same predicaments.

Welcome to my life.
No comment.
Hot and still tonight. Old-timers down here say that it has to get this way for ten days to two weeks before the monsoon rains kick in. That puts it at just about July 4th, and that is just about when they usually do start down here. KOB TV predicted a chance of showers for the Quemado area tomorrow--hope they're right!
Always figured the monsoon rains started around the 4th of July.
I figure the rains always start when I decide to go camping...I'll just have to plan to be there a week early and things should be just fine when the rest of you boys get there....

Murphy's Law...
Well, all of this talk may be a stimulant - am seeing some darker grey formations to the Southwest - and they are looking lower. Have finally gotten some preferred 6.5/06 loads finished and was planning to try them later today - so, yeah, probably going to rain. Let's hope.
Just looked at NWS radar, Paul. Looks like a pretty good cell is building over you and just to the SW. Praying for rain for you guys.

SW Rockies Loop LINK

P.S. You'll have to share the 6.5-'06 loads... grin

Ed
Ed, Is you're work schedule still in conflict with your play schedule ?

Sure would like to see you there at Armijo Springs.

Jeff
^exactly what he said!
Originally Posted by THOMASMAGNUM
^exactly what he said!

Times 3.
Thanks for the info and link, Ed. Wet results would be great.

My sentiments added to the above posts - you will be missed out here a lot more than you could guess.
Owl!

Wifey has been bustin' her buns on that chow chow all afternoon. She's half way thru first batch. I dunno if it's gonna be any good, but the whole
Kitchen smells like grandmaw's used to smell. So I guess that's a good thing!

I went and picked her 4 giant green tomatoes out of the garden a minute ago and helped her run them and an onion thru the processor. Otherwise this is her production! I've been out in the bottom running a chainsaw and an idiot stick.

Prolly bring several jars with me to camp. We'll see!!!!

(Thanking God there ain't any of the devil's veggie BEETS in the stuff!!!)

Bob
Originally Posted by Owl
Ed, Is you're work schedule still in conflict with your play schedule ? Sure would like to see you there at Armijo Springs. Jeff

Unfortunately, yes. I get on a plane at DFW at 07:30 AM, Saturday morning and will be in Seattle for the following seven days.

I would much rather be at Armijo Springs than Seattle.

Thanks for the kind words, gentlemen. I will miss you folks, too. Have a cup of coffee for me.

Ed
We would much rather have you at Armijo Springs, Compadre!!!!!

Gonna miss you!!
Bringing all the accoutrements (Thanks to ScottF, RIO7 and yours truly) to have a pin shoot...

2 tables, double elimination.

Tons of fun

Bring your favorite handgun and have some fun after the "fierce" rifle competitions...

pics from one of the PNW get together shoots not far from ScottF's farm...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Brian. Did a little loading today.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Bring fav handgun!!!!!!

Goodie
[Linked Image]

Here you go Owl! Hope it's fit to eat!
YUM YUM YUM

Lookin Good. You will need to give your sweetheart a big hug from all of us that are going to enjoy the fruits of her labor.

THANK YOU !
Can I bring this?

[Linked Image]

If so how much ammo do I have to load up?

Gotta make sure I've got enough brass for it around here...
Trailer repair is estimated a little over five grand and it is covered by insurance. The bad news they will not get the parts until after we are back home so it will be a tent for us. We will sleep in the car or find a campground for the two nights it takes us to get there.
Hi Thomas - the forest still LOOKS good above ground, but the understory is becoming more dry and brown/brittle by the day. As with all of the SW, our day temps have been well above normal, which is a good rain factor, but no rain since mid-May, and none in sight.

We need some disturbance down southwest on the Mex coast/gulf or southeast in the G of M to send some moisture sweeping this way. We've had a few big puffy clouds yesterday and today, but no heavy darker stuff seems to be brewing. Unless ours circles up around from the G of M, you guys down there will know it is coming before we do.

We had a nice little rainstorm in the Sandia Mountains east of Albuquerque that extended south at least to Edgewood and Tijeras. Unfortunately it lasted only a couple of hours, but it certainly helped in wetting down the Dog Head Fire there.

Hopefully, it is a sign of more to come. smile
Hot and still tonight. Old-timers down here say that it has to get this way for ten days to two weeks before the monsoon rains kick in. That puts it at just about July 4th, and that is just about when they usually do start down here. KOB TV predicted a chance of showers for the Quemado area tomorrow--hope they're right!

++ grin
Radar looks promising this afternoon: https://weather.com/weather/radar/interactive/l/USNM0248:1:US?animation=true&layer=radarConus&zoom=8
Well - the naked rattle-shaking rain dance out on the work deck was exhausting and the elk in the near pasture seemed mystified by all of that - but we are right now (5:45 PM MDT) having a gentle light downfall. Some rumblings continue in the distance, so maybe the output will improve. Let's hope this to be the start of a continuum.
Trailer repair is estimated a little over five grand and it is covered by insurance. The bad news they will not get the parts until after we are back home so it will be a tent for us. We will sleep in the car or find a campground for the two nights it takes us to get there.

Too bad, Scott. I guess timing is everything, huh.
It sure can be but we will make the best of it. Just going to cut way back on what we bring.

Bummer on the timing. I did see a trailer similar to yours for sale in the parking lot of the grocery store yesterday for $1900. If I had the $$$ I would have bought it. I didn't get the phone # and it wasn't there today. frown
We really like ours and look forward to getting it back.
Tell ins you want a loaner for the trip
Tell ins you want a loaner for the trip
Already tried that. If it was a car we would have a loaner but not for a trailer. We are looking into renting something like a teardrop.
Well - the naked rattle-shaking rain dance out on the work deck was exhausting...Let's hope this to be the start of a continuum.

The rain, or the naked rattle-shaking rain dance? eek shocked

Please tell me that you will desist from such activities during the Gathering! laugh

Or, was it Maddy on the work deck????? shocked

Sorry, couldn't resist... grin

Ed
Looking at radar tonight! Looks like a little Moisture around the area!
Ed - had to press all troops into service - so we both were out on the deck shakin' and rattlin' away to the rainmakers. Except for the elk and eagles, there is lots of privacy out here,

Got results too - nice 1/2 hour drizzle to get the pre-monsoon continuum started. Hope the rest of you guys in the SW are doin' your part.
Well - the naked rattle-shaking rain dance out on the work deck was exhausting and the elk in the near pasture seemed mystified by all of that

Dang, who woulda thought...

Now we know what causes the mournful howling of the wolves and coyotes... grin
Old Indian saying:

Success of the rain dance has a lot to do with timing!

Looking forward to seeing everyone again. Will bring lots of drinks for the whole crowd. Strawberry soda seems to be a big hit even though no one admits it.

By the way. Have friend looking for an M1 carbine. If you have one to sell let me know or bring it along.
You guys just keep makin' fun of the rainmaker don't 'ya - but he's savin' 'yer Campfire up here. We got more rain yesterday - good downpour.
That's great news Paul. Glad to hear that you're being blessed with a little moisture.

Jeff
Old Indian saying:

Success of the rain dance has a lot to do with timing!

Looking forward to seeing everyone again. Will bring lots of drinks for the whole crowd. Strawberry soda seems to be a big hit even though no one admits it.

By the way. Have friend looking for an M1 carbine. If you have one to sell let me know or bring it along.

Mark, glad to hear you're going to make it. Looking forward to seeing you and the missus again.
Trailer Update.

Insurance put the repair money in our bank account 4 days after we told them about the trailer damage. But it looks like their estimate was a little off. The said it would require both sections of the roof be replaced but it looks like only the front section is beyond repair. A new window in the back, something I can do myself may be all the back needs. The parts to repair everything have to come from Indiana and after ordering it ill take 6 to 8 weeks to get them. But the best news is If I do a little work cleaning up and removing limbs sticking through the roof then screwing down to pieces of plywood and sealing with some silicone caulk the trailer will be good to go at least for Quemado. It won't be pretty but it will be dry and a good place for two old people to sleep in.

We are at the farm now and have the inside drying out. The weather even has been cooperating. My son will be here tomorrow and after my daughter's wedding Saturday we will have three days to get the trailer road ready.

Quemado, here we come! grin
It will be great to see you again, Scott, and we're all looking forward to meeting your Missus!
It will be great to see you again, Scott, and we're all looking forward to meeting your Missus!

I wish I could meet her. I've never met a real, honest-to-goodness saint (other than my Mother, of course). grin

(Almost forgot, I have met another saint. She's married to Mark Shubert... laugh )

Ed

I wish I could meet her. I've never met a real, honest-to-goodness saint (other than my Mother, of course). grin

(Almost forgot, I have met another saint. She's married to Mark Shubert... laugh )

Ed

I hope your wife does not read this. eek
Sounds like good news on the camper, Scott. Glad that you got it under control.

Ed

For the record, I agree!
She allowed me to wake up this AM with no extra orifices. smile
Hey, Mark, it looks like you might have been getting some rain as well! Hope the radar wasn't lying to us tonight.
We got .6" here in town smile
Not enough to measure out at "The Warden's" back yard frown
Scott - thanks for the good news. Said you were smart and resourceful and was right. If you can make a temp inside/outside sandwich of something durable with caulking between the slices, it should work until you throw that part of the roof away. See you soon.
Looks like some July 4th weekend campers are heading for Armijo Springs. Not to spoil their fun, but would be helpful if it rains all over them - fairly hard - at least from now until July 3rd. 'Twould be nice insurance for our shindig.
Kent (KRP), Since you seem to be in charge of the edibles...

What can I bring to add to the pot-- Bacon, eggs, bread, chips, cokes??? Let me know something.
Oldman03 makes a reminder - soon we will need some organized posts ID'ing who and how many are going to be present, food related stuff folks can bring, and camp-related stuff we may need. Maybe that can be done right after our Independence Day.
I'll go ahead and suggest any drinks that come in a jar grin
I seem to recall sipping something real good that came from a pickle jar.

I am happy to bring whatever I can to help.
That weren't pickle juice - but those were pickled juicers.
Pickle juice was never so good!
For those attending - I am interested buying or trading into a quality blued walnut 22LR sporter - Cooper, Anschutz, Kimber or such - that has potential for Sporter class ARA or IR5050 matches. Am also interested in a 223 sporter and a high-condition 4" S&W Model 19-3 or -4. Have a few good pieces to trade, also 2 1200-round boxes of Hornady 75gr Amax. Would appreciate a PM.
Kent,

I can bring the goods that I already PM'd you about. In addition, I have commercial raw scrambled eggs in a bag. If you're doing anything that requires them, let me know.

They're great anything from scrambled eggs, to French toast, to breakfast casserole.

Also, as Paul has mentioned, maybe we need to get a list started so that we're not tripled up on some items, and short on others.

Let us know just as soon as you can. Also, if you need, I can carry a few extra things over for you. I'll be headed that way on Wednesday before the gathering.

Peggy is going to attend again this year also.

What can I bring to add to the pot-- Bacon, eggs, bread, chips, cokes??? Let me know something.

Originally Posted by Owl
Kent,

I can bring the goods that I already PM'd you about. In addition, I have commercial raw scrambled eggs in a bag. If you're doing anything that requires them, let me know.

They're great anything from scrambled eggs, to French toast, to breakfast casserole.

Also, as Paul has mentioned, maybe we need to get a list started so that we're not tripled up on some items, and short on others.

Let us know just as soon as you can. Also, if you need, I can carry a few extra things over for you. I'll be headed that way on Wednesday before the gathering.

