Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
From NY Daily News (LEFTIST rag)
Attacks in Dallas and Baton Rouge show police officers need to be better equipped to deal with active shooters
Tweet

email
NYC PAPERS OUT. Social media use restricted to low res file max 184 x 128 pixels and 72 dpi
NYPD Police Officers Rafael Ramos and Wenjian Liu were inside their patrol car when they were executed by a cop-hating lunatic in December 2014. (JAMES KEIVOM/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS)
BY
PATRICK J. LYNCH
SPECIAL TO THE NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Wednesday, July 20, 2016, 6:35 PM
By now, it should be clear to everybody that the dangers that police officers face on the street have reached critical levels. Over the past 10 days, we have seen eight of our brothers ambushed and murdered — and 10 more wounded - in Dallas and Baton Rouge.

Though some may claim otherwise, these attacks are not isolated or random acts. They are part of an escalating pattern of violence that is being fueled by an extremely dangerous and disturbing anti-police climate that has developed in the United States.

Beverly Blakes, the aunt of fallen Baton Rouge policeman Montrell Jackson, hugs Kedrick Pitts, the half-brother of slain Baton Rouge Policeman, Cpl. Jackson, after visiting Montrell's mother's house in Baton Rouge, La., Sunday, July 17, 2016.
38 PHOTOS
VIEW GALLERY
Multiple Baton Rouge police officers shot dead
New York City police officers experienced this pattern firsthand when Police Officers Wenjian Liu and Rafael Ramos were assassinated while sitting in their radio car on a Brooklyn street in 2014.

EUO 3TP
Gavin Long, who served with the Marines, was heavily armed when he opened fire on cops in Baton Rouge, La. (HANDOUT/REUTERS)
Now, even as we stand together with our fellow law enforcement officers to honor the fallen, the NYPD and police departments around the nation are continuing to receive a stream of threats against the lives and safety of police officers. Some are credible; some aren't. But we need to be prepared for all of them.

Baton Rouge shooter ranted to friend before cop killing rampage
(L-R) Baton Rouge Police Officer Matthew Gerald, Montrell Jackson and Brad Garafola were killed by gunman Gavin Long in Baton Rouge, La.
(L-R) Baton Rouge Police Officer Matthew Gerald, Montrell Jackson and Brad Garafola were killed by gunman Gavin Long in Baton Rouge, La. (AP)
The chilling reality is that New York City police officers aren't prepared. The average police officer on patrol, the one who answers the 9-1-1 calls in your neighborhood, is woefully ill-equipped to protect herself or himself from a heavily-armed attacker bent on killing as many police officers as possible. Nor is he or she equipped to face down the type of active-shooter attack against civilians that we have seen again and again across the country and around the world.

BEST QUALITY AVAILABLE AP PROVIDES ACCESS TO THIS PUBLICLY DISTRIBUTED HANDOUT PHOTO PROVIDED BY THE NEW YORK POLICE DEPARTMENT
Officers Rafael Ramos (l.) and Wenjian Liu were assassinated while sitting in their patrol car in Brooklyn. (UNCREDITED/AP)
The police officers assigned to your local precinct are equipped with only a 9-mm handgun and a basic bullet-resistant vest designed to stop a low-velocity handgun round. That's it. With that equipment, they're expected to face down attackers who may be outfitted with assault rifles, body armor, explosives, or — as was the case with the Dallas and Baton Rouge shooters — military tactical training.

NYC PAPERS OUT. Social media use restricted to low res file max 184 x 128 pixels and 72 dpi
PBA boss Patrick Lynch said police officers lack the proper equipment to confront attackers packing assault rifles and body armor. (JAMES KEIVOM/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS)
That is why the NYC Patrolmen’s Benevolent Association has repeatedly asked for the NYPD to adequately prepare our members to respond to active shooter attacks by providing police officers on routine patrol with long guns, ballistic helmets, and bullet-resistant vests capable of stopping a high-powered rifle round, along with the appropriate training. We aren't seeking to have a cop with an assault rifle posted on your corner, but this vital safety equipment must be readily available, in the trunk of the patrol car or in the nearest police facility, to be deployed at a moment's notice.

