Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
These guys have been flying over our house for the past two days and now I can see the smoke plume from the fire from our house.

[Linked Image]

The wind also seems to be kicking up.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That would suck...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'd guess it better to see them and the smoke, than the smoke alone.

Haven't lost anything to a fire, but came damn close in 2011 so I know the feeling.

Will keep y'all in thoughts and prayers

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good thing for us the wind is blowing the other way, bad thing is the wind was blowing pretty good last night and really kicked up the fire.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Looks like the wind is shifting again, can see the smoke from the ridge above our house.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
This is concerning... you don't live that far away from me smile

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
No, that's downright disturbing wink

You'll have to stop by and help me polish off a growler if our house is still standing after they have the fire contained.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Might be the McHugh creek fire? Just read a blip that 2 firefighters were hospitalized with exhaustion and dehydration.

If this is the same fire.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yes, it's a very difficult fire to fight as it's on very steep ground (literally the side of a mountain) with deep canyons. Add to that the weight of fire fighting equipment, high heat and breathing smoke and my hat is off the hot shot crews and the pilots that have been fighting the fire.

[Linked Image]

So long as the wind doesn't change direction and drive the fire down the inlet towards Potter Valley the firefighters should be able to stop the fire as it climbs the peak. Looking at the smoke today it appears the fire is working it's way back up the valley to McHugh lake which is just parkland, albeit a beautiful part of the park.

[Linked Image]

I'm thankful to have been able to get a lot of hiking in that area this winter and summer as after the fire the area is going to have very unstable hillsides for quite some time.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
that is great looking country. Nature can be cruel, but almost always rebounds big time.

Hope you and others are staying safe.

No way I could ever pack the gear those hotshots do anymore at my age and in that terrain

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

I would take issue with that statement were it not for its factual basis. Property values dropped in our neighborhood as soon as we moved in, and that seems to be a trend.

Pretty sure the fire will stop when it hits "treeline" in the vertical direction. Not so sure about the horizontal. We live in a truly terrible area for fires, given the beetle kill and annual 7'+ grass/pushki growth.

A fall fire would be particularly disastrous for us, because we see winds that rival the arm. I need to hang an anemometer one of these days.

Count me in for the growler, but you already knew that...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That sucks. I truly hope the fire is contained soon and you suffer no damage.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cwh2

I would take issue with that statement were it not for its factual basis. Property values dropped in our neighborhood as soon as we moved in, and that seems to be a trend.

Pretty sure the fire will stop when it hits "treeline" in the vertical direction. Not so sure about the horizontal. We live in a truly terrible area for fires, given the beetle kill and annual 7'+ grass/pushki growth.

A fall fire would be particularly disastrous for us, because we see winds that rival the arm. I need to hang an anemometer one of these days.

Count me in for the growler, but you already knew that...

If you fling arrows, I've managed a 50yd range at home.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 458 Lott; 07/20/16.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Not to be the guy that always one-up's people (I know a guy that's way worse about that than me) but I think we are good to 70.... could go further, but I'd have to start mowing the muni's grass, and that ain't gonna happen.

Still, arrows and beer is always a good combo.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I think I can stretch it to 70 if I shoot from the other corner of the lot, but more of a chance of a putting an arrow in a winter tire, or the neighbor's dog.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You'll have to stop by and help me polish off a growler if our house is still standing after they have the fire contained.

Wear boots.
wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
For BS or spilled beer?

If we make it through tonight without being evacuated and the rain comes Friday we should be through the worst of it. But the winds are supposed to build this evening pushing the fire our way.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
High time to say a few words for the fire to go out, will do here.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Well, the rain is here... smile

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
thats good news.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

280 members (160user, 2500HD, 338reddog, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 257 mag, 23 invisible), 1,924 guests, and 928 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,505
Posts18,490,634
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.