Friday night will be pulled pork and fish, fried potatoes and coleslaw, chili by Joe, myself and whoever wants to make some.

We could use buns.

Breakfasts we could use meat and eggs, a couple loves of bread for french toast. if you are bringing some post here so we will know how many.

Generally we can use flour tortillas, 4 dozen.

Last year we used 14 dozen eggs and 15 lbs of meat, bacon, sausage and ham.

Some hotdogs and buns.

I'll be going up wed or thur and I doubt I'll check here again until then. Mostly I'll supply most of the food for dinners and anything we are short on.

Thanks guys,

Kent

I haven't heard it mentioned but Dennis usually fixes hotcakes/pancakes one morning. I am bringing some of Dannys Maple syrup. I think Joe has some too, but don't know if He plans to share. grin miles
Thanks for outing me, Miles. Okay, I'll bring mine too... smirk
Thanks for outing me, Miles.

Well, you know how many people can keep a secret, don't you? 1 miles
OKAY - WE NEED PLANNING INFO for more than one aspect, so let's get the headcount and likely arrival time started.

Like this:

CCCC in camp starting Wednesday afternoon - wife Friday and Saturday evenings.

Please chime in.
Stephen, Gianna, and myself will be there Friday late afternoon or early evening.
Elkhunternm,Friday evening or most likely Saturday morning. If work don't get in the way.
Can't say for sure when I will get there. Early week, probably. miles
Leaving late Monday night. Arrival Tuesday afternoon.

I'm sure there may be some foodstuff that survives till the weekend I can bring like last year like Bacon, bread, snacking items, etc.
Looks like early in the week...
We plan to leave on the 8th and make a slow trip. Our daughter married a good man yesterday ant while my son is here at the farm I will make good use of the help to patch up the camper.
Got the tables made for the bowling pin shoot...

[Linked Image]

Should fit on the car with a couple ratchet straps and will be ready to go... grin

[Linked Image]
Good job! Bet they won't look that good when we get done.
Alan, Mike, and I should be in early in the week, Tues. most likely.
Marcia and I planning to arrive Wednesday afternoon. Will bring a couple ice chests of cold drinks including water, sodas and red soda pop.
Thanks for the replies - others keep 'em coming please.
A lot of us were hoping Ivan would bring down some of his Hutterite eggs.
Peggy and I will be arriving on Wednesday.

I'll bring at least 5lbs of bacon, and a ham too. 2 Bags of scrambled eggs (thats about 10 dozen).

I'll also bring a few bottles of assorted hot sauce.

I think that I will make a Mexican style coleslaw, just for variety. Cabbage, green onions, olives, jalapeños, queso fresco, cilantro, salt and lime.

Kent, please call me if you need help with anything at all.
480-720-7908
Originally Posted by DARBY

Ivan, if you're reading, many more prayers and blessings! Would be a GRAND occasion if you're able to attend.

Jeff
Got the tables made for the bowling pin shoot...

[Linked Image]

Should fit on the car with a couple ratchet straps and will be ready to go... grin

[Linked Image]
Good job! Bet they won't look that good when we get done.

Humm... Maybe we ought to have dinner on them before they're used as targets whistle grin

It is more fun to try to eat on them after the shoot. It is a real test of skill see if you can find a place flat enough to safely set a coffee cup.

And I do wish I could! I am half way thru the first round of radiation and chemo and doctor is talking transfusion as my red count was too low last Tuesday for them to feel good about chemo that day. Tomorrow will tell the tale.

Ya'll have lots of fun!
Originally Posted by Owl

Ivan, if you're reading, many more prayers and blessings! Would be a GRAND occasion if you're able to attend.

Jeff

Thank you, Jeff. That's what I need the most of.
Originally Posted by Owl

Jeff

Thank you, Jeff. That's what I need the most of.

You have mine, too!
From here, also!
Wish you could make it!
I think without question ALL of our Prayers will include you Ivan....Good health from all of us to you...

I don't think I am out of line speaking for all of us...

I'll set a plate in your honor at each meal... just so we are reminded that you are there with us in spirit ( it just won't be the same without you) and we are all with you in spirit also...

Hang in there My Friend... you have 50 plus people pulling for you.... I'm sure the Good Lord can't miss that...
I will remind you John. There will prayers from me also and since there are a bunch of us with faith coming I am sure we can gather and lift you up as a group.
The camper is as fixed as we can get it for now. Holes are covered with plywood, glued, scrwd, and caulked. We lav the farm for home tomorrow, have Dr. appoint on Wednesday, oil change Thursday, and with luck will leave on Friday.

Kent, can you give me a list of what we card bring to add to the feeding of the troupes and we will pick it up on the way.
I will remind you John. There will prayers from me also and since there are a bunch of us with faith coming I am sure we can gather and lift you up as a group.

Even though I won't be there in person, please include me in that group.

Ed

Even though I won't be there in person, please include me in that group.

Ed

Count on it.
I really can't say thank you enough to all you fellows. Prayer works amazing things.
Save your thanks for next year and deliver them in person.

ED
I'll be trying my best, Ed! See ya then.
Wish I could make it this year, gents, but I have too much going on at work. Hope you all have a fine time!
Patrick,

You and Leonard will be missed!!
Patrick,

You and Leonard will be missed!!

Yes they will be missed.
Patrick, while we do understand that life get's in the way sometimes, you will be missed.

Question to the group. Are we going to try to have a 2017 Texas or someplace east of NM gather this spring?

If not, please advise. I think that I'd like to get my name of the list of alternates for the Texas Hog Hunt in March 2017 if we're not meeting at Ed's or some other location.

Jeff
Looks like I wont be able to make it there until friday afternoon. My boss is going to be out of work and I'll be at the helm for the week.
Just found out today that Alan wont be able to make the trip. Mike and I will be there as planned. unless something unexpected happens.

Just found out today that Alan wont be able to make the trip. Mike and I will be there as planned. unless something unexpected happens.

We'll be looking for your Randy - any chance that Jo will grace our camp as well?
I really can't say thank you enough to all you fellows. Prayer works amazing things.

At first glance, I thought you wrote "felons" -
and thought "Man - he's got us pegged!" smile

Well Randy, Alan will be missed. Give him our best.

Jeff

At first glance, I thought you wrote "felons" -
and thought "Man - he's got us pegged!" smile

Yeah, I really just didn't want to come right out and say it so thanks for the help, Mark! whistle
The shoe fits. grin

Well Randy, that is disheartening news... give him our best..

on the plus side, I know everyone enjoys my wife, more than they enjoy her husband... whistle.... however with work, Judie was going to be unable to make it....

HOWEVER, she has also maxed out her vacation alottment, which means she is going to HAVE to take some vacation....

I was going to plan on rolling into Quemado on Tuesday, leaving like Sunday afternoon....

to be there early, I am going to have to leave without the wife, who isn't out of work on vacation until Wednesday..... but with a check air fare ticket via Kayak, she is going to be flying into Albuquerque Wednesday afternoon...

So I run down there from camp and pick her up at the airport Wednesday afternoon....

and then we'll drive home together....

So the better half of the Seafire duo will be there, along with the worst half....

Still wish Alan could make it tho.... and Ivan and Patrick, and Ed 2ManyLetters etc....

these gatherings are almost like a family reunion, but with Relatives YOU ACTUALLY LIKE!

We'll be looking for your Randy - any chance that Jo will grace our camp as well?

Naw, Jo cant make it, she's working.

"these gatherings are almost like a family reunion, but with Relatives YOU ACTUALLY LIKE!"

John, I have heard said that you can choose your friends but not your relatives. Right on!
Looks like I wont be able to make it there until friday afternoon. My boss is going to be out of work and I'll be at the helm for the week.
Good to know you're just as responsible at work as you are elsewhere. Just try to get here in time for dinner.
I will not be making it this year. I will be working swing shift while you all are there. Yay for new work schedules.
You will be missed!
Picked up plates, table ware, napkins, hot cups, and paper towels today. Packing tonight and leaving in the morning. Saturday all day will be spent with our son in Caldwell, IISthen it is back on the road Sunday. We will get there when we get there as we like to poke around.
Have a safe trip Scott.
Will do. See you there.
Scott, enjoy the journey with your better half.
On my way, currently in Western Oklahoma about to enter Texas. In no particular hurry, so if something catches my interest, I will stop for a look. I will be checking in every once in a while, so tell me what to bring. miles
Travel safe Miles. See you Tuesday afternoon.

Same t you Scott!
Safe travels friends!
On my way, currently in Western Oklahoma about to enter Texas. In no particular hurry, so if something catches my interest, I will stop for a look. I will be checking in every once in a while, so tell me what to bring. miles

Must be coming along the route of the old Santa Fe Trail, which has a lot of fascinating history and even the Philmont Scout Ranch, where my cowboy action shooting gunsmith gives lessons. grin
Originally Posted by krp

Originally Posted by Owl
Kent,

Friday night will be pulled pork and fish, fried potatoes and coleslaw, chili by Joe, myself and whoever wants to make some.

We could use buns.

Breakfasts we could use meat and eggs, a couple loves of bread for french toast. if you are bringing some post here so we will know how many.

Generally we can use flour tortillas, 4 dozen.

Last year we used 14 dozen eggs and 15 lbs of meat, bacon, sausage and ham.

Some hotdogs and buns.

I'll be going up wed or thur and I doubt I'll check here again until then. Mostly I'll supply most of the food for dinners and anything we are short on.

Thanks guys,

Kent

Kent
i kind of waited to see how it would shape up. I will bring up some hot dog buns, eggs, and some sausage.
Packing the truck and headed to S. La., this afternoon, to pick up a friend, that is coming to Quemado. Will load his stuff tomorrow, make a trip to the grocery store and stock up, then leave early Sun. morning, from his place. If all goes according to plans, will be at the campsite sometime Tues. morning.

Everyone travel safe... see yall in a few days!

Thats too bad, I was hoping we could go on another 'shine fueled rescue mission to looking for a person thought be be stuck back in the forest.
I 84 east bound almost to Pendelton. Sunny with some high clouds and 81 degrees. See you all soon.
Interesting to see you guys on the road already and arriving so early - well, it is a beautiful place. By now, the forest is looking good and the campground was empty today when the grandkids went through on a geo-caching adventure. So, enjoy, but don't wear yourselves out befor the rest of the raggedy troop arrives.

Kent - based on replies to date, what do you make for headcount? Are we ready to post the food/related "needs" list?

Always hoping that we have enough rope for tarps/covers, etc.. If someone brings a couple of hundred feet of light/strong rope it will be good insurance.

Looking forward to a great gathering.
Paul,

me and my wife will be there... as far as rope, would clothes line work, or do we need something a hair stronger...

I'm sure we won't be dealing with the tornado type weather we had at Ed's place in Texas, where Miles and my pop up shelters were essential turned into pretzels....

Let me know what type of rope to pick up.....and if 200 to 250 feet will work....

I'm leaving Sunday Morning... two days down..
I have a couple of rolls of paracord in the camper. Will that help?
I have some mule tape that I'm bringing. Peggy and I will be arriving Wednesday afternoon.

