Dave
Blasphemer!!!

GB1

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
This one worked quite well on my 1st tour. No upgrades, no feed ramp grinding/polishing, no 500 round break-in. Shot to point of aim at 10 yds with ball and performed as expected when I used it on someone.

I put two magazines thru it to function test, loaded the others I had and carried it daily on combat patrols. Too easy.

But...I wouldn't have felt sorry for myself if I had a Glock 17 instead. I like a 1911 though, because I sent so many rounds downrange using one while assigned to the Army Pistol Team.
Bob

[Linked Image]

Last edited by RGK; 07/21/16.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
There was a 1911 only survey by manufacturer over on the 1911 forum as well.......maybe 2-3 years ago.

MM

Here is the one I mentioned - scroll down to the 2nd post for the tallies:

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=252140&highlight=200+rounds

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I never had a clue how unreliable the 1911 is until I started using gun forums for entertainment.

I have a Colt in .38 Super that I got used, and don't recall ever having an issue with it.

Just bought a Kimber .45ACP and so far it has funtioned perfectly.

I have a few other pistols in the the house or family and the only finicky one was a Sig P938 and that was sorted out pretty quickly.

I must be really lucky.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I hear you Big Nate. I was recently reading various reports on the Internet about a guy in Texas driving his 2007 Toyota Tundra truck a million miles. One of the stories is here -->> http://www.trucktrend.com/features/1607-toyota-buys-victor-sheppards-million-mile-2007-tundra/

You can find more by Goggling million mile Toyota truck if you are interested.

At the bottom of one of the stories were about a hundred comments from various readers. I was amazed at how many of the comments were negative. People commented yeah, but he had to replace the timing belts. Yeah, but he had to replace the alternator. Yeah, but he had to replace the shocks.

The truck had been driven an authenticated one million miles with no failings of a major component and people were finding fault with it. Automotive engineers were amazed by it. Automotive production people were amazed by it. People who know a heck of a lot about trucks were amazed and impressed by it and Toyota bought it to study it so they could make more like it.

But the average Joe? Naaaaaw. A million miles doesn't count because the guy had to replace the alternator and the average Joe wouldn't own a truck like that. His Ford/Chevy/Dodge/Nissan/whatever is a lot better than that lousy Toyota Tundra.

These negative remarks about the 1911 are right in line with those made about the million mile Toyota Tundra. And people who think like that explains how Obama got elected twice.

Last edited by BobWills; 07/21/16.

Despite what your momma told you, violence does solve problems.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A high percentage of people are just dumber than ratshit and incapable of completing basic maintenance on anything more complicated than a screwdriver. They will leave it out in the rain and spend 45 minutes writing an internet rant because it rusted, when it wouldn't have taken 45 seconds to oil it- or put it back in the toolbox.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Thanks, I've just always been a fan of Colts.
[Linked Image]

The three of those collectively won't see 1K rounds in the next five years.

Dave

you must not be a psychic...or a woman, but I'm sure you thought your post was relevant and semi-correct, but sorry to disappoint you.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SargeMO
A high percentage of people are just dumber than ratshit and incapable of completing basic maintenance on anything more complicated than a screwdriver. They will leave it out in the rain and spend 45 minutes writing an internet rant because it rusted, when it wouldn't have taken 45 seconds to oil it- or put it back in the toolbox.

Are you intimating that perhaps those people would be better of not owning a 1911??????????? frown

MM

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by SargeMO

I like the way you think. A toolbox is not complete without a 1911 in it.

... or a different gun of your choice.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]
The Stag on your DGFM is absolutely stunning. Makes me regret buying ivory.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
on reading this thread, i pulled a couple of 1911's out to dink with.
grandson was over doing cooley labor for us.
and there was the series 70, sitting in a galco holster.
and i remembered his brother.
After buying this little gem, i pulled the collet bushing out and replaced with a standard bushing.
and at the time handed it to his brother, at the time maybe 20years old, never fired a 1911 before.
He nailed six out of six pop cans set out about 10 to 15 yards.
It must not have heard that it was suppose to break.
the only real problem i personally have ever had was that 2000dollar plus tweaked gold cup.
Until i figured out the guy before me had to light a recoil spring in it for the ammo i was using..

