Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
All:

My wife really likes this breed and wants to get one someday. Does anyone here have one, or had one in the past? If so, what was your experience with this critter?

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Memories...

The females are sweethearts, very good dogs, naturally protective of their people but still sociable. The males can be fine as well, but unless you plan to breed, I would have them neutered.

Mauser was 116 lbs, all muscle. He could be touchy with adults, but one time a ~4-5 year old boy tried to tackle him, before the boy's father or I could stop him. Mau thought it was great fun, and licked the kid's face. Our hearts started again.

A teenage boy once tossed him a football, despite me warning him Mau would chew it up. He basically destroyed the football in one bite. They are powerful animals, and thorough obedience training and socialization is a must.

[Linked Image]

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Great dogs that need structure, purpose, and training to be at their best.
Most guys just don't have the time or inclination to make a great Rott.

Our old yard/guard dog Lucy was 1/2 Rott, 1/2 shaggy farm dog. A sweetheart that looked like a stone cold killer.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

My last one was a very large female that was a big baby. The smartest, easiest to train and best dog I have owned. They need to be trained early, it needs to be consistent and firm. They are extremely powerful and they are highly intelligent.

Mine would obey me or dad anywhere at anytime. She could give 2 schits what mom told her to do. Never had any issues with her and mom she just didn't really care she she told her. I assumed it was tone of voice.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
A guy in our marina had one he kept on the boat with him. Poor boat had belonged to some friends of mine before he bought it, and he and the dog basically ruined it - not the dogs fault. He also took it offshore with him, but one trip he couldn't find the dog after he tied the boat up!Figured it went back in the cockpit and fell or jumped overboard a few miles out. He immediately drove to the beach, found it playing with some kids a few miles from the jetties, where it had swum ashore!

I should mention the old boy drank A LOT!

Mike

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
A guy in our marina had one he kept on the boat with him. Poor boat had belonged to some friends of mine before he bought it, and he and the dog basically ruined it - not the dogs fault. He also took it offshore with him, but one trip he couldn't find the dog after he tied the boat up!Figured it went back in the cockpit and fell or jumped overboard a few miles out. He immediately drove to the beach, found it playing with some kids a few miles from the jetties, where it had swum ashore!

I should mention the old boy drank A LOT!

Mike

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by johnw
Great dogs that need structure, purpose, and training to be at their best.
Most guys just don't have the time or inclination to make a great Rott.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This.

They are dogs for 'dog people'....if you don't understand them,you are getting a liability. If you do understand them, you are getting the best friend you'll ever have.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
My Mom has kept rotties for nearly thirty years. My favorite was her first, a male. He came from near Portland Oregon, and was stunted due to salmon poisening as a pup. I would guess he grew to an adult size of just over fifty pounds.

In those days, we were at Mom's house with our kids four or five days a week. My six year old son became great buddies with her dog.

Then, Mom bought a large female to breed and sell a few pups.

A couple days later, we were down visiting. My son was running circles around the house with the small male bouncing at his side. As they made the third or fourth lap, they rounded a blind corner and surprised the new female.

They were just around the corner from me. I could not really see the dogs, but I heard a snarl from the female, then silence.

It took me a couple seconds to get there. When I rounded the corner, the little male was still holding the large female pinned to the ground by her throat. And he was not letting her go.

Mom came around the corner a bit later and gave the Dutch command for release. And he turned the bitch loose.

My son said he never saw any thing like it. The female snarled and the male just instantly grabbed her by the throat and threw her to the ground, despite the fact that she outweighed him by twenty pounds.

That first male had very extensive training before Mom acquired him and was one of the best dogs I ever knew.

Mom has had rotties ever since, but none of them had much training except to kennel or sit. And I would not give two bits for any of her subsequent dogs.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Just a quick note about the rottie.

They are often compared to the sharpei, and pit bull, and recognized as a ferocious fighting dog.

It takes very little research to determine the differing origins of the breeds. Rotties were bred from cattle herding dogs. They are shepards at heart.

The genetic tendencies are much different than those of a breed whose ancestors were selected for blood sports for centuries.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had two, will have a third when I retire. Like every guard dog breed, there is greater liability than every other breed.

Dave

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'll second what John W, Ingwe and a couple of others have said.

Train early, Train often, extremely smart, loyal, protective mostly, and remember they were not originally bred as pets, they are working dogs and like to have a a "job" (more training). A half hour or so a day working with them might do the trick. For their size they can excel at agility and are most assuredly capable of championships in obedience.