Jeff
Hey guys - good stuff. The loads are not heavy - will just need a center line or two and need to tie down/out some tarp corners, etc. I'm thinking that the paracord, mule tape and clothesline you've mentioned should meet the needs quite well. Thanks much.
Paul, I also have some rope, mule tape and various sizes of tarps. This will be close to you last chance to order anything from me. miles
Getting loaded up and headed north in the morning, I have bowling pins, orange target balls, and a couple of steel pistol targets, a steel pig, turkey, 10"x10" swing plate, for rifles like we had last year, and a hell of a big heavy box of Brass, will buy food some where along the way, will bring lots of bottled water and some soft drinks. Hope to see everyone in a couple of days. Rio7
Travel safe Blue! No reenactments of last year's escapade in Menard county!! laugh
Miles - thank you for this. Am thinking that, with your assist, we are now good with such equipment needs. I will be in camp to set up larger shelters and other aspects starting on Thursday afternoon sometime. Travel safe - see you soon.
I am so looking forward to that morning coffee time with you my friend. I need Mt Blue fix. grin
Paul, and other that live and camp at high altitude, a question. When you cook pinto beans, can you just put a rock on the lid to give it some pressure? miles
Scott, You can be sure I will have the coffee on first thing in the morning,looking forward to meeting your better half,

Miles, Forget the Damn Beans! we are coming to N.M. for some

cool fresh mountain air, I will make you a ham sandwich.

Bob, I ain't startin no fires this year, bringing my little white trailer, looking forward to sharing the fire and coffee. Blue
Paul, and other that live and camp at high altitude, a question. When you cook pinto beans, can you just put a rock on the lid to give it some pressure? miles

Miles, up this high the rock can help a bit - maybe increase the AP by a smidge of merc. - but those in a hurry use a pressure cooker.

If 'yer in camp with only a rock, sitting 'yerself right down on the lid for about 30 minutes is probably the best bet. Knew a guy that made his fulsome wife set like that - beans came out great but they are now divorced.

I have the butt end of a Cooks Ham, that I am fixing to work on in just a few minutes. Make me a Ham steak. You can buy both ends of them cheap,as they cut the center into ham steaks and market them to restaurants and such. You can cut some decent ones that are not quite as pretty, and good pieces for a ham sandwich, and a bone for beans, all cheap. miles
Will be leaving tomorrow morning.. two days there...maybe til Tuesday if I dally...

went down to HoMo DePo and picked up some clothes line and some rope.... also the store and picked up some of our locally available beers for you NON Pacific Northwesterners to try if ya so desire...

Will check this out later to see if anything more than might be needed before I hit the highway.... there's a lot of nothingness between here and there and I don't do fancy mobil phones, or wifi on the road....

I do have a bucket of tent stakes etc, that I'll be bringing left over from my Boy Scout Troop's days....also someone let me know if larger camp pots might come in handy...

also have some big metal pans for washing dishes in, and also bringing a container of dinner ware that Wally World carries.... they are left over and unopened from another event the family took part in...

Extra camp chairs needed or are we good?
I've got my dish washing stuff packed too!

Miles for them evenings we have to do our own cooking, I can do elk spagetti, jambalaya, red beans and rice, whatever. Not like we gonna starve. We can do our usual pot luck stuff. That was good last year.

As far as beans go, hell, there's plenty of good cheap canned beans that are my mainstay!!! I'll prolly have several cans of Bush and several cans of charro beans available if needed.

Also bringing several jars of pig trotters for snackin' !!!! Mmmmmm!
I have canned beans, but on an impulse I bought a sack of Pinto's while at the store. miles
I have the butt end of a Cooks Ham, that I am fixing to work on in just a few minutes

I dis-remembered, it is the shank end. I have it sliced up, but my camera battery died. miles
whistle

I have canned beans, but on an impulse I bought a sack of Pinto's while at the store. miles

They will cook just fine, Miles!!!!
You guy's are going to get us reported to the EPA!! Blue
I dis-remembered, it is the shank end. I have it sliced up, but my camera battery died.

3 good ham steaks, one of which I will cook for supper along with the 2 other large chunks. Lots of sandwich meat or to cook with eggs for breakfast.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Damn Miles! Between you, Kent, Dennis, et al, we all gonna die of gluttony!!! I can't wait!!!!
Miles,You got damn near the whole pig, sure looks good put a rock on the beans I'm on my way. Blue
Well my 9.3x57 is ready to go, and tomorrow I'll load some rounds for my Brenneke. I'll have to see what else I am going to bring. Likely my 450/400 Nitro
[Linked Image]
Cheryl and I plan on being there wed, so we will figure some meals out for the short crew.

Otherwise fri/sat is set for pulled pork/fried fish and Az-mex. Anyone want to bring a dish/dessert for either go ahead.

I'm working long shifts till tue and can't check here often, guys bringing breakfast stuff organize between yourselves.

Thanks,

Kent

Will do Kent! Travel safe!

Nice looking Husqy, Thomas!!!
Looking forward to seeing all of you reprobates!
"The Warden" and I are planning on being there.
We're both hoping that nothing else falls apart in the meantime, and are hoping there's still room for the trailer when we arrive smile
Looks to be quite a turn-out, this time around.
Peggy and I are leaving Phoenix Wednesday morning. We're going to be stopping at Trail Riders Cafe in Eagar, AZ for lunch, and then continue on to Armijo Springs.

Dinner plans for Wednesday evening? Meal plans for Thursday?

I was going to do some beans too, but sounds like miles has that under control.

I was thinking I might cook up of pot of Chili Verde for Thursday evening. Any thoughts ?

Let us know so that we can put together some sort of meal plan together.

I too was planning on bring lots-o-water bottles. I'll bring some large drum liners for trash also.

Kent, as for breakfast things, you count on me for at least 5lbs of bacon, and a ham too. Also, as mentioned, I'll bring up the bags of scrambled eggs, and a few dozen regular eggs.

Also, I was thinking of trying my hand at biscuits and gravy for breakfast on Thursday. Any thoughts ???

OK guys, I know that a few of you are leaving in the morning. I'm hoping that you're reading this tonight and responding with your thoughts and ideas.

Safe travels and ¡Vaya con Dios!

See you soon,

Jeff

Didn't get an answer from anyone re extra camp chairs, so I'll just assume might as well throw the extra ones I've got into the trailer.

As far as food from like Tuesday to Friday...

do I need to pack a camp stove, are we on our own?
as Kent said, we always seem to have too much food...

do we need propane to be brought? Have several 5 and 7 pounders can take with...

More than willing to pick up anything else needed, but some input instead of me guessing would help out a little.

Figure I'll be there Monday evening or some time during Tuesday if I stop at points of interest.. will bring the camera for 'action shots'...
John - very thoughtful on your part, but I'm not the guy to speak about food needs, especially Tuesday through Friday. Maybe others will chime in tonight.

It is probably a good idea to bring a couple extra of the camp chairs - some of us forget to bring ours at times.

Please check with Kent on the extra propane tank - if we are going to use a big outdoor gas cooker beyond the range/oven in his camper, we may need that tankful.

Thanks again.
Also, I was thinking of trying my hand at biscuits and gravy for breakfast on Thursday. Any thoughts ???

I like biscuits and gravy. miles
I think that I have 4 chairs. Before the jokes start, I only use one at a time. miles
I'll be there wed afternoon barring difficulties.

I figured on bringing ribeyes for wife and I one meal and playing it by ear on the other.

I will have multiple stoves, dutch ovens, pans, gas tanks, a small gas weber... a chit load. We can make any combination of meals we want with what I have.

I did figure bisciuts and gravy for one short crew breakfast.

Otherwise I have enough on my plate fri/sat to make plans the other nights. I'll cook and we can add it all together, but I don't want to be involved with pre-planning.

Again, I have everything to cook about anything you guys come up with.

And yes bring chairs and your own coffee cup.

Kent

As far as food from like Tuesday to Friday...

do I need to pack a camp stove, are we on our own?
as Kent said, we always seem to have too much food...

do we need propane to be brought? Have several 5 and 7 pounders can take with...

More than willing to pick up anything else needed, but some input instead of me guessing would help out a little.

Figure I'll be there Monday evening or some time during Tuesday if I stop at points of interest.. will bring the camera for 'action shots'...
we should be there Wednesday and have a fairy large two burner and an extra ta k. It will be open for use to whoever needs it.
Leaving Caldwell in the morning and should be south is SSECby end of day.
I'll have 3 or 4 tanks besides the 5th wheel and hoses, don't bring gas from far away... do all your farting at home...

Kent
And that means you Bob...

Kent
Picked up some ratchet straps today, will load the pin tables on top of the car and leave monday after an appointment.

Gonna look like a gypsy goin on down the road. whistle

And..

yes bringin bacon wink
The grapes of wrath...

Kent
Again, I have everything to cook about anything you guys come up with.

I have propane and a couple of burners, small webber grill, and a big skillet to cook bacon in. Also have a smaller griddle that would fit across a couple of burners like on a coleman stove. A couple of non stick skillets to cook eggs in. Pots for boiling water to wash up or cook in. Hell, I don't know what all I have, or forgot. miles
If anyone coming down I25 needs a place to lay over - give us a call!

505-617-1342
Scott, You can be sure I will have the coffee on first thing in the morning,looking forward to meeting your better half,

Bob, I ain't startin no fires this year, bringing my little white trailer, looking forward to sharing the fire and coffee. Blue

In that case maybe you should show up at our place for coffee. There is plenty of room when we put up the extra room that attached to our trailer.
Originally Posted by krp
And that means you Bob...

Kent

What??? What did I do???? I'm innocent I tell you!!! I was framed!!!
Picked up some ratchet straps today, will load the pin tables on top of the car and leave monday after an appointment.

Gonna look like a gypsy goin on down the road. whistle

And..

yes bringin bacon wink

The Joads are leaving for Californie!!!!!
I'll be there Thursday mid-day.

Is there anyone who grew up in the south that doesn't like Biscuits and Gravy?

If so, I never met 'em....
I told David, aka Paladin, that if I came I'd probably just show up unannounced, since I wouldn't know until the last minute whether I could make it. Peg has a Dr. appt Friday so that meant coming alone and I didn't want to pull a trailer all that way just for me, so I was just gonna come in my little Ford Escape and rough it.

But..... this morning when I was naming the folks who would be there, and I got to Blue's name, she blurted out;"I can reschedule my app't".

Y'all have to help me keep an eye on them two.

We will bring the bigger bumper pull [34 feet] since I've got the smaller one tore apart for repairs. I'd like to park near the campsite, but if there isn't room I guess we can park at the R V park at the lake.

I'm thinking we will overnite in Capitan Thursday and show up Friday evening. If y'all have ate up all the groceries by then, you can call me with a list of what's needed. I've got a little dab of Antelope in the freezer I may grind up for a little pot of chili after we get there.

940 232 0191.
Great news. I have bee wanting to shake your hand for years.
Starting to shape up into quite a fandango!!!!
Gene - sure glad that you are coming back - your last time was good for us. From Capitan to camp is probably 4.5 hours pulling a big trailer. There WILL be room for your trailer on site.

WHICH REMINDS - there will be one place set aside for KRP's (Kent's) trailer to be backed in at the end of the long canopy - makes it much more conveneient in that he and Cheryl do so much cooking work for us.

AND - we really need to make all trailer/tent/etc. sites on the Campground (west) side of the road to keep the east side safe/open for all of the shooting activities.

One more shooting info post - probably tomorrow - maybe this evening.

Looks like there will be lots of oldfarthelp already on site when we go to putting up big covers. That's good.
Doin' the checklist...

Got a full tank of gas

cooler full of bacon

and a fistful of cigars

hit it...

Well, if its 8 AM, I am on schedule...

packing up was fitting 10 lbs of crap into a 2 pound box, but FINALLY Loaded up....

takin a shower and hitting the road...

Looks like Brian and I had the same thing in mind...

Tank Full of Gas, SunGlasses, its almost dark...

1300 Miles to Quemado...

Hit it...

but then: a little more appropriate whistle

Yeah Thats the ticket!

grin

Damn Gene! Really Glad you're going to make this one...