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
and i just got to thinking again. another little 1943remington gem acquired by the former owner for about 20bucks through the nra. He replaced rear sight and front, with an adjustible to shoot bullseye, I think. Came with about three barrels, all WWII military.
I think he was dinking with it. Always works, but just feels a little funny. Maybe i need to dink with it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How many rounds do you carry on you every day? That's how many rounds your pistol needs to shoot with no malfunctions every single time. The rest is warm & fuzzy margin...some require a 2,500 round warm & fuzzy, some require a 250 round warm & fuzzy. But in the entirety of humanity, I have found NO record of anyone ever shooting more than 100 rounds from a single handgun in a firefight.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

Are you intimating that perhaps those people would be better of not owning a 1911??????????? frown

MM

Actually, as dumb and uninformed as many of their comments are, some of those people should not own ANY firearm since basic firearm mechanical operation and maintenance principles are obviously beyond their ability to comprehend.

Last edited by BobWills; 07/22/16.

Despite what your momma told you, violence does solve problems.
O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by GunGeek
How many rounds do you carry on you every day? That's how many rounds your pistol needs to shoot with no malfunctions every single time. The rest is warm & fuzzy margin...some require a 2,500 round warm & fuzzy, some require a 250 round warm & fuzzy. But in the entirety of humanity, I have found NO record of anyone ever shooting more than 100 rounds from a single handgun in a firefight.

This is the issue. Most people don't shoot 500 rounds of center fire handgun ammo a year. I shoot that in a afternoon a lot of times.

I have seen more "hard used" 1911's that look like they just came out box than any other type of pistol. Those pistols aren't being used for anything other than conversation pieces.

Kevin how many rounds you got through your new hi power?

Dink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DINK
Kevin how many rounds you got through your new hi power?

Dink
I've only had it for a few weeks, and I really don't carry it yet, so only a couple hundred.

And Dink, I get that you shoot a lot. But you seem to think that anyone who doesn't CURRENTLY shoot as much as you do, just doesn't understand what you do about guns. I can pukkin-A guarantee you this, if you keep it up at your current levels, you'll start to catch up to me in about 10 years.

I don't shoot nearly as much as I used to because mostly I don't have to. I can get VERY high quality training at the range in under 100 rounds*...but I guess you require about 1,000 rounds per session to walk away with anything meaningful. I can still pull off an El Presidente in the mid to low 6's, and I can hit a milk jug at 150 yards off hand damn near every shot; so I'm eeking by...just barely.

But your hyperbole that you spew just doesn't match up with reality. 90% of this thread is flat rejection of your statements, yet you persist to tell us all that our experiences aren't really happening.

So either you live in some alternate dimension, have the worst freaking luck on Earth, or your statements are just WAAY overblown.

I know a thing or two about pushing handguns hard, I've been doing it for just over 30 years; how long you been doing it?

*that doesn't mean I only shoot 100 rounds each range session.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
[Linked Image]
I thought i would post this. might even be a lesson here, or two, or three.
this remington was a midwar 1943 or 1944, I would have to check records.
it was acquired by a friend through a surpus program through the NRA, I think he paid 20bucks for it.
He had a few spare military barrels with it, acquired, i don't know. But He was a camp Perry shooter for quite a few years.
translated, for various reasons he knew what he was doing.
He did replace the rear sight with a (at that time) adjustible rear, and the front with a higher than the way it came. I don't know where he got the bushing, but it ain't original, gun locks up tigher than a drum. It does shoot good.
I managed to acquire a military rear for it, not installed, and would love the correct front, neither of which i intend ever to install, just to have them with the gun.
The good Lord only knows where it's been, but as they say, it shoots good.
As much as i like glocks, they have no soul compared to this.
Now you slap it in a sears 1942 military holster, with a lanyard, you got's soul.
He did modify it some to shoot some competition type things, but no modifications were made that were drastic, and i think it would work pretty good for purpose intended. Putting two or three 230 gr ball rounds into someone's chest at ten yards or so.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
It's funny, but i have seen quite a few 1911's, military, from WWI until they quite making them. Military that is.
I have seen a few, that were brand new, in the kraft boxes, with a known history.
And i have known a few guys that have used them to put holes in people in nasty places say vietnam and so on.
Most of these guns were not super tight.
But that wasn't as important as the fact they went bang, bang.
nobody was splitting hairs on an eighth of an inch at 25yards.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I should also add as soon as c.m.p. starts selling the 1911's, sign me u p.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by GunGeek
[Linked Image]
The Stag on your DGFM is absolutely stunning. Makes me regret buying ivory.

I like Ivory as well. I bought those close to twenty years ago for around twenty bucks and those Model 1927s have a unique hue to their bluing that makes them stand out rather nicely. I've had that pistol since the 80s and it flew with me during most of my career.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Page 19 of 22 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

89 members (AnthonyB, bbassi, 10gaugemag, BALLISTIK, beefan, 6mmbrfan, 11 invisible), 1,287 guests, and 970 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,230
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.