We first requested this equipment after the Mumbai terrorist attacks in 2008, and we have repeated it after every active-shooter-style attack that has followed. We have noted time and again that NYPD policies dictate that the first police officers on the scene of an active shooter incident — usually officers on routine patrol — must engage and neutralize the threat in order to prevent further loss of life. Unfortunately, our requests have fallen upon deaf ears, despite the fact that state law requires an employer to provide adequate safety equipment.

Top Kansas GOP pol blames Obama for 'hostility' toward cops
Instead, the NYPD's response has been to increase the number of specially-armed and trained units. Specialized units are necessary, but experience demonstrates that they are not enough. The NYPD indicates that it is currently able to deploy specialized units to any location in the city within seven minutes, but a 2013 FBI study of 160 active shooter incidents found that 70% of the attacks were over in five minutes or less. The cops on patrol in your neighborhood could be there in half that time, but when they show up, they will be badly out-gunned. The same FBI study found that 47% of police officers who engaged an active shooter were shot themselves, and 20% were killed.

Remember: Police officers are no longer simply responding to these attacks. We are now targets ourselves. Are we really willing to roll the dice and hope that New York City police officers are never placed in a dangerous situation like the ones we have seen these past two weeks? For the sake of our city — for your families and ours — we cannot take that chance.

Lynch is president of the Patrolmen’s Benevolent Association, the city’s largest police union.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The idiots don't practice with their friggen pistols and they believe any rifle is their answer??? Jackasses.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did I read that right that all officers aren't given vests?

OK, re-read it.

They have basic vests, but no protection against high powered rifles.

Last edited by RWE; 07/20/16.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
IIRC the NYPD carried S&W Model 10s well into the 'modern' age....

And didn't practice with or clean them...

Last edited by ingwe; 07/20/16.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
How much vest does it take to protect from a high power rifle, probably from the side? Neck? head? What needs to be is these guys unceremoniously executed, and not in 20 years.

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
It just shows you, 35,000 armed Yankees aren't worth 100 rednecks.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by ingwe

It took the death of a rookie cop by the name of Scott Caddell Who was shot in the head while reloading his revolver, The perp had a semi automatic high-capacity 9 mm handgun. After his death they were issued speed loaders and the cops wanted semiautomatic handguns . It took seven years for them to get issued semiautomatics 1993,first was the transit Authority cops, that forced Commissioner Kelly to issue semiautomatics to the NYPD and housing.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Where were the Rednecks in Dallas?

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
And you missed the point.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe the NYPD can all drive around in Lenco Bearcats and force speeders to insert their drivers license through a Tactical Tax Port....

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by BamBam

It took the death of a rookie cop by the name of Scott Caddell Who was shot in the head while reloading his revolver, The perp had a semi automatic high-capacity 9 mm handgun. After his death they were issued speed loaders and the cops wanted semiautomatic handguns . It took seven years for them to get issued semiautomatics 1993,first was the transit Authority cops, that forced Commissioner Kelly to issue semiautomatics to the NYPD and housing.

So he missed with the first six rounds? ....the next six wouldn't have mattered either I guess

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by SBTCO

So he missed with the first six rounds? ....the next six wouldn't have mattered either I
guess

Yes he missed the first six shots, he had a Ruger revolver he unloaded the revolver and he did not realize one round didn't eject. As he was attempting to reload the Purp( Jamaican) saw him fumbling with the gun walked up to him and shot him in his head. They found five live rounds with one spent cartridge in the revolver.when he attempted to close the revolver it would not close. Would six more rounds made a difference? I don't know, but I know if he had a Glock 19 with 16 rounds he would've had a better chance. They got rid of the Ruger's after that. Kept the Smith & Wesson model 10. Most plainclothes carried two revolvers, a New York reload.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
It just shows you, 35,000 armed Yankees aren't worth 100 rednecks.

That which has been posted so far shows no such thing.

Most among us can find/cite examples where LEOs have not properly maintained their equipment and have not practiced/trained/performed well. Not good - but occasional human failure runs through every field, including highly trained/equipped miltary folks.