Now if Ed 2ManyLetters Gig canceled and he showed up...

we'd be stylin...
Gene, don't park under any oak trees, ok?
Or alders! Thankfully I don't thing there any of either for a lot on miles.

Cooking dinner just south of Provo.
My young daughter and I are planning to attend. my dutch oven is in storage - if anyone's bringing one, we can bring ingredients for an apple cobbler.

Anything else we can bring?
Wish we would have known, we have five at home but that is two days in the wrong direction.
Wish we would have known, we have five at home but that is two days in the wrong direction.

Thanks Scott. I may be able to rig up some kind of double-boiler contraption, but I imagine someone will have a dutch oven out there.
- Kevin
KRP, Kent usually has one or more with him...
Good deal. I'll also bring snacks, i.e granola bars, trail mix, sandwich stuff, eggs, tortillas, etc... & a small amount of high-quality hooch.
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Good deal. I'll also bring snacks, i.e granola bars, trail mix, sandwich stuff, eggs, tortillas, etc... & a small amount of high-quality hooch.
You just made a bunch of friends! grin
You just made a bunch of friends! grin

Bingo!
I have two dutch ovens, only time they are spoken for is saturday evening enchiladas... otherwise they are up for grabs.

Kent
Made the machaca today...

[Linked Image]

Thanks Scott. I may be able to rig up some kind of double-boiler contraption, but I imagine someone will have a dutch oven out there.
- Kevin

I have four or five..... if one is not too rusty I'll bring it.

I've also got 5 or 6 pounds of catfish filets leftover from a fish fry a couple weeks ago which I'll throw in for Friday night.

I have David [Paladin] on speed dial and I'll check with him when we come thru Roswell to see if we need to pick up any last minute items.
Gene - is Paladin planning to get to the gathering? As far as I know, we have not heard a peep from him on this thread.

Kent - are you able to have a good headcount from replies so far?
About 40 but better count on 50 plus like last year.

Kent
I will have a big cooler full of water, some soda that everyone is welcome to. I'm planning on bringing shareable snack stuff too.

The kid and I will be there Friday evening. The time will depend on when I am able to get away from the office.

with grandkids and others coming in over the last week or so, l think biscuits and gravy were an addendum for breakfast a half dozen times, nobody complained.
While camping, I used to make biscuits out of self-rising flour and then fried them in bacon grease. Not pretty or flaky by any means, but they were fairly tasty. I imagine you could probably make more conventional biscuits in a dutch oven, but I've never tried it.

My daughter and I will probably be there on Saturday around noon (or a bit after lunchtime) and we'll likely depart on Monday in the late AM.

Gene - is Paladin planning to get to the gathering? As far as I know, we have not heard a peep from him on this thread.

He called a couple weeks ago and said he was planning on making it. I haven't heard since then. I'll call him.
Originally Posted by curdog4570

He called a couple weeks ago and said he was planning on making it. I haven't heard since then. I'll call him.

Hello all and Paul,

Still not 100%, but maybe 90% sure I'll be there at this point. Have held off saying anything due to uncertainties.

Let me know what is needed or if there is anything anyone hasn't spoken for. Otherwise I'll pitch in money to the kitty.

I believe my sister Nancy and her husband Pat will attend a day or two and they also need to know what to bring.

I'll be bringing a .416 Howell and the .470 NE for big bores.

Hope to be there.

David

David, I hauled an old A/Cond unit to the scrap yard last week and discovered brass is bringing top dollar. Them big cartridges ought to weigh out a right smart so don't worry about "policing the range". grin
Thanks, Kent, and given the late news coming in from some folks, I think your 50 number is wise.

For all - looks like Dennis and I may have run up against a need for the Dangerous Game shoot. We are hoping/planning to have an incoming target rigged on something like a zip line. Up here I don't have a strong line or small cable long enough for the job (needs to be stretched fairly tight, I think) - probably at least 200 feet without a knot or joint. If anyone has or can get and bring such a line (maybe 1/4 or 5/16 dia.) it may help us have a fun shoot. If not possible, don't worry it - we will try to rig something to make it all work.
FWIW, I went through the entire thread last night and came up with 37 confirmed--now 38 with David.
Well,it depends on when I can get canal water for hay and corn. So count me as a definite maybe. Will let you guys know later this week.
Ben, are you bringing green chili burros?

Kent
Thanks, Kent, and given the late news coming in from some folks, I think your 50 number is wise.

For all - looks like Dennis and I may have run up against a need for the Dangerous Game shoot. We are hoping/planning to have an incoming target rigged on something like a zip line. Up here I don't have a strong line or small cable long enough for the job (needs to be stretched fairly tight, I think) - probably at least 200 feet without a knot or joint. If anyone has or can get and bring such a line (maybe 1/4 or 5/16 dia.) it may help us have a fun shoot. If not possible, don't worry it - we will try to rig something to make it all work.

Dennis & Paul,

I have some fairly large aluminum pulleys used for stringing power lines. Let me know if you want me to bring them. I'm sure that you could rig up some sort of attachment for the DG shoot.

Originally Posted by RoninPhx

with grandkids and others coming in over the last week or so, l think biscuits and gravy were an addendum for breakfast a half dozen times, nobody complained.

All:
I'll plan cooking on biscuits and sausage gravy for Thursday morning breakfast. I'll probably bake the biscuits at home Tuesday evening. Just heat them Thursday morning.

Have any of you ever had egg gravy? Same as sausage gravy except made with scrambled eggs. Was a Mormon pioneer staple. I grew up on the stuff. Maybe I'll make a separate batch for ya'll to try.

For those of you that don't like sausage gravy, bring some home made jams, jellies or such.

OK, off to the market for a few supplies.

Kent, please call me when you have a minute. Maybe we could travel together. I'm going to be pulling a trailer also. Could be of help to each other in case of some sort of road trouble like a flat tire. 480-720-7908.

Jeff
David, I hauled an old A/Cond unit to the scrap yard last week and discovered brass is bringing top dollar. Them big cartridges ought to weigh out a right smart so don't worry about "policing the range". grin

At $3 apiece for empties there's no worries about policing the range. I'll hunt all of them down.

OK Guys and Gals - when we try to set up these organized shoots in first class form, thy can gobble up quite a bit of time/energy and sometimes we need to revise. So, here is the latest and (we hope) final poop sheet on the shooting events.

ARMIJO SPRINGS, NEW MEXICO SUMMER 2016 CAMPFIRE GATHERING

Organized Shoot Events – REVISED/ADDED INFORMATION

Friday 3:30 pm – Turkey Rimfire Tune-up Shoot (revised start time)
Shooters may use any rim fire sporting rifle with open or aperture sights (no scope or lighted lens sights) from any hunting position, but not from a bench or stationary rest. Sitting, prone, free-standing shooting sticks, tripod, etc. are OK. Once at the firing line, total time allowed is 4 minutes. Target will be a reduced-size picture of a turkey at approximately 30 yards, with a colored dot at a vital place. Smallest 5 shot group having at least one shot within the dot scores highest. There may be second and third place winners.

FRIDAY EVENING COMPETITION SHOOT (revised start time)
6:00 pm – Long Range .22 Rimfire Shoot

(Note: because the challenge level for this shoot rises significantly with wind effects, we planned to take advantage of the normal wind “die down” toward sunset – but recently the breezes have continued until after dark. So, the start time has been moved later with some hope – and some wind flags.)

Shooters may use any .22 Rimfire sporting rifle, any sights and shoot from any position. Total time allowed once at the firing spot is 5 minutes. Shooters will fire five shots at an appropriately sized orange circle at a distance of approximately 150 yards. The shooter firing the smallest 5 shot group having at least one shot within the orange circle scores highest. There may be second and third place winners. Shooting bags are not provided. If you plan to use bags, please be prepared with your own.

8:30 am - Prairie Dog Shoot (revised start time)

Shooters may use any sporting firearm, any sights, and shoot from any position. Total time allowed once at the firing spot is 3 minutes. Shooters will fire one shot from a cold barrel at a simulated PD with 1/2" dot on chest at a distance of approximately 200 yards. Shot closest to the center of the dot is the winner. There may be second and third place winners. Shooting bags are not provided. If you plan to use bags, please be prepared with your own.

This will be a 6 SHOT match where multiple steel targets of different sizes and at different ranges will be engaged. Scoring is based on the color of the targets. There will be three colors worth 10, 8 and 5 points. Highest point total wins. Match must be shot from a field position (no bench rest). Bags, shooting sticks, bipods, tall tripods are allowed. Adjustable tripod style front bench rests are not allowed. Rifle can be any caliber but is limited to a case capacity similar to a 30-06 (to save the steel). No AP bullets allowed. Rifle must be a sporting rifle, not a match rifle. No sight restrictions. Total time allowed once at the firing line is 6 minutes.

1:00 pm - Dangerous Game Shoot (revised yardage)
This match will involve a moving target at less than 75 yards. There will be a total of 3 shots available. Rifle must be a legitimate dangerous game type rifle. Minimum caliber is 9.3mm. Minimum energy is 3600 lbs-ft. (9.3x62 full power loads) No reduced loads in larger calibers. Shooters must use open or aperture sights - no scopes. Action can be bolt, double or single shot. No lever actions. 45-70s, 405 Winchesters do not qualify. This is a work in progress and will be tweaked as we set up the range.

KEN HOWELL REMEMBRANCE

Ken always did his best to visit us during these summer gatherings, at least for an afternoon or so. It seems fitting, due to his recent passing, that we do something special this summer in remembrance. Following on a great suggestion by one of our loyal and long-distance participants, you are encouraged to bring any Howell rifle – chambered in one of his cartridges and/or one of his many gifts to Campfire folks – to show and share for shooting by others. Bring ammo too. At a later time we will announce just when during the weekend this activity will be featured.

NOTE REGARDING ANY TOP PRIZE AWARDS
We hope to be able to award some significant first prizes for the competition shoots. Of course, ALL attendees are welcomed and encouraged to shoot for score and recognition – but award of any actual prizes for the top performer in any competitive shoot will be limited to persons, or family members of persons, who are registered and participating members of the Campfire at the time of this posting (early evening, July 11, 2016)
Originally Posted by krp
Ben, are you bringing green chili burros?

Kent
Yes!
Ben, you want to shoot my 204 Ruger you won the P D shoot with last time I came? I think you were the last one to shoot it since I haven't been to a dog town since.

I'll bring it and some ammo.
Originally Posted by Owl

Kent, please call me when you have a minute. Maybe we could travel together. I'm going to be pulling a trailer also. Could be of help to each other in case of some sort of road trouble like a flat tire. 480-720-7908.

Jeff

Sounds good, I plan on leaving around 9am to get up there and setup at a decent time. Also I go through Payson, I won't pull my trailer through Salt river canyon.

Kent
Ben, you want to shoot my 204 Ruger you won the P D shoot with last time I came? I think you were the last one to shoot it since I haven't been to a dog town since.

I'll bring it and some ammo.
Gene, thanks for thinking of me. If you're OK with that, I will do it. The rifle and loads that I have been trying to get to shoot aren't cooperating for me. Besides, I don't think that I have ever won a shoot with one of my rifles--just yours and Paul's. grin
Done deal. If I shoot at all it will be with my 244 A I.

We have had a 30-40 mph South wind - night and day - for about a week. No chance to check zero on anything.

And a nice cross wind for at least the first 200 miles of our trip. It should change once we get up on the Caprock. Probably be a West [headwind] then. grin

Hopefully we'll get there in time Friday for me to make a pot of chili so folks will appreciate Joe's.

