Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 22 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 21 22
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Hot da m, these 1911 subjects are all most as fun as mini-14-AR15 rants.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Good magazines are a critical component to reliability with these pistols. I keep a few Chip McCormick Powermags around simply because those specific mags have proven to work across a broad spectrum of pistols. I also have a few of the same outfit's 'Classic' 8 round magazines. I haven't used them nearly as much as Powermags, but I've never had a problem with them either.

I've also had perfect function from Metalform blue 7 round mags with the rounded follower and welded baseplate. This is not to say there are no other good 1911 magazines out there; bit these are the only ones I'll use with a pistol slated for defense or duty carry.

Last edited by SargeMO; 07/17/16.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by BobWills
What ain't practical is get caught somewhere when a bad guy comes in and starts shooting up the place and there you stand with no 1911 auto. Talk about not being practical? Funerals ain't practical unless they are for the bad guy.

Well I ain't got no 1911 auto. I guess none of my other pistols will work. WTF?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yee haw. Don'tcha just love a good goat roping contest? And it's only mid July. I can't wait till the middle of August to see what yawl do around here. Heck Viking, I didn't know they even still made mini 14's. I figured they would have all been used for tomato stakes by now. grin grin

Last edited by BobWills; 07/17/16.

Despite what your momma told you, violence does solve problems.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by viking
Hot da m, these 1911 subjects are all most as fun as mini-14-AR15 rants.

I have not tallied the number recently, but I've owned about 20 1911's over the years. Some I sold even though they worked fine, some didn't work well and got sent down the road. I'm down to 9 of them in various calibers and configurations.

I've tried to like Glocks & Sigs and never can warm up to them. Or I'd buy one and find flaws in it. Now the HK P30LS works very well for me, so I think it is fine as far as high cap 9mm's go, and the manual of arms is enough like a 1911 that it is easy to transition.

1911's all have their quirks as far as reliability. You need to test them for reliability with a preferred load and magazine. Once proven for a few hundred rounds, they may need cleaning every few hundred rounds, or a recoil spring change (depending on the quality of the springs) every thousand rounds or so, but within those constraints, they seldom give trouble.

Yes magazine capacity is a real issue. You simply have to ask yourself if more than 8 shots is required. They are generally easier to shoot accurately than other pistols - and yeah I know some will vehemently argue that point.

I drive a fairly new Jeep with a manual transmission; some people would call it impractical, but I think it is very practical, for my specific reasons. The 1911 still works very well, for some people.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
After reading the last 4-5 pages of this thread, I can really understand now why some people think that anything read on the innanet is complete non-sense.

MM

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
After reading the last 4-5 pages of this thread, I can really understand now why some people think that anything read on the innanet is complete non-sense.

MM

I also caught the "Some people shouldn't own a 1911" comment.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, I did say that & it's still the one on-going truth in this litany.

Maybe I should have said, "better off not owning a 1911".......is that better?

Don't know if you belong in that category or not but you did say that you own one.

MM

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Don't know if you belong in that category or not but you did say that you own one.

MM

Oh yea, that's actually better. There are a lot of people that just want simplicity that works. Makes sense to me why you changed your statement.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by smallfry

Oh yea, that's actually better. There are a lot of people that just want simplicity that works. Makes sense to me why you changed your statement.
Because he feels some misconstrued it when he stated it the other way.

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

MM

I own a Delta. That may not be a true 1911.

I owned a Springfield not long ago and it shot like a sumbitch.

Dave

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
people who reload and blow case heads, probably should stick to 1911's...

smirk

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
After 10 pages, we finally get it settled. grin
Here is what this thread says:
1) The 1911 is a POS
2) Some people should not own a POS
3) Some guy knows a friend that had a POS and he didn't like it
4) Some posters say there is a better pistol out there and they name their favorite
5) Posters who are very familiar and highly experienced with the POS are ignored
6) Posters who wouldn't recognize a POS extractor when they see it are taken seriously
7) People who know nothing about a POS post their opinions
8) Those who really know and understand the POS are left wondering WTF??
9) Opinions are like azzholes: everybody seems to have one even if it stinks

Now that we have that settled, let's get to the really important stuff like who's got the cold beer?

Last edited by BobWills; 07/18/16.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

smirk

You screw one goat...

Clark

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Bob,

I like the way you think. If you lived anywhere near me, I'd invite you to my log cabin and pour you a cold Staropramen.

Don

NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
And if I was near, I'd gladly accept it Don. Thanks. I am born, raised and have always lived in the deep south, but one of the neatest things that happened to me is when I was being processed for my Navy discharge at the Brooklyn Naval Station in New York. There was a group of us there and our Navy service was over and we were all petty officers, so we didn't have anything to do but wait for the Yomen to process the paper work. My orders read: report to the duty officer at Naval Station Brooklyn, New York by 0600 hours 17, June, 1967 for out processing.

In the meantime, those of us waiting for out processing and final orders were free to come and go as we pleased. All we had to do was muster every morning with the master at arms and be accounted for. One of the guys waiting there was from up state New York. He and I got to talking about hunting and we went to the Chief Master at Arms and told him where we wanted to go and got permission to be gone for three days. We went up in the Catskill Mountains to his family hunting camp and I met some really good deer hunters. My family also had a hunting camp down south, so we just hit it off like we were all old friends. Until then, I had never thought of New York being anything other than New York City. WOW!! What a difference it is in upstate. There are some real Americans up there. I have never forgoten that experience and it completely changed my views about the state of New York. I always tell my southern friends that there are two New Yorks: The city and upstate.

Last edited by BobWills; 07/18/16.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
As a matter of fact, I have owned several makes of auto pistol in .22, 9mm,.45 and 9X18 including 1911s...at one time or another and for various reasons they have ALL failed. ALL.

I don't mean continuous, chronic failure but I mean at least once in a while. I have a hard time really trusting any self loaders. This has been my experience.

Various reasons also include my probably faulty handloads, poor technique by me ,but mostly faulty magazines....i think if push came to shove I would probably rely on my Security Six and Speed Six revolvers even though I CC auto pistols because they conceal better.

"an armed society is a polite society"
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It's the truth that scares 1911 owners $hitless. 90% of all 1911 conversations are about how to make it more reliable or defending the reliability of the 1911. Congrats?

Last edited by smallfry; 07/18/16.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

smirk

Blowing case heads on a double stack guns must really be fun.

Smile, your on U tube now -fun.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smallfry
It's the truth that scares 1911 owners $hitless. 90% of all 1911 conversations are about how to make it more reliable or defending the reliability of the 1911. Congrats?

<shrug> use what you like. I shoot the 1911 faster & better than other guns, and they conceal, & fit my hand better. The good ones are fine for reliability.

Page 12 of 22 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

686 members (204guy, 160user, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 63 invisible), 2,257 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,840
Posts18,496,815
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.