"Standard" police equipment has evolved according to the conditions extant, and the NYPD union requests seem not unusual. When a kid, the normal equipment was a .38 Special revolver, a lead filled "sap" and handcuffs on the belt while walking a beat (which most policemen did all day/night), and the two or three police cars for a city of 65,000 were 1947 Ford Coupes - maybe with a radio. During and after the 1960s such equipment changed in that city.

The current conditions in most big cities, and the devices available to bad guys, place those LEOs in some demanding and very dangerous circumstances (not to rule out the difficult conditions for LEOs elsewhere). I don't have any soft spot for the NYPD folks - that city has the resources to do right by their LEOs, and it should. And, few bad examples do not mitigate the need expressed.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

So he missed with the first six rounds? ....the next six wouldn't have mattered either I
guess

Yes he missed the first six shots, he had a Ruger revolver he unloaded the revolver and he did not realize one round didn't eject. As he was attempting to reload the Purp( Jamaican) saw him fumbling with the gun walked up to him and shot him in his head. They found five live rounds with one spent cartridge in the revolver.when he attempted to close the revolver it would not close. Would six more rounds made a difference? I don't know, but I know if he had a Glock 19 with 16 rounds he would've had a better chance. They got rid of the Ruger's after that. Kept the Smith & Wesson model 10. Most plainclothes carried two revolvers, a New York reload.

Sounds more like an issue with a failure in training and mindset rather than equipment. You can miss just as fast with a Glock as you can with a revovler.

― G. Orwell

_Eileen Clarke

- Alexander Hamilton

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

guess

Sounds more like an issue with a failure in training and mindset rather than equipment. You can miss just as fast with a Glock as you can with a revovler.

Firearm extracted five rounds it jumped the rim on the spent case. It was equipment failure not training not mindset! He had five rounds put into the weapon, Training kicked in, he did his part! but it would not close because there was a case that was not extracted. This is why they stop using Ruger revolver's. Still I don't know if he had more rounds if he would be able to hit the guy, none of us know that. But I know this it would've stop the perp from advancing, With much faster reloads.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
BamBam,

Only hits count.

― G. Orwell

_Eileen Clarke

- Alexander Hamilton

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
BamBam,

Only hits count.

No chit, unfortunately it doesn't always work out that way, given the best training doesn't mean it always work's out like that. He was fresh out of the academy a month and a half. Scott is dead because he missed. He did not have a back up he did not have a partner he was by himself. But you cannot tell me that he would not of had a better chance with a higher capacity firearm! You go tell all of the police offices throughout America to go carry a six shot revolver.and tell them, all you have to do is not miss.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I always thought the 12 gauge with buckshot was a good law enforcement tool.

By the way Steelhead the Yankees won the civil war. I read that I wasn't there.
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
BamBam,

Only hits count.

No chit, unfortunately it doesn't always work out that way, given the best training doesn't mean it always work's out like that. He was fresh out of the academy a month and a half. Scott is dead because he missed. He did not have a back up he did not have a partner he was by himself. But you cannot tell me that he would not of had a better chance with a higher capacity firearm! You go tell all of the police offices throughout America to go carry a six shot revolver.and tell them, all you have to do is not miss.

You're right, he's dead because he missed, six times. A Glock would have allowed him to miss ten more times. I own both revolvers and autos and would pick an auto over a wheel gun for SD every time if given the choice. But if forced to carry a revolver for a service gun I sure as hell am going to learn to operate the thing with authority to save my butt in lethal confrontations.
A firearm is only as legitimate as its user.

― G. Orwell

_Eileen Clarke

- Alexander Hamilton

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
BamBam,

Only hits count.

You're right, he's dead because he missed, six times. A Glock would have allowed him to miss ten more times. I own both revolvers and autos and would pick an auto over a wheel gun for SD every time if given the choice. But if forced to carry a revolver for a service gun I sure as hell am going to learn to operate the thing with authority to save my butt in lethal confrontations.
A firearm is only as legitimate as its user.

you think. You have no idea how you will react, none! Operate that thing with authority, That right there is funny! Good luck.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (219 Wasp, 10gaugemag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1234, 1lessdog, 62 invisible), 2,337 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,325
Posts18,487,480
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.