BTW...... It was just confirmed that Peggy's lifelong girlfriend will be with us. We are bringing breakfast stuff and a few fish so it won't impact the grocery list. I'll throw a few bucks in the kitty to help offset the other meals.
OK... Trying to get a head count for Thursday morning's breakfast.

I know that some may already be there and not have access to a computer or smart phone.

Just want to make sure that I have enough to feed everyone.

Paul, maybe you could get a head count for me tomorrow of those that are already there, or due to arrive tomorrow.

Jeff
Jeff - I'll be busy watching for Gene and his two girlfriends to arrive and making sure they get settled - but will try to determine the early arrival count by Wed eve. I'll try to call it to you if you PM your phone number.
Hi Paul,

I'm leaving here tomorrow morning at 9:00am.

Kent and I will be caravaning together. I'll just cook up what I have. I'm SURE that no on will leave the breakfast table hungry.

Have you given any thoughts to the pulleys ?

Two are them are approximately 10-12" in diameter. The other one is probably about 6". I can grab them, and bring along if you think that you can use them.

The look something like this:

[b][color:#3333FF]Large Pulley Picture >>>-----------------> Click here. [/color][/b]

Jeff

Hi Jeff. Thanks - I did think about your pulleys - have some big ones here as well. We will be a using smaller/lighter pulley to best fit this purpose - line is likely to be 1/4 inch dia. at most (I hope). Thanks again.

OK - you are leaving Wed AM - I'll fire up something and drive over to AS this evening to see what I can learn about Thurs AM count.
I'm still hoping to come. I may only get to bring one kid and maybe a buddy. If we do, we'll probably have to leave late Friday afternoon, roll in late and roll out some bags in the truck - set up a tent for Saturday.

Erik
Jeff - I'll be busy watching for Gene and his two girlfriends to arrive and making sure they get settled - but will try to determine the early arrival count by Wed eve. I'll try to call it to you if you PM your phone number.

We won't arrive until Thursday evening, Paul. We will bring some breakfast stuff to throw in the pile.
Erik - I hope that you can get here and do believe that you and your son(s) will enjoy this group - some of the very best folks on the 'Fire. Unless you arrive in the wee hours, most likely there will be someone awake to welcome you - and will help you set up your tent right then. We have lots of lights and willing hands.

From the junction of I25 and I40 in Alb, if you drive the I25/US60/NM32 route at about 5mph over the limit, it will take about 3 hours 15 minutes to camp. That is better roadway. If you drive the I40/NM117/NM36/NM32 route you may shave 20 minutes off the drive, but experience a more significant chance of having elk on the road.

So, when you know, tell us your ETA - maybe I will stay up late.

If you pull in really late/wee hours and all you can hear is deafening snoring accompanied by the random elk, wolf and coyote sounds, you have a choice to make. Either park somewhere to the right of the road until morning and bag it in the truck, or blow your horn and see who/if any rise to greet and help.
We are settled in for to might in Gallop and will be there tomorrow. Tough trip today, winds beat us up.
I'll be leaving tomorrow before noon and should make it to Quemado late Thursday. I most likely won't be to camp until Friday morning.

If anyone knows of anything that still needs to be added to the grub box, let me know and I'll bring it.

See you guys there.

All you need to do David is show how to shoot a $0.25 piece in the air with your pistol.

I'll bring the Stingers, you bring the two bit pieces.

Not going to make it this time around. Supposed to get water for the hay either Friday or Saturday.

See you all in Arizona next year.
Sorry to hear that Ken.
Sorry about that, Ken.
Yup,it happens.

Was looking forward to harassing Bob,Scott,Joe,Paul,Kent,David,Blue and others.

Was wanting to shoot the .470 NE and .416 Howell,next time.
Ken, we will miss you. Stay cool! grin
Will miss you all also!

Yeah,it's 101* right now,would rather be in the mountains. smile
Paul, when you see Kent please tell him that when the dust settled in the kitchen this morning, the final count was 4 dozen green chile burritos and two fruit cobblers--one peach and one cherry. Thanks!
I can't get out there with my daughter until Saturday afternoon. If we stay through Sunday, will there be much going on or will everything be winding down beginning Sunday morning? I'm trying to determine if it's worth the drive for just half of Saturday and just one night. I could potentially stay Sunday night, but it doesn't sound like anyone will be left by then.
OK Guys and Gals - when we try to set up these organized shoots in first class form, thy can gobble up quite a bit of time/energy and sometimes we need to revise. So, here is the latest and (we hope) final poop sheet on the shooting events.

ARMIJO SPRINGS, NEW MEXICO SUMMER 2016 CAMPFIRE GATHERING

Organized Shoot Events – REVISED/ADDED INFORMATION

Friday 3:30 pm – Turkey Rimfire Tune-up Shoot (revised start time)

FRIDAY EVENING COMPETITION SHOOT (revised start time)
6:00 pm – Long Range .22 Rimfire Shoot

(Note: because the challenge level for this shoot rises significantly with wind effects, we planned to take advantage of the normal wind “die down” toward sunset – but recently the breezes have continued until after dark. So, the start time has been moved later with some hope – and some wind flags.)

8:30 am - Prairie Dog Shoot (revised start time)

1:00 pm - Dangerous Game Shoot (revised yardage)
This match will involve a moving target at less than 75 yards. There will be a total of 3 shots available. Rifle must be a legitimate dangerous game type rifle. Minimum caliber is 9.3mm. Minimum energy is 3600 lbs-ft. (9.3x62 full power loads) No reduced loads in larger calibers. Shooters must use open or aperture sights - no scopes. Action can be bolt, double or single shot. No lever actions. 45-70s, 405 Winchesters do not qualify. This is a work in progress and will be tweaked as we set up the range.

KEN HOWELL REMEMBRANCE

NOTE REGARDING ANY TOP PRIZE AWARDS
We hope to be able to award some significant first prizes for the competition shoots. Of course, ALL attendees are welcomed and encouraged to shoot for score and recognition – but award of any actual prizes for the top performer in any competitive shoot will be limited to persons, or family members of persons, who are registered and participating members of the Campfire at the time of this posting (early evening, July 11, 2016)

Whilst I am thoroughly enjoying my time here at the north Idaho property this summer I am missing the above, Kent's cooking and all the rest is killing me. Have safe fun gentlemen.
If anyone happens by a sports goods store, I could use a box or two of Sierra .224 Matchking 77gr HPBT - #9377GT. Will trade for 75gr AMAX if interested.

See you 'birds tomorrow morning -
We are sitting at a .gov roadblock on U S 380 between Carrizzozo and I 25. The Clintons must be having a sale on our nuclear secrets at Alamogordo.

They must think we enjoy traveling in triple digit temps since we did it all day yesterday so they will keep us here until it warms up more.

They claim we will be better off waiting here for the blockade to lift than to backtrack and find an alternate route. Te guys here are contract rather than .gov employees so I'm more inclined to believe them.

It will be tempting to just keep going North up to I 40 and head back home if and when they lift the block. This has become a trip to hell with the heat, headwind, constant upgrade keeping my temp gauge waaay higher than I've ever seen.

and two disgruntled ladies.

We are sitting at a .gov roadblock on U S 380 between Carrizzozo and I 25. The Clintons must be having a sale on our nuclear secrets at Alamogordo.

They must think we enjoy traveling in triple digit temps since we did it all day yesterday so they will keep us here until it warms up more.

They claim we will be better off waiting here for the blockade to lift than to backtrack and find an alternate route. Te guys here are contract rather than .gov employees so I'm more inclined to believe them.

It will be tempting to just keep going North up to I 40 and head back home if and when they lift the block. This has become a trip to hell with the heat, headwind, constant upgrade keeping my temp gauge waaay higher than I've ever seen.

and two disgruntled ladies.

I recommend a green chili cheeseburger at the buckhorn for lunch!
jmgraham1986
Assume that is in San Antonio.
Hard to believe they are still famous for that.

Curdog4570
Roadblock there you may want to watch to the WNW an see if you see a big metal tube flying away from you or coming at ya!
yup.

Hey Paul, does Dennis need me to bring my machine??
Wish I was there!

Maybe next year.
As usual, my memory seems somewhat less than perfect.

When I left the gathering this afternoon, my newish/used Stoeger/Uberti Model 1873 .45 Colt carbine clone did not make it into the car.

I think I left it on one of the picnic tables, in a Sports Afield canvas case.

If anyone is passing through my area -- Route 14 north of Route 40 east of Albuquerque -- or otherwise through Albuquerque or Santa Fe, could they drop it off at some mutually convenient place and time? Maybe Jon if still at Kirtland AFB??

You can reach me at [email protected] or 505-239-4526. My address is 11 Tewa Court, Sandia Park, NM in the so-called Paa-Ko residential community there.

As expected, it was very good for me to return, since my 17YO son forgot to do all the simple list of chores I had left him, including feeding the four dogs. He could remember soccer practice, of course, but not taking out the trash for the weekly pickup!
I should add that the food was delicious! I would have had more, but I was so busy listening and talking with so many folks.
Norm, you left it on the tailgate of my white truck. It is enroute Albuquerque with Mark Shubert.

Nice rifle cool
I made it home about 12:30 AM. Had to dodge elk most of the way! Had a great time. Wish I could have stayed longer. Someone needs to get a few pics up.
Yup,waiting on the pics and BS....ummmm.....stories.
Me too!
We had 50 people this year. We had a LOT of shooters too. Me made a lot of smoke!
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for a great time. It was great to meet everyone. My daughter and I look forward to next year. Sorry my apple cobbler didn't turn out - maybe next year.

Also, when we were about to leave, my daughter asked me a question: "Daddy, do men with white beards and mustaches like to go camping?" I said: "Yes indeed."

- Kevin
We start Friday's meal with the pledge of allegiance and a prayer/blessing... if that offends anyone tough chit...

I especially want to thank the women and kids that make this event well rounded.

Another great time and goodbyes with heartfelt, 'see ya later'... damn good friends.

See ya later.

Kent
It was hot and dry but finally hit some rain on the way home today...

[Linked Image]
Kent,

how could I have guessed the first pics you would put up were of food or folks eating? shocked

I hope all had a great time. I too will be watching for more pics and stories.

Geno

PS, perhaps someday when retired, if and when that is, I can get there!
Let me see if I can remember some of the highlights...

Randy found some hooch in the ditch in front of his house... three kinds... they were all excellent.

Kaywoodie was a stick in the mud and boring... but the women liked him for some reason.

DARBY won the chili cookoff as his was so good no one else even submitted a challenge.

Miles brought ribeyes for thursday dinner.

ScottF's wife is much nicer than him... she's invited back as long as she leaves him home.

Brian brought bacon... that should have been number 1... just because of the word bacon.

Blue is interesting... as compared to Bob.

Seafire's wife is also nice and he's ok so if she want's to bring him back, I guess...

Dennis and Paul put on a hell of a shoot.

Ok... Kaywoodie is funny... in a weird sort of way.

Kent

Y'all suck.

grin

Ed
Ed,

Was a GREAT time. You were sorely missed.

Maybe next time.

Jeff
For anyone who was wondering, the young guy Dennis dragged to the camp out was me. I havent really posted on here before, and I think the camp was probably the best welcome to a forum I could have imagined. Thanks, everyone!

Dan
I dodged the storms on the way home. They were around but I missed them.

I'm missing the enchiladas already, Kent.
What an amazing time this was! I can not possibly thank enough the people who do so much to make this happen! What an amazing group of people I am fortunate to know and call friends.

Interestingly enough EXACTLY five years ago today we were wrapping up the first Quemado get together. We sure have come along ways since the first one in that gravel parking lot by the lake with about 10 guys...

Thank you all!
Tom
Just walked in. Home safe! I'm wore out from all the fun!!!

More later!!!
Glad to hear that you made it Bob.

Take care.

Jeff
Glad everyone's home safe!
Yup,glad everyone made it home safely.

Miles, Scott, John are still working their way home.

Kent
I guess Root's trike had a flat, him and his gang were a no show... but I was afeared the whole time...

Kent
Well then,may their trip home be safe and without problems.
And Blue, he'll be traveling today.

Kent
Ok,how about this,to those still on the road home,safe travels. smile
Amen...
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I made it home about 12:30 AM. Had to dodge elk most of the way! Had a great time. Wish I could have stayed longer. Someone needs to get a few pics up.

I saw about 9 or 10 elk on the road out past Paul's place when I drove out Saturday afternoon. No antlers.
We are in Gallop for the day headed for the Grand Canyon tomorrow. We have lots of bowling pin shoot pictures to post and will get them up as soon as we can. I did mess up and forgot to get any pin shoot award pictures. If anybody has any please post or let me know.
We all owe Kent a huge thanks for all the hard work he did not just keeping us fed but doing it with five star meals. I can not thank you enough even after the comment about Bev leaving me home next time.

Ben also deserves a big thanks for the fantastic burritos and Dawned for her dutch oven deserts.
Originally Posted by cansNclays
For anyone who was wondering, the young guy Dennis dragged to the camp out was me. I havent really posted on here before, and I think the camp was probably the best welcome to a forum I could have imagined. Thanks, everyone!

Dan

Dan is a heck of a runner too!!!!!

Glad you were there!!!!!
Norm, you left it on the tailgate of my white truck. It is enroute Albuquerque with Mark Shubert.

Nice rifle cool

Got it! Thanks to you, Paul AND Mark and his wife who kindly brought it back to me.

We hooked up in the parking lot of the famous Albuquerque landmark, Rudy's BBQ on Carlisle Blvd (just north of Rt 40 and one block east of Rt 25) that I suggested so he could avoid a construction hangup on Rt 25 on his way to Las Vegas, NM.

I was already nearby in ABQ with my teenage son, shopping for endless amounts of sports equipment - in this case metal shin guards proposed by the HS soccer team coach and matching socks. (I can hardly complain, based of my own expenditures for hunting stuff!) grin

Yes, it is a nice rifle, but that case of 92s that Bob showed us put it in the shade! In fact, many of the guys gave me much to think about about 19th Century cartridge options. Wow.
Hayden and I rolled in near midnight Friday and thanks to Seafire and his bride for rolling out and helping us set up the tent. The food was fantastic, especially the Saturday night Mexican feast. My son wasn't as appreciate of it once we hit the bedrolls and all that spice began to work its magic in my gastrointestinal system. That's why tents have zippers, right?

Hayden's fears of being bored around a lot of old geezers dissipated quickly and completely evaporated as he laughed and laughed at the stories spun by Blue, Bob, Randy and others on Saturday night.

The shoots were great and the prizes will be treasured by those that won them.

We visited an Old Town ABQ New Mexican restaurant for lunch with an old college friend, then toured through Santa Fe, Taos and the Rio Grande Gorge on the way home. We got home around 10 om last light and I think the two of us stayed awake for a grand total of two minutes after we showered and hit the rack.

Thanks to all who made the weekend special. Looking forward to doing it again.
The Pendelton Mill is under twenty miles from our home, so what does my wife want to take home from Gallop NM, a pendton blanket for the camper.

Also we found my missing keys . Ther were in the microwave.
"Also we found my missing keys . Ther were in the microwave."

Well, that's where I always keep mine.
We are in Gallop for the day headed for the Grand Canyon tomorrow. We have lots of bowling pin shoot pictures to post and will get them up as soon as we can. I did mess up and forgot to get any pin shoot award pictures. If anybody has any please post or let me know.

i don't know which side you want to go to, but if you go to north side it is pretty spectacular and not quite so overrun. At fredonia, where the road goes south to the north rim is where they filmed a lot of josey wales. A restaurant on the corner downtown knab, utah, pictures all over of the westerns filmed there. Great mexican food. The drive up out of there and then over north/south center utah is spectacular too.
Mormon country.
The Pendelton Mill is under twenty miles from our home, so what does my wife want to take home from Gallop NM, a pendton blanket for the camper.

Also we found my missing keys . Ther were in the microwave.

I am missing my sun glasses. Paul informed me my box of ammo is on its way to phx or probably already here.
old people have these problems.
I am thinking about buying kaywoodie an extra p08 mag for christmas.
Originally Posted by Anjin

Nice rifle cool

Got it! Thanks to you, Paul AND Mark and his wife who kindly brought it back to me.

We hooked up in the parking lot of the famous Albuquerque landmark, Rudy's BBQ on Carlisle Blvd (just north of Rt 40 and one block east of Rt 25) that I suggested so he could avoid a construction hangup on Rt 25 on his way to Las Vegas, NM.

I was already nearby in ABQ with my teenage son, shopping for endless amounts of sports equipment - in this case metal shin guards proposed by the HS soccer team coach and matching socks. (I can hardly complain, based of my own expenditures for hunting stuff!) grin

Yes, it is a nice rifle, but that case of 92s that Bob showed us put it in the shade! In fact, many of the guys gave me much to think about about 19th Century cartridge options. Wow.

kaywoodie knows some of my minor addictions, and sort of likes to pull things like those winchester 95's out to watch me slobber and my hands shake when i have to give them back.
Were they 95s? most of us seemed to hold in our drool. but we were are thinking the same way! Simply honeys.
Another fine Armijo Springs gathering. Thank you Kent for your time and awesome food skills in keeping the "natives" from getting restless.

Sure was nice seeing and chatting with the friends I get to see once or twice a year.

And..

This year a special thank you to all the folks that participated in or helped with the bowling pin shoot. They all made it a fun, safe time with plenty of laughter.
Thank Brian for ramrodding that bowling pin affaire!!! That was fun! Them tables worked out great!
Them shootin' matches that Dennis and Paul put together were fun too! Especially the dangerous game match! Much obliged!!!

We ate like kings at the kitchen of Chef Kent and his staff of culinary experts! The food was top shelf! Thanks to all who added to the table fare!

Waiting to get started.
[Linked Image]

Paul pulling the crew together
[Linked Image]

A few of the firearms waiting for the call
[Linked Image]

Jeff (Owl) taking his turn.
[Linked Image]

David (Paladin) following the hits.
[Linked Image]

Newcomer Mike is drafted to judge targets.
[Linked Image]

Ooh, it's close! Darby is here with the caliper.
[Linked Image]

Jon and Dennis, back from changing the targets.
[Linked Image]
Photobucket is hopeless today. I will try to upload more of the 120+ to the bucket tonight when traffic hopefully will be lighter.
Thanks to all who went to the trouble to set up the shoots. It took a lot of work to have that much fun for such a short time.

It really was a good time and one that maybe many more will be able to see some day.

On another note, I ended up with a set of earmuffs marked Upshaw.

And lost a black coffee cup marked VES, although the lost cup isn't a big deal.
I am kinda wandering my way home. Currently in Vernon, Tx. for the night. miles
I ended up with a set of earmuffs marked Upshaw.

Upshaw got a belt buckle, so everything should be OK. grin miles
I ended up with a set of earmuffs marked Upshaw.

Upshaw got a belt buckle, so everything should be OK. grin miles

Roflmao!
I just realized I left my green Stanley coffee mug somewhere. If anyone comes across it and is headed for Colorado, let me know. Otherwise, just write my name on the bottom, use it if you like - It'll keep coffee hot for 8 hours. And maybe someday we'll meet up again...
Got a chance to download some pictures.

The setting.

[Linked Image]

The seated.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Then for a while I was having to much fun to take pictures but we started again when the pin shoot started.

Safety meeting and bowling pin shooting rules.

[Linked Image]

Hearing protection is a must for everyone even if they are just watching or as in this case napping.

[Linked Image]

The pins. They are set back one foot from the front of a full 4X8 sheet of plywood for 45s, centre of the tables for 38 and 9mm, and a foot from the back for 22s. The shooting line is 25' from the table.

[Linked Image]
Two shooters come to the line and when the command to fire is given they blast away. They have 18 rounds to get every pin off the table.

The ladies shoot well enough to make even me think of behaving. Here they show what they can do.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Two fine gentlemen who know a lot more about shooting than I ever will go head to head and the pins fly.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Taking it easy after a hard day's shooting.

[Linked Image]
Ben uncrating cobbler. I never knew until then you could get cobbler in a crate.

[Linked Image]
Dennis and Ben trying to explain to Paul which end, and what part of, the rifle goes in the slot in the sticks. I don't remember if it helped.

[Linked Image]
Scott trying to levitate a couple of shooters. It didn't work.
[Linked Image]
Bob and Blue having at it at the bowling pins, Smoke waiting for something to fall.

[Linked Image]
Dan off on a dead run, Randy preparing to stop the charge.

[Linked Image]
These two dudes, Jace and Cody, couldn't get enough of the big bore rifles.

Thought I might have to arm wrestle Jace for the .470 NE double gun. I think he shot it 6-8 times in a row one day. Cody shot the charging elephant with the .416 Howell and managed to get two rounds downrange from the bolt gun.

Dang impressive for both young men.

[Linked Image]
Jace managing the recoil from the .470 NE

Those two are heavy weights is pin shooting g. They are more than I have powers to lift. grin

What I was thinking, but didn't want to break your concentration to say as much.

Blue shooting the steel.
[Linked Image]

Smoke waiting for Blue to shoot something besides paper targets and steel discs
[Linked Image]

Miles takes his turn.
[Linked Image]

David (Paladin) wrapped up.
[Linked Image]

Kaywodie and Mark chilling.
[Linked Image]

Jeff (Talus) and Dennis spotting the steel shots
[Linked Image]
Ben, thanks for posting the pictures.
Donelle waiting to follow Miles.
[Linked Image]

Donelle on the line.
[Linked Image]

Erik (WyoColorado) takes his turn.

P{[Linked Image]

Photobucket is screwing me around again--that's all for tonight!
Well, after an overnight stay in Pecos, Tx, the Harris/McIntosh clan made it to south/central Texas about 4:00 this afternoon. The camp trailer is parked in the shade of the oak tree in the side yard and the piles of laundry are monumental. Once again, we had a fabulous time! Thanks to the generosity of so many, our boys not only have some great stories to tell, but they have great prizes and are sporting bruises on their right shoulders which they proudly display to anyone who asks. They're already planning strategy for next year's shooting events.
Thanks to Brian's patience and excellent teaching, Jocelyn has begun "shopping" for her requested birthday present. I have until October to come up with an appropriate caliber pistol for a 12 year old girl and it looks like 4-H shooting sports will become a regular part of her routine (Thank you Scott F). She may even participate in a few of the shooting events next year. wink
I took lots of pictures... with dad's camera, so I am sure he'll get more up as soon as Photobucket begins cooperating.
I cannot thank all of you enough for allowing us to join in this gathering each of the last 3 years. Just this afternoon, as Jace sat gazing at his newly acquired .22 revolver, he glanced up at me and said with a very serious face "Mr. Darby is awesome!". We are honored to have met each and every one of you, you are ALL "Awesome".
Well I see that Michael and I missed a really great time. We will try to plan for next year. Already looking forward to Pumpkin Center. On a side note, the wife and I spent Sunday driving Boy Scouts (8) to Tucsons Mt. Lemmon for the second campout of the summer Big Red Camp. Nothing like driving 3 hrs, helping set up camp then driving 3 hrs home. laugh

Donelle, I don't think I have ever met a nicer group of people than on a Campfire get-together. Hopefully next year we can make the NM Gathering. Some of the best people, food and fun you can have.
Great pics.thank you all for posting them!
Donelle, good to see you posting. Your young lady told me and others that She planned to beat Her Brother shooting next year. It will be quite a chore. miles
Originally Posted by Paladin

David, those would be my earmuffs... Hang on to them and I'll get them next time we get together. Use them if you need too!

