Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Looks like I need to replace the plugs in the wife's expedition which has a 5.4L engine. I believe these are the dreaded 2-piece plugs that are notorious for breaking off.

Have a CEL now and guessing it might be plugs. Will be checking in to that later today.

So, if I need to replace these, what are the best hacks for changing these out and avoiding the break off?

Montana MOFO
GB1

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
My advise is to bite the bullet and pay the dealer to replace them. Those plugs are designed to go 100,000 miles. My 6.8 V10 had a bad coil at approximately 96,000 miles so I had the dealer do the plugs and the coil.

I am told also that after 100,000 miles coils do start to fail so I should purchase a new one, around $60.00, and keep it in the truck.

I was told by a mechanic, that should know, that if you sprayed penetrating oil down on the plugs and let it sit a day or two you could remove the plugs without breaking them or stripping the heads. The obvious problem with that is if you cannot get one or more plugs out after that your plugs are ruined and you will be towing your truck to the dealer.

For the dealer to do this was around $300 or $400 for 10 plugs plus coil, I cannot remember, but if you grew up in the 1960 and remember plugs cost $ 0.89 but only lasted 10,000 miles if you were lucky plus inflation the cost is not much different per mile.

I do a lot of my own work on my truck but sometimes it is just best to let someone you has done 100's of these repairs handle the work, in my opinion.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Take it to an expert. I have the Triton 4.6 and in 4000 miles it's going to the Ford dealership. I'm not trying to do this one at home.

kwg

Last edited by kwg020; 07/22/16.

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Nothing I've seen works all the time. In fact, I would almost bet none of the special techniques make much difference. Sometimes they come out good, other times they don't. I thought I was pretty good, would work them back and forth a bit and use penetrating fluid and had done several trucks without a breakage. Of course, the next one I did every single one broke off. Get the removal tool and go at it, the tool works well and doesn't take too long. Some of the suggestions I've seen would require several days to complete the job, and I really don't think they help much. Doesn't hurt to do coils while your in there, they like to crap out right after plugs are done it seems.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Scroll down to the links on spark plug changes:

http://www.f150forum.com/f4/stop-before-you-post-read-common-useful-links-42829/

"Remember you need both the electrode extractor and the porcelain extractor sets described in TSB 08-7-6!"

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Yup,
We've faced it in the shop for several years. Some penetrating oils help, but what do you do if they can't wait. Champion makes a one piece plug and that is what we use. As mentioned above, some break and some don't.

Last edited by butchlambert1; 07/22/16.
T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Had them replaced on a V10 Excursion and a previous expedition. Little spendy for plug swap. Broke a couple off in each case which added to the labor charge a fair amount.

Montana MOFO
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I just traded in a f150 with 220k, and still on the factory plugs. You sure that's the problem?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My advise is to bite the bullet and pay the dealer to replace them.

Take it to an expert.

Good advice.

And watch what the Mechanic might want to do. When I had mine done, the 1st shop I took it to wanted to change the coils, also, and wouldn't accept the job unless I accepted his demand... Loose estimate, $850.

Obviously, I accepted his challenge and took my business elsewhere.......

At the second shop, they did an analysis, replaced the plugs and two coils....$325. The two coils that were replaced were done so after I was contacted and advised that, though working fine, they were weak and could cause issues.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I did mine with no problems. I used the Ford TSB as a guide. I recommend going with the Motorcraft plug as a replacement since the TSB steps eliminate plug separation in subsequent tune ups and a one piece plug isn't required.
Here is a link to my experience:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1074539-adventures-in-spark-plug-changing.html

I don't eat anything that didn't have a mother.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Why do people patronize a company that does things like this?

LOL
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The difference is Toyota can fix their screw up. Can Ford? Nope.

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Christ is everyone in Oregon a idiot.

Tarkio I did mine and it wasn't too bad. Make sure to blow off the top of the coil packs with compressed air before removing the as the dirt and small pieces of gravel like to set on top of the coil packs and will fall down in with the plug if you are not careful. Once you have the coil packs off spray some good penetrating oil around plugs. Walk away and let it set for a couple of hours. Loosen the plugs a little at a time and then run them back in progressing farther out each time. I did this on mine and ones that I waited on came out no problem the first two broke because I was impatient. With the removeal tool it is no big deal to remove the broken ones. If you can get the penetrating oil in while the engine is still hot it will penetrate better and faster. Good luck you can do this if you have any mechanical skills at all.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 7mmMato

I've spent a lot of money repairing Fords. I only have one left. You can kiss my ass.

LOL
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Fireball2

I had the plugs and coil packs replaced on a F150, the dealer did it in an afternoon. It's not a big deal, hell they might have broke one off but I'd never know. Drove the pickup another 40-50k miles and traded it in. Still see the old fine '99 rollin' around town.

Little easier than replacing a rusted out frame.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
What year, how many miles? I have changed mine 2x without any problems. 1st time was the hardest at 100k. Let it sit overnight to cool the engine. Pull C.O.P. (coil on plug) and blow out with compressed air around the plug. Break each one loose 1/4 turn and soak with penetrating oil, have a beer or 2 while waiting. grin Mine screeched like crazy but they came out.
I found that Ford was cheaper that autozone for the plugs. Use anti-sieze on the plugs only where it says to.

If you youtube it there is one guy using an impact wrench to remove them. Crazy.

Last edited by RoadRunner65; 07/22/16.

Only a dingleberry, not yet a Turdlike person, maybe someday!!!
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I am happier than a retard in a room full of bouncy balls right now!!

Joe.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SamOlson

I had the plugs and coil packs replaced on a F150, the dealer did it in an afternoon. It's not a big deal, hell they might have broke one off but I'd never know. Drove the pickup another 40-50k miles and traded it in. Still see the old fine '99 rollin' around town.

Little easier than replacing a rusted out frame.

A replaced frame is a solution, replaced plugs is temporary until next time.

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 7mmMato

I've spent a lot of money repairing Fords. I only have one left. You can kiss my ass.

Mark a spot you are all ASS. If a spark plug breaking on removal upsets you but a Toyota's bad brakelines, Stuck throttles and rotting frame rails dont then you must be from Oregon.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
A replaced frame is a solution, replaced plugs is temporary until next time.

Its called a tune up.

Only a dingleberry, not yet a Turdlike person, maybe someday!!!
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I am happier than a retard in a room full of bouncy balls right now!!

Joe.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

105 members (300_savage, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 1badf350, 338reddog, 16 invisible), 1,898 guests, and 838 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,447
Posts18,528,806
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.