And before I forget, find a responsible breeder. Like some other breeds, backyard breeders have a tendency to select for undesirable traits like aggression and size.

Good luck,

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
They are not my cup of tea but I am certain that there are many fine specimens among them. They are a little too protective for my taste.

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My female is about 3 in the photos, my male around 8 weeks and later 8 months. We lived in the ghetto and my female was awesome at her job, out during the day patrolling the full perimeter fence around the property and inside at night.

Neither were difficult to train. As soon as they were fully vaccinated we took them everywhere to socialize them, especially public places. At the parks most everyone wanted to stick their faces right up to them, kids pet them and other dogs reactions varied of course.

As they grew up both developed a clear sense of "space" typical of the breed, outside of the fence or vehicles, they were normal and approachable, inside their "space" and they had a job.

I will get another female, easier in the long run in my opinion.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Dave

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
The only two I have ever been around were owned by single guys. Those dogs were gentle giants. I guess those guys just spent a lot of time with them.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have owned a male and female. The female was a rescue, the male came from a very good breeder . One of my favorite breeds and miss not having them around , they unfortunately did not last long. I will get another Male when I retire .

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
After having Damien a 135 lb. male for 12 years its very hard to get a Rot again. Very intelligent, loved all children, was trained to blood trail deer and used him to drag deer out of the woods.

If I were to get a Rot again, I would stay away from American blood lines because they are bred more for size with longer legs. Where the traditional German is smaller with a shorter legs and less chance of hip problems.

Also investigate your home owners insurance, there's a lot of companies that will not insure you if you have a Rot or will raise your rates.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by coyotewacker

Also investigate your home owners insurance, there's a lot of companies that will not insure you if you have a Rot or will raise your rates.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This.

Pit bulls are a no-no and many companies wont insure you if you have a German Shepherd. I learned that quickly and last time I was shopping for home owners insurance and questioned about what kind of dog I had..it was an Alsatian.Ignorance springs eternal, so that worked.

Don't know if there is a pseudonym for Rottweiler though.......

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've only had 1 experience with one. I used to be a roofer. We went to a rental house on a ranch to check out a roof leak. The lady wasn't home but she had a Rot inside that about ate the door when we knocked.
There were a half doz other rentals nearby with lots of little kids running around.
We went back to do the job and the lady was out of town. The dog had been left in the care of the ranch mechanic who kept it in his shop down the road. Somehow the dog got loose from him and it took up residence at the foot of our ladder waiting for us to come down and play. We had to radio the boss to call the ranch to come get it before we could come down.
Later the mechanic walked down to talk to us with the dog on a leash. Luckily it was winter and I was wearing a heavy coat because the dog pulled the leash out of his hand and grabbed my arm. He only got coat so I got lucky.
They realized that a dog like that and all those kids running around was a recipe for disaster so when the lady got home, she was greeted with an eviction notice.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Had an intact male for 8 years. Raised with our 3 kids. Nary a bite. However his mere presence kept many an unwanted visitor in their car until we came out of the house. Even when he was in a kennel with a hard roof...

Get 'em young, 5 or 6 weeks. Spend a BUNCH of time with them. YOU have to be the Alpha male, ALWAYS. If ya ain't a dog person by nature, look elsewhere. Definitely, find a reputable breeder.

Then enjoy one of the best friends you will ever have...

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by coyotewacker

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This.

Pit bulls are a no-no and many companies wont insure you if you have a German Shepherd. I learned that quickly and last time I was shopping for home owners insurance and questioned about what kind of dog I had..it was an Alsatian.Ignorance springs eternal, so that worked.

Don't know if there is a pseudonym for Rottweiler though.......

Sure there is... MUTT....

Lady that owned a store over here in Wilderville had one...

once day while washing her dishes, she looks out the window to see a young male cougar in the yard, and her kids are playing on the side of the house outside in the sandbox...

she ran to grab her husband's rifle in the closet... she recalled see the hair on the back of the Rott's neck going up.. while she went to grab the rifle, the Rott went thru the screen door.. thru the screen...

by the time she got there with the rifle, her Rott was prancing around with a few bleeding spots here and there, but essentially circling one dead cougar, which turned out to be a little over a year old, and weighed 110 lbs according to Fish and Wildlife....

Made me look at them in a new light...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1936M71, 12savage, 1lessdog, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 160user, 58 invisible), 2,527 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,679
Posts18,474,956
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.