Mike and I made it to my house, last night (Monday) around 11pm. Headed on down to his place today.

Thanks to all for such a great time. Special thanks to KRP for the great food. The fellows that put on the Quemado Gathering always do a great job, Thanks to all.

Thanks to everyone for posting the pics! I was having such a good a good time, I didn't get a single pic!!!!

Much obliged!!!!
Thanks to everyone for posting the pics! I was having such a good a good time, I didn't get a single pic!!!!

Much obliged!!!!

Forgot!!! You wus holdin the camera backwards!!!

Much obliged!!!!

Forgot!!! You wus holdin the camera backwards!!!

Dammit! Wondered who that big eye belonged to???!!!!???
I am missing an empty NBRAra he bag. grin
I am missing an empty NBRAra he bag. grin

Did you look in the microwave?
It is a joke. I gave a new NRA bag to Jon to replace the one he lost a while back. He was trying to swipe my 358 while I wasn't looking so I thought I should get him back.
^^^^^

I figgered as much!

laugh
Got home safe and sound a while ago. Great time, thanks to all. miles
I sure am glad that all you guys and gals had such a great time there so next spring (winter here) I hope to hit the trail for Tonto gathering. A person can go just so long w ithout having some of Kent's great cooking.

I am looking forward to four more sessions of radiation and had my last chemo injection today. Anyway, until the first part of September after they do a CT scan and determine what else, if any, I might need.

Both my doctors today were happy with how I have been able to hold up under some mighty strong stuff. I know why and all you folks that have been praying for me know also. Our God is much stronger than anything or anybody else and I think that when enough people lift me before Him He answers our prayers in a positive way. He says "I will have mercy upon who I will have mercy." I'm sure that your prayers and the prayers of many other friends is what caused Him to extend His mercies to me.

Not to assume that I'm out of the woods yet but I really am feeling much better. O, I stopped coughing up blood over a week ago and my weight is staying exactly the same.

Thank all of you for the kind thoughts and prayers. Please don't stop yet.

Ivan
Ivan, missed ya amigo.

Stay strong, get well and see you at Tonto!

Kent
Ivan, glad to see you're holding up.
Hope you can get to one of the get-to-gethers.
ScottF - Told you that was sig line material!
Ivan, glad to hear things are looking good. I'll make the Tonto trip with you next go round.

ScottF - Told you that was sig line material!

Did it just for you. grin
As always, krp was fab with our vittles. Thanks to all who contributed $$ to that pot and/or brought food, to those who volunteered labor for setups/takedowns, to Randy from Frog Level who provided lots of target spots and to Blue for the constant coffee pot.
How many people attended the shoot out? A ball park number will do. That looks like a lot of fun in a great place. I see nothing but good times in the photo's for which, I thank those who have gone to all the trouble of posting them. They let those of us who did not attend, be right there with all of you who were. You folks who attended are the real America and the whole country needs more like you and do more of that kind of thing. Good on all of you.
A hearty thanks goes out to Kent for once again feeding the crowd with some of the best food one can imagine in the middle of nowhere. And to Ben & Company for the most excellent burritos and cobblers. To Blue for providing steel, to Paul and Dennis for arranging the various shoots, to Scott for ramrodding the bowling pin setup and Brian for providing guns and ammo for some of the shooters, and to Joe and the others (don't know who they are) for sponsoring the belt buckle awards, and to all the women for putting up with their men and the rest of us, and to all for pitching in where ever necessary, pulling targets, setting up and tearing down, or whatever.

It was a good time. Thanks to everyone.
Originally Posted by BobWills
How many people attended the shoot out? A ball park number will do. That looks like a lot of fun in a great place. I see nothing but good times in the photo's for which, I thank those who have gone to all the trouble of posting them. They let those of us who did not attend, be right there with all of you who were. You folks who attended are the real America and the whole country needs more like you and do more of that kind of thing. Good on all of you.

I think I heard Kent say his meal headcount saturday was like 50!

It's quite a gathering!!
Standing in one spot saturday during the presentation I counted 49, could have had a kid or two out playing away from the old folks... but 49 plus Norm had to go home friday after being there a few days... so 50.

Thought about a guest register but we aren't a wedding or funeral... just some American hicks shooting chit with guns and mouths.

Kent
Last year we had 54, some of the regulars like the Holbrook family just couldn't make it, Ken passed... but we had at least 10 new faces. We always have new faces and some that want to come but unable. Our pool of folks that have attended in the past is around 80, and new folks always show up. One of these times we will hit over 60 and possibly 70.

Kent
Originally Posted by Paladin

David, those would be my earmuffs... Hang on to them and I'll get them next time we get together. Use them if you need too!

Mike and I made it to my house, last night (Monday) around 11pm. Headed on down to his place today.

Thanks to all for such a great time. Special thanks to KRP for the great food. The fellows that put on the Quemado Gathering always do a great job, Thanks to all.

Randy, I'll bring them to the next get together and you can pick them up then.

bob one of the things that has made it fascinating through the years is the great diversity in backgrounds, geographic backgrounds, and so on. Translated a great chance to meet people from all over the country.
In the five years or so they have been going on, and it should be mentioned they were were started for Dr. Ken Howell, i don't think i have ever seen any episodes of drunk stuff and so on. And each year even better more women and kids in attendence.
Both are pretty cool.
I've NEVER seen a serious disagreement at Q - although LR was a no-show this year, in spite of his promise.
Damm, I really wanted to see his basic composition.
He would have made a great bowling pin.
...Damm, I really wanted to see his basic composition.

Mark, get in your truck, drive out to your main pasture and drive around until you see a rounded, low mound of dark brown stuff surrounded by flies.

You will have your answer.

Ed
Yeah! I passed a bunch of motor bike riders not far from the VLA Sunday morning. Wondered??

Then again, they were respectable lookin' folks.

Mark, get in your truck, drive out to your main pasture and drive around until you see a rounded, low mound of dark brown stuff surrounded by flies.

You will have your answer.

Ed
Not rounded nor a low mound.
[Linked Image]
Got to thinking this morning...

Yeah, sometimes it hurts grin

It is a special group of folks that show up at 'fire gatherings, this one included. There is a lot of knowledge about most any subject or discipline gathered in these groups.

A few years ago an ol'fardt,me, showed up at Armijo Springs. Now this character was an occasional pistol shooter as in he could occasionally hit something.

Well, there were two pistoleros, Edtoomanyletters and Palidin, teaching the fine art of handgun shooting. After watching them all weekend teach others I took what I learned home with me. In just a couple short summers of practising their methods I am thrilled with the progress I have made. Thanks Guys!

Now whenever possible I pay it forward and show other newbies the basics to get them to become confident and safe handgunners.

Now if only I could hit something with the recently purchased rifles... grin

Got to thinking this morning...

Yeah, sometimes it hurts grin

It is a special group of folks that show up at 'fire gatherings, this one included. There is a lot of knowledge about most any subject or discipline gathered in these groups.

A few years ago an ol'fardt,me, showed up at Armijo Springs. Now this character was an occasional pistol shooter as in he could occasionally hit something.

Well, there were two pistoleros, Edtoomanyletters and Palidin, teaching the fine art of handgun shooting. After watching them all weekend teach others I took what I learned home with me. In just a couple short summers of practising their methods I am thrilled with the progress I have made. Thanks Guys!

Now whenever possible I pay it forward and show other newbies the basics to get them to become confident and safe handgunners.

Now if only I could hit something with the recently purchased rifles... grin

they did teach you that trick, after all, of shuting the barn door when you are inside shooting, did they?
Mark, get in your truck, drive out to your main pasture and drive around until you see a rounded, low mound of dark brown stuff surrounded by flies. You will have your answer.

That's much too big of a pile, Ken. LR is a scrawny lil' pile. Reminds me of scours...

Ed
Ed,

Of all things, fate may take me to New Mexico next week. I rushed to open up this thread only to find........ I missed out on the fun. Dang it! Need to plan better or have fortune check the Campfire before smiling upon me. Best wishes!
Mark, get in your truck, drive out to your main pasture and drive around until you see a rounded, low mound of dark brown stuff surrounded by flies. You will have your answer.

That's much too big of a pile, Ken. LR is a scrawny lil' pile. Reminds me of scours...

Ed
That is true. What he spews is much larger.
Originally Posted by hatari
Ed,

Of all things, fate may take me to New Mexico next week. I rushed to open up this thread only to find........ I missed out on the fun. Dang it! Need to plan better or have fortune check the Campfire before smiling upon me. Best wishes!

Jeff,

When and where in NM? I have to go to NM next week, too.

Ed
Well after pushing hard we have made it all the way to Panguitch, UT. Brice canyon tomorrow then on to the next leg home.
Bryce Canyon is one of my favorite spots in this country. Last time I was there it was late May and the temps were great for hiking the many trails.

Enjoy!

Ed
I know my trip to Quemado is not a drop in the bucket for Seafire and ScottF, but for an old gray-haired cripple fellow, it's a long haul. I figured it up today and all total I drove approx. 3198 miles. This included the all the driving to make the trip to Quemado this year (extra trip to Mike's to pick up my truck)

I really feel for the fellows that have to drive a 'long way', and a special thanks to them for making the trip.
I really feel for the fellows that have to drive a 'long way', and a special thanks to them for making the trip.

I expect that you drove nearly that far last year, when you had to detour out of your way to take me home. Again, that was very much appreciated. miles

I expect that you drove nearly that far last year, when you had to detour out of your way to take me home. Again, that was very much appreciated. miles

That's what friends do for each other.

(PS- There is this rifle and right at the moment, I'm a little short of funds...) grin
I'm having to re-think this whole idea of campfire shindigs. I went to Ed's and out of all the vehicles on site, my pickup was likely the only one not insured, and was the only one that was damaged by the tornado.

This year, I plan on taking my new [ to me ] travel trailer to Paul's deal at Quemado. I really enjoyed my last trip there when I came alone and slept in my pickup camper. It was so much fun that I talked Peggy and her friend, Lil, to come with me.

I had pulled this trailer on a couple of short trips with no problem, never noticing that it weighed twice as much as my other one........ over 12k #. My old Dodge with the Cummins handled it just fine.

Now folks, from the time I leave my house until I get to Capitan N.M., about 500 miles, it is a steady uphill grind. It's 1300 feet here,3500 on the edge of the Caprock at Post, then you gain another 1000 ft going west up on the Cap.Then it's another 2500 foot gain up to Lincoln.

I had plenty of power, but it came with increased engine temps. It normally stays at 180 degrees and I don't like it to get over 200. To achieve that, about 50 mph was top speed.

After they held us up at the roadblock between Carrizozo and San Antonio, it meant I would be attempting to get over the Divide at Pietown right in the heat of the day, so I opted to abort the mission. I kept North on I 25 to Albuquerque, spent the night there, and headed Est on I 40 the next morning. I sidetracked to Roaring Springs Tx to spend the night and blew out a trailer tire when I got there.

