Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
I have a Toric 8x42 in my formerly Copenhagen stained hands, and have been fiddling with them for a mere 30 minutes. Quick impressions, that's it:

1. VERY sharp optics and very bright.

2. Colors are neutral and very bright

3. Build quality is outstanding, as everything that is supposed to twist or turn does so, very, very smoothly. Armoring fits very well and is very grippy, diopter works well, focus mechanism is very smooth. They have a very nice feel to them, not too light and not too heavy. Eyecups stay put in any position, but truthfully I wish they had a touch more resistance to them when twisted. Eyecup that meets your face is very smooth.

4. Appear to be a touch brighter (as expected) and touch sharper than the Cabelas Euro(Meopta) 8x32 HD, which is a fantastic binocular in itself.

5. Interesting that it came without a case of any kind, but has nice ocular and objective covers, and a standard strap. No big deal to me since I use a ACG bino pack or harness.

That's all I can think of at this moment. Did I mention how bright and sharp this thing is?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
yeah but....... grin

Looks like I will be holding off on any 8x32ish until...

Thanks for the FIRST hand account.

By the way how the heck did you get to see them?

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
I bought them Tuesday and they got here today. Never had an 8x42 so that's the one I bought.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I have a Toric 8x42 in my formerly Copenhagen stained hands, and have been fiddling with them for a mere 30 minutes. Quick impressions, that's it:

3. Build quality is outstanding, as everything that is supposed to twist or turn does so, very, very smoothly. Armoring fits very well and is very grippy, diopter works well, focus mechanism is very smooth. They have a very nice feel to them, not too light and not too heavy. Eyecups stay put in any position, but truthfully I wish they had a touch more resistance to them when twisted. Eyecup that meets your face is very smooth.

4. Appear to be a touch brighter (as expected) and touch sharper than the Cabelas Euro(Meopta) 8x32 HD, which is a fantastic binocular in itself.

5. Interesting that it came without a case of any kind, but has nice ocular and objective covers, and a standard strap. No big deal to me since I use a ACG bino pack or harness.

That's all I can think of at this moment. Did I mention how bright and sharp this thing is?

Wow now you have my interest as I know you have used a lot of quality optics and know what you are talking about. The price of these bino's paired with reports like these make them very attractive.

Do they look like they can be mounted to a tripod with an adapter like the Outdoorsman's bino adapter?

Last edited by STS45; 07/14/16.

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Who names these things?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Who names these things?

huntsman was already taken.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Who names these things?

laugh
Kinda like the names of all the new drugs advertised on the 6 o'clock news.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Who names these things?

I figured Tract was urban youf for "we conTRACT to have these built"...

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Who names these things?

grin

A name that doesn't have some sort of a trademark associated with it - general industry or not, is actually a bit of a challenge. And particularly when lawyers are involved - poo poo'ing everything with even a whiff of risk associated with it.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Johnny, so lemme get this straight - you ordered a bino to experience it firsthand rather than speculating on its performance? This is far too rational and pragmatic for the optics forum. laugh

Thanks for the initial thoughts - it sounds pretty dang nice.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
How is the field of view in comparison to other optics? Is it > 420' at a 1,000 yards?

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by STS45
[quote=JGRaider]

Wow now you have my interest as I know you have used a lot of quality optics and know what you are talking about. The price of these bino's paired with reports like these make them very attractive.

Do they look like they can be mounted to a tripod with an adapter like the Outdoorsman's bino adapter?

Hi STS, yes sir, they are tripod mountable via the 1/4" threading.

Trevor
Tract Optics
www.TractOptics.com

Use discount code: 24HOUR5 for 5% off your order!
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Old Ornery
How is the field of view in comparison to other optics? Is it > 420' at a 1,000 yards?

I can answer that quickly....not anywhere near 420', more like 38'. Irrelevant to me though. This thing has WAAAAAAy sharp glass.

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by sawbuck
Who names these things?

I figured Tract was urban youf for "we conTRACT to have these built"...

Correct, like 90% of everyone else does.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
How much out of pocket?

“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”
― Ernest Hemingway
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Who names these things?

huntsman was already taken.

lol

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
JG, I've used a good quality 7X50 for years but have always wanted to try an 8X40/42. powdr

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
I'm probably going to add stuff as I get to it, and because I'm 55 and will forget if I don't...

Build quality much better than anything I've seen from China, and on par with the Meopta HD and Leupold GR HD, which is a huge compliment.

Glass is brighter, crisper, and sharper than my 10x42 Gold Ring HD, which is a huge compliment. Can't see more detail with the GR, which is a surprise because of the 10x vs 8x differential.

Glass is brighter, a touch sharper than my 8x32 Euro HD, which is a huge compliment. Sorry if this is repetitive.

Depth of focus is very deep. I can focus on a target 400 yds away, and a target at 200 yds away is in focus as well. Impressive. Speaking of focus, I hate a binocular with a fast focus. Seems I can never hit sharp focus the first time around because it takes going back and forth very, very slowly to hit the sweet spot. The Toric is not a fast focus, therefore it is very easy to "ease" into a very sharp and focused view quickly, without much repetitive effort.

Field of view remains sharp out to near the edge. Not SV like, but excellent anyway. Maybe 90% of FOV is very sharp.

Only nit I can pick so far is that you have to work at getting the binocular set up right to begin with, fiddling with the eye relief and IPD is mandatory for getting the best view. When you hit the sweet spot, the view is really outstanding.

Last edited by JGRaider; 07/15/16.

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Rifles And More
How much out of pocket?

I'll address this like this........Everyone here at 24HCF is offered a discount by Trevor @ Tract from another thread. I bought mine like everyone else can. My thoughts and experiences are not for sale and cannot be bought by Tract, Swaro, Leupold, Meopta, or anybody else. I call it like my eyes see it, period and am not afraid of what anyone thinks, afterall it's just optics, it ain't life or death like some make it out to be.

I'm not insinuating anything towards you Rifles and More, just wanted to get this out there for the record, as they say.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Who names these things?

They're obviously aiming for the younger more virile market; if they were going after me its be "over in milliseconds" or "stop looking and change your shorts".

Seriously thanks for this report JG I really appreciate you take the time & energy and definately consider your report of a great deal of value!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

684 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 16gage, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 67 invisible), 3,056 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,847
Posts18,478,353
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.