-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1,597 of 1,842 1 2 1595 1596 1597 1598 1599 1841 1842
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Berettaman's Youth Outdoors Day event in Alexandria is rapidly approaching. He could sure use some more volunteers. Guys, here's our chance to step up to the plate and not only help one of our really good guys, but give something back to the activities we love, and the kids we need to carry the torch going forward. I think this will be my third year going up to help out. My wife and daughter will be joining the effort this year too.

The event is held on Sunday August 28th. All volunteers will be fed, water will be supplied throughout the day. There are lots of exhibits, displays and learning opportunities for the kids. Thanks to Berettaman's efforts, this event has grown leaps and bounds every year. He conservatively expects 2,000 kids to attend this year. If past history is any indicator, they will easily shatter that mark. PM Berettaman for more details, but he could sure use more volunteers.

Time to step up gents.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Gopher...sorry, haven't heard anything specifically from Emily area.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I'll look and see what I have going on the 28th. I may be able to help Dean out then. I know I have a boy that would come along.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The more help we can give the better it will be.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by j_elky
Gopher...sorry, haven't heard anything specifically from Emily area.
Finally got a call through to the resort. They got over 6" of rain. Some branches down, but no other damage. He had to go out and readjust the docks, but that was it. They did lose power for a while, but all is well now.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Hey guys, yes Youth Outdoor Activity Day is rapidly approaching! Thanks for the kind words Jeff. This event really has grown huge. We have a facebook page now (Youth Outdoor Activity Day - Alexandria MN) and are on youtube. We could really use some traffic, likes, comments, shares, etc on our Facebook page. We should also be on Ron Schara's Minnesota Bound very soon. This year we received a Youth Recruitment and Retention grant from the DNR for just over $24,000. Part of that money will be used to give away hundreds (I think about 700) rods and reels, 70 bows and 60 BB guns. We will have 35-40 different activities for kids to do, including trap shooting, archery, tomahawk throwing, geocaching, dog handling, fire building, shelter building, outdoor cooking, climbing wall, etc. We are bringing in a trick shooting archery guy for a presentation as well.

This event is totally free. We will give a tee shirt to the first 2,350 kids who attend and free lunch for everyone.

We will need about 250 volunteers this year I think.

The other thing we need is people to bring kids who do not have the opportunity to try some of these activities. That is our target audience.

Jeff has been helping since the first year at the muzzleloading shotgun station. I am really looking forward to it, as it will be a big day for sure!

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
God as my witness, I'm not going to give him a single gun with no powder in it this year! Guys, you would not believe how well this event runs. Make plans on coming, either as a volunteer, or bring up a car full of kids who want to learn more about hunting and fishing. We are planning on driving up Sunday morning. We could carpool or caravan from the cities, and this is for one of our own. Those who haven't had a chance to meet Dean are really missing out on one of our truly good guys. It would be great if us Minnesota boys could adopt this as an annual event and give a little back. Who's in? Come on guys-it's only one day. Everybody can free up one day.......

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Maybe berettaman will let you use his mini-van to haul those kids up! grin

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Hey guys, was just thinking...we lost grizzly bill two years ago. Please raise him a beer, tip yer hat his direction, and pray for his wife Judy, and their kids.

Here's to ya Bill.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Salutations!

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tzone
Maybe berettaman will let you use his mini-van to haul those kids up! grin
Watch it there buddy-Momma drives a minivan, and if Momma ain't happy, life sucks.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
To Bill.

Something clever here.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by northern_dave
To Bill.

Yes. frown

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
yeah sure, I could run down with the Town & Country and pick everyone up in the cities, then swing north and pick everyone up near the border and then back! Cuz I am sure I wont have anything to do just before the event!

I actually bought a new truck this year so I rarely drive the minivan anymore. I used to drive that to the cities to save on fuel $$$ but the new truck does so good on mileage, I just take that.

If anyone is on the fence about attending, this should do it: FREE ice cream!!!

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
To Bill!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
To Bill

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by tzone
Hey guys, was just thinking...we lost grizzly bill two years ago. Please raise him a beer, tip yer hat his direction, and pray for his wife Judy, and their kids.

Here's to ya Bill.

Done Tom !

"To Bill"

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
S
SSB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
To Bill.....

We eat organic in our house, we just have to shoot and gut it first.....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
to Bill!

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's painful to remember those who've left deer camp, never to return. My group gets bigger every year it seems like. The ominous harbinger that scares the hell out of me, is now guys my age, or younger are joining that group. When I was younger, I just didn't think about this stuff. Mortality has a nasty way of creeping up on you though. One thing is for sure. I will remember those who went before me on opening morning as I do every year. I get more enjoyment out of a beautiful sunrise, a squirrel digging for acorns under my stand than I did when I was younger. The weight of a good rifle hanging on my shoulder as I head out in the pre-dawn darkness. The welcoming smell of a hot cup of coffee out of the thermos. The chickadees that always seem to find me every year.

Here's to all those who went before us and taught us the ropes, shared a hard drag with us, or patted us on the back when we finally made our first kill. Lest we ever, ever forget.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Page 1,597 of 1,842 1 2 1595 1596 1597 1598 1599 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (17CalFan, 1lesfox, 1234, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 51 invisible), 2,363 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,378
Posts18,488,518
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.