Next morning I discovered I had a leak in the return line to the transmission cooler and it cost me a hundred dollar bill to get it fixed.

Now, the old Dodge is not starting as quickly as it should and that means I fried the High pressure fuel pump more than likely. That will be another 1500 bucks. It could just be the lift pump, but I doubt it.

I'm thinking I should maybe host a get-together here and let Y'all do the traveling. grin
I'll be the first to sign up! Gonna be at your fish camp?

Ed
Gene, sorry to hear about your truck/ trailer problems and you were missed at Quemado. Since you wuznt there, we talked about you, a lot! grin

The idea of a meeting up your way. sure sounds like a good idea to me...

I'll be the first to sign up! Gonna be at your fish camp?

Ed

HELL NO..... That's 75 miles from my house. You have any idea how much trouble I can have in 75 miles?
Gene, sorry to hear about your truck/ trailer problems and you were missed at Quemado. Since you wuznt there, we talked about you, a lot! grin

The idea of a meeting up your way. sure sounds like a good idea to me...

Paladin has been after me to host one. It would be a REAL low-key affair. I'll see what I can come up with, Randy.
Sounds good to me!
I'll be the first to sign up! Gonna be at your fish camp? Ed
HELL NO..... That's 75 miles from my house. You have any idea how much trouble I can have in 75 miles?

Don't know about how much you can have, but know you can get into a bunch just sitting still. grin

Ed
well curdog, i see you live in north texas. North texas i think has hogs. I want to kill hogs.
i also have a dodge pickup, diesel, probably would pull yours if it broke down.
75miles isn't much, for hogs i would gladly pull you that far and the trailer.
Gene,

I can see making the trip from Oregon for that...
Gene,

Yes we can! grin
Hmmm...

Curdogs place,

May have to upgrade triple A coverage... cool
Hmmm...

Curdogs place,

How are we going to get hogs to stand up on a bowling pin table?
This gonna be around the first part of October? If it happens, that is.

How far north in north Texas?
Hmmm...

Curdogs place,

Ear of corn on a string?
Hmmm...

Curdogs place,

Yes, yes you will. It's mighty rugged in Gene's part of the country, particularly around the big cities like Mabelle, Holliday, Archer City, Seymore, and Electra. grin

Ed
Yes, yes you will. It's mighty rugged in Gene's part of the country, particularly around the big cities like Mabelle, Holliday, Archer City, Seymore, and Electra.

I don't know exactly where Gene lives, but I had to be close on my way back. Thought about trying to get in contact, but had a Dr. appointment and needed to keep moving. I took a scenic route instead of my normal I-40. I went South from Socorro, to San Antonio, and then over to US Hwy 70, and followed it a long ways. Went through Wichita Falls and then on down to I-30. They were setting up to block traffic in the area where Gene got blocked, at 7:30 AM. I went through while before they got it set up. miles
Gene - kept watching for you to drive into Armijo Springs campsite last weekend - missed you a bunch. Didn't get the update on your travel issues until after the end.

If you have a deal at your place, will do all possible to be there.
Got home late Wednesday night and then was on the highway early Thursday morning up to Potland to take care of some accounts's "Disasters" that occurred while I was gone...Never fails.. world falls apart when you take some time off...

today I just 'died' until noon...

will try to get some pics posted over the weekend...

owe a lot of Thank yous to many folks for a fantastic time.

Wife enjoyed it immensely....you guys have made her feel like family... and Brian has got her wanting to be a new generation of Annie Oakley.
Hmmm...

Curdogs place,

Very carefully. Or do what BigBuck215 suggested. grin
This gonna be around the first part of October? If it happens, that is.

How far north in north Texas?

We only have three seasons here..... too hot, too cold, and October, so you are thinking right.

If I went due North, I'd be wading the Red at about the 65 mile mark.

There is no room to camp and no place to shoot at the fishing camp.

We have a gun range adjacent to the Community Center but it only has 100 yards to shoot and it is for members only. I'll see if I can get a waiver for a weekend in Oct.

I can probably put a couple guys on hogs a day or so before the meeting by putting up a couple of feeders. We could cast lots among those who have never killed a hog and come a long way.

We will just keep this sticky alive, piggy backing on Paul's thread and I'll see what we can do.
Made it home this morning, 2 weeks on the road is to much driving for an old fart,will try to catch up later. Blue
Made it home this morning, 2 weeks on the road is to much driving for an old fart,will try to catch up later. Blue

Glad to hear you're back home, safe and sound.
A few more pics from camp:

The Buckle Winners, L to R -- Oldman03 for the Hunter Steel shoot. Always a top shooter in this event, he continues to anger critics by beating them with his trusty .270. Some have surmised that he bounces the bullet off the 200 yard steel so that it will actually reach the 300 line.

Next is DennisinAz, who won the 150 yard 22 Long Distance Rimfire shoot using his CZ. He also won the 200 yard P. Dog shoot with his 22-250 Savage. Paladin claimed the Dangerous Game prize shooting no less than his 470 NE, an act that deserves its own trophy.

[Linked Image]

This is the Bowling Pin shoot setup. Lots of ladies and kids shot this, thanks to encouragement, coaching and leadership from Brian and ScottF. Paladin gets more cool points for running this table with his 500 S & W, AKA "the 20 gauge revolver".

[Linked Image]

Bunny shooting the event with one of Brian's vintage S&Ws:

[Linked Image]

If critters could talk, we may have had some complaints about this year's event.

It gets kinda loud without hearing protection:

[Linked Image]

Unfortunately for Ma and Pa bluebird, their nest (in a dead Ponderosa branch) ended up directly above the shooter's position for the Hunter Steel shoot.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

More:

[Linked Image]

Kaywoodie gets Major Super Cool Points for shooting the Hunter Steel shoot with his Model 1895. The 200 yard gong screamed for mercy!

[Linked Image]

This is the 200-yard gong. Other targets are 3 to 5 inch steel circles at various ranges from 200 to 300 yards. Shooting is from field positions, using field gear.

[Linked Image]

This is the P Dog target (on left). Shooters engage the orange dots on the larger P Dog outline. Dots are the size of a quarter. 200 yards.

[Linked Image]

Here's the scrum from the judging area of the Hunter Steel shoot. L to R -- Mark Shubert (back turned), CCCC, DARBY, Talus in AZ (at glass), Oldman03 (blue shirt), someone help here with the name of the guy in camo, and Owl (I think) in the brimmed hat.

[Linked Image]
someone help here with the name of the guy in camo,

First name Mike. Came with Randy, and is from South Louisiana. miles
Mike Gullory! Damn nice guy!
Good times!
Damn good time!!! smile
I am still several days from home and already thinking of next year.
Did I hear someone call were gonna do a piggy hunt ???

I'm in...

Fella's, you need to practice up on your hog calling techniques.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LL75jXuzcY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVcVSEa_Ooo

Blue, Glad to hear you made it back safely. Was great seeing you again, and spending a few minutes chatting with you.

And once again, can't thank you enough for the brass.

Take care until we meet again.

Jeff
Good to hear that you are home, Blue. Now if Scott has made it, everybody is home safe. miles
Originally Posted by Owl
Did I hear someone call were gonna do a piggy hunt ???

I'm in...

Fella's, you need to practice up on your hog calling techniques.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LL75jXuzcY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVcVSEa_Ooo

Jeff, all them fellows is amateurs. This is how you call a pig... just ask Miles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyY8oUXaTio
This is how you call a pig... just ask Miles.

Well, since you asked. grin miles

Hogcall
We are playing around but should be home Thursday.
We are playing around but should be home Thursday.

Don't play too hard,,,,,,,,,,,,,Accidents cause kids. grin
Not at our age. All play and no worry. wink
bcolorado!

Brian! Check you PM's

Bob
I think I am the last one home. 3,468.1 miles behind me, trailer unpacked and put away, car unpacked and somewhat put away. Iced beverage, fresh cigar, and laptop on the deck enjoying a nice breeze and the Fire. It is all over except for the great times with good friends and lasting memories. .
Glad you and the Missus made it home safe Scott
Scott, glad yall made it home.
It is a lot cooler here and there is oxygen enough to breathe. grin

I could have stayed on the road for another month but it is nice to be able to shower in my own bathroom.
Glad you and the missus get to sleep in your own bed, finally.
No place like home, etc.
I could have stayed on the road for another month but it is nice to be able to shower in my own bathroom.

Yeah, my shower was a tad small for a man of my size. I could get wet, but it was cramped. miles
My trailer has a shower but it is outside. Bev won't let me use it in RV parks. Something about not enough eye bleach for all the other campers.
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
More:

someone help here with the name of the guy in camo, and Owl (I think) in the brimmed hat.

[Linked Image]

That's me on the right.
My trailer has a shower but it is outside. Bev won't let me use it in RV parks. Something about not enough eye bleach for all the other campers.

May God bless Bev!

Thank her for us.
Attn Rick, we really need a smiley fast wit it's tongue sticking out giving a raspberry. For posts like Marks we need it real bad.
My son and I were getting ready to hit the sack Saturday night at Quemado, when this melody floated over to our tent. My son who may be Kaywoodie's biggest fan, asked me to record it. I rolled out and got the end of a tune I didn't recognize, but I think should have been titled "Goodnight Armijo Springs".

Probably appropriate now as this thread is starting to wind down.

With apologies to Kaywoodie if this invaded his privacy, but it was a special moment for my son and I to sit and listen.

Damn. Get kicked outta school playin' a song like that!!!!

Ol' Steevie Foster just ain't appreciated anymore!!!

laugh
Well ok,,,,

"I hear the gentle voices calling,,,,, Old Black Joe!"
Well ok,,,,

"I hear the gentle voices calling,,,,, Old Black Joe!"

We were taught that song in grade school.
That's right Gene! Where I learned it to!

Times they change!!! laugh
That's right Gene! Where I learned it to!

Times they change!!! laugh

But the memories don't. Thanks, everybody, for a really fine event!
Gene,

Seafire if you going to make the trip give me a heads up may just join you if that is ok with you. Give me a pm . Cheers NC
Damn. Get kicked outta school playin' a song like that!!!!

Ol' Steevie Foster just ain't appreciated anymore!!!

laugh

first thing i usually do when kaywoodie is around is ask him to start reciting poetry. There is just something about a guy, usually dressed up like he is going to charge san juan hill with teddy, likes kraigs, from south texas reciting poetry, even if he has horrible taste in beer.
Bully!!!

laugh
I was unaware that doggerel was still regarded as poetry. Learn something new every day... grin
I was unaware that doggerel was still regarded as poetry. Learn something new every day... grin

[Linked Image]

Kipling!!! Service!!!!! doggerel??????

Literary Philistine!!!!

laugh

(Ok! I admit. A few selected limericks may qualify. wink )
Hi,

I just bought a Sako 85 Hunter .300 win mag, and would like to purchase a Nightforce 5.5x22x56 NXS velocity 1000. Any idea on the model of the scope I should use HVM, CVM, etc. They say to make sure you order the right one for your gun, but not sure which is the right one.

I know I'm probably in the wrong topic, but just looking for some quick advice and there seemed to be a few viewers here, anyone help?
You are definitely in the wrong place- this is a dead thread. Repost this again on your own thread in the optics section. If you were to call a reputable Nightforce dealer they could tell you or call Nightforce directly. Since Nightforce scopes can't be shipped to Canada from dealers I don't know who to tell you to buy it from. I would buy from Bill Shehane but he can't ship to Canada
© 